Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Omar Mezrag - PeerSpot reviewer
CyberSecurity Specialist at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Delivers quick visibility but resource use is costly
  • "Elastic Security allows us to deliver visibility in a few hours, which makes our customers more confident in our service."
  • "Elastic Security provides a huge amount of searchable data, which is a great advantage in itself but is costly in terms of the number of servers used."

What is our primary use case?

Elastic Security primarily provides security via containment, verification, and recovery and improves detection.

How has it helped my organization?

What is most valuable?

Elastic Security's best feature is its many options, which make auditing and organization less challenging.

What needs improvement?

Elastic Security is no scale, which creates some limitations in joining diagrams without duplicated information and costs the customer in additional storage. This is made more problematic because Elastic Security provides a huge amount of searchable data, which is a great advantage in itself but is costly in terms of the number of servers used. These costs may surprise customers when comparing Elastic Security to other solutions, although it is worth the extra cost.

Elastic Security
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Elastic Security. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using Elastic Security for six years.

Elastic Security is very stable.

Elastic Security is very scalable.

Elastic Security's technical support is very responsive, and even if you don't have a resource or contact with them, we've had good feedback about the support community.

Positive

The initial setup is straightforward for basic users who can use business selection, but the process for installing an adapted solution needs many improvements. Deployment takes a week for the basic setup, but it takes around twenty days for a more complex RDX.

We used an in-house team.

Elastic Security gives a very good ROI if you calculate the searchable snapshot feature correctly.

Elastic Security has yearly and monthly licenses available. The standard license's features are very similar to the free version, so if you don't need to use Elastic Security as an emergency service, you could go for the free version.

What other advice do I have?

I'd advise those looking into implementing Elastic Security to try to understand what they need to improve in terms of metrics, protection, and response and consider if this solution will solve your problems in these areas. I would rate Elastic Security seven out of ten.

I.T. Manager at a healthcare company with 51-200 employees
Analyses your security data quickly and effectively
  • "Just the ability to do a lot more than just up-down is nice, which a lot of people take for granted."
  • "The biggest challenge has been related to the implementation."

What is our primary use case?

We plan to use it to analyze the data that we're pumping into it from Active Directory and from firewalls, then we'll pass that information onto our own external SOC.

What is most valuable?

We really haven't had any significant SIEM solutions, so it's all new to us, other than a simple up-down solution. Just the ability to do a lot more than just up-down is nice, which a lot of people take for granted.

What needs improvement?

The biggest challenge has been related to the implementation. It's a very complex product which, without a lot of knowledge or a lot of training, it's very difficult to get into and make use of. They try and make a lot of the general features very simple to access; a lot of the dashboards are very simple to use and so forth, but a lot of the refined capabilities take serious skills. They're not necessarily the easiest to implement.

We've been trying to implement it and get it up and going for a good three to four months now.

Elastic SIEM is pretty stable. I did have a problem during one of the upgrades, but customer support was able to resolve it for me quickly. Other than that, it's been very reliable and stable.

The customer service is great; not a whole lot of back-and-forth going on.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

It's a monthly cost with Elastic SIEM, but I am not sure of the exact cost.

What other advice do I have?

In our case, being a medium-sized business, it takes a lot of resources to learn how to properly use and implement it — you need to have a good understanding. They give you a very good framework and a very good solution to work with, but there's a lot of intuition that's required to actually make it work well. It requires a lot more effort than they would lead you to believe or that you would even expect.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight. This is based on my experiences from the past as we're still implementing it.

Elastic Security
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Chief Operating Officer / SR. Project Manager at SCS
A flexible, cost-effective, and reliable solution
  • "One of the most valuable features of this solution is that it is more flexible than AlienVault."
  • "It is difficult to anticipate and understand the space utilization, so more clarity there would be great."

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a SIEM for monitoring a client's environment.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of this solution is that it is more flexible than AlienVault.

What needs improvement?

It is difficult to anticipate and understand the space utilization, so more clarity there would be great.

My company has been using this solution for two years.

It is a very stable solution.

The solution is very scalable.

The technical support is adequate.

Neutral

We currently use AlienVault for some clients and Elastic Security for others. We chose Elastic Security because we felt it was the most flexible, cost-effective solution to provide the results needed.

In certain respects, the setup of this solution is more straightforward than other solutions, but in other respects, it's more complex because it needs more fine-tuning than Splunk or AlienVault.

We implemented through an in-house team and it took about two months.

The licensing cost depends on the size of the environment it's monitoring. Everything is based on volume, as with all SIEMs. When compared to other products, the price is average or on the low side.

We evaluated several options, including Monster SIEM, Splunk, and Wazuh.

What other advice do I have?

There's a lot of fine-tuning involved with this solution. When you go to a diner, and the menu has everything on it, and you can't figure out which part to look at first, it's a double-edged sword. You can do everything with this solution, which means you have to figure out which part of "everything" makes sense for your company to do.

I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten. It's a good value for money and a  reliable solution, but it's heavily reliant on appropriate configuration.

KarthikeyanSrinivasan - PeerSpot reviewer
Sr Cloud Data Architect at Sun Cloud LLC
A flexible product that can be used in a number of scenarios, but its knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by
  • "Its flexibility is most valuable. We can have a number of scenarios, and we can get logs from anything. If we know how to use Logstash, we can tweak it in many ways. This makes the logging search on Elastic very easy."
  • "We are paying dearly for the guy who is working on the ELK Stack. That knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by. For difficulty and availability of resources, I would rate it a five out of 10."

What is our primary use case?

It is for our own infrastructure. We are trying to do ELK Stack for everything. We are trying to build our own monitoring solution. For now, we are using it as an alerting solution, and SIEM is going to be our destination.

What is most valuable?

With Kibana, we can make very beautiful dashboards the way we wanted. It makes sense for the business.

What needs improvement?

We are paying dearly for the guy who is working on the ELK Stack. That knowledge is quite rare and hard to come by. For difficulty and availability of resources, I would rate it a five out of 10.

We don't have any scalability problems as of now. We have less than 2,000 devices.

We have a contractor who is trying to develop and deploy the ELK Stack for us. He has requested a couple of servers, and we have given those to him. He asked for more RAM and storage for the service, and he will take time developing the custom Logstash scripts that we have asked for.

I find it better than Splunk in terms of cost-effectiveness. For cost-effectiveness, I would rate it a nine out of 10.

What other advice do I have?

It is complex, but you just need to have patience and personnel to develop it. Unless you explore a technology, you won't know what are the pros and cons. I have not seen any cons as of now, but it has miles to go in terms of being equal to Splunk. It is a community-driven technology. So, it will get there.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Giuseppe Ragazzini - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Delivery Manager at Spindox
A good SIEM solution but doesn't have as many features as its competitors
  • "It's not very complicated to install Elastic."
  • "With Elastic, you have to build the use cases for the specific requirement. Other products have a simple integration and more use cases to integrate out-of-the-box solutions for SIEM."

What is our primary use case?

I worked for a telco client for the security model of Elastic, but my role was unit manager. I don't have a lot of technical expertise, but I decided on the solution for a client, and I was responsible for the delivery.

I worked with the security of the mobile app. I see all the logs in Elastic for SIEM. I monitored the logging and some logs from the machine for a UNIX system with some use cases like the machine's file system.

This solution is deployed on-premise.

We provide this solution to our customers, which are telcos, in the finance industry, and in retail.

What is most valuable?

I think that it's a good solution for a SIEM.

What needs improvement?

Elastic doesn't have the features like other competitors in SIEM. For example, Dynatrace as a solution for SIEM has features that Elastic actually don't have.

With Elastic, you have to build the use cases for the specific requirement. Other products have a simple integration and more use cases to integrate out-of-the-box solutions for SIEM. That's the improvement I would like to see.

The product is stable.

Other products like Splunk are better than Elastic for a SIEM because there are some use cases already available for a client. Elastic doesn't have this, so the user must build the SIEM solution. I think that Elastic has to increase the features for the SIEM.

It's not very complicated to install Elastic, but I didn't deploy it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

It's a good solution and I would recommend it, but there are other products that have more features that Elastic doesn't have.

Principal Cyber Security Manager at Ask4key
Valuable prevention methods and asset alerts, but room for improvement in the Kibana dashboard and asset management

What is our primary use case?

My clients use this solution for security purposes and SIEM and log management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution are the prevention methods and the incident alerts.

What needs improvement?

There is room for improvement in the Kibana dashboard and in the asset management for the program.

I've been working with Elastic Security for almost two years now.

The solution is stable if you don't touch it too much. Meaning, it's technically stable, but if there is a period of downtime, you will face quite a big hiccup in getting it running again and stabilized.

The scalability of Elastic is amazing.

I would say the technical support isn't really good or bad. On a scale of one to ten, I would give it a five.

Neutral

The setup can sometimes be quite complex for the backend team. It all depends on the client's environment, so we have to be flexible.

My company provides a team for deployment, which usually consists of at least three or four engineers. Deployment generally takes six months to one year.

I would say that, on average, a good ROI can be seen within one and a half to two years after deploying Elastic Security.

Licensing for the solution is available as a one-year or three-year plan, and all of the features are included.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution as a seven out of ten.

Associate Director - Solutions at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Good indexing of logs, cost-effective, and stable
  • "I like the indexing of the logs."
  • "Better integration with third-party APMs would be really good."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the Microsoft deployment of auto-management.

What is most valuable?

I like the indexing of the logs.

I have been using ELK Logstash for one year.

This product is quite stable and I've not seen any type of issue with it so far.

With respect to scalability, you have to properly plan. Generally, I don't see any issues with scalability.

We have not used technical support because we always had talent within the company for end-user support.

This was a solution that our client chose, and they were not using a different one prior to this.

I do not think that we had any issues with the deployment. Overall, I would say that the process is of medium complexity.

The support team assisted us with the deployment. I don't think that we had any issues with the team.

Compared to other products such as Dynatrace, this is one of the cheaper options.

Our client provided us with this option after they had already been through a selection process.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is that this is a good product to use if you are financially contained, and you want to start with something small. Later, if you need to scale then you can look at other options.

DevOps Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Lacking user interface, not stable, but free to use
    • "The solution does not have a UI and this is one of the reasons we are looking for another solution."

What needs improvement?

When setting up some of the pipelines we are receiving different types of log messages with different patterns. When I try to force a certain pattern I need to restart the solution causing a huge inconvenience for us.

I have been using the solution for one year.

The solution is not stable.

We have approximately 15 users using the solution in my organization.

When doing the installation, the ELK is working well but sometimes when we search for specific words there is no longer any inception throughout. This issue has been difficult to debug or fix.

The index is very important when using this solution. We encountered a couple of issues when we set up the wrong index, it causes everything to go down. That means if we set up something incorrectly with the index, the solution will be down and we do not know why.

The solution is free.

We are currently evaluating other solutions to replace this one, such as Datadogs and New Relic. Datadog has a UI that this solution is lacking.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution.

I rate ELK Logstash a five out of ten.

Download our free Elastic Security Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022