IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Easy to set up and scalable, but is quite expensive
  • "The initial setup is very easy."
  • "The operating system is very, very heavy."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the product for multiple servers and for Dynamics AX, for example, the routing server, the load balancer, the application server, and stuff like that.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup is very easy.

The scalability is okay.

What needs improvement?

The performance of VMware was better, which is why I've moved away from Hyper-V.

The operating system is very, very heavy. Sometimes the system is pretty slow. Basically, the iOS performance is very slow, as compared to VMware. They must make the OS as simple and as smooth as they can to make it more user-friendly and faster.

The product is quite expensive.

I've been using the solution for about one year.

The performance isn't that great. If can be slow.

The stability is okay. I'd describe it as between 50 to 60% stable.

The scalability is decent. I'd say that it can scale to 60 to 70%.

We've had so many issues, however, we didn't really ask for help from Microsoft. We mostly did a lot of googling and worked to figure things out on our end.

I've recently moved over to vSphere.

The product is not difficult to set up. It's not overly complex. It's pretty straightforward. A company shouldn't have any problems with its implementation.

The first time I did an implementation, I needed help from Microsoft. They assisted us originally.

The solution is quite expensive when you compare it to other products. Microsoft solutions aren't cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I have used the Hyper-V for Dynamics AX for a while, however, recently I moved to a virtual machine, VM.

I'd rate the solution at a five out of ten. It's not the worst, however, it certainly is not the best either.

I would recommend Hyper-V to users, especially if they are dealing with a Microsoft OS.

IT Infrastructure at a real estate/law firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Adequate support, easy installation, scalable, and stable
  • "The performance is very good."
  • "Failure capabilities are insufficient for disaster recovery."

What is our primary use case?

Hyper-V is a virtualization layer. We use it for all of our applications.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good.

What needs improvement?

Failure capabilities are insufficient for disaster recovery. Better disaster recovery is required.

The technical support is adequate but it could be better.

We have been using Hyper-V for 11 years.

We are working with the 2019 version. Version 2022 has been released, and we intend to update it next year.

Hyper-V is a stable product.

In our organization, this solution is used by more than 1,200 people, and that number will increase to more than 1,500 users next month.

It's a scalable solution.

In my experience, support is normal. If I were to rate them, I would give them an eight out of ten.

When you contact technical support, you will speak with a level one representative, who has less knowledge than level two and level three representatives.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Previously, I was using VMware, but it was a bit costly compared to Hyper-V.

I also question why I should pay for the virtualization when I was getting it for free with Hyper-V.

With a Data Center license, such as the Windows Data Center license, Hyper-V is essentially free. That is why I switched to Hyper-V; it met 90 percent of our requirements.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is very easy to install.

It took me two to three days to complete the design and installation.

We only need one administrator to keep this solution running.

I completed the installation myself.

We purchase the license from Microsoft.

We renew the software assurance every three years.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution.

I would rate Hyper-V a nine out of ten.

Hyper-V
May 2022
Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2022.
596,970 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Easy to set up and offers language options beyond English but can be difficult to use
  • "The interface is quite good."
  • "The product can be a bit difficult to use."

What is our primary use case?

We provide services, such as virtualization, website hosting, and some infrastructure services. We provide all the services to the public companies.

What is most valuable?

The product is a great option for enterprise-level organizations.

The solution comes in many languages. We can have it set up in Portuguese, for example.

The interface is quite good.

The setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The product can be a bit difficult to use. I find, for example, Citrix to be much less difficult.

It's hard to calculate how long we've used this solution. It's been a while.

I also work with Citrix. In my opinion, Citrix has the more complete online material.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not a difficult process.

I was not involved in the acquisition of the solution, so I do not have exact details about the pricing.

We are a public company, a government company, and, due to legislation, most of the time, we can't simply choose a vendor. If we need to acquire a contract solution, we make a technical study where the features are evaluated and the final specifications are always based on features, not on vendors, or manufacturers.

What other advice do I have?

We are service providers. We don't provide products. We are implementors.

In this company, we work mostly with on-premise solutions, such as hypervisors. For example, the Microsoft Hypervisors, Citrix Hypervisors, et cetera. Here in the company, we don't use exactly cloud solutions, or not entirely cloud. We use many hybrid solutions.

We didn't exactly choose this product. It was more a question of legacy. We've just kept using it over time. When I came to the company, they were using it, and we've continued to do so.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Systems Engineer at a educational organization with 11-50 employees
A good end-to-end solution that is easy to set up, but it's not completely stable
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's an end-to-end solution."
  • "It's not completely stable because your stack becomes bloated."

What is our primary use case?

Hyper-V acts as the hypervisor for our virtualization platform. We are using it on a three-tier infrastructure and it manages our VMs that store our files and applications.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it's an end-to-end solution.

What needs improvement?

It's not completely stable because your stack becomes bloated.

We have been using Hyper-V since 2008.

Stability-wise, it is okay but not great. I'd say that it works but it's not perfect.

Hyper-V is limited when it comes to scalability. If you have a data center license then you can scale up or down, or use the main virtual machines on the server. However, if you have a normal, or standard license, you can only run two virtual machine instances.

We have approximately 1,000 users.

I have not had much experience with technical support.

We previously used vSphere but we switched because VMware costs a lot and we have a small environment.

The installation and initial setup are very easy. It takes about five minutes to deploy.

We implemented it ourselves. We have three people in our team for deployment and maintenance.

Our licensing fees are paid for as a package with the Microsoft Enterprise Agreement. We have to pay for our data center licenses.

This is a fairly expensive product because it balances the needs of security.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this product is not perfect but it works. At this point, we have not yet decided how long we will continue using it. This is something that we'll decide, moving forward.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Muzamil Yakub - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Executive Officer at Infoview Limited
A hardware virtualization product that comes free with Windows Server, but management could be more straightforward.
  • "I like that Hyper-V comes for free with Windows Server. You don't need to buy the license, and you only have to pay for the management aspect in System Center."
  • "Hyper-V isn't a lightweight solution like VMware. Management could be more straightforward. Even as far as disk management tools are concerned, it would be better if that could be made simpler. The same applies to performance."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for data center virtualization.

How has it helped my organization?

Hyper-V has improved our organization by enabling consolidation, high availability, disaster recovery, backups, and more. It makes it all simple.

What is most valuable?

I like that Hyper-V comes for free with Windows Server. You don't need to buy the license, and you only have to pay for the management aspect in System Center.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-V isn't a lightweight solution like VMware. Management could be more straightforward. Even as far as disk management tools are concerned, it would be better if that could be made simpler. Performance can also be better.

We used Hyper-V from 2008 to 2019.

Hyper-V is a stable solution.

Hyper-V is a scalable solution.

I haven't used Microsoft's technical support much.

We have used Citrix and VMware. I would say VMware is simpler for the deployment side of it. Hyper-V is also easy to deploy, but you need to set it up as a role.

The initial setup and installation are straightforward. The deployment time depends on the hardware. It can take anywhere from 20 minutes to half an hour. One engineer can implement, manage, and maintain this solution.

It's free with a Windows license, but you can say that there is an ROI in separating workloads.

Hyper-V is free when you buy Windows Server. You only have to pay for engaging in the management aspect in System Center.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Hyper-V for small-scale users with one or two VMs.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Hyper-V a seven.

Jarek Słupiński - PeerSpot reviewer
Freelancer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
We can use hardware resources much more efficiently.
  • "I think all of these improvements are going in a good direction. For me, its direction is good and I'm very satisfied with this product."
  • "I am using this solution with E-Notes. I heard that there will be future improvements in integration of the E-notes systems. This would be very helpful."

What is our primary use case?

Two main x3650M3 servers with 192GB and 96GB RAM. Primary case was Active Directory infrastructure (actually three DC's), file repository, main MS SQL Server and couple of applications servers.

Additionally remote access thru Desktop Services, management (nVision), central AV (ESET), software routers. In short - whole bunch of different servers and different operating systems Windows Server and desktop, different flavours of Linux, even FreeBSD).

What is most valuable?

Creating virtual machines is really straightforward. Possibility of changing virtual disk size is very helpful. The simplicity of the interface can be confusing because it really provides some advanced options.

What needs improvement?

I am waiting for improvements in networking and life migration. Some networking settings could be less cryptic.

More than five years.

I have never had any stability problems caused by Hyper-V for over five years.

I am very satisfied with the scalability of Hyper-V. I'm using up to eight virtual machines on single x3650 M3

We previously used VMware, but we switched because Hyper-V is cheaper and delivers the same stability for less money. To be honest for free.

Initial setup was straightforward. It was easy and fast. It took me between a half  to an hour for complete deployment. The most complex part is the networking.

In-house. To be precise by myself.

Licensing is fairly easy because Hyper-V itself is free.

Citrix Xen, but this solution has become too expensive.

Tommy Myo Min Aung - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior System Engineer at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Highly stable, simple installation, and helpful support
  • "The solution is highly stable."
  • "The solution could improve by having virtual restore."

What is our primary use case?

In our environment, we have a special custom configuration for the Hyper-V switches we use. We have a full-scope VM in our environment and especially for certain Cisco configurations, such as the spam folder in the Hyper-V. It is really difficult to configure from scratch. In this scenario, the agent is really helpful for us, for the restoration. The community edition provides a free, low-cost package solution.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having virtual restore.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately five years.

The solution is highly stable.

We have ten hosts that use the solution.

The support is very good.

I have previously used VMware and Citrix Xen.

The installation is simple, and it took us approximately 45 minutes.

I did the implementation myself. There is only one senior engineer required for support of Hyper-V.

The licensing costs depend on the environment you have. If you have an environment of less than 10 or 30 VMs, It's nice to have a Hyper-V, but if you have more than 100 or 200, I would recommend using VCenter, VMware virtualization, especially for an on-premise solution.

What other advice do I have?

VMware virtualization is our main solution, but we use Hyper-V because of the licensing and the cost-effective solution, and on the remote offices we only have fewer than 10 servers.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Hyper-V a nine out of ten.

Andrea Andrea - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at BE.iT SA
Has a tight integration with Azure
  • "The initial setup of Hyper-V is far easier than VMware."
  • "Hyper-V could benefit with improvements to their management interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are partners with Microsoft. We install 50% of VMware and 50% the solution from Hyper-V, depending on the customer's request.

Mid-level businesses who want to create their own data center, and they are using other Microsoft systems.

What is most valuable?

Hyper-V and VMware are similar. However, Hyper-V is less expensive. Hyper-V also has a tight integration with Azure. This means that you can have some VM on Azure and some VM on premises, and you can move a VM from Microsoft data center to a local data center on the customer's side.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-V could benefit with improvements to their management interface. Also, there are some features that are better on other solutions. For example, VMware is easier to create 3D acceleration than on Hyper-V.

Hyper-V is quite stable. I do not have any issues.

The biggest cluster we have in the field is a node cluster.

The initial setup of Hyper-V is far easier than VMware. You can deploy the solution in a matter of hours.

Our customers consider other options, however for mid-level businesses who want to create their own data center, Hyper-V is easier and less expensive than using both VMware and Microsoft Windows server for VMware for Veeam.

VMware has some features that are better. It is easier to create 3D acceleration, however the licensing model is not good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Hyper-V an 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Hyper-V Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: May 2022