We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
IT Team Lead Planning & Assets at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly and reliable with good support
  • "What I like the most is the failover and the quick restore of virtual machines."
  • "Integration with cloud products would be beneficial."

What is our primary use case?

We use Oracle VM for the ESX servers from NetApp. It's a product for development.

What is most valuable?

What I like the most is the failover and the quick restore of virtual machines.

The interface is quite user-friendly. They are easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Based on my experience, I don't do enough to actually dislike any of the features that I use.

When deploying machines, we had a couple of issues, where it took up two to three times before it ran with no issues.

Integration with cloud products would be beneficial. At the moment, a lot of companies actually have that available with on-premise.

The security improvement around it, to integrate it with the cloud. It's something that every company is now focusing on. That would be the way to go.

I have been working with Oracle VM for more than ten years.

It's quite stable. It's very reliable. We run most of our servers as virtual machines. We pretty much run the entire company across it.

It's a scalable solution. Across the whole company, we have 2,500 users.

I personally have not contacted technical support, but the site support team has.

There were no complaints, it was more of a support call. We have a contract in place, when we have some issues, we just call for support.

In regards to pricing, a lot of that is dictated. The tools and technology that we use are dictated by a global engineering team based in the US.

Because it's one shop fits all, for a big corporation, or a big company like us if they say we have to use VMware, then we've got global partners, and we approach our partners for pricing.

With having a global contract, we get some discounts. we just move forward with it.

We don't really have much of a say when it comes down to pricing, because it's all done at a global level.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle has always been one of the best database software on the market, and that's from at a corporate level.

We used to use SQL in the past, and we've moved away from SQL in a lot of ways. So, I would definitely recommend Oracle based on its stability, the support it provides and being reliable.

I wouldn't give it a 10 unless I knew exactly everything about it. There's a certain aspect of it that I don't use because it's done by our global engineering team. what I know of it, I think, eight is reasonable.

If I knew more about the product, having used all of the features that comes with it, and still didn't have an issue and find it still being stable and reliable and a great product to work with, I'll probably give it a 10.

Because I don't use the extended features, I would rate Oracle VM an eight out of ten.

Sr. Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable and customizable, but lacks flexibility
  • "There's a lot of space to customize the solution if you need to."
  • "The solution needs more features and flexibility in terms of communicating with other platforms. If it had that, it would be the perfect product."

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate the stability of the solution. It's quite reliable.

There's a lot of space to customize the solution if you need to.

What needs improvement?

If there was an option that made customization easier, it would make for a better solution.

The solution needs to be more integration capabilities overall.

I've been using the solution for about one year. I don't have too much experience with the solution, personally.

The stability is quite good. It's reliable. There aren't glitches, nor are there bugs. It doesn't crash or freeze. It works well for us.

The solution is not very scalable. We are using Oracle CC, and it's not very flexible. It can't merge or communicate with other systems, which limits things quite a bit.

In our company, more than 100 people are currently using the solution.

We've reached out to technical support in the past and have been very satisfied with their level of response. We don't have a problem with them at all. We've had a good experience overall.

We had to switch from a different solution to Oracle. We're an Oracle partner in our country. We have a sister company, which is also a partner of Oracle. Previously, we were on Citrix. It is an open-source platform.

I didn't handle the implementation. I don't know if the initial setup was complex or straightforward. Other people on my team handled that part of the process.

I'm on the technical side of things, so I don't deal with the licensing part of the business. I'm not sure what the costs are. It doesn't concern my day-to-day.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with Oracle.

We are actually an IT service provider and an internet service provider. We have a lot of experience with VMware.

I'm not the person who updates the solution, so I'm not sure what version it is that we are on, but it is most likely the latest.

While the solution is okay, the flexibility is lacking. I would much rather recommend VMware over Oracle VM at this time due to the greater flexibility in that other system.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. If it offered much more flexibility or was closer to offering features that were closer to what VMware offers, I would rate it a bit higher.

Learn what your peers think about Oracle VM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Founder and President at a training & coaching company with 1-10 employees
Separates your clusters to get your licenses agreement in scope
  • "The biggest advantage of Oracle VM is that you can separate your clusters to get your licenses agreement in scope."
  • "The performance could be better because I need to purchase a lot of CPUs to perform in the workbench."

What is our primary use case?

I am an Oracle Specialist and manage Oracle databases. Oracle VM is being used in test-based environments, dedicated services. Being a product expert and an engineer, I help customers work with Oracle. I have seen this solution in customer organizations that are in excess of 10,000 users.

What is most valuable?

Oracle VM has a bigger fence next to VMware in size, so when you install or migrate day-to-day services with Oracle-related applications, it will always look better, or be a better fit in an Oracle VM environment.

You will have a faster migration using Oracle VM because it is an Oracle product.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Oracle VM for many years.

The scalable of Oracle VM is good if you have a good link.

Technical support at Oracle has been better in the past. Currently, you get first-level support so it takes you a long time to get the correct level of support.

The initial setup of Oracle VM is as straightforward as it can be taking me 20 minutes.

My customers are all working with enterprise edition licenses with Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

For Oracle-based environments, it is always better to use Oracle software because of the integration.

I advise people when they are on their first visualization layers to go to Oracle first and see if that is performing. Otherwise, if you go to other virtualization layers your whole cloud stack will be licensed as well on one domain.

When you install Oracle VM in a VMware environment, it can have mismatches with libraries that are not correctly compiled. It is important to have a dedicated service or an Oracle VM to test if it is working and it's not the hypervisor that is causing the concern.

I rate Oracle VM an 8 out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Senior System Administrator at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A decent amount of features, however needs better integration and Snapshot capabilities
  • "The solution is very stable. I don't recall any bugs or glitches. It's reliable. It doesn't crash or freeze."
  • "If you do a gap analysis between VMware and Oracle VM, you can't do VM Snapshot. That's one thing you can't do. It's a sort of a snapshot, but it's not really Snapshot technology. It requires that you're running on CFS-2."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution strictly for Oracle licensed products.

What is most valuable?

The solution has the exact features we need.

What needs improvement?

The solution lacks a lot of extra key features.

There's an overall lack of integration with other software and there is also a lack of integration with backup solutions.

Oracle has stated that they intend to improve the solution. I'm not sure when this will happen, however. It may have been declared end of life, therefore, I can't imagine that they'll actually add to it at this point.

I've been using the solution for a little over three years.

The scalability of the solution is pretty good. If an organization needs to expand it, they can do so.

We don't plan to increase our usage, however. We plan to move off it in the near future.

The solution was not necessarily complex. It was very straightforward.

The initial installation was a combination of a hired individual that had had some experience, and ourselves. Mostly it was done by our team getting training as much as we could, due to the fact that they kept on canceling the classes. Mostly we handled the implementation on our own.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with Oracle.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend this product, as we are moving off of it. I would suggest that other organizations go with a KVM-based product. It's my understanding that Oracle will not be continuing with the product, and therefore no more work will be done to add features or improve the product.

Overall, I'd rate the solution six out of ten.

Emmanuel FOMUDE
Senior Oracle Database Administrator at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Stable, open-source, and the integration is good
  • "It's quite stable."
  • "The usage could be easier, and more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

The main use case of this solution is integration. The integration of the database and compatibility with the affiliate in terms of license management. This will reduce the cost of the license.

It is the same use case as vSan except that you can partition the applications and it forces you to license the processor, as opposed to the server.

What needs improvement?

I would like to simplify the processes to implement. When you want to implement Oracle, the steps that you perform could be simplified.

The usage could be easier, and more user-friendly.

I have been using Oracle VM for a few months, we started using it in November.

We are using version 3.4.

It's quite stable.

We have 10 users in our organization. It's a new product.

We are still in the testing phase. We are looking forward to observing its behavior. If it behaves well and there are no major incidents that give us or the support team issues, we will continue to plan ahead and implement it.

Technical support could be faster.

It is very difficult to implement.

It is not user-friendly, so you need a bit of skill to deploy it.

When compared to other solutions, it is quite complex. The complexity depends on the individual environment.

For the deployment, you need a consultant and an integrator. It is very difficult to deploy this solution. If you use the server storage, you need a consultant.

Oracle VM is inexpensive. It's open-source, but you pay for support.

Oracle is free of charge, although you have to have a subscription for the support.

What other advice do I have?

Currently, they are trying to improve this solution database and technology. They are trying to upgrade it to make it a more customizable database.

I would certainly recommend this solution to other users who have Oracle applications. It has been customized to optimize this database.

I would rate Oracle VM a nine out of ten.

Senior Manager at NCS Group
Scales well and the technical support is good, but the orchestration should be improved
  • "What I like best about this product is that it's free."
  • "Oracle VM should be more feature-rich."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the virtual machine to host our databases and other applications.

What is most valuable?

What I like best about this product is that it's free. It helps customers and end-users save money.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better orchestration, as it would help in terms of setup.

Better automation would help in terms of provisioning and configuring new VMs.

Oracle VM should be more feature-rich.

Using this product should come at no charge, regardless of the platform.

We have been using Oracle VM for two or three years. We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients.

I have not seen any issues with stability.

Scalability has not been a problem. One of our older clients has about 1,000 end-users and one that we are working on now is expected to have about 50,000.

We have support directly from Oracle and we haven't had any issues with it.

I also have experience with VMware. The setup for VMware is a little bit easier.

The initial setup is not as easy as VMware, but over time and with experience, it will become easier.

Oracle VM is free if you are running it on Oracle infrastructure hardware, otherwise, it is subscription-based.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is researching this solution is to consider the total cost of ownership. It does not make sense to try and save money on hardware if you are going to have really expensive software. Be sure to look at the entire ecosystem, rather than the itemized cost.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Sr System Support Eng at Techaccess Pakistan
Good for creating clusters and primary file takeaways
  • "Good visualization hypervisor."
  • "Deployment should be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

We generally recommend this solution to our customers and we deploy it for them. The solution runs on the exologic environment with multiple VMs and multiple abbreviations. In this case the solution is being used in a telecommunications company. Most of our clients are big enterprise. We partner with Oracle and I'm a senior systems support engineer.

What is most valuable?

The previous version was full of bugs but they seem to have resolved all the issues on it so it's a good solution. Oracle VM is a good visualization hypervisor, like VMware and Hyper-V. We can create clusters, and primary file takeaways.

What needs improvement?

They could improve deployment by making the documentation easier. Also, I always find it difficult to mount the image on the Oracle VM. There are a few things that could be improved, features such as mounting and unmounting the images on Oracle VM.

I've been using this solution for around five years.

This is a stable product.

Scalability is good, we're able to deploy the solution to big environments.

The initial setup is straightforward, deployment time really depends on the client's needs. Sometime it takes two to three days and sometimes it can take months. We also do the maintenance for them.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

Manager, IT at a renewables & environment company with 5,001-10,000 employees
The solution is easy to use with minimal cost when it is shut down
  • "The solution is easy to use. You can spin one up when you need to and then shut it down."
  • "I would like to be able to ship all of our logs. This feature could exist and I am just not aware of it."

What is our primary use case?

I manage the Oracle Cloud infrastructure, including all our VMs, firewalls and load balances.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to use. You can spin one up when you need to and then shut it down. When it is shut down the cost is minimal. It makes it very easy to do testing and training, including 'what-if'' situations.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to take all our logs and ship them to a corporate site. However, this feature could exist and I just haven't had the chance to explore that.

Stability is good, I would rate it an 8 out of 10 in this area.

Scalability is good.

The price compares well with other solutions. Oracle has flexible payment and cost methods. We use an annual credit plan by committing to one year in the Oracle environment. By making this commitment they provide deep discounts for what we do. They also offer a pay as you go and monthly plans.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Oracle VM a 9 out of 10.