IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Senior Solution Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, problem-free and very stable
  • "Overall, I would say the solution has been quite stable."
  • "Our technical team is always looking for the solutions that they work with to offer more convenient integrations."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution in order to build a private cloud.

What is most valuable?

I'm not using it directly. Basically, for me, this is just another tool in the portfolio. I'm not the engineering staff that are next to the console and doing configurations.

Overall, I would say the solution has been quite stable.

The solution is likely scalable.

I haven't heard of any problems with the solution.

What needs improvement?

Any technical product has its own limitations in one place or another.

I've been using the solution for around a year or so.

VMware NSX
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about VMware NSX. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

There are some limitations in terms of scaling. It depends on how you would like to scale. Our engineers are using it and they don't see any problems with the scaling, however, it doesn't mean the same will work for any other organization.

Currently, we have more than 10,000 end-users. Our technical team isn't really that big. However, I can't say the exact number.

We do plan to continue to use the solution, however, we don't have plans for any big expansion.

I do not have any personal experience with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful, knowledgeable, or responsive they are.

I cannot say if there was a different solution used in our organization. It had been implemented before I arrived.

I didn't handle the initial installation. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it was to implement, or how long it took to deploy. I wasn't a part of the process.

I'm not involved in the licensing process at all. I have no knowledge of how long our licenses last or how much it costs the company.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with VMware.

We use a few different VMware products, not just NSX.

We aren't necessarily using the latest version of the solution. We usually use the latest minus one or two versions.

In general, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been mostly quite please with it.

Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up, with good features for automation and software-defined networking
  • "This is the most scalable product of its type."
  • "The training costs a minimum of $3,000, which is expensive and should be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

We use this product for micro-segmentation and network function virtualization.

What is most valuable?

This is the most scalable product of its type.

It is very good for automation and software-defined networking.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements made to the certification process. As it is now, you have to do the training with VMware itself, and you have to spend a lot of money doing it, which is very discouraging.

If you compare other certifications especially from the cloud providers, you can get trained from your choice of training providers and not very expensive or learn on your own at your pace, prepare for exams and pass and your certificate will be issued. In contrast, you have to register under VMware to get training done at minimum of $3000 before your certificate is issued to you. The training costs a minimum of $3,000, which is expensive and should be reduced.

I have been using this product for more than a year.

Outside of the cloud infrastructure, it is the most scalable network product that I have worked with. It is used in a server farm that contains about 2,000 servers.

We have not needed to contact technical support.

We did not use another network function virtualization product prior to this one.

The initial setup is very straightforward. Our deployment took three months, end to end.

We had a consultant to assist us with the deployment.

We have two or three in-house staff who manage and maintain the solution.

The licensing fees are expensive and we pay on a yearly basis. However, we were able to leverage some of the licenses that we had for an affiliated product, ESXi. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We chose VMware NSX-T because it was the most scalable.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product and one that I recommend for anybody who does not want to change their existing infrastructure. The problem is that they have to compete with the likes of AWS and cloud providers.

Hybrid Cloud
VMware NSX
July 2022
621,703 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Consultant at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Stable, great for controlling virtual switches and makes it easy to establish VLANs
  • "Overall, for me, it's a good solution and has been working well."
  • "Occasionally the licensing is not very clear. They should make it easier to understand."

How has it helped my organization?

The full integration has been great. Its infrastructure and its ability to be part of the whole application are very useful for organizations.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for controlling virtual switches and it is easy to establish VLANs and micro-segmentations. All those things are very useful.

The stability is pretty good.

Overall, for me, it's a good solution and has been working well.

What needs improvement?

I cannot recall coming across any missing features. At this time, there is nothing I would need in a future release.

I have experience using the solution for around 25 years, on IT, however, for the last 10 years I've been working deeply on this and over the decade I have been more focused on software. In the last 4 or 5 years, I have had more and more focus.

The stability is good. Our customers don't seem to have any issues with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I haven't really dealt with scaling the solution. I can't speak to how it is.

I've never been in contact with technical support in the past. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I also have experience using Red Hat. However, sometimes I have had some problems with it. It can be a bit more difficult in terms of integration with other vendors.

I didn't actually handle the implementation. I'm working more on the design side, not on setup or configuration. Therefore, I can't speak to how easy or difficult the implementation process is for users.

The licensing is complex. Sometimes I have trouble understanding it.

What other advice do I have?

We are VMware integrators and partners.

I'd advise new or potential users to be aware that you will have to integrate it with other solutions. You'll need to look at how it fits in with all of your infrastructure, including IT infrastructure, for example.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. It's been very good overall.

Frederic LAPLAGNE - PeerSpot reviewer
President at AKAWAN
Intuitive system, highly scalable, and reliable
  • "I have found the system to be very intuitive, functional, and they have great technology."
  • "In the future, the solution should be compliant with internet NIC."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution mainly for micro-segmentation and to permit security on flat networks without a V-LAN.

What is most valuable?

I have found the system to be very intuitive, functional, and they have great technology.

What needs improvement?

One of the areas that we are struggling with is how do we perform the same security level as we had for an NSX solution for the legacy system. For example, if I have a switch, and I am connecting a legacy application on the legacy system that does not support the hyper vision or another feature, is possible to push the security topic to the switches to be compliant, or compliant with an NSX component, and to perform the same security level as we perform for hyper vision side. It would be beneficial for us if there was better integration with legacy systems.

In the future, the solution should be compliant with internet NIC. They could deploy this NIC into some switches, servers, or other product. It would be interesting to have this sort of NIC stamped by VMware, and we could push some security feature into it. It would be a very useful feature. I do understand VMware is virtual and not on a physical device path but this would be a good endeavour.

I have been using the solution for approximately five years.

The solution is completely stable.

The solution is highly scalable. One of the biggest infrastructures we have deployed the solution in has approximately 70,000 people using the solution.

The installation has been complex.

This solution can be very complex to deploy. We have assembled complex deployments at a few huge network site. We work for several customers in the communication and industrial sectors that have complex environments.

The price is based on the virtual desktop infrastructure(VDI) side and also is dependant on the size of the environment. The price is expensive and it could attract more purchasers in smaller organisations if it was reduced.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution to others. I have deployed it in many different types of environments and it operates well.

I rate VMware NSX an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Ramesh Boopathi - PeerSpot reviewer
Competency Leader - Virtualization at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
End-to-end visibility, good integration, and highly scalable
  • "The most valuable features of VMware NSX are the tight integration with the VMware Hypervisor natively and the management console. We have a lot of other integrations where you are able to see the virtual machine's end-to-end visibility."
  • "VMware NSX can improve the migration tools from the older environments to the new environment. For example, the NSX-V has become a legacy solution, it's out of support, but customers are able to keep using it. For migration purposes, it's better for them to provide a proper tool. It will be easy to migrate from an old environment to a new one."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware NSX for micro-segmentation.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of VMware NSX are the tight integration with the VMware Hypervisor natively and the management console. We have a lot of other integrations where you are able to see the virtual machine's end-to-end visibility.

What needs improvement?

VMware NSX can improve the migration tools from the older environments to the new environment. For example, the NSX-V has become a legacy solution, it's out of support, but customers are able to keep using it. For migration purposes, it's better for them to provide a proper tool. It will be easy to migrate from an old environment to a new one.

I have used VMware NSX within the last 12 months.

The stability of VMware NSX is very high.

VMware NSX can scale to any sized organization, small or large.

Our recent clients had approximately 1,000 users using this solution.

I have not had any problems with the support from VMware NSX.

I rate the support from VMware NSX a four out of five.

I have used other network virtualization tools and the main difference is VMware NSX is tightly integrated with the Hypervisor layer. We've been able to have end-to-end visibility of the virtual machine traffic, and we have been able to see the flow. The other solution will be agent-based.

The setup of VMware NSX is very easy.

I rate the setup of VMware NSX a four out of five.

The price of VMware NSX is very good compared to other solutions.

I rate the price of VMware NSX a five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware NSX an eight out of ten.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner / Integrator
MD.SIHAB TALUKDAR - PeerSpot reviewer
System Engineer at a non-profit with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reasonable support, and it is priced well compared to some products
  • "The most valuable features are stability and low cost."
  • "There are always issues integrating with Cisco."

What is our primary use case?

This is a product for network security, and network management.

We don't use it at the production level. I am conducting a PoC.

We are using this in our testing data center and not in our live data center. This infrastructure contains many security devices from other vendors such as Palo Alto.

We are also using vSAN and vCenter.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and low cost.

What needs improvement?

There are always issues integrating with Cisco.

Switching is always a big problem for us because our switch is not supported.

If the integration was more open, then it would be good.

I have been using VMware NSX for three years.

We are using the latest version, and we already want to upgrade it.

It's a stable solution. We plan to continue using it.

There are three users in our organization who are using this solution.

VMware technical support is good but we find that the Cisco support is better for us.

This product is better for network security than Cisco ASA and Firepower.

The initial setup is straightforward but still takes time.

It takes longer to deploy than Cisco products. It takes between three and seven days to deploy,

We had a team of five for deployment. Two are from our company and three were from the vendor.

We have a license.

It is an expensive product, but cheaper than some competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product.

This is a solution that I recommend.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Abbasi Poonawala - PeerSpot reviewer
User at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Scalable, easy installation, and has micro-segmentation
  • "The installation is straightforward, it took a couple of hours."
  • "There could be an improvement in regards to security."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a software-defined firewall. You can set the policies and filter the incoming traffic from our site to our network. Any hostile request coming from an external network will get blocked.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable and unique feature of the solution is Micro-segmentation achieving better security, through enabling security architects to divide data centre into different segments. One being the VMS withing the on-premises, the other one on the Cloud.

What needs improvement?

There could be an improvement in regards to security. This solution cannot migrate all assets smoothly and continuously, for example, the host

Sometimes the physical hosts are not able to be converted into virtual ones, which needs to be fixed.

I have been using the solution since 2012.

We have many users in our organization. There are approximately 50 administration and more than 300 users using this solution.

We also use NSX-T alongside this solution. NSX started with micro-segmentation and the other option is based on a different architecture with some differences.

The installation is straightforward, it took a couple of hours.

The deployment happened base on the deployment topology that is defined by the security architect. I did the deployment by myself.

This solution requires a licence.

I have used other firewalls in the past.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution and I am going to continue using it in the future.

I rate VMware NSX a nine out of ten.

Venkateswar Ndt - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Mgr at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A good network virtualization and security platform, but it could be more user-friendly
  • "VMware NSX is a very good solution. It's also a scalable solution."
  • "It could be more user-friendly, but it's manageable. When we add a specific node to this particular NSX and the configuration changes, it won't push through the errors where required, but it'll accept it. However, while using it, we will have issues. It can also be more stable."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware NSX for application service deployments.

What is most valuable?

VMware NSX is a very good solution. It's also a scalable solution.

What needs improvement?

It could be more user-friendly, but it's manageable. When we add a specific node to this particular NSX and the configuration changes, it won't push through the errors where required, but it'll accept it. However, while using it, we will have issues. It can also be more stable.

It could be more stable.

VMware NSX is a scalable solution. We have about 10,000 people using it at our company.

Technical support is good.

We are still in the process of completing the migration from the physical servers to NSX.

The initial setup is relatively straightforward, but it takes a long time to implement this solution. You need hundreds of people to deploy and maintain this solution.

VMware NSX isn't cheap.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell potential users that they need to do a high-level review of their entire data center architecture, and should not leave any specific configurations related to connectivity that would lead them to more challenges.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give VMware NSX a seven.

Private Cloud