IT Security Manager at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Highly secure, good performance, and reliable
  • "Check Point NGFW is easy to use, flexible and provides good performance. The security of the product is excellent, we do not have to do a lot of patching or upgrades because of vulnerabilities."
  • "The solution could improve by keeping more up-to-date with technology. For example, if Amazon releases something in the security field, Check Point should have integration or adoption of this feature a bit faster than it is today. Sometimes we can hear a lot of the marketing information about an attractive feature, which we would like to have, but the feature will be released in two years. This timeframe should decrease."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for a perimeter firewall, an internal segmentation firewall, and a routing device in our organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by keeping more up-to-date with technology. For example, if Amazon releases something in the security field, Check Point should have integration or adoption of this feature a bit faster than it is today. Sometimes we can hear a lot of the marketing information about an attractive feature, which we would like to have, but the feature will be released in two years. This timeframe should decrease.

I have been using Check Point NGFW for approximately nine years.

Check Point NGFW
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Check Point NGFW. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is stable.

This solution provides service for 50,000 employees in my organization.

We have premium support which is different from regular support. We have had good experiences with the support.

We have used BitScaler previously and use Check Point CloudGuard Network Security.

The installation is easy. It can be installed through an image very quickly.

The solution has saved us a lot of costs from an operational perspective.

There is an annual license required for this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. However, I would advise everyone to carefully evaluate their needs against this vendor and compare them with the competition. There is a lot of strong competition between Palo Alto and Fortinet. One could have an advantage over the other for a customer's specific use case.

I rate Check Point an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Manzoom Ahmed Khan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network Security Engineer at C-Edge Technologies Limited
Integrator
Good support with advanced blades and good reliability
  • "The Check Point architecture and packet are very good."
  • "There is a huge amount of revenue lost in the financial/banking sector due to cyber attacks, so we need to have something that can highly concentrate on future cyber attacks."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Check Point NGFW in an internet-facing manner thanks to the advanced features and security, like the SAM database.

If anyone wants to use the firewall as internet facing, then Check Point NGFW is the best option.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization gets many attacks on our server, so we have installed Check Point firewall for internet-facing scenarios,

What is most valuable?

The SAM database and advanced blade are the most valuable aspects of the product.

The Check Point architecture and packet are very good.

What needs improvement?

We need further protection from future critical cyber attacks, as cyber-attacks are growing day by day, and every day new attack is happening in the real world.

There is a huge amount of revenue lost in the financial/banking sector due to cyber attacks, so we need to have something that can highly concentrate on future cyber attacks.

Check Point should release some new technology that no vendor has ever done before.

Check Point NGFW helps me as a network security engineer as it is easy to troubleshoot the issue and also its easy to clear all vulnerabilities in Check Point after upgrading.

I have been using this solution for five years.

The stability is good.

The scalability is good.

They are awesome. They offer a high level of support.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

I have used Cisco, however, due to multiple vulnerabilities, I have switched to Check Point.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The ROI is good.

They offer good quality, therefore, the pricing doesn’t matter.

I have compared many vendors, including Sophos and Fortinet.

Check Point NGFW
December 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Analista de suporte at NTSec
User
Great usability and maintenance capabilities with excellent central management
  • "The management in Check Point is exceptional."
  • "At the moment it is not easy to configure some VPN S2S in Check Point."

What is our primary use case?

I support multiple environments in Brazil, including banks, schools, government, and the military, mostly with on-premise equipment. Some of these environments had more than 30 Check Point NGFW clusters and some of these have 4 on-premise appliances on each cluster, using the full capabilities of the Check Point Blades.

Using the firewall blades, and the threat prevention blades, we can provide big security for our customers. In the lo4j case, Check Point acts fast and all of the systems are already protected from the threat.

How has it helped my organization?

My organization already used Check Point before I arrived, however, compared with open-source firewalls, is in another tier. The usability and maintenance are so much better.

What is most valuable?

The management in Check Point is exceptional. The Smartconsole feature centralizes the management features, reports, log visualizing, rules, objects, et cetera.

What needs improvement?

The Check Point could use more time to upgrade the VPN configurations console. At the moment it is not easy to configure some VPN S2S in Check Point. You need to keep opening several groups, objects, and options to configure one simple VPN.

I've used the solution for one year.

The stability is very good!

The scalability is very good.

The initial levels of support are not that good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

We used pfSense and suggest just to go for the corporative product.

I don't have insights about the pricing for Check Point.

We did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

The need to get faster bug resolving issues. For example, the R80.40 has so many bugs at the moment.

SaifKhan1 - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Security Engineer at a consumer goods company with 201-500 employees
Descriptive logging, good dynamic port features, and the technical support is helpful
  • "The information stored in the logs is very descriptive and includes a lot of details."
  • "Until you have some experience, the installation and configuration are difficult."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product for cloud computing security. It is an integration platform for IPS and I also use it for performance monitoring.

I also coach classes on the use of this firewall, which is installed on my personal laptop.

What is most valuable?

This product is more secure than other firewalls, such as FortiGate.

The dynamic port features are better when compared to other firewalls.

What needs improvement?

This firewall is difficult to manage and use when you first begin using it. However, once you are used to it, the interface is comfortable and easy to use.

The Smart Control feature is hard to install.

In the future, I would like to see more features in the unified security management platform.

This is a reliable firewall.

Scalability is not an issue with Check Point.

Technical support from Check Point is good.

I have experience with other firewalls including FortiGate. Check Point is more secure, although it is more difficult to deploy and configure.

The licensing fees are paid on a monthly basis and I am happy with the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

Check Point is responsible for inventing several firewall security features.

In summary, this is a good product and I recommend it because it the most secure firewall on the market.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

System Security Engineer at Ziraat Teknoloji
User
Great IPS and Antivirus features with responsive technical support
  • "The Blades work fine and the performance optimization is great."
  • "The upgrading process takes too much time."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for security.

How has it helped my organization?

Check Point NGFW is a stable and user-friendly solution. It has increased the security level and stability within our organization. With the ATP solution, it works and is fully competent. It can catch many zero-day attacks and it fits NGFW well,

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are IPS and Antivirus.

The Blades work fine and the performance optimization is great.

What needs improvement?

In some features, it is not easy to use the Check Point firewall.

The IPSEC VPN setup is not easy to configure. In some cases, if the VPN is not established, it is very hard to troubleshoot the configuration. It does not address the problem well.

The upgrading process takes too much time.

I've used the solution for seven years.

The stability is very good. I would rate it at a nine out of ten.

The solution is scalable. I'd rate it at a nine out of ten.

In most cases, they answer our ticket in one day. They are willing to solve the problems at hand.

The initial setup is not easy, however, it is also not very complex. We have to use both the Gaia and smart console interface and it should be checked for some conf from the CLI.

We did and their expertise was high. We did not face many problems.

Mitchell Mugerwa - PeerSpot reviewer
Procurement Supervisor at Centenary Bank
Support is okay, but is inequitable with the price
  • "The pricing is okay."
  • "While the solution is good, we wish to have something that is a bit better, as the threats have evolved over time."

What needs improvement?

While the solution is good, we wish to have something that is a bit better, as the threats have evolved over time. We have been using Check Point for more than than eight years and are interested in a better solution. We entered a review site which ranks top security firewalls and saw that Palo Alto is ranked number one, followed by Fortinet, with Check Point in the lead. We noticed that Palo Alto was much more expensive than Fortinet, but wished to know which key features differentiated the two.

Though we did not take issue with the price of Check Point NGFW, we felt that it was providing us with inadequate support here in Uganda. This is why we decided to switch solutions. I should note that I do not have a technical background and am responsible for procurement.

The value we were getting for our money was an issue. I work for a bank for which security is very important, but we were not being assured of the appropriate support. The licensing fees we were paying did not equate with adequate local support. We had already had a bad experience with Check Point, so we did not bother with a quote from it and, instead, got one from several local companies that can support either Palo Alto or Fortinet.

We do not feel that the local support given in Uganda is equitable with the pricing.

While the pricing is okay, the local Ugandan support one gets is not commensurate with it.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Check Point NGFW as a six out of ten.

Co-Founder at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reporting need improvement and the stability is poor, but we have no complaints about the web-filtering capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for web filtering and threat analysis.

What needs improvement?

The reporting needs to be improved. I still don't have access to the reporting service.

I have been using Check Point NGFW for three years.

I am not sure which version is being used at this time. If we are not using the latest version, we are using the version before that.

We have recently had some issues with the stability of this solution. It is not stable.

We had an issue when we made some improvements to our power supply and the Check Point stopped working and needed to be recovered. There were many errors in the file system and it could not start. It blocked the work for the entire factory. We lost three days where we could not work.

That was the final straw for us and why we are moving to FortiGate.

Our company is outsourcing the support.

We are also using Fortinet FortiGate 600 and 200. We have also just ordered Palo Alto.

We pay the licensing fees on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

We are one of the largest manufacturers of steel in Europe.

I would not recommend this solution to others. I am very disappointed.

I would rate Check Point NGFW a five out of ten.

Executive at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
Stable with good identity awareness and intrusion prevention
  • "We have found the solution to be scalable."
  • "The complexity could be fixed. It's a bit complex to set up, for example."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for security.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for us are the solution's identity awareness and intrusion prevention.

The solution is very stable.

We have found the solution to be scalable.

Technical support is very good.

What needs improvement?

The complexity could be fixed. It's a bit complex to set up, for example. They could make it a streamlined and easier process.

In a future release, it would be nice if they added web administration capabilities.

I've been using the solution for about 20 years. It's been two decades at this point. I've used it for quite a while.

The stability of the solution has been excellent so far. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the product is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's not hard.

We have found the technical support to be very helpful and responsive. We are satisfied with the level of support we get from them.

The initial setup is not easy. It's a bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

We're a partner.

I'd recommend this solution to other users and companies. We've been happy with its capabilities.

I'd give the solution a rating of nine out of ten.

Download our free Check Point NGFW Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022