Associate Director, Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Stable with good functionalities and works well overall
  • "The functionalities on offer are very good."
  • "The solution would be better if it had cloud functionalities."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used as the API gateway. It's for the application that performs the function as the API for the consumer.

What is most valuable?

The customer seems to really like how this particular solution works.

The solution is very stable.

The functionalities on offer are very good.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be better if it had cloud functionalities.

It would be very helpful if it supported Azure and/or AWS marketplaces. Right now, if I want to set up something in Azure, I need to set up a VM from scratch instead of just being able to have it be supported and integrated.

I've only really been assisting my customer, who uses this solution. However, it's my understanding that they have been using the product for a long time.

IBM API Connect
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM API Connect. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The stability has been very good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs. From a performance perspective, it's reliable.

The customer has many, many users on the solution currently. I can't speak to exact numbers. I know there are a lot.

I've never dealt with IBM's technical support. I'm unsure if the client even has a contract that allows them access to IBM's support. If they do, I would definitely reach out to discuss the product and its capabilities more. I'm not sure if a technical support license is extra or just comes with the license itself or if it expires over time, et cetera. I haven't looked into it at all.

I've never handled an installation before. I wouldn't be able to speak from personal experience. I can't get into details about implementation or deployment or how long the process takes.

I proposed to the client that they use the cloud-native API gateway in Azure or in AWS, however, they wanted to go for the API Connect.

What other advice do I have?

I'm considering migrating API Connect to Azure.

I'm still doing the assessment for this product. That is due to the fact that the move to the cloud is just not only for this product. We have a lot of products in terms of the customer's applications. I need to assess everything together and then propose to my end customer.

I'm a vendor. I do assessments for my customer.

I wouldn't recommend this solution to other organizations at this time. It's on-premises and everyone is moving to the cloud. It makes more sense to seek out a cloud solution.

Overall, I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Uthman Rasheed - PeerSpot reviewer
API Engineer/IBM Datapower Specialist at Tenece Professional services
Integrates well with other vendors, highly secure, and flexible installation
  • "I have found IBM API Connect to be highly secure, efficient, easy to deploy, and has a great GUI. It can operate and integrate well with other vendors, such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft."
  • "The installation was difficult with the IBM toolkit."

What is our primary use case?

We are using IBM API Connect to integrate bank applications. We are linking frontend services with the backend to prevent unwanted penetration.

What is most valuable?

I have found IBM API Connect to be highly secure, efficient, easy to deploy, and has a great GUI. It can operate and integrate well with other vendors, such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.

I have been using IBM API Connect for approximately two years.

The solution has a modern cloud and it has been stable and reliable. We have not had any breaches of security.

The solution is highly scalable, you can scale up and down. It has good performance, and you are able to customize the APIs to what you want.

The support we have received from IBM has been great, they have been very responsive.

I have previously used Oracle API gateway. When comparing the two, they are both very reliable and have good APIs but IBM on-premise installation is more flexible.

The installation was difficult with the IBM toolkit.

We have an architectural roadmap to follow while doing the implementation of the solution and it took approximately three months for our teams to complete. I had some support from IBM during the process.

The price of the solution is very expensive, it can turn many customers away.

What other advice do I have?

The solution is very good and might not be suited for everyone's use case. Organizations might not need such a robust solution that is priced as high as it is. The demographics can play a role in if this solution is suitable, it depends on what others are using to make it competitive. For example, in Africa, the use of this solution is very low, they are not thinking too much about security. However, if your organization wants to take its operations to the next level then this solution might be the right choice.

I rate IBM API Connect an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
IBM API Connect
November 2022
654,658 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CTO & Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Feature-rich and stable, but it's expensive, and the automation and simplicity could be improved
  • "It has all of the tools that are needed for the specific mission."
  • "The automation and the simplicity could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for external API spotters and API.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us mainly with the corporation, ownerships with other partners.

It makes it possible to create close companies with processes to develop mutually, and digital solutions.

This is our main benefit.

What is most valuable?

The suite itself is what I find valuable. It has all of the tools that are needed for the specific mission. I have the portal, I have the run time and the security.

The solution itself is valuable.

What needs improvement?

The automation and the simplicity could be improved.

They could also have more frequent additions.

I would like to see the simplicity improved to make it very easy to deploy and to make it very easy for the regular developer, not an API special developer.

I would like the developers to be able to develop APIs and to make them more accessible.

I would also like to have a DevOps built-in process that is very fast and easy.

The monitoring suite should be ready-made and not have to tailor-make my home.

I have been working with IBM API Connect for three years.

It's a very stable solution.

Our work is very basic. We have not dealt with scaling.

It's IBM, and they take time. I am from Isreal and the support is always from abroad. It's a heaving process.

At times when we have issues and have decided not to turn to support since we know it will take time, and the effort is not as understandable, but we will have a solution at the end of it.

Technical support is an area that needs improvement.

The installation is pretty complex.

We must also take into consideration that I am referring to the on-premises installation, which by definition is much harder, and relatively speaking it is a bit complex.

It is quite an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM API Connect a seven out of ten.

Cloud Architect at a energy/utilities company with 501-1,000 employees
Analytics are helpful for identifying problem areas
  • "API Connect is a good product, and everything works fine. All the analytics are good, and it is easy to follow up. I like it in that sense. I'm more focused on following up on analytics by seeing how many API calls we are getting and where we see a lot of problems. I was working on that API level."
  • "We ran it on top of the Kubernetes cluster, so it wasn't a standalone service. In the worst-case scenario, API Connect couldn't stay online if all the containers went down. We had to restart all the services. We shut down all the containers automatically one by one."

What is our primary use case?

We used API Connect for OPIE management. About 50 developers in my company are using it.

What is most valuable?

API Connect is a good product, and everything works fine. All the analytics are good, and it is easy to follow up. I like it in that sense. I'm more focused on following up on analytics by seeing how many API calls we are getting and where we see a lot of problems. I was working on that API level.

We used API Connect for at least three years.

API Connect's stability was okay. We ran it on top of the Kubernetes cluster, so it wasn't a standalone service. In the worst-case scenario, API Connect couldn't stay online if all the containers went down. We had to restart all the services. We shut down all the containers automatically one by one. That was the only problem. It didn't happen often— maybe three or four times in two years — but it was still somewhat problematic. API Connect is not fully cloud-native in that sense.

We outsource maintenance to a local company in Finland. They built it for us and maintain it.

API Connect was highly expensive for us, but the decision to switch was made before I joined the company. It seems like the company bought it, but they didn't know how to use it. After two years, they decided to reevaluate and conduct some cost estimates.

What other advice do I have?

I rate API Connect eight out of 10. If you are using a microservice like Kubernetes, that should be tested to ensure it's working. If you are running API Connect on top of Kubernetes, you trust that you can update the Kubernetes cluster on the fly during the daytime.

In our case, every time we had to update the Kubernetes cluster that API Connect was running on, it was so much work. We could update all the other clusters with no problem. So my advice is to make sure that it is working. Otherwise, I think everything was okay.

Google
IT Architect at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Protects our backend system, but the installation could be easier
  • "One of the most valuable features of this solution is that it protects our backend system. We are exposing services to external parties and using this solution to protect the backend system, and to have a navigation in between."
  • "The installation process could use improvement. I hope that in the next release, the installation process is easier."

What is our primary use case?

We use IBM API Connect for external communication with outside partners and external companies doing business with our company.

This solution is deployed on-premises. We are currently using Version 5.0, but we are upgrading to version 10.0, which is a cloud-based solution.

What needs improvement?

My company has used this solution for at least four years.

There have been some internal issues within the product that have caused instability.

This solution is scalable.

API Connect is not straightforward to install. If you don't have a lot of dependencies in your organization, it will take a short amount of time. In our case, we took at least a month because of dependencies to other departments in the company.

For our technical team, we have approximately 10 people, a combination of managers, admins, and engineers.

We provide this solution to customers.

There aren't any additional costs for the consumer solution. There is no cost for the consumers to use the services because we don't monetize the services.

We have plans to upgrade from this solution. We are upgrading to ensure that we have a supported version late next year, in November or December, and are evaluating alternative solutions in the market.

What other advice do I have?

I rate API Connect a seven out of ten. This solution is stable, but maybe not the most modern product on the market.

Alexis Aguiluz - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technological Architect at Banco de Chile
An easy-to-use web interface, but room for improvement in customer support

What is our primary use case?

We deploy APIs to expose the BFFs of mobile apps, and this is mainly in the cloud. All mobile apps consume the APIs of your BFF. On-premise, we have APIs that expose services and mainly functionalities, such as the balance of the client or the customers or the products.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the easy-to-use web interface.

What needs improvement?

Documentation for the CLI is not very complete. Also, the support could be improved, and we have had several problems with backing up and restoring the product.

We have been using the solution for two or three years.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good.

IBM support is not available in Chile, so we must go through other countries to get a response from customer support.

I would rate the setup as a medium in difficulty.

The solution was first set up with the help of IBM, but when we moved to another environment, we followed the initial instructions given by IBM and implemented it ourselves.

We used Bamboo as a pipeline for automatic deployment of the API. The deployment took four hours.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to use, but the installation is not easy. We have a team of three architects who maintain the product. I would rate this solution as an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Core Banking Business Analyst Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Reliable, with good security, it is easy to install, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to handle our open API Connection.

Our company mainly has cooperation with institutions, and we are hoping that with this product, in the future we can create easy connections to other institutions who also implement open API.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are stability and security.

What needs improvement?

The developmental process is not quite user-friendly.

IBM should improve the customization of the API Connect.

The price could be reduced, it's expensive.

I have been using IBM API Connect since August. It is not in production, we are still in the developmental stages.

We have just finished the procurement process.

IBM API Connect is a stable solution.

It's a scalable solution.

The number of users is not relevant. It is based on the number of transactions, not users.

We plan to continue using this product in the future.

IBM technical support is good.

Previously, we didn't use another solution. This is the first API management product that we have used.

The initial setup is straightforward, and the installation is easy.

We have a team of ten technicians to deploy and maintain this solution.

It's an expensive product.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate IBM API Connect an eight out of ten.

Associate Manager at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Robust product that lets you easily create and manage your API
  • "Using API Connect allows us to quickly create proxy APIs and saves time on end-to-end testing, which lets us deliver quickly to clients."
  • "The developer portal could be easier to customize."

What is our primary use case?

API Connect is mainly used as a gateway solution to expose, secure, and manage APIs.

How has it helped my organization?

Using API Connect allows us to quickly create proxy APIs and saves time on end-to-end testing, which lets us deliver quickly to clients.

What is most valuable?

API Connect's most valuable features are API management and creation.

What needs improvement?

The developer portal could be easier to customize - as it's Drupal-based, I have to hire a Drupal developer to do it for me. I feel there should be a drag-and-drop or UI-based configuration to customize the developer portal. In the next release, I would like some support for file uploads and MQ integration.

I've been using API Connect for six years.

The newer versions, from 2018 forwards, are quite stable.

API Connect is scalable because it's completely containerized.

IBM's technical support is very good.

The initial setup was straightforward, and deployment took two days.

I did the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that if you want stability and security, you should go for API Connect. It's a very robust product that lets you easily create and manage your API. I would rate API Connect as nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Download our free IBM API Connect Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022