We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
VP Technology at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use and does the job that we need, although the management interface needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using Hyper-V to host a few Linux virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use, and it gets the job done in a straightforward manner.

What needs improvement?

The management interface is in need of the biggest improvement. There are a few gaps in there when I compare with VMware. Some additional monitoring features would be helpful.

We have been using Hyper-V for the past four or five years.

We have a few support applications that run on top of this solution, so we just have a handful of people who use it. I would say that there are five or six users. At this point, we do not have plans to increase…

What is our primary use case?

We are using Hyper-V to host a few Linux virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

Some additional monitoring features would be helpful.

We have been using Hyper-V for the past four or five years.

At this point, we do not have plans to increase usage.

I have not personally been in contact with technical support.

The installation was straightforward and I don't think that we had any major issues there. I think that it took approximately one day to deploy.

The implementation was done by our in-house IT people. We have one system administrator that takes care of maintenance.

What other advice do I have?

For what we use this product for, it is pretty basic and it is good enough for our purposes.

Our main complaint is about the administration interface.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Founder at a retailer with 1-10 employees
Easy to set up and deploy, but the virtual network manager could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are just exploring the possibilities to see if it was a better alternative to VirtualBox, for running on a Windows host.

What needs improvement?

I think the setup for the Virtual Network Manager could be improved.

I have only just started using this solution. It's been one to two weeks. I am using the version with Windows 10 Pro.

It's too early to tell at the moment. We are still new to using Hyper-V.

We have not yet explored this area. At the moment, I am the only user.

I have not contacted technical support.

Which solution did I use

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

I think the setup for the Virtual Network Manager could be improved.

I have only just started using this solution. It's been one to two weeks.

I am using the version with Windows 10 Pro.

It's too early to tell at the moment. We are still new to using Hyper-V.

We have not yet explored this area. At the moment, I am the only user.

I have not contacted technical support.

I am currently using VirtualBox and Hyper-V on different VMs.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was easy to install.

It took an hour to get the on-premises system running.

I completed the setup and implementation.

What other advice do I have?

It's still too early to know if I would recommend it or not.

I am still in the processing phase, so depending on how it goes, we may continue to use this solution. At this point, we intend to use it.

With what I know so far, I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Hyper-V. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
565,689 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director Of Services Nicaragua at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Simple to configure, good performance, but management could improve
  • "The solution is easy to configure."
  • "The management of Hyper-V could improve, there is a lot to improve in that area."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for system virtualization.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

I have used Hyper-V for approximately 10 years.

The performance of Hyper-V is good.

I have used VMware vSphere, I have found it to be better than Hyper-V.

Hyper-V is easy to set up even though the management is a headache. For example, if you want to do integrations or troubleshooting on the platform it's really difficult.

Licensing needs to be a lot easier to manage with Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware is easier.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other thinking about implementing Hyper-V be aware of the use case that you're going to need Hyper-V for. If you're going to use it on an operational scale, for example, hundreds of Hyper-V hosts, I would recommend rather going with vSphere instead of Hyper-V because the management capabilities of vSphere are better. When you are managing several hundred hosts, it's better to manage within the vSphere environment instead of the system center.

I rate Hyper-V a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Has the ability to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint which is needed to test the software
  • "The most valuable feature is being able to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint because that's what we need to test the software. We're testing the installation and then we roll it back and retest it."
  • "It would be nice if they had video acceleration, they got rid of that and VMware has video acceleration."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for testing software.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to do checkpoints then roll back to the checkpoint because that's what we need to test the software. We test the installation and then we roll it back and retest it.

It's really just a small part of what we do, so I was looking for something that would get the job done and it met all the requirements at very little cost.

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if they had video acceleration, they got rid of that and VMware has video acceleration. It would be nice to be able to test through video part the Virtual Machine, like you can with VMware, Hyper-V does not let you do that.

I have been using Hyper-V for five years.

It's very stable and very scalable. We're a very small operation, so we really just require one person for maintenance and deployment.

The initial setup is very easy, you just check a couple of checkmarks.

It's included in the windows, so not it's very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud
Technical Account Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
User-friendly GUI, good technical support, but security needs improvement
  • "I have found the GUI user-friendly and having the solution be a Windows application makes it familiar to users."
  • "VMware has antivirus protection that covers the entire VM. If Microsoft could have something similar to this in Hyper-V, that would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for virtualization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

VMware has antivirus protection that covers the entire VM. If Microsoft could have something similar to this in Hyper-V, that would be great. Currently, in Hyper-V, we have to have a separate antivirus for each VM. If there could be umbrella coverage to the entire setup, then that would be beneficial.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately 10 years.

The solution could be more stable as it is vulnerable to viruses, ransomware, and malware.

We have approximately 100 customers using this solution.

The support from Microsoft is good.

The installation is very easy, it takes approximately 30 minutes.

We have three supporting engineers that do the implementation of the solution.

There is a perpetual license to use the solution and there are additional fees for support.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hyper-V a seven out of ten.

Manager, Information Technology at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
It's good for small or medium-sized environments, but if you want to scale larger you should consider something else

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see better predictive diagnostics, so I know what's going on with the machines.

I've been using Hyper-V since about 2012.

Hyper-V has been pretty good. I have no complaints about the stability.

It scales well so far, but I think we're nearing the edge of that. We have somewhere in the region of about 200 users.

The support could be better.

I can't say setting up Hyper-V was particularly complicated. The deployment was about two months with the help of some integrators.

What's my experience with pricing, setup

What needs improvement?

I've been using Hyper-V since about 2012.

Hyper-V has been pretty good. I have no complaints about the stability.

The support could be better.

I think I'm okay with the cost. There are no monthly or yearly costs or additional costs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Hyper-V seven out of 10. It's good for what it does. If you have a small or medium-scale acclimatization, it's an excellent solution. But in terms of scaling larger, you might want to consider something else.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Reasonably priced, but could be more flexible

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for production, testing, and development. It's a core infrastructure solution, so it's not a user-solution. It's for server virtualization. It's actually deployed virtually for other services that need to deploy virtual machines using it. We plan to keep using this solution in the future.

I have been using this solution since 2008.

Hyper-V is both stable and scalable; however, I also use VMware which I find to be more scalable and stable overall.

The support with Microsoft is great.

We use VMware, but Hyper-V is much cheaper;…

What is our primary use case?

We use Hyper-V for production, testing, and development.

We plan to keep using this solution in the future.

I have been using this solution since 2008.

The support with Microsoft is great.

We use VMware, but Hyper-V is much cheaper; however, VMware is more robust, more scalable, more agile for us. It was a mix of both because we wanted to be able to see our way through technology skills.

The initial setup was quite easy.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. If it were a little more flexible and stable, I'd give it a higher rating.

Founder at a non-profit with 1-10 employees
Robust, but lacking implementation management tools

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using Hyper-V in the financial sector.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of Hyper-V is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-V could improve the management tools.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately ten years.

All the newer versions of Hyper-V are stable.

The solution could improve scalability.

The support from Microsoft is very slow.

The initial implementation was difficult because there are not enough management tools. The time it took was approximately three days. We…

What is our primary use case?

We are mainly using Hyper-V in the financial sector.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use of Hyper-V is the most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

Hyper-V could improve the management tools.

I have been using Hyper-V for approximately ten years.

All the newer versions of Hyper-V are stable.

The solution could improve scalability.

The support from Microsoft is very slow.

We installed the Hyper-V on bare-metal hardware, created the VMs, and attached the storage, et cetera.

We have four to five staff members for the implementation of Hyper-V. The maintenance includes server management, creating VMs, and backups.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others implementing this solution is there are no implementation management tools available, they will have to do it all themselves.

I rate Hyper-V a seven out of ten.