We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Projects Manager at Emery Investments
It's unstructured so that allows our technical team to search the database more easily
  • "I think that MongoDB isn't too structured, and that's good for our technical team because they are able to search through the database better than if they are using SQL Server."
  • "I feel that most people don't know a lot about MongoDB, so maybe they could add some more documentation and tutorials."

What is our primary use case?

We do payroll for government workers. One service we provide is called e-Payslip. You go into the portal, create an account, and download your payslip for the month. If you have to do something that requires you to submit a payslip, you can go to the portal and get your payslip electronically.

We also have what we call the ESPV. This allows unit managers to validate workers before they are paid for the month. It's an attempt to remove ghost names from the government payroll, so there's a cycle. At some point, somebody who is actually working must be validated in the system, and then the unit head confirms. This is checked by HR before salaries are paid, so you have to be a validated worker before your salary is paid.

What is most valuable?

I think that MongoDB isn't too structured, and that's good for our technical team because they are able to search through the database better than if they are using SQL Server.

What needs improvement?

I feel that most people don't know a lot about MongoDB, so maybe they could add some more documentation and tutorials. In general, I think they should do more to publicize the solution because when I'm in a meeting and I start talking about migrating to MongoDB, people don't know what I'm talking about.

I've worked with MongoDB for maybe two years. In fact, we recently upgraded and moved everything from SQL Server to Postgres and MongoDB. We went live just about a month ago. This was supposed to be the solution to all our problems, and we are in the process of testing to confirm that we are fine.

MongoDB is stable.

We mostly used Microsoft databases in the past. We started with Access and Microsoft SQL Server. I've also used Innovation together with SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

I'll give MongoDB a 10 out of 10. We are getting positive feedback, so far.

Private Cloud

Other
Project Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Deals with large amounts of data but the initial setup can be complex
  • "It can handle a lot of files quickly."
  • "Our program developer finds it to be a little unstable, development-wise."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to deal with large amounts of data, including pictures, voice data, and video data. These types of data are not suitable for SQL databases — MongoDB was designed to deal with such data. Video, pictures, voice, and other files.

Currently, we just have one customer using this solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It's a complex solution, but MongoDB can deal with many kinds of files — I can send video, pictures, voice data, and files. MongoDB can deal with these types of big data. It can handle a lot of files quickly. Older products like MySQL, cannot deal with files quickly.

What needs improvement?

Our engineer is having a bit of trouble because it's a new concept database. Currently, we're just getting used to the product.

I have been using MongoDB for slightly less than one year.

Our program developer finds it to be a little unstable, development-wise. Still, it's hard to say because we're new to this solution. It could just be that we don't understand how to properly use it yet.

We don't even know how to get ahold of MongoDB support. We don't know how to contact them. We prefer local support.

The initial setup is not very easy. We need to perform several configurations.

Deployment requires one or two engineers. We're integrators.

We have one customer using this solution. They asked to use MongoDB because they deal with large amounts of data. Oracle and MySQL cannot handle such large amounts of data so they need to migrate to a NoSQL database. For this reason, they asked us to evaluate MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

As we have not finished our evaluation yet, I can only give it a rating of seven out of ten. I can't recommend it yet for the same reason.

Learn what your peers think about MongoDB. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Text Search flexible, scalable, and simple installation
  • "One of the most valuable features is the ability to Text Search can be used anywhere and anytime."
  • "I have found the solution difficult to operate as an administrator."

What is our primary use case?

We just recently downloading the product and we were trying to do the migration and it worked well. We use it as an individual level only, small projects, and small migrations. We have completed a full project yet.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the ability to Text Search can be used anywhere and anytime.

What needs improvement?

I have found the solution difficult to operate as an administrator. They could improve the experience by adding some more features to the UI. There needs to be better integration, we have been having some issues with some projects.

I have been using the solution for the past year.

The solution has been scalable so far for our level of raw data and we expect it will be good even if we complete the whole project.

We have used SQL Server and Elasticsearch in the past. SQL Server was easier to manage as an administrator than this solution.

The installation of the solution was not an issue for the client or the server.

The solution is straightforward to download and install. However, configuring is what takes time. For a small migration, there were approximately seven people involved. We all spent some time learning the new product.

If you want support with the solution you will need to purchase a license and not use the open-source version. The license is a little expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Going by my level of experience in these solutions I would recommend it to others.

I rate MongoDB an eight out of ten.

Ossama Benaziz
Operations Director at ALTERSIS Performance
Is stable, scalable, and useful for searching, and can be deployed and maintained by one person
  • "MongoDB is scalable and stable. The initial setup is very easy, and deployment and maintenance can be done by one person."
  • "I think it would be good to have more search options such as an index resource. This will provide more options and resources to do advance searches."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for searching. For example, we use some files and documents that are stored in MongoDB, and we use it sometimes to search for certain key words. We also use it to search within the documents that are stored in MongoDB.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

I think it would be good to have more search options such as an index resource. This will provide more options and resources to do advance searches.

Criteria and filters would be good too as they will help us find what we are looking for. Filters will be useful if you want to filter something to a dashboard according to certain criteria.

I have experience with MongoDB for about six months.

MongoDB is stable. We have had no technical issues with it.

It is a scalable solution.

Technical support has been good.

Installation is very simple. It can be done in a few hours. We needed only one person for deployment and maintenance.

Our customers pay for yearly licenses for MongoDB.

What other advice do I have?

It's a very good product, and I would rate it at nine on a scale from one to ten.

Monirul Khan
Project Manager & Sr. Database Administrator at BJIT Limited
Good for document management and data analytics, but the security should be improved
  • "MongoDB has a simple data-loading interface."
  • "There should be better integration with other databases."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and we develop applications.

Our primary use of MongoDB is data analytics and it is also used for document management.

What is most valuable?

MongoDB has a simple data-loading interface. It is not as formal as a traditional database system.

What needs improvement?

There should be better integration with other databases.

The security should be improved.

We have been working with MongoDB for two or three years.

We have had no issues in terms of stability.

This is a scalable solution that is better for data analysts when compared to a traditional database.

I have used other databases but they were SQL solutions. MongoDB is different because it is a NoSQL solution and the structuring of data is less formal. It has to be formatted internally.

The initial setup is good.

This is an open-source solution.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the features are very nice and MongoDB is a solution that I would recommend. If a company or organization needs a document management platform or is doing marketing analysis then this is a good product.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Senior Database Administrator Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Easy to implement and create a cluster, very stable, and very scalable
  • "It is very easy to create a MongoDB cluster. You can deploy three nodes in one hour. You can do small configurations to enable routing. It is easy to implement."
  • "It should have GUI for managing clusters. MongoDB needs a more powerful GUI to manage clusters and make switchovers. Currently, there is no good, free tool to check the replication to find out if there is a gap."

What is our primary use case?

We recently had customers asking about MongoDB, so we have started to deploy new environments for that. We have implemented it may be four times. We are implementing it for our customers in our own infrastructure. We have done on-premises as well as cloud deployments.

Our database team works on the use cases. I work only on the implementation part. I am responsible for getting the clusters up and running. I'm just managing the server and guaranteeing that the clusters are up and running and backing up. I also handle the monitoring.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to create a MongoDB cluster. You can deploy three nodes in one hour.

You can do small configurations to enable routing. It is easy to implement.

What needs improvement?

It should have GUI for managing clusters. MongoDB needs a more powerful GUI to manage clusters and make switchovers. Currently, there is no good, free tool to check the replication to find out if there is a gap.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable. You can add nodes every day to the replica.

I have no experience with technical support.

It is easy to implement. One person can manage ten managed MongoDB clusters.

At the moment, all customers are using the community version.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend this solution. I would rate MongoDB a nine out of ten.

Thomas Robertz
Fullstack Developer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to use, reliable and free open-source solution
  • "It is really a pretty easy product to use. It's very reliable, it's proven."
  • "I'd like to see an ID generator. It's very technical but I don't think it has one, so we have to go to great lengths to work around that."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a developer use it for developing. We develop with it. We use it as a service.

We use it in a Docker container.

What is most valuable?

I'm a developer, so I use it only in development. I'm not an IT professional or upper level guy. It is really a pretty easy product to use. It's very reliable, it's proven.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what could be improved, that's a difficult question actually, because we're really very happy with it.

As for what could be included in the next release, I'd like to see an ID generator. It's very technical but I don't think it has one, so we have to go to great lengths to work around that.

I have been using MongoDB for about half a year.

In terms of scalability, all I can say is that in the organization, everybody uses it.

We're not using support.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

There's no license cost, it's open source.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on your project, I would recommend MongoDB.

On a scale of one to ten, because it's free, I'd give MongoDB a 10.

Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reasonably priced but support should be more efficient

What is our primary use case?

We use both SQL and MongoDB and they have similar characteristics. We use both tools for our work. We have less than 50 users on MongoDB in our organization.

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility, and cost. It is reasonably priced.

What needs improvement?

MongoDB should be more stable, and support should be more efficient.

We have been using the latest version for the last two years.

We have some challenges but we are working on them. It should be a bit more stable.

It is scalable.

We have some challenges with support, but we can usually get…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

Its flexibility, and cost. It is reasonably priced.

What needs improvement?

MongoDB should be more stable, and support should be more efficient.

We have been using the latest version for the last two years.

It is scalable.

We have some challenges with support, but we can usually get the right people. Customer support could be more knowledgeable, customer-friendly, and faster.

MongoDB is not a difficult product to setup.

We do not need a big team for deployment, or a high level of technical expertise. We have a couple of managers and admins.

We did not consider another product, as MongoDB was part of the whole implementation.

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I rate MongoDB a 6 out of 10. We are going to keep using MongoDB.

Other