We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Service Manager at a consumer goods company with 51-200 employees
Easy to use, responsive interface, and has an extensive and easily-accessible icon library
  • "How easy it is to use is the best feature."
  • "I would like to have a dark mode, but the option is not available."

What is our primary use case?

I used this product for coursework in a design class as a university student. It was primarily for UML diagrams, activity diagrams, and several other diagrams that are typically used in IT.

How has it helped my organization?

I find the intuitiveness of the user interface to be very good. The main benefit to using this product was how much more quickly I could get things done, and this is because it was more intuitive than the other options. It is also responsive, and I've actually saved a lot of time using it compared to a few other options that I tried.

For example, I tried for approximately four hours to get one particular diagram working using Draw.io and Visio. I finally gave up when I couldn't get it working, then it took me about five minutes to complete it with Lucidspark.

I have used the Lucidspark whiteboard to brainstorm ideas with group members for group activities, albeit the collaboration was not always virtual. We were together in the same room. However, it is good because it helps to keep everything organized and it's easier to distribute if you've got an electronic copy.

It is important to point out that we did use it for collaboration, although it was more of a visual tool to help us get everything in front of the group. After that, we moved our points to a more organized spreadsheet. We would use it as a tool to keep it on task while we were talking over Discord.

As part of our work, we used it during remote sessions. I found that it's always a bit harder to keep people on the same page when it's not in person, but everybody was paying attention.

We used both Lucidspark and Lucidchart. Lucidspark was used primarily for group work, whereas Lucidchart was used for generating reports and whatnot. The combination of the products was helpful in terms of visualizing each step of the process. Overall, the suite is easy to use and there are no really annoying idiosyncrasies that I had to learn.

Using this product helped to boost the productivity of our working sessions. We were doing some front-end design of an app, and there were times when we couldn't meet in person. Being able to quickly draw something up so that everybody could see it, made the process much easier.

What is most valuable?

I enjoy being able to just use an endless canvas because I tried using some other apps and they were a bit fiddly to deal with. For example, I had a lot of arrows and Draw.io was very annoying. I also used a different, industry-based application, Visio, and that was just hopeless.

How easy it is to use is the best feature.

What needs improvement?

Initially, I was a little confused about how to get to the different projects.

I would like to have a dark mode, but the option is not available.

When I was making some of the charts, some anchors were a bit annoying. I had trouble keeping everything lined up where if I moved a section over to add to a chart, it became a bit more difficult to get everything back into line. I had to go through each element that I'd moved because sometimes it would end off by a few pixels, which really annoyed me.

I used Lucidspark for approximately three months, over the course of a semester at university.

The stability was good. I didn't have any particular issues with availability or performance.

For the scope of the work that I had to do, and the level of collaboration involved, I did not have any issues with scalability. I didn't really have to consider how much further it would need to expand.

I tried using Draw.io and Visio. What I really liked about Lucidspark is that all of the specific icons were available and easy to find. Each kind of UML diagram that I wanted to work on was already included.  I didn't have to go hunting around for those and that they also work seamlessly.

For example, I had to do some curved arrows to and from certain boxes and it was really difficult to make those symmetrical using Draw.io. However, I could do this pretty easily in Lucidspark.

The initial setup was very simple. I just had to sign up and then it was available in the browser, so there was very little setup. All of the things that I needed were just modules I had to open. I skipped the tutorial, so I didn't need that. It was very easy.

I have definitely seen a return on my investment. For the amount of time that I saved, even for just one sticking point, in particular, I felt it was a good ROI. The reality is that it saved me a lot of time and I'm pretty busy, so that was very important.

As some of the charts that I was using had a couple of hundred elements, I needed to use a paid version of Lucidspark. The pricing is very reasonable. It is more expensive than some of the free options out there but much cheaper than Visio, and it works much better.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is to just give it a try. It has basically the same interface as Draw.io, which I know a lot of people are using, so they may already be familiar with it. The difference is that some of the annoying factors of working in that system were eliminated.

For example, with Draw.io, you really have to manage what's in front of what. Whereas in Lucidchart and Lucidspark, it was much easier to keep people organized, especially as an interactive task when collaborating.

One of the features available is the Collaborator Colors, where users can be assigned certain colors for their notes and other contributions. We did not use this feature extensively. Rather, we all got our thoughts out, transferred the dot points, and kept track of who is assigned tasks by using the collaborator colors. Essentially, it was our tracking mechanism.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Seye Kuyinu
Agile Coach at Beeline
Helps us be more organized in facilitating meetings, but the UI feels very basic
  • "The solution’s virtual whiteboard for brainstorming is great. It feels like I have an endless board where I can zoom out and draw everybody to what I'm looking at. It's invaluable, especially right now when most people work remotely."
  • "There is room for improvement with the user interface. It almost feels "uncooked." It sometimes feels like a prototype rather than the real thing."

What is our primary use case?

I'm an Agile coach, so I use Lucidspark to facilitate retrospectives and user-story workshops.

We're using the latest web version.

How has it helped my organization?

As an Agile coach, where I'm currently working, Lucidspark enables me to create a kind of a forum to collaborate. Whether it's with games, whether it's with discussion, whether it's brainstorming, having a tool like Lucidspark has definitely helped us to be more organized in the way we facilitate meetings. Having something that we can present to people and get them to engage with has been very valuable.

I'm also able to use the solution to prioritize ideas. We use Lucidspark for story-boarding and story planning. When I'm facilitating meetings, I get the product owners to talk about features that they want to develop and then put them on the board. Then, I assist the process of discussions where they prioritize the items that they wrote in their sticky notes. As a result, we're able to collaboratively see the prioritization of the work items. We then end up exporting what we've discussed in these meetings to the tool that we use for product development, Jira, and take it from there.

And it allows us to sort ideas, especially when I do retrospectives with my teams. I'm able to ask questions about things that went well and what didn't go well, based on what people put up on the board. I'm able to categorize them and talk about them, and that really does save us time in our meetings. That's especially true in collaboration, with everybody looking at the board and seeing what I'm talking about or what somebody else is talking about. It does save us time rather than getting people to just talk.

In terms of the productivity of our brainstorming sessions, it has probably made us 80 percent more efficient. With things like story-writing sessions, rather than getting people to talk about the user stories they want to work on, or having them go off to Google Sheets, having everybody work together to put their ideas out there and then sort and prioritize those ideas, definitely saves us time, compared to copying and pasting things from Excel documents onto very flat document structures.

What is most valuable?

The sticky notes are the most valuable feature we use in Lucidspark. In a lot of the meetings that we conduct, we want people to be able to express themselves. They can grab sticky notes to write down an idea they're thinking about. Using the sticky notes, we can talk through each of the notes that my teams use, or we can sort them based on the kind of feedback we're getting from the questions we throw at them.

The solution’s virtual whiteboard for brainstorming is great. It feels like I have an endless board where I can zoom out and draw everybody to what I'm looking at. It's invaluable, especially right now when most people work remotely.

I have also integrated Lucidspark with Microsoft Teams, so that it is connected to my team's daily stand-ups. While people are talking, or they have ideas, or they need to have a discussion after the meeting, they can just grab a sticky note and place it there. That's something that is publicly available for everybody else on the team. This is an important capability.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement with the user interface. It almost feels "uncooked." It sometimes feels like a prototype rather than the real thing.

I have been using Lucidspark for about a month now. I started this job recently and, so far, this is what we've been using. The company itself has been using it for a few months. All our users are scrum masters and Agile coaches.

I haven't experienced any outages or latency problems with Lucidspark.

It scales well. I have not had any problems with scalability. We've had sessions where there have been 50 people participating and I haven't been aware of any problems. In our company, it's the product development team that uses the solution and that's about 100 people.

We are using about 30 to 40 percent of what Lucidspark offers and those features work best for what we use it for. There are other features of Lucidspark that we probably don't require. We don't have plans to expand usage at the moment.

We have not had to call Lucidspark's tech support.

I had always been a Mural person until I started working with this company. In terms of the user interface, Lucidspark feels very basic compared to Mural. The Mural interface seems a little more straightforward. Lucidspark is a little bit intuitive, but that aspect could be better. There have been situations where I was trying to look for a timer, for instance, and I didn't find it right on time. Also, when someone shares something with me or I need to look through one of the boards I created, finding it doesn't feel as intuitive as I would like.

Also, I wish Lucidspark had an iPad app. Maybe it has one but I'm not aware of it. I have to use a computer, and that is not as intuitive compared to when I was using Mural.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, Lucidspark is a very simple, straightforward application. Anybody will pick it up almost immediately.

The only tip I have is that if you're going to create a line with the arrow, you just have to select "none" for the arrow points. The line and arrow tools are the same thing. That's something that is not very obvious.

In-person meetings will always trump virtual. People like a lot of engagement, even in-person. People are more engaged when you actually see them face to face. You put out a whiteboard and marker, et cetera. With virtual, it's a little challenging because, first of all, you have to walk people who are not as technically inclined through the tool itself, and sometimes on short notice. If I have a workshop that I want to create, I first have to introduce everybody to the tool, because they don't have the time to go through the tool themselves. Remote meetings pose their own challenges.

Learn what your peers think about Lucidspark. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,643 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director Product Management at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Great templates, useful for brainstorming, and helps illustrate ideas and timelines
  • "I like the fact that Lucidspark has got all these templates that we can use."
  • "The challenge that I always face with a tool like this is how to convince other people to start trying it out. I can't say if Lucidspark does a better job than other such tools."

What is our primary use case?

I started exploring Lucidspark due to the fact that I needed some tools to help during meetings, especially during our brainstorming meetings with our own product teams. That's why I started exploring Lucidspark.

I have not yet used Lucidspark's Virtual Whiteboard for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts yet. The way I've used Lucidspark is that  I start drawing on my canvas and I screen share what I'm doing. I have not used the Virtual Whiteboards.

What is most valuable?

I have been trying to use the mind maps and the persona templates. I like the fact that Lucidspark has all these templates that we can use. However, I have not explored it as much as I'd like to. As I continue to use Lucidspark, I am exploring those templates and I'd like to keep going. So far, the variety of templates has been good.

I find that the solution helps me illustrate certain points. Sometimes when we are in a meeting and people are coming up with ideas, it helps to see them visually. For example, we were having a discussion on how our product would work and what really helped was when I put together a timeline view of the user's journey with our product. That immediately gave us perspective and we were able to pivot our meeting around that timeline discussion. Creating that was helpful, however, I probably could have created it quicker on PowerPoint than on Lucidspark.

What needs improvement?

It's not intuitive. There's the learning curve. That is my barrier to using a tool like this. I come from a background where I have used mind maps extensively, however, even to replicate the usage of a mind map in Lucidspark, I have found it to be quite cumbersome. That's why I believe there is a bit of a learning curve. I'm still trying to figure out which template I should use, whether it was the right one, and things like that.

While I am still exploring, the next thing I would look for is how I could integrate a Lucidspark diagram with Atlassian Confluence. I might also look at integrating Lucidspark with Microsoft Teams. I don't know if it does it already. I haven't looked yet, however, I would want to try those features out, if I continue using it.

I've only used the solution for a few weeks. It's been three weeks so far.

The solution may extend. The challenge that I always face with a tool like this is how to convince other people to start trying it out. I can't say if Lucidspark does a better job than other such tools.

I did not interact with technical support.

The product is browser-based. In a few clicks, I was able to get going. I was able to see what the product does.

It takes mere minutes to set up. It's not more than that.

I haven't used the solution to collaborate on brainstorming as I'm a little skeptical about the pricing, and I want to make sure that it's a useful software before I start to invest in theme-specific features and get other people also to use it. I am not a hundred percent comfortable with the software myself, however, that might change a few months down the line.

For myself, I don't know if it is worth the price, as I don't know how much I would use it, whatever the pricing might be. What I'm keen to do is keep exploring with the free version. I use it as an individual and then I screen share when I'm working with the team. I can keep doing that with my free plan, even with the number of limitations that I have. I will probably just figure out the pricing at a much later date.

I have tried Lucidchart once upon a time, however, I'm not actively trying that anymore.

The reason I tried Lucidchart was that I was on a Lucidchart page and then I was prompted to try it out. I don't know how I got in, however, I was curious. Also, someone had recommended to me the product, which was quite similar to Lucidspark, a competitor of Lucidspark called Miro. I had been exploring that for a while, and when I got this invitation to try out Lucidspark, I was more than curious to see how they compared.

The main difference I have encountered is usability. There's a way of doing things. For instance, in Lucidspark you have to get into a pan and zoom mode versus an edit mode. You have to specifically toggle between the two. In Miro, it approaches that a little differently. It does more drag and drop, and it creates a minimap for you to navigate your canvas. That's the main usability difference. Both have a lot of templates, which are good to explore. If you can structure your templates correctly, then it can lead to a very productive brainstorming session for the whole team.

What other advice do I have?

We are using a web-based application.

It's good to plan ahead when using Lucidspark. Let's say that you've got a three-hour brainstorming session and you're trying to do a product discovery workshop. You need to have your templates set up beforehand to say that this is what we're going to use. For instance, if you're going to have a persona discussion, you can't hope that Lucidspark has got good persona templates. It's better that you explore everything before the meeting and make sure that you have the right template, which you want to fill up with your team.

I'd advise those considering the solution to go ahead and create something. It's only when you start filling up your canvas with ideas that it actually appears valuable. The blank canvas can be daunting, yet, once you start filling it up with stuff that's relevant to you, it can spark conversations.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Patrick Bergeron
Assistant Director Outpatient Rehab at UC San Diego Health
Easy to use and promotes a lot of collaborative thinking and recording of ideas
  • "I like the templates that it comes with. I also like how easy it is to change colors and icons and just flip back and forth. It is really easy to maneuver and use."
  • "One of the things that I struggled with a little bit was navigating around the board. Because it's so big that when you want to find certain sections, it can be a little bit challenging to move the little box in the corner around to find where you are. If there could be more options to move around the board, that might make it easier. It can have a joystick version or something like that so that you could just manually move around, or there should be an option for a picture in the corner on which you click around to locate different items on the board."

What is our primary use case?

I've used it for team meetings where we all collaborated on different things on the same project, and then I've used it to create a lot of process maps and things to illustrate ideas and processes for the team.

I am using their web-based solution.

How has it helped my organization?

We have been able to come together to easily share and display ideas and concepts in a faster and more well-rounded way than if it was to be done with PowerPoint or something simple.

We use the Collaborator Colors feature in which you can assign each user a certain color. It is very important because we can distinguish much easily where the ideas are coming from rather than having someone's name next to it. It is much easier just to recognize colors, especially if you're working in a small team of three or four where it's easy to know that blue is one person and pink is another, etc.

What is most valuable?

I like the templates that it comes with. I also like how easy it is to change colors and icons and just flip back and forth. It is really easy to maneuver and use.

It is very easy to understand, and it promotes a lot of collaborative thinking and recording of ideas.

I like Lucidcharts as well because you can collaborate well by sharing projects with each other. You can spend more time generating the content and ideas and less time in figuring out how to use the actual product, so there's a lot more productive time versus non-productive time when you're using both Lucidcharts and Lucidspark. It is easy to move your ideas from the idea stage to execution by using Lucidchart and Lucidspark. You can export your ideas to a PDF or save them to PowerPoint or something else. It is really easy to transfer them from the website or product itself into something that you can share with your team.

What needs improvement?

One of the things that I struggled with a little bit was navigating around the board. Because it's so big that when you want to find certain sections, it can be a little bit challenging to move the little box in the corner around to find where you are. If there could be more options to move around the board, that might make it easier. It can have a joystick version or something like that so that you could just manually move around, or there should be an option for a picture in the corner on which you click around to locate different items on the board.

I have been using Lucidspark for one year.

It is a stable, consistent, and easy-to-use product. As far as the performance goes, it is really reliable and easy to use. I don't think it is so overwhelming that you get slowed down in the weeds with it.

I've never had an issue with its availability. It is always available, and I like how it is easy to access through the web.

It can convert ideas to PDFs, presentations, and things like that, which makes scaling it up very easy. Once the ideas are presented on the board, you can use them in any format that you really want to.

It is available in our organization, and we have used it in a number of process improvement classes. It is used for classes that are taught by the organization and within my department. The directors and managers use it.

I use it probably three to four times a month, and I probably will increase my usage as I become more familiar with it and certainly train others to use it. Without the visual assistance that it has provided, it would be potentially complex to share ideas and concepts. It increases our collaboration and ability to share ideas and concepts.

I have not interacted with their technical support.

I used Visio to do similar things, and it was just very complicated. It took a lot of time to understand how to use it, whereas Lucidspark was very straightforward. I didn't have to spend a lot of time reading instructions or finding out how to do things. It is very user-friendly and intuitive as compared to other solutions I've used.

It was easy. It probably took just a couple of minutes to set it up, title it, and invite the collaborators. It was easy to do all of that.

I didn't evaluate other options. I had just used Visio before, and then I tried Lucidspark and liked it a lot better.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it because of its usability. It is very easy, and you can spend all of your time generating ideas and content rather than just trying to learn the platform and how to use it. You can accomplish high speed and productivity through it, so I would recommend it.

The activity and engagement level of users during remote or virtual brainstorming sessions are comparable to in-person sessions. It is not as good, but it is much higher than just a discussion without Lucidspark. So, compared to in-person sessions, it is 75% more effective. It is certainly much more effective than if it was just being done on phone or through a virtual meeting without the Lucidspark board.

We don't use Lucidspark's integrations with third-party solutions. Lucid Suite can be centrally managed by a unified administration console, but it is not necessarily an important feature for us. I am not sure if Lucidspark enables us to prioritize ideas. I haven't gone that far into it.

I would rate Lucidspark a nine out of 10. There is a little bit of complexity in maneuvering around the board, but besides that, it is very easy and user-friendly.

Doug Strickland
Senior UX Designer at Concentric Sky
Facilitates a lot of the productivity of our working and brainstorming sessions
  • "The virtual whiteboard for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts is great. It's ideal for things like moving around sticky notes and having an infinite whiteboard."
  • "In terms of improvement, having layout guides would be nice."

What is our primary use case?

My use cases for Lucidspark are for:

• Research
  • Project Management
  • Design

How has it helped my organization?

I'm doing some generative research on some task analysis for our product. It's going to be distributed at some pretty high levels. So the simplicity of layout and organizability of it is really helpful in working with executives. I like that I'm going to be sending it out to about eight people and I can simply customize and date a document with a username and see whose document is what. It makes the synthesis of it much simpler.

Lucidspark enables us to prioritize ideas. That's exactly what we use it for. It's very important to us. The company has roadmap constraints that need to be addressed through this research. There's a large number of initiatives that are waiting for the output of this research and Lucidspak is making it happen.

What is most valuable?

Some of the text layout and text formatting of these shapes is useful. Drawing slow diagrams is pretty useful.

The user interface and intuitiveness are pretty good. Overall, I would rate it an eight out of ten. A little bit more automation, some grid snapping, and some layout options would make it a perfect ten. I like to use the templates.

The virtual whiteboard for brainstorming high-level ideas and concepts is great. It's ideal for things like moving around sticky notes and having an infinite whiteboard.

I like that you can double click on the whiteboard, on the canvas and it just creates a sticky note. That's very convenient. Formatting of stickies is also intuitive and easy. That's what stands out.

I see Collaborator Colors on our team. You can add a color to each collaboration in the document. That's a very cool feature.

Compared to in-person sessions, remote or virtual brainstorming sessions are good. It has its trade-offs. I think that sometimes it's easier to motivate and direct a group in person because you really don't know what people are doing sitting in their office at home. I still find it effective to do it virtually, you just have to be a little bit more attentive. This collaboration feature would be a good way to see who is doing what. Previously, I would have to click on a person's name and follow them around the board.

I integrate Lucidspark with Atlassian, JIRA, and G Suite. These integrations are pretty important because I find adding the step of stashing these things in a shared drive is burdensome. It saves a lot of steps that are often overlooked. It puts those documents in the cloud where others can collaborate on them. I find it's an appropriate place to put them.

I haven't yet used the features to tag and automatically group ideas but I know it exists. I'm not at that stage of research.

It enables us to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps, and less time organizing them. A lot of that analysis is done by the team in real-time. Having the ability to automate the organization would be something to look at but I don't know that it's so critical at this stage. It's built into our process.

Lucidspark facilitates a lot of the productivity of our working and brainstorming sessions. It supports shared thinking. Brainstorming is very difficult to do virtually relying on one's imagination alone. Having Lucidspark allows us to hear the thinking of a blurb and we can put elements like branding elements and colors and build a mood board to help ideate. We can have key phrases on cards that are easier to duplicate so there's not so much creation.

We use the integration with Slack in Lucidchart not with Spark.

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvement, having layout guides would be nice.

I would also like to have the ability to paginate, create a frame around some content other than a rectangle.

I have been using Lucidspark for around three weeks.

Stability seems fine. I haven't noticed any problems. It can be a little slow to start, but we haven't had stability issues.

I haven't stressed it yet. I'm just using it mostly on one-on-ones, but there'll be an opportunity in about a week that I'll be opening it up to a group of about seven or eight.

There are four users who use it. Their roles are user researcher, copywriter, sales, and UX. There are one or two staff members who maintain it. They are IT Ops support.

Lucidspark is our default tool for this. As the company starts focusing more on product evolution we'll see it being utilized more. I hope to be driving a lot of that.

I haven't yet needed to contact technical support.

I was previously using Miro. I switched because my new company wasn't using it.

There's a lot of similarity between Lucidspark and Miro.

The initial setup was simple and straightforward.

I know that licensing took a little while, but I believe a lot of that had to do with sales getting back to us.

I know that to get 10 seats for Spark is $2000 a year, which struck me as a little high.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to do your due diligence, make sure it fits your use cases, and test your integrations.

I would rate Lucidspark a nine out of ten.

Nick Kiang
Director of Business Systems at a media company with 501-1,000 employees
Helps to visualize each step of the process but is replaceable with other products
  • "The Whiteboard session feature could be the most helpful feature. It can help my organization through brainstorming and design sessions for technical tools, systems, and solutions. It's hard to brainstorm remotely and this tool will help to facilitate that."
  • "It has not affected the productivity of our working and brainstorming sessions too much."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for documenting processes.

How has it helped my organization?

The Whiteboard session feature could be the most helpful feature. It can help my organization through brainstorming and design sessions for technical tools, systems, and solutions. It's hard to brainstorm remotely and this tool will help to facilitate that.

Lucidspark enables us to spend more time discussing and revising ideas and next steps and less time organizing them. We're spending the same amount of time working through all those items. It takes the same amount of time for us to use Lucidchart as it is to use Lucidspark.

The suite is really helpful at helping us to visualize each step of the process from brainstorming additional ideas to turning those ideas into reality. I'm speaking more to Lucidchart, but also Lucidspark. I use Lucidchart and Spark pretty often. The products in the suite easily convey processes to people. They're really helpful. I think they're great workflow tools.

It is pretty easy to move our ideas from the idea stage to execution using the vendor's suite of products. We use it pretty often too. We use it to convey how the technical solutions will actually impact a stakeholder. It makes it really easy for us to give our stakeholders something visual before we've actually built something.

What is most valuable?

The sharing feature is the most valuable feature. It's been really easy to share Lucidspark boards and documents with other people.

The Lucidspark app creates a web link and you can just copy-paste and give that to anyone, for anyone to view a flow chart or document you've created, it's just like a Google doc.

The user interface is pretty straightforward. I have no real complaints. It's pretty clear what I need to do and how to do it.

So far, Lucidspark and Lucidchart have been comparable products. Lucidspark has been helpful, but it feels like there are products that can replace it and that I could use that work just as well.

What needs improvement?

The tool felt pretty similar to Lucidchart and I wasn't a super avid user of it. A lot of the features were pretty similar. I feel like they were pretty straightforward. I didn't run into any issues. And even in terms of non-issues, like enhancements, I feel like there wasn't anything I could really think of that would be helpful to improve the tool.

Creating the documents was pretty straightforward. Lucidchart has templates. I didn't use the template feature, but that was something that I wanted with Lucidchart that I saw that they had in Lucidspark, but I didn't use.

I have been using Lucidspark for two months.

It is very stable.

It is pretty scalable. It felt like it matched a lot of the same structure as Lucidchart in terms of how they organize their documents.

One of the other team members who uses it is a software developer. He helps to build and design technical shelves for submissions. I use it in my role as a manager of the business systems team. I help with the use case that I use it for which is for business analyst work that is documenting requirements and sharing process flows for the business.

It does not require any maintenance.

We did not use it that extensively and currently have no plans to buy a license. It looks like a helpful tool for the Whiteboarding component, which I'd love to use in future meetings, but I think they have a free version that I'm looking at now.

I have also used Google Sheets. I chose Lucidspark because of the free trial.

The initial setup was straightforward. I just got a license and then logged in and it was an easily true SaaS product. The moment I had the license and was able to log in, I was able to access the product and immediately start doing stuff.

If we were paying for the solution, I would definitely expect to see some return and the return would be in terms of efficiency gains. The main reason I'd want to use it is to make it easier for my online team to communicate, discuss, and brainstorm with each other. If it's subjectively easier to do that, then that feels like a return to me. It would be around 5% to 10% of a return.

There are licensing fees for some of us to use it, but I'm not sure what they are and I don't remember encountering it during the trial.

What other advice do I have?

It has not affected the productivity of our working and brainstorming sessions too much. We recently did a big overhaul on our Salesforce system for some of our logic and one of our offshore developers used Lucidspark to explain how he designed the solution that just made it really easy for us to understand. He used documentation as the technical design.

My advice would be to use it more. Use it more than I did specifically for the Whiteboarding design and scrum rituals that happen. Utilize more of the features.

I would rate it a six out of ten. It's a good product. I just don't know if it's valuable. It just seems like I could use it in Lucidchart or with other products in their suite to replace it.

Product Designer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to collaborate and easy to share amongst various team members
  • "It's easy to collaborate and it's easy to share amongst various team members. I myself am a product designer, and I found that in the past, as a project designer it's hard to work with engineers in terms of finding a product that satisfies what I need and want to do with the project designer and what they need and want as engineers. This tool is a good combination of both, and I feel like it's super easy to use. It makes a lot of sense. It's simple enough, but also has enough complicated features to make it what we want it to be."
  • "The user interface is not intuitive because I have used other applications previously, and it took a little bit more time. Once I figured that out how to save shapes, that was super helpful, but it did take probably one or two times to get there. Once I understood it, it made a lot of sense."

What is our primary use case?

We use Lucidspark as a tool to collaborate on organizing our platform architecture. The company I work for has a lot of different platforms and backend systems and we've used Lucidspark a lot to document what those platforms are, share it amongst our teams, and make sure everything looks correct. If there's feedback or changes, it's really easy to use this app to have that shared with everybody.

An example of the use case would be a request to show the entire structure of our company, data structure, and platform structure. I would create a chart with all that information. Usually, it would be from a sketch or a whiteboard drawing, and then I would use Lucidspark to make it that much more clean, clear, and editable.

What is most valuable?

The usability is overall super straightforward and it makes a lot of sense after you spend some time in it.

What needs improvement?

The user interface is not intuitive because I have used other applications previously, and Lucidspark took a little bit more time. Once I figured out how to save shapes, that was super helpful, but it did take probably one or two times to get there. Once I understood it, it made a lot of sense. I did watch a quick tutorial, which was helpful just to get a sense of how to make some changes and update everything.

I've only been using it for a very short amount of time. It's pretty new to me. I've used other products similar to it before, but I'm on a new team and so we're using this product to check it out and see how it would work from a collaborative perspective.

It seems very stable. I haven't heard of any issues with it. I know it's been tried and true with our team.

It seems to scale really well. It seems to be really easy to modify, expand on, and add on to. Currently, we have about 60 users and their roles range from data analysts, backend engineers, front-end engineers, platforms engineers, and one product designer.

I've never had to engage with their tech support but there seems to be a lot of resources.

We were using Overflow and were using it mostly just because it was familiar to us and it was pretty simple. But we switched over because Lucid is far more robust in terms of what it could do and is more geared towards the engineering team. It was also more affordable for our team.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was really easy to jump right in and figure things out. It took a little bit of time to find out some more specific things that I wanted to do, but it was pretty easy to understand and figure out.

Our engineering team does the deployment, if necessary.

We needed about three members that have access to deploy. All of their roles are various types of engineers.

Lucidspark is being used within a small portion of our team relatively extensively, but we do have plans to expand on it and provide more access to more teammates at my company. The growth will be slow over time but it surely has been growing.

It has enabled us to have the ability to ramp people up more quickly and educate employees more effectively. Even though we only have five or six of us using Lucid, we have a lot of our teammates still viewing and engaging with it. That has been extremely valuable to better document and educate our teammates on various topics and information.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to really check out all the features, see all that I can do. Understand that it's a really powerful tool and it could really add a lot of value to what your team does and how they structure everything.

I learned how important it is to have tools that allow my teammates to be able to see what's going on, make comments, make improvements, and to do it in a way that doesn't bottleneck. It has been eye-opening to see how those tools enabled that without having a ton of back and forth. It makes my job a lot easier.

I would rate Lucidspark an eight out of ten. It's a really great product. I do think that there are still possibilities for improvement and extension, or just overall ad-ons to make the user experience a little bit cleaner. But in terms of what it can do and all the additions it has, I think there's a ton of potential.

Kevin McCluskey
President at LSF Design
Allows my team to better communicate visually when it comes to explaining how different things work and go together
  • "The virtual whiteboard is useful for brainstorming and quickly drawing and getting your thoughts out without having to do a formal, formatted drawing. For example, if I am doing a Zoom call, I can just share my screen and I can draw freehand, and change colors."
  • "One thing I wish it had is, if I draw a square or a rectangle freehand, that it would actually just draw a nice rectangle; or similarly with a circle. Some sort of automatic shape recognition and formatting would be helpful."

What is our primary use case?

I have used it primarily during conference calls to share things and to use it as a whiteboard tool, so that I am able to draw block diagrams with remote people, just like I would on a whiteboard in person.

How has it helped my organization?

Lucidspark has allowed my team to better communicate visually when it comes to explaining how different things work and then how they go together. We do hardware design, primarily, so being able to show how a system goes together structurally is helpful.

It also enables you to prioritize ideas, which is important. When we are having a meeting and want to assign tasks to people, being able to prioritize what people work on first is important to us.

Overall, our brainstorming productivity has been about the same with Lucidspark as when we were in the office. But because we are working remotely, it has been a time-saver and allowed us to be more productive while being in different locations.

In combination with Lucidchart, it is helpful when it comes to moving your ideas from the idea stage to execution. It definitely helps get everybody on the same page and working in the same direction. It keeps everybody going.

What is most valuable?

It provides that functionality of being able to draw freehand. That is one of the strong points. The block diagramming and being able to draw and then erase is helpful. And then I can save a copy of it. It's great.

The user interface is good. I have used Lucidchart longer than Lucidspark, so I was used to the way their drawing tool works, and that translated well to using this.

The virtual whiteboard is useful for brainstorming and quickly drawing and getting your thoughts out without having to do a formal, formatted drawing. For example, if I am doing a Zoom call, I can just share my screen and I can draw freehand and change colors.

It's also helpful that the Lucid suite can be centrally managed by a unified administration console. Although it is not critically important, it's helpful that one person can control it.

What needs improvement?

One thing I wish it had is, if I draw a square or a rectangle freehand, that it would actually just draw a nice rectangle; or similarly with a circle. Some sort of automatic shape recognition and formatting would be helpful.

I also wish I had a pen and tablet so I could draw better. I have a hard time drawing freehand with my mouse.

I have been using Lucidspark since it was first announced in September or October, so it has been a few months.

My impression, so far, of the stability and performance of Lucidspark has been that it's great. I use it just about every day.

In terms of the scalability, I understand you can get whole teams of people working on it and that is great. We don't necessarily need to do that at the moment. At any given time there are four to six people working in Lucidspark in our company, all engineers.

As we grow our business, we will increase the number of seats that we have, for sure.

I have not needed to use their technical support.

The initial setup was very simple and very quick. There were no problems whatsoever setting it up since we use it online. There was no install. It was just a matter of logging in and reading through the instructions and getting to work.

We have definitely seen ROI. It has saved a lot of time and frustration in just doing diagramming. Things come out much easier on Lucidchart than on other tools. Lucidspark has been helpful in remote meetings. If we were all in the office, I would possibly not be using Lucidspark, but its biggest appeal is for remote access.

The pricing seems reasonable. Lower would always be good.

As far as drawing tools go, it has been my favorite. I was previously a Visio user and I find Lucidchart to be much more useful than Visio.

I have also evaluated a lot of tools that compete with Lucidchart, and I have liked Lucidchart better than all of them. It's a personal preference. It is just the way one's mind works. Lucidchart draws things intuitively, the way I would like them to be drawn, without having to figure too many different things out. I have a real problem with the Visio works, and I used to use OmniGraffle on the Mac, and Lucidchart is superior in most ways for me.

What other advice do I have?

For me, the Collaborator Colors feature is only moderately important. And when using the solution for remote or virtual brainstorming sessions the activity and engagement levels of users during such sessions, when compared to in-person sessions, is about the same.

I don't think it provides more time to discuss ideas, rather than organizing them. It's about the same as if we were all in the office and doing it in front of a whiteboard. But especially for remote working environments, it has been really handy. I like being able to export the drawing to a PDF and save it for future reference.

Overall, Lucidspark is a useful tool.