Michael Tsang - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Consultant Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to operate with good technical support and great performance
  • "The performance is good. It's stable and easy to operate."
  • "The product should be competitive with other brands."

What is most valuable?

The cache functionality is great.

Technical support is helpful and very knowledgeable of the product.

The initial setup is pretty simple.

The performance is good. It's stable and easy to operate.

The scalability is very good.

What needs improvement?

The price can be dropped a little bit. The product should be competitive with other brands.

The technical support around the world can be a lot more open as you cannot search all the KBs or the community for support. Most of the time, you need to call HPE directly. The solution really just lacks documentation.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. The performance is very good.

We have found the solution to be scalable and simple to expand as necessary. However, you need to do the sizing properly at the outset.

HPE SimpliVity
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE SimpliVity. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Technical support could be better as the documentation doesn't help you avoid calling them. You often need to reach out.

While their technical support is good and the staff is skillful, every time you could avoid the need to process a phone call if you could just Google it. We'd like the answer to just be available and easy to find online.

The setup process is simple and straightforward. it's not overly complex or difficult. I'd rate the process of four out of five for the general ease of deployment.

It's a pretty expensive solution.

Technical support is included in the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise potential new users to ask a lot of the standard questions. For example: what are you going to use within the solution? You need to check the expandability as you need to use the same capacity that you are purchasing. You need to understand if you need a small, medium, or large capacity.

There are different sizes of hardware. If you want to do an expansion, you need to think about if are you going to expand and where and what you will need, and whether that's in the near future, or maybe three or five years later. That is the consideration you need to keep in mind from the outset.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Head of ICT Infrastructure at a construction company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A complete hyperconverged solution with useful hard disk compression capabilities
  • "I like HPE SimpliVity's hard disk compression capabilities. The data is compressed into very little space or volume. I think that the principal value of HP SimpliVity is its capacity to compress the data, and I'm saving a lot of disk space using SimpliVity."
  • "HPE SimpliVity could be more flexible and scalable. I don't feel SimpliVity is flexible or easily scalable because I still need to buy another server to add to my clusters. I can't just run or harvest and add to my solution. I need to buy another server. There are a lot of components that are not giving a lot of value to me right now. I also had a few problems with the built-in hard disk drives. I've had many issues with the harvest stripes that the servers use. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's unusual to have a physical failure on the HPE platform. I don't see any value at the software level, especially in the software that manages that solution. I was waiting for something, especially in the application layer that I would use, but that is all over VMware, and it doesn't have an integrated module that I can use to manage the server and all the instances."

What is our primary use case?

I use HPE SimpliVity for my private cloud, and all my production servers are running on this private cloud. My ERP software and the most important system, SAP, is running on HPE SimpliVity. Their metal server is physical, but all the other digital ecosystems or digital platforms are running on my private cloud in SimpliVity HPE.

What is most valuable?

I like HPE SimpliVity's hard disk compression capabilities. The data is compressed into very little space or volume. I think that the principal value of HP SimpliVity is its capacity to compress the data, and I'm saving a lot of disk space using SimpliVity.

What needs improvement?

HPE SimpliVity could be more flexible and scalable. I don't feel SimpliVity is flexible or easily scalable because I still need to buy another server to add to my clusters. I can't just run or harvest and add to my solution. I need to buy another server.

There are a lot of components that are not giving a lot of value to me right now. I also had a few problems with the built-in hard disk drives. I've had many issues with the harvest stripes that the servers use. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it's unusual to have a physical failure on the HPE platform. I don't see any value at the software level, especially in the software that manages that solution.

I was waiting for something, especially in the application layer that I would use, but that is all over VMware, and it doesn't have an integrated module that I can use to manage the server and all the instances.

HPE SimpliVity could be more scalable.

I think the initial setup was easy. It was really fast.

The technicians assigned by HPE implemented this solution in a very short time. At most, it took about two or three days. It was really amazing. It was very simple, and they helped us migrate the materials and the digital machine.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give HPE SimpliVity an eight.

I trust HPE a lot because it's an excellent product. I think SimpliVity is a better solution than other basic HPE solutions. Maybe not the best, but it's a good solution.

HPE SimpliVity
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior IT Specialist at Servicios de Consultorias de IT
Stable solution with easy initial setup
  • "In terms of HPE SimpliVity's most valuable features, its backup integration is a good thing. Its performance is very good as is the whole integration."
  • "The local support in Argentina is not good. This is a new technology and HP doesn't have a lot of technology specialists here in Argentina. It's very hard to find the specialist here."

What is our primary use case?

Our clients' primary use for HPE SimpliVity has been for general infrastructure, not for any one specific thing. This includes different uses - for the server, SQL, the internal information server, different servers, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

The backup solution is a good functionality that the client is very happy with.

What is most valuable?

In terms of HPE SimpliVity's most valuable features, its backup integration is a good thing. Its performance is very good as is the whole integration.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what should be improved, I think that the local support in Argentina is not good. This is a new technology and HPE doesn't have a lot of technology specialists here in Argentina. It's very hard to find the specialist here.

Additionally, the price must be better. Here in Argentina, Dell is very competitive. If the client doesn't understand the functionality that SimpliVity has, he will chose by price, and Dell is very, very competitive here in Argentina.

Lastly, Stretched Cluster is a new functionality and is something that the client needs.

We have been using HPE SimpliVity for two to three years.

The stability is very good. Stability is not a problem.

Our clients are small and medium-sized businesses, so we implement small infrastructures - three nodes to five nodes.

Our clients are very happy with this solution. I don't know if they will buy more SimpliVity though.

Here in Argentina tech support is very hard to find. But, if we scale our problem with external support in, say, the United States or another country, it's good. Here in Argentina, though, it's not good.

Initial setup is very simple. It takes one or two days.

Dell is a competitor, as is Nutanix.

Dell is a good solution and is cheaper than HPE, but their support is bad here in Argentina too. We've found that the client likes HPE because he knows it.

For now Nutanix is still very small here in Argentina.

What other advice do I have?

We recommend our clients use SimpliVity.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give HPE SimpliVity a nine.

Shehan Attapattu - PeerSpot reviewer
head of presales at a integrator with 11-50 employees
Stable and easy to deploy with good technical support
  • "The solution is very stable."
  • "The backup and recovery process needs to be faster. Right now, it's a bit slow."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the virtualization and the hyper-converged solutions in the software backup and recovery as well as the high data reduction rate.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The installation is easy and the deployment is quick.

The configuration is pretty easy. It's a pretty out-of-the-box solution and comes mostly pre-configured for you.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to improve the high data availability.

The backup and recovery process needs to be faster. Right now, it's a bit slow.

There needs to be more customization capabilities available for customers. That's lacking and clients would really like it if they could better customize the product to better fit their needs.

While the company has worked with the solution for about two years at this point, I'm a newer member of the team and don't have quite the same level of experience.

Our organization has found that the stability of the product is quite good. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's been good.

We have about five different customers who are utilizing the solution currently.

The technical support is quite good. We're satisfied with the level of service provided. They are knowledgeable and responsive.

The installation was very straightforward. We didn't find it overly complex. We didn't run into any difficulties in the implementation process.

The deployment was fast and only took about two or three days or so.

We're a solutions integrator and therefore we are able to implement the solution ourselves. We don't need the assistance of consultants.

There are licensing costs involved as virtualization comes pre-packaged in the solution.

What other advice do I have?

Our organization is using the latest version of the solution.

We're both integrators and implementors.

I would recommend the solution to other organizations. It's so far worked well for us and our clients.

Overall, I would rate the product at a nine on a scale from one to ten.

MunawarKhan - PeerSpot reviewer
Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Single management of the complete stack, fast creation of VM systems, and very good support
  • "Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast."
  • "Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market."

What is our primary use case?

I am not an end-user. I am a Solutions Architect, and I design solutions based on SimpliVity. Our F&B clients use it in their companies.

What is most valuable?

Our clients are very comfortable with the single management of the complete stack. The creation of VM systems is also very fast.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. Customers always look for better prices. It is more expensive as compared to other products available in the market.

It is stable.

Technical support is very good for HPE. As compared to other vendors, HPE provides better support for all products, not only for hyper-converged solutions.

90% of our business constitutes HPE solutions. Customers who have a certain set of protocols from their other sub-regions or head offices go with other vendors. We don't have any choice on that.

Its initial setup is a little bit tricky. The actual setup itself takes less time, but it is the planning that takes more time. As HPE claims, an organization can reduce the time drastically and set it up within 30 minutes, but that is a theoretical duration. Practically, it takes longer.

Customers always complain that SimpliVity is a little bit higher in price point as compared to other solutions available in the market.

What other advice do I have?

If an organization's IT team does a complete planned implementation, then that process will be very easy and very quick. If you plan properly before implementing it, you would feel the value of the product. If there is something wrong with the planning, then definitely your expectations from the product would not be met. In my opinion, most of the time, organizations invest in solutions, but they don't invest in the proper resources and implementation. It would be good if people can use HPE's expertise so that they have a greater experience when they invest in these solutions, and they are able to see the value of the solutions implemented by the experts.

I would rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of 10. I would like to see improvements in terms of the setup and the price. No customer will have 100% satisfaction, but we can raise the bar of satisfaction when we overcome these hiccups.

Presales and Consulting at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Good scalability and excellent technical support
  • "The solution is scalable and one of the best in the market."
  • "The solution wasn't able to connect to the cloud, and there's no micro-segmentation. The configuration of this solution is also complex."

What is our primary use case?

We sell SimpliVity to our customers along with all products that can be categorized as hyper-converged infrastructure. I'm a consultant in pre-sales, and we are resellers and distributors.

How has it helped my organization?

We find the solution exciting and rewarding. When we first began with the product, we realized that it wasn't for larger markets. It was meant for only small business enterprises. But with time, the product expanded to incorporate larger markets and became more appropriate for our market. So it's more of an exciting experience these days.

What is most valuable?

SimpliVity's ability to scale a product like Vmware to the cloud is one feature we found most valuable. SimpliVity is great for small companies. It's a nice product, and our customers are really happy with it. HPE focuses on VMware, and it really shines as a VMware. It's a very good design, and they've put some serious thought into the infrastructure.

What needs improvement?

The solution has a complex configuration. So I think they should simplify the con. They should go back to having special hardware for the compression with T2, so you don't need to have a big processor if you use just one processor.

We've been using it for about five to six years.

The scalability of this solution is great but could be better.

The technical support was excellent.

The configuration was a bit complex.

The pricing is fair. However, there's no need to base the pricing on the number of processors you have. The pricing goes up if you are trying to use two CPU configurations.

What other advice do I have?

It's a great choice for people who run small businesses, and their storage capacity doesn't expand more than the number of their virtual machines. The solution doesn't support storage-only nodes. It only supports compute-only nodes, so you have to buy a new license when you increase storage by buying a new node.

I'll rate it an eight or nine out of ten, I think it is one of the best in the market.

Raphaël Julmy - PeerSpot reviewer
Architecte Infrastructures at IT-Med
Simple to manage and simple to implement
  • "Its simplicity is most valuable. The management is easy, and you don't have to have a lot of knowledge about storage, network, etc. It is simple to manage and simple to implement, and that's its key feature."
  • "I would like some reporting about backup and replication."

What is our primary use case?

We are an SIEM integrator. We are working with a lot of products that our clients have, and we are studying products in our clients' production.

It is mostly used for remote sites. It is sometimes also used for production. Its version depends on the customer.

How has it helped my organization?

SimpliVity is integrated into the virtual center, so there is no additional management software or management interface. It's quite simple to manage because there is only one interface. It is all in one, which makes it different from other solutions.

What is most valuable?

Its simplicity is most valuable. The management is easy, and you don't have to have a lot of knowledge about storage, network, etc. It is simple to manage and simple to implement, and that's its key feature.

What needs improvement?

Its scalability can be improved. When we put a lot of nodes, sometimes, its performance decreases. Its price can also be improved.

I would like some reporting about backup and replication.

I have been using this solution for about four years.

It is quite good. It is really stable. We have no issue with performance.

Its performance decreases when we have a lot of nodes.

It is suitable for small, medium, and large companies. It can be used in almost all companies.

It is pretty good. Their support and maintenance are really good, but the installation services that HPE provides for SimpliVity are sometimes not so good.

It was quite straightforward. Now that I know how to deploy it, it takes less than 30 minutes.

Our company provides the implementation services. The maintenance of hardware and software is done by the vendor.

Its price is pretty good as compared to the other solutions, but it is quite expensive if we compare it with non-HCI solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to give it a try. We did a lot of proof of concepts where we just put a node, and the client tried it.

I would rate it a nine out of 10.

Professional ICT at a non-tech company with 11-50 employees
Beneficial data compression, excellent support, and highly reliable
  • "The HPE SimpliVity disc compression is very valuable."
  • "In the next release of the solution, they should make updating the solution easier. Currently, we have HPE doing it for us but I would like to be able to do it."

What is our primary use case?

We are using HPE SimpliVity in a water distribution facility and for computer administration backups.

What is most valuable?

The HPE SimpliVity disc compression is very valuable.

I have been using HPE SimpliVity for approximately

HPE SimpliVity has been stable for us in the two years we have been using it.

The solution is scalable. If we want to expand then we only need to purchase new nodes and set them up.

We have approximately 100 users using this solution.

The technical support and support, in general, are very good. When I had discs that stopped working, they sent the disc to be on the same day. They are very good.

We are using VMware and HPE SimpliVity together. The backup and the decompression of the files are very useful. Previously the updating was not easy when I only used my servers alone. However, with the HPE SimpliVity, it's updating the firmware and VMware in one step.

I have used Nutanix and updating the system was simple, HPE SimpliVity could improve in this area.

The installation with VMware was fine. We are using VMware on this solution, and there are a couple of new features.

We used HPE for the implementation of the solution because they were able to provide us with a guarantee. I could not do the process myself. It took approximately two weeks.

We have one engineer that does the maintenance of the solution.

It did not take me long to see a return on investment when using HPE SimpliVity.

There is a one-time purchase needed for the license for HPE SimpliVity. The solution is expensive, but it is worth the money.

What other advice do I have?

I rate HPE SimpliVity an eight out of ten.

Download our free HPE SimpliVity Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022