IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Security Information Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reliable with a nice web interface but needs better reporting

What is most valuable?

We find it very similar to Fortify and has the same advantages.  The web interface is very good.  We have found the solution to be stable.  The solution offers a very good community edition.

What needs improvement?

There isn't a very good enterprise report. They also do not have an application report. We'd like for them to work on this aspect.

I've used the solution for three years. I've used it for a while now.

In terms of stability, the solution is reliable and the performance is good. There are no bugs. It's not glitchy. It doesn't crash or freeze.
SonarQube
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonarQube. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've never used technical support. I can't talk about how helpful they are, never spoken with them personally. If I do need to troubleshoot, I tend to rely on the community and search for answers there.

We've also used Fortify.

I didn't participate in the installation process. I can't speak to how easy or difficult the process was.

I use the community version of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and an end-user. I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's mostly reliable.
Software Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Beneficial testing tool, helps developer become sharper, and makes software more secure
  • "The solution can verify vulnerabilities, code smells, and hotspots. It makes the software more secure and it helps make a junior or novice developer sharper."
  • "The software testing tool capability could improve. It does not always integrate well. You have to use a specific plugin and the plugin does not always go in Apple's applications."

What is our primary use case?

I use SonarQube for testing software.

What is most valuable?

The solution can verify vulnerabilities, code smells, and hotspots. It makes the software more secure and it helps make a junior or novice developer sharper.

What needs improvement?

The software testing tool capability could improve. It does not always integrate well. You have to use a specific plugin and the plugin does not always go in Apple's applications.

In the next release, they should add the ability to analyze containers.

I have been using SonarQube for approximately three years.

We have mostly software developers using this solution are there are approximately 50 using it.

I have used Snyk and it is more catered to a different audience than SolarQube.SolarQube is more for software developers.

The installation is straightforward, especially with the new Docker implementation.

I did the implementation of the solution myself.

The process of purchasing the solution could improve.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a good static test tool for developers. It helps keep the maintainability and security of software.

I rate SonarQube an eight out of ten.

SonarQube
June 2022
609,272 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Product Manager | Senior Software Developer at RedShift II - Solutions
Coding quality assurance tool that comes with good DevOps implementation
  • "This solution has the capability to analyze source code in almost all the languages in the market."
  • "This is a well-rounded solution, however, some features could be made available on the free version. The price of the solution could be reduced."

What is our primary use case?

This solution has the capability to analyze source code in almost all the languages in the market.

What needs improvement?

This is a well-rounded solution, however, some features could be made available on the free version. The price of the solution could be reduced.

I have used this solution for ten years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution. We have been using it for all of our critical projects.

I have never made the calculations to understand the real value of this solution but I know that the return of investment is very good. If not, we wouldn't have continued to use it for the past 10 years.

As a user and a consumer of this solution, it can be pricey for my company to support and use, even though there are many benefits. For this reason, we use the free version. In the future, as our product cycles develop and evolve at a more steady pace, we hope to invest in the licensing for this tool.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has evolved a lot in the last ten years.

It comes with good DevOps implementation and security, which is a big problem today.

Senior Product Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Less false positive scans, covers entire developer community, but support could improve

What is our primary use case?

SonarQube delivers a continuous inspection of code quality.

What is most valuable?

When comparing other static code analysis tools, SonarQube has fewer false-positive issues being reported. They have a lot of support for different tech stacks. It covers the entire developer community which includes Salesforce or it could be the regular Java.net project. It has actually sufficed all the needs in one tool for static code analysis.

I have been using SonarQube for approximately two years.

The stability of SonarQube is good.

I have found SonarQube to be scalable.

SonarQube needs to improve its support model. They do not work 24/7, and they do not provide weekend support in case things go wrong. They only have a standard 8:00 am to 5:00 pm support model in which you have to raise a support ticket and wait. The support model is not effective for premium customers.

SonarQube is very user-friendly and it works for all tech stacks. It should be easy for any kind of integrations that you need to build. Additionally, SonarQube comes with a lot of in-house APIs.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonarQube a seven out of ten.

Security Engineer at a computer software company with 201-500 employees
Free, scalable, but documentation needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution for our staging environment to review the security issues before going live or into production.

What needs improvement?

I have found this solution creates more noise than competitors.

The documentation and reporting extract can improve because other solutions are far more advanced.

I have been using this solution for approximately two years.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. However, we do not use it as a SaaS solution, we use it for our staging environment at a minimum scale.

We have approximately 10 people using this solution in my organization.

Previously I worked with Fortify and Veracode and I have found those tools provided much better because they are from a commercial solution.

Our development team did the implementation of this solution.

This solution is free.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is this solution is one of the best in the free market in the industry and it is a good one to use.

I rate SonarQube a seven out of ten.

RakeshPal - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager at Digichorus Technologies
Good code review and reporting of basic vulnerabilities in your applications
  • "SonarQube is good in terms of code review and to report on basic vulnerabilities in your applications."
  • "It does not provide deeper scanning of vulnerabilities in an application, on a live session. This is something we are not happy about. Maybe the reason for that is we are running the community edition currently, but other editions may improve on that aspect."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for scanning our web applications, some internal applications and using it for code reviews.

What is most valuable?

SonarQube is good in terms of code review and to report on basic vulnerabilities in your applications. The code writing standard of SonarQube is good. It may be better in other editions but as we don't use those we're not able to find out with SonarQube. We are using the community, developer version for 14 days. If this version is successful we will go to the full version. We're using it on-premises.

What needs improvement?

We have been using SonarQube for one year.

It is stable.

SonarQube is scalable.

SonarQube was easy to setup.

We considered using Fortify.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SonarQube an eight out of 10.

Founder at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Works fine and provides good value for money

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a gatekeeper for our external developers to follow the rules. If they don't comply with the rules within the source code, they cannot commit.

What is most valuable?

It is working fine. It provides good value for money.

What needs improvement?

One thing to improve would be the integration. There is a steep learning curve to get it integrated.

I have been using this solution for maybe two years.

It is stable.

It is definitely scalable. Currently, we have six users.

We didn't contact them.

This was our first one.

Its initial setup is okay. It is not too difficult. It probably took a couple of hours.

One developer is enough for its deployment.

We pay €10 per month for this solution, which is good. It provides good value for money.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. I would rate SonarQube a nine out of 10.

Project Manager, Senior Architect at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Well featured, easily manageable, identifies production issues

What is our primary use case?

We decided to implement the solution to keep up to date with testing, security, and other issues with developments, such as bugs.

What is most valuable?

In regards to features, overall the product is good. It minimizes the difficulty or issues that we encountered during the production. We are using the open-sourced version and issues can easily be resolved.

I have been using the solution for four to five years.

We are using everything that is open-source and this allows us when we have the regular day to day issues, our team works on them directly to identifying their causes and they resolve them quickly.

We have our internal team that is very knowledgeable, experienced, and have extreme abilities that handle our needs.

I think comparing the product to competitors it should be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend SonarQube. It is a good deal compared to all other tools on the market.  It certainly helped us, it is a good tool and should be definitely used.

I rate SonarQube a nine out of ten.

Download our free SonarQube Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022