Kevin Honde - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Solution Architect at Econet Wireless Zimbabwe
Easy to install, stable and scalable, with good support
  • "The good thing about Oracle Linux is that it's free, as long as you don't want support."
  • "They should increase security."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution internally to develop our systems.

Our developers work in another section to develop the data center. We provide services to the developers and other business units.

What is most valuable?

It's a good product, and the areas to improve are quite limited.

The good thing about Oracle Linux is that it's free, as long as you don't want support. If you want the support you have to pay for it.

What needs improvement?

They don't provide updates.

It could be more secure. They should increase security.

Also, the scalability should be improved.

In the next release, I would like to see it more secure and more usable to adapt to the new technologies that are coming up.

I have been using this solution for two years.

We are using the latest version. We are always updating.

Oracle Linux
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Linux. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It's a very stable product.

It's a scalable solution. It's basic Linux clustering and high availability. We have approximately 20 users in our organization.

Their support is quite good.

We are satisfied with technical support. There is no need to be improved. There is no need to be faster, more knowledgeable, or customer friendly.

We also use SUSE Linux, Ubuntu Linux, CentOS, and Red Hat Linux.

The installation is quite straightforward.

It takes about an hour to install.

We need a team of two people who concentrate on Oracle Linux.

I am able to complete the installation myself.

Oracle Linux is free, you only pay for support.

If you don't want support you can fully pay for the enterprise solution.

It's cheaper than RedHat. Oracle support is a bit cheaper than Red Hat's support.

Oracle Linux is very cheap at this time.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate Oracle Linux and eight out of ten.

RusiPopov - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Software Engineer at Paysafe
Provides a Good Stable Development Environment Without Needing Patches
  • "The graphical interface is fine. And the documentation is extremely valuable."
  • "The Oracle Linux graphical interface could be improved by fixing its occasional freezing on personal home laptops."

What is our primary use case?

We use the product in a development environment for development purposes only.

As a developer, I interact mostly with the product's shell. I'm experienced in programming in shell.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Linux in a VirtualBox provides a good, stable development environment without needing patches and with no hanging.

What is most valuable?

The graphical interface is fine. And the documentation is extremely valuable.

What needs improvement?

The Oracle Linux graphical interface could be improved by fixing its occasional freezing on personal home laptops. The Oracle Linux development environment in VirtualBox never freezes.

The service could also be improved if the cost of Oracle support was not so expensive.

We've been using the product for more than a year.

The solution is stable.

I have a free version of the product without support. So far, all the answers I've needed were in the extensive Oracle documentation.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Positive

Our previous development environment used to crash in the virtual machine; it was slower, not well integrated with Oracle VM Box, and the support was poor.

Before that, we used Windows 7, which crashed twice, forcing us to start everything from scratch. This is why we switched to Linux.

The initial setup was straightforward, and deployment took less than an hour.

What other advice do I have?

We use the product as a virtual machine in a development environment for development purposes only. We still do not use Oracle Cloud. The company is oriented towards Amazon Web Services, but on Oracle Linux, we are playing with Kubernetes and Docker.

I don't use the Oracle Linux administrative dashboard.

The product is stable and up to date. The Linux command prompt is always the same. I just fit it, and it suits my needs. That's why I would recommend it.

I would rate Oracle Linux a nine out of ten.

Other
Oracle Linux
November 2022
657,849 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Manager of Customer Services with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, good patching capability, and secure by default
  • "The user interface is comfortable and easy to use."
  • "The GUI could be made more attractive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a DNS server.

We also have Oracle Vault and Oracle Fire installed on it. We are planning to use it as a model system, for learning.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is its stability. I adore the stability.

It is easy to use. The patching, connectivity, and storage are all good.

The iSCSI support is helpful.

This product is very secure by default. You should be able to use everything that you want to use. If you need to employ any service then you should enable the security for it.

The user interface is comfortable and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be made more attractive.

I have been using Oracle Linux for three years.

it is very stable.

Oracle Linux is not really scalable.

We have two or three direct users, on top of 1,050 who use it indirectly.

We do not use any technical support.

We have also used Red Hat Linux, although we stopped using it about three years ago.

The initial setup is straightforward. It takes maybe two days to complete. the first day is for installation and preparation, and another day is required for patching. It takes a long time to complete patching and updates.

I deployed it myself. Only one administrator is required for deployment and maintenance.

This is an open-source product that can be used free of charge.

There are many different flavors of Linux but I haven't gone deep enough in them to compare them all.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Linux is a product that I recommend.

Vijay Mehta - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager - SAP at Capgemini
Helpful support, plenty of features, and stable

What is our primary use case?

We were using Oracle Linux for moving the SAP on Oracle workloads to the cloud.

What is most valuable?

Overall Oracle Linux is very good.

What needs improvement?

The price of Oracle Linux should improve, it is expensive compared to other solutions.

I have been using Oracle Linux for approximately three years.

We have ad a very good experience with Oracle Linux, and we have been happy.

Oracle Linux is in the cloud making it very scalable.

The scalability of Oracle Linux can depend on many factors. We are currently working on a UK project, it changes completely. For those systems, approximately 600 to 800 users work on those SAP systems which are hosted on Oracle Linux.

We are using close to 55 VMs now in our current project.

My colleagues who are junior architects have contacted the support and the feedback has been great.

We switched from Red Hat to Oracle Linux.

Oracle Linux was not our first choice but it was our company requirement.

Oracle Linux's setup is straightforward. The process was no different for us as compared to Red Hat or SUSE.

The implementation of Oracle Linux was done in-house.

The number of people needed to implement and support Oracle Linux depends on the duration of the project and the number of VMs. In the current project that we're working on, we have close to 60 Oracle VMs and, over a period of four to six months, we did the implementation with one engineer, it is fairly simple.

Oracle Linux license and support are far more expensive than Red Hat or SUSE.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Linux an eight out of ten.

IT Manager with 1-10 employees
The best Linux operating system I have ever known; stable and strong
  • "Oracle Linux has fulfilled all my requirements so far. It has very advanced features, especially the latest product for this Oracle in a cloud infrastructure."
  • "I think the pricing could be improved to be more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Linux for our clustering system. We are doing many things with Oracle Linux and the Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager. I am using an Oracle database and an Oracle Linux-based operating system.

What is most valuable?

I find the virtualization the most valuable. Oracle Linux is a very good product.

Oracle Linux has fulfilled all my requirements so far. It has very advanced features, especially the latest product for this Oracle in a cloud infrastructure.

On-premises we are using the Oracle Linux Virtualization Manager. It is very good software.

What needs improvement?

I think the pricing could be improved to be more competitive. I have been using Oracle Linux for a long time. At the moment, I'm trying to expand on our use cases and the GPL license we have is sufficient for that.

The technical support could be better, as well.

It would also be great if Oracle Linux had a desktop version. Right now, unline Windows 11 for example, Oracle Linux is server-based only.

I have been working with Oracle Linux since 1990.

Oracle Linux is the best Linux operating system that I have ever known. It is very stable and strong.

Oracle Linux is very scalable. It is a very strong operating system.

So far, I'm not using any external technical support. I'm maintaining my team very well.

The initial setup was straightforward for me because I have been using Oracle Linux for a long time. The platform I used previously was Sun Microsystems, so it is not difficult for me to use Unix-based applications.

Private Cloud
Enterprise Architect at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Is stable, secure, and does not have memory issues
  • "There are several valuable features in Oracle Linux. For example, it's very secure and stable. You don't have to reboot it frequently."
  • "Oracle Linux performs best on Linux or Unix. However, you cannot get the same performance or stability in Windows."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for billing and for Oracle applications.

What is most valuable?

There are several valuable features in Oracle Linux. For example, it's very secure and stable. You don't have to reboot it frequently. You also don't have memory issues, especially when it is engineered with platforms like Exadata and Oracle Cluster. These give you the most throughput and performance.

What needs improvement?

Oracle Linux performs best on Linux or Unix. However, you cannot get the same performance or stability in Windows.

I've been using Oracle for, maybe, 20 years.

It's very stable and gives you the best performance when it is on Linux and Unix.

It is very scalable, especially on platforms like Oracle Cluster and Exadata.

Technical support has been good.

We switched to Oracle Linux because of its security and stability.

Installation requires a lot of skills and is not easy. An expert is required to handle it.

Depending on the size of the company and the size of the business, no less than two or three people are required for deployment and maintenance. If it's a huge implementation, it would require more staff.

I think that we have a yearly license.

What other advice do I have?

You need skilled people to handle Oracle Linux. It's not easy to find those who are skilled in Linux.

I definitely recommend this solution and would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Sr. Manager - Tech Ops at a media company with 10,001+ employees
Supports many systems, great support, and reliable
  • "The stability of Oracle Linux is good."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Oracle Linux for server systems.

I have been using Oracle Linux for approximately one year.

The stability of Oracle Linux is good.

Oracle Linux is scalable, We have thousands of systems running on it.

We have no plans to increase usage but we are only maintaining what we have.

I would rate the support from Oracle a four out of five.

We have previously used CentOS, which is quite different from Oracle Linux. and Red Hat because we are running Oracle databases.

The initial setup is reasonably straightforward.

We did the implementation of Oracle Linux in-house. We have two people who are supporting this solution.

The price of Oracle Linux is similar to Red Hat. That's the reason why we went, with a combination of CentOS and Red Hat, and then later to all Oracle Linux. We not do not have to maintain two different solutions.

If you choose the support there are additional costs but there are not any other costs.

The price of Oracle Linux overall could be less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle Linux is very good. Oracle has put a good amount of effort into enhancing it from generic, plain Red Hat Enterprise Linux for Oracle's purposes. The support is good, it is all we asked for.

I rate Oracle Linux a nine out of ten.

PradeepKumar11 - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT Manager at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Straightforward to set up, easy to use, and stable
    • "The performance is good and the solution has been stable."
    • "The solution could be less costly."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for running personal and business applications.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good and the solution has been stable.

The interface is user-friendly.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be less costly.

I've been using the solution for quite some time. It's been a few years at this point.

The solution has been stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. The performance is good and it's a reliable product.

We have roughly less than 50 people using the solution in our organization.

I've used technical support in the past. There's not much to say. The support has been fine.

We did not use a different solution. We've been using the product for many years at this point.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

I was able to handle the implementation process on my own. I did not need outside assistance.

We would prefer it if the licensing costs were lowered.

We pay a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. The product has been very reliable for me over the years. It has good capabilities.

Would recommend the solution to other users and organizations.

Download our free Oracle Linux Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: November 2022