IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Sivanandam Krishnan - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Lead at GainInsights Solutions
Reseller
Customizable, integrates well, and reliable
  • "The most valuable features of Talend Open Studio are customization and integration."
  • "Talend Open Studio has a lot of capabilities, but there is some restriction. For example, if we want to connect to an SAP system, Open Studio cannot do it. We need to go with an enterprise version. Additionally, the monitoring features could improve."

What is our primary use case?

The solution can be deployed on the cloud and on-premise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Talend Open Studio are customization and integration.

What needs improvement?

Talend Open Studio has a lot of capabilities, but there is some restriction. For example, if we want to connect to an SAP system, Open Studio cannot do it. We need to go with an enterprise version. Additionally, the monitoring features could improve. In the next release of the solution, there should be some sort of reporting. If you compare Open Studio with the enterprise version, the enterprise is giving us the usage reports, a lot of in-built reports are available. That feature is not available in the open-source, which can be increased. However, that's not a major show stopper or a concern, but it would be nice to have those features.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for approximately eight years.
Talend Open Studio
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Talend Open Studio. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Talend Open Studio is stable.

We did some testing with the enterprise version and we did not encounter any problems with the scalability of the solution. There are scalable features available. However, the documentation could be better.

Talend Open Studio needs to improve on its documentation and support.

The initial setup of Talend Open Studio was straightforward for Windows. However, when it comes to Linux, it is a bit complicated but it's manageable.

The implementation of Talend Open Studio was done in-house.

Talend Open Studio is priced too high.

What other advice do I have?

The cost involved is high, we need to select which solution to use, the Open Studio version or the enterprise version. If there is scope for SAP or some paid connectors, we can go with the enterprise version, or the Open Studio version is capable enough to manage the data integration part. I rate Talend Open Studio an eight out of ten.
Badrakh V - PeerSpot reviewer
Information System Architect at Astvision
Straightforward to set up, stable, and the ETL tools are good
  • "The most valuable features are the ETL tools."
  • "The user interface could be made simpler."

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the ETL tools.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could be made simpler.

If I am comparing to MuleSoft, there are several things that are easier, such as the integration, as well as any connection to the database, or other data source.

In the next release, I would like to see the same simplicity for many of the same functionalities.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for about one year.

The stability is good. My colleagues in Canada recommended the use of this product in banking systems because of the stability.

We have not been in contact with technical support. Any problems that we have had so far, we have been able to solve by searching with Google.

We did not use a similar solution prior to Talend Open Studio, although we are planning on switching to MuleSoft.

The initial setup is not complex. It takes approximately one week to deploy.

We have our own team for the maintenance of Talend Open Studio.

From the start, we were planning on using MuleSoft, but they don't sell to residents of Mongolia.

We used the MuleSoft community edition, and for me, it's better than Talend. In my opinion, Mule is more user-friendly and Talend can be complex.

Our backup plan was Talend.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is that I recommend it and they should try using it. It's not bad and if they know Java and it might be simple for them.

Talend Open Studio
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Expert Consultant CRM at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Simple job creation, useful basic functionality, but heavy memory usage

What is our primary use case?

We have migrated to the Talend Open Studio version 7.3. but have not used it yet. I have only done some testing on another computer to see how the new version is functioning.

We use Talend Open Studio only to do the ETL from our database, it takes XML files and converts them to CSV. Talend Open Studio transforms files on the website and modifies them for the database.

What is most valuable?

Talend Open Studio is easy to create jobs. We use the basic functionality and it is very good.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of aspect of Talend Open Studio that should be improved.

We need more components to be more efficient. We use a lot of components, such as Salesforce, and it's not easy to use. There's are minor bugs and it's not easy to use some of the features.

Talend Open Studio takes a lot of memory to use, we want to be careful because it needs memory.

I have been using Talend Open Studio for approximately four years.

Talend Open Studio is a very stable solution.

I have not used the support from Talend Open Studio.

The deployment of Talend Open Studio is straightforward.

We used a consultant to do the implementation of the solution.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Talend Open Studio a seven out of ten.

Franklin Nascimento - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Associate at Data Meaning, Inc.
You can do mapping, workflow, and orchestration all in one place
  • "Talend lets you do everything — mapping, workflow, and orchestration — in a single place."
  • "Talend should improve the log and error handling to better track the errors you find during development. Sometimes it's challenging to see what's causing an issue, and tracking that on Talend is complicated."

What is our primary use case?

We were using the entire Talend solution for the last client, but it was only for integration between the databases and the data warehouse. It was a standard ETL job. We have Talend Open Studio deployed on our desktop, but we used the Talend cloud service for our clients.

What is most valuable?

Talend lets you do everything — mapping, workflow, and orchestration — in a single place.

What needs improvement?

Talend should improve the log and error handling to better track the errors you find during development. Sometimes it's challenging to see what's causing an issue, and tracking that on Talend is complicated.

I've been working with Talend for around two years. I'm no expert, but I have enough knowledge to create an entire solution using the tool.

Talend support is good.

Since I'm only a developer, I didn't have much information about the installation.

The price is low. It's always good

What other advice do I have?

I rate Talend Open Studion eight out of 10. Talend can do everything that you want to do, but to do the more complex tasks, you need extensive knowledge of IT processes. You need to know what you're doing or you won't' be able to do anything in Talend.

Head of Data at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
An intuitive and easy to use solution that comes with so many connectors
  • "It has got so many connectors. It is intuitive and easy to use."
  • "It is not as visually appealing as some of the other tools."

What is most valuable?

It has got so many connectors. It is intuitive and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It is not as visually appealing as some of the other tools.

We have been working with Talend Open Studio for five years.

It is a stable solution.

It is scalable. At the moment, six or seven users are using it.

They've been good.

It was moderately straightforward.

Price could be lower. It is getting too expensive when compared to some other solutions, which is actually a little bit concerning.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good enterprise solution. We are about to migrate to a public cloud. They've got lots of extra features when you go to the cloud, especially around data management and data quality. They're definitely a leader. Gartner has included them in the top quadrants. They're just getting a little bit pricey. They've got to be careful of their pricing.

I would rate Talend Open Studio an eight out of ten. It is pretty good.

BI developer at a comms service provider with 501-1,000 employees
Integrates well with multiple data sources but the support could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for development purposes. This solution is installed on my PC. For the project that we're currently working on, I am the only user.

What is most valuable?

Talend can connect to multiple data sources, including relational data sources, ERP, CRM, and others.

What needs improvement?

Talent consumes a lot of resources on my PC. Also, the support could be better.

I have been using Talend Open Studio since April 2020.

There are always new versions being released — new updates. Periodically, we upgrade it to avoid any old bugs.

As it's open-source, there is no commercial support. We just use the forums and ask the community when we need help.

The initial setup was very easy.

I installed it myself.

We use the open-source version. It does the job well for nothing — without cost. That's the advantage of this product.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Talend. It's open-source and it's a good product. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Talend a rating of seven.

IsmailLahbabi - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Able to handle lots of data, offers great features, and overall has a lot of advantages in the market
  • "We're able to handle large amounts of data with ease."
  • "The pricing could be lower. They should work to make it more affordable."

What is most valuable?

The solution, in general, offers us a lot of great advantages.

It has a lot of very interesting features that we can use.

We're able to handle large amounts of data with ease.

What needs improvement?

I can't recall any missing features within the solution. Overall, we are happy with it.

The pricing could be lower. They should work to make it more affordable.

The solution can sometimes be slow from time to time while using the server. It would be ideal if it was more responsive.

The solution can sometimes run slow on the server. We'd like it to operate faster.

I've worked with SSIS in the past, and I've found that Talend actually offers many more features and capabilities.

The solution's pricing could be better. Its costs are a bit high.

What other advice do I have?

We're primarily customers and end-users. We aren't partners with Talend.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten overall. We're mostly quite happy with the product.

Director at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Straightforward to set up and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Talend Open Studio is one of the products that we implement for our clients. I work as an integrator and a data flow developer.

The primary use case for Talend is data integration. It is typically used by engineers and managers.

What is most valuable?

This product is very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The security features could be improved.

I have been working with Talend Open Studio for six years.

Talend Open Studio is a stable solution.

This product is scalable. We have five customers who are using it.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes two hours to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

Talend Open Studio is a good product and I recommend it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Download our free Talend Open Studio Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022