Network Security Engineer at a tech vendor with 11-50 employees
Reseller
Very strong for attack prevention but lacks SSL inspection and a behavioral traffic analyzer
  • "The stateless device format means that the box is very strong for preventing DDoS attacks."
  • "The solution needs to enhance its features to compete with other tools."

What is our primary use case?

Our company uses the solution to protect applications such as web DNS and file servers from DDoS attacks coming through the Internet's application layer.

We also protect our devices and components such as firewalls, IPSS, and WAFs.

What is most valuable?

The solution is user friendly and the graphical user interface can be used for everything without logging into the CLI.

The box includes embedded bypass modules so bypasses can be performed without outages.

Hardware modules do not need to be changed when upgrading licenses for additional capacity.

What needs improvement?

A behavioral traffic analyzer and SSL inspection tool need to be added.

The solution needs to enhance its features to compete with other tools. Lately, Arbor has made some improvements but they are not ones that are expected or ones that would better align the solution with competitors.

For example, the solution announced it was releasing SSL inspection in 2020. After a while, they realized the feature was failing so they stopped mentioning it and instead provided another solution which required purchase of a different box. This created a complex topology that is not cost efficient. I have to set aside extra budget so this is not an improvement or a solution for me. Competitors handle the same feature within their own single box.

I have been using the solution for five years.

Arbor DDoS
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Arbor DDoS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is really stable. It is the most stable device in our topology.

Technical support is very good and responds quickly. If I get any box faults, one phone call gets me to an engineer for troubleshooting.

I rate support an eight out of ten.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I did not use other solutions.

The setup not complex and a simple configuration takes about one hour.

An advanced configuration takes up to twenty days because I run simulations and check results. It is not constant work but provides useful results.

Our team of one system architect and three system engineers implemented the solution in-house.

The solution's pricing is based on a licensing model that is expensive when compared to other tools.

The first option is a DDoS or throughput license that never expires after purchase. You can use the box until its end of life.

The second option is a subscription license that is purchased for one, three, or five years. It includes some additional features and services that are optional.

Product or technical support is a separate license that must be renewed every one or three years.

I have evaluated other solutions in a demo environment.

Radware is the leading DDoS solution right now and a strong competitor. I found that its graphical interface is complex and hard to handle. It takes time to configure properly, is hard to read, and is poor for reporting.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend the solution and rate it a seven out of ten.

If the solution adds a behavioral traffic analyzer and SSL inspection tool, then I rate it a nine out of ten.

Owner at AMPEC DATA SERVICE
We have no encountered any stability problems
  • "The stability is okay and we have not encountered problems with the solution."
  • "An issue which needs to be addressed concerns information I received of attacks on the radar and Arbor, allegedly, not taking any action."

What is our primary use case?

We receive work orders and implement them for the client. This we do in respects of MMSP solutions.

We do not help to integrate Arbor in other companies.

What needs improvement?

An issue which needs to be addressed concerns information I received of attacks on the radar and Arbor, allegedly, not taking any action. I wish to compare this with Fortinet DDoS, with which I am more familiar. This solution places more of an emphasis on the behavior of the traffic and provides a response in respects of the volume. But, it also learns the traffic behavior of the customer as concerns its response to other attacks.

I would like to see a feature concerning the response or one which addresses the need for behavior learning of the customer's traffic. I am sure Arbor is working on it.

We've been using Arbor DDoS for three years.

The stability is okay and we have not encountered problems with the solution.

As I mentioned, we only provide support in the role of technical operators, so the question about plans for increased usage should be directed towards the operator. He is in a position to say whether he has plans to sell more equipment to his customers. While the desire to desire to sell is not at issue, the willingness of people in this country to pay for the security is.

We received from the customer, who is an operator, all of the technical knowledge needed to support NETSCOUT.

The initial setup was okay and did not take long.

The licensing of a complete Arbor solution, including fire-walling and unified site management, can get expensive. This is a cost-benefit scenario in which the risk of losing everything must be weighed against the increased expense of the solution. This decision lies with the end customer and it depends on his protection policy. Apparently, taking protective measures is not prevalent in our culture, as people have a tendency to think that they will not be the target of an attack, even though this may be the ultimate result.

What other advice do I have?

I believe we have 10 or 15 users who are working with the solution.

I rate Arbor DDoS as a ten out of ten.

Arbor DDoS
November 2022
654,218 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Security Officer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Good protection, good artificial intelligence, good stability, and easy to integrate
  • "The artificial intelligence feature is most appreciated. This solution can lower the throughput and clear the traffic, which is something really important for us. It also provides good protection. It is user-friendly, and its integration has also been really fast. We have many critical applications, and it was easy to integrate Arbor DDoS with our website, mobile application, and web banking."
  • "They should improve the reporting section and make it a little bit more detailed. I would like to have much better and more detailed reports."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to protect our infrastructure from DDoS attacks. It is used to protect web applications to provide a secure infrastructure for our client.

What is most valuable?

The artificial intelligence feature is most appreciated. This solution can lower the throughput and clear the traffic, which is something really important for us. It also provides good protection.

It is user-friendly, and its integration has also been really fast. We have many critical applications, and it was easy to integrate Arbor DDoS with our website, mobile application, and web banking.

What needs improvement?

They should improve the reporting section and make it a little bit more detailed. I would like to have much better and more detailed reports.

I have been using this solution for three months. It was implemented in February.

Its stability is really good.

Because it is on-premise, it has limited capability. That's why in six months, we would like to move to the cloud. Moving to the cloud will also enable us to prevent biometric attacks. It will make it easier for us to protect all the throughput traffic.

Our client is a medium-sized company in Bolivia with around 3,000 employees.

Their technical support is really good. They have a nice workflow.

We had Check Point and Radware solutions. Gartner Quadrant ratings were one of the key factors for going for this solution.

Its initial setup was easy. It was a one-month project, and its implementation was very fast.

Five engineers were involved in its implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to do a proof of concept. That's a good way to choose a solution. We did a proof of concept, and it gave us a good idea, so I would advise others to do that.

I would rate Arbor DDoS a nine out of ten. I am really happy with this solution.

AyodejiAbimbola - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Client Sales Manager at TigerLogic Solutions Ltd
Reseller
Highly reliable, scales well, and good support

What is our primary use case?

Arbor DDoS is used for network protection if you have a DDoS attack, it keeps the session or information moving.

Arbor DDoS is a combination of a physical appliance and the cloud, and it's combined in their subscription.

What needs improvement?

Arbor DDoS could improve out-of-the-box reporting, it could be better.

I have used Arbor DDoS within the last 12 months.

Arbor DDoS is highly stable.

Arbor DDoS is able to increase your bandwidth. You can scale less than 50 percent, but if you are scaling above 100 percent it will not be flexible. You have to get a bigger appliance, which will be at a discount rate. It is scalability in the technical and commercial sense.

The technical support of Arbor DDoS is good.

The initial setup of Arbor DDoS is straightforward, and it took approximately five days to implement.

The price of Arbor DDoS depends on many parameters. It depends on the physical capacity of the environment, and it is not a straight-line price. It's fairly competitive in the market on the price.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Arbor DDoS a nine out of ten.

Regional Technical Manager at HTBS
Povides effective blocking of attacks, and can be used for DNS, web, and main servers

What is our primary use case?

We use Arbor DDoS for network security defense.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has blocked many attacks on our customer's systems that would have disrupted their operations.

What is most valuable?

Arbor DDoS is easy to use, provides effective blocking of DDoS attacks, and can be used for DNS, web, and main servers. Additionally, this solution is far easier to operate than others solutions, such as Fortinet DDoS.

I have been using Arbor DDoS for approximately four years.

The solution is very stable. In the time we have been using the solution we have not had any incidents.

We have not needed to scale the solution.

The regional support here in African could improve, such as marketing and account managers.

I have previously used Fortinet DDoS.

The solution is easy to deploy and takes approximately two days. It is easier to deploy than other solutions.

The price of this solution is a little high in the African market, it should be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Arbor DDoS an eight out of ten.

System Administrator at a tech vendor with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Excellent tool for scrubbing

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Arbor DDoS for scrubbing.

What is most valuable?

Arbor DDoS's best feature is that we can put the certificates in, and it will look at layer seven and the encrypted traffic and do the required signaling.

What needs improvement?

An improvement to Arbor DDoS would be to make evaluation licenses and virtual machines available. This would allow us to learn the system and to spread word about the product to others.

I've been using Arbor DDoS for almost five years.

Arbor DDoS is very stable.

Arbor DDoS is scalable.

The complexity of the setup depends on the user's experience, but it's very quick to deploy.

Arbor DDoS has given us a very good ROI - I would rate it five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Arbor DDoS ten out of ten.

FaisalAbbasi - PeerSpot reviewer
Dty. Chief Executive Officer at Transworld Associates (Pvt.)
DDoS protection with excellent mitigation

What is our primary use case?

We provide about 50% of the nation's bandwidth because of the submarine cables we have. We use Arbor to provide DDoS-protected bandwidth to our customers who require it.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is mitigation, which can blackhole the IP.

What needs improvement?

An improvement would be to provide information on how pricing is done on different customer levels (e.g. is it done per gig or bandwidth?)

I've been using this solution for six or seven years.

Arbor's technical support is very good, we've had no issues with it.

The price is a little high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Arbor DDoS as eight out of ten.

Download our free Arbor DDoS Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022