Daniel Krivda - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Provides us with an understanding of security bugs and security holes in our software
  • "You can easily integrate it with Azure DevOps. This is an added value because we work with Azure DevOps. Veracode is natively supported and we don't have to work with APIs."
  • "Third-party library scanning would be very useful to have. When I was researching this a year ago, there was not a third-party library scan available. This would be a nice feature to have because we are now running through some assessments and finding out which tool can do it since this information needs to be captured. Since Veracode is a security solution, this should be related."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for static scans. It is mandatory in our company for every sort of project.

Veracode provides the organization an understanding of security bugs and security holes in our software, finding out if the software is production-ready. It is used as gate management, so we can have a fast understanding if the software is suitable for deployment and production.

My job is to help projects by getting the data integrated in Veracode. I don't own the code or develop code. In this area, I am a little bit like an integration specialist.

We use Azure and AWS, though AWS is relatively fresh as we are now just starting to define guidelines and how the architecture will look. Eventually, within a half year to a year, we would like to have deployments there. I am not sure if dynamic scanning is possible in AWS Cloud. If so, that would be just great.

How has it helped my organization?

The possibility to integrate Azure is very valuable because you can have every build integrated into the content integration pipeline. So, you can have every build scanned and determine when a new bug was introduced. Thus, you can keep great track of your code's security.

What is most valuable?

You can easily integrate it with Azure DevOps. This is an added value because we work with Azure DevOps. Veracode is natively supported and we don't have to work with APIs.

What needs improvement?

Third-party library scanning would be very useful to have. When I was researching this a year ago, there was not a third-party library scan available. This would be a nice feature to have because we are now running through some assessments and finding out which tool can do it since this information needs to be captured. Since Veracode is a security solution, this should be related.

I would recommend that they keep working on the integrations. For Azure DevOps, the integration is great. I am not sure what the integration possibilities are for the Google platform or AWS, but I would suggest every other platform should have this easy and great integration. It takes a lot of time for companies, so this feature is a big plus.

Veracode
February 2024
Learn what your peers think about Veracode. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2024.
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using it for about three years.

There have been no issues at all. There has been no downtime registered.

I worked with the technical support to integrate some things. One of our private cloud providers only had old routers. It was possible only to open network connections to IP addresses, while Veracode only provided the URL in their guide. So, I asked the technical support if it was possible to provide some fixed URLs that we could give our provider since it is unfortunately against the concept of the cloud to provide the IP addresses that work just for some time. The technical support's response was within a day, and it was prompt and clear. Also, all their reasoning made sense so the support was very good. I would rate the technical support as 10 out of 10.

Positive

We also use SonarCloud, which is a code quality tool. We use both of them because both these platforms are good in some areas. While the Veracode is very good at finding security-related issues, the SonarQube Sonar suite is very good at determining code quality. Also, when I was looking into the topic, the SonarQube team answered that there is no point for them to go further into code security since there are already great competitors who have years of experience and development behind them, specifically mentioning Veracode as masters in their field. That is the reason why we use both solutions: We benefit from using them both. These solutions compliment each other.

I evaluated WhiteSource Bolt specifically for third-party library scanning, but I did not have a lot of time to create a proper PoC. I had a call with WhiteSource and told them that I would like to do a PoC, but I was not very satisfied with their support. It was like, "Just try the free solution then contact us again." However, the free solution didn't provide me enough things to make a decision. So, I just put it off until sometime possibly in the future. If Veracode offered third-party scanning, then we wouldn't need WhiteSource Bolt at all.

What other advice do I have?

If you have Azure DevOps and would like to understand your code and how secure it is, then there are not a lot of better options. Also, there are not many choices in this area at the moment.

Once your code is scanned by the static scan of Veracode, you get some evaluation scores based on some criteria. For the management, when it is above a certain number, it is fine, but when it is built below, then it is no-go for production. Even though there is a possibility to create a sandbox environment for projects, they don't get it. That is understandable to me. I try to explain to them that there are no issues if you are working in a development environment and you get difficult scans. It is fine then because you can create a sandbox environment, which will not screw up or make the production releases worse because it is in a separate bucket.

We are happy using the solution. I would rate it as nine out of 10.

Microsoft Azure
Vikas Agrawal - PeerSpot reviewer
DevOps Lead at HealthEdge Software, Inc.
We have fewer vulnerabilities and bugs, and we get security information daily
  • "The SCA, agent-based analysis, is valuable. SAST and DAST take time, while this is quite fast. It gives the results very quickly. We have implemented it into our CI/CD pipeline."
  • "We connected with Veracode's support a couple of times, and we got a different answer each time."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veracode for SAST and SCA. We are moving towards dynamic analysis as well. We use it now to scan our artifacts and reports, and very soon we are going to use the Veracode plugin for our IDE to have immediate results for security analysis purposes.

How has it helped my organization?

Before integrating Veracode, we were getting so many security vulnerabilities on higher branches. We integrated it to fix that. It prevents vulnerable code from going into production. We have fewer vulnerabilities and bugs.

We are getting the security vulnerability results on a day-to-day basis. Our pipeline is running every hour, and we are getting early feedback, giving us a shift-left approach. On a daily basis, we are able to rectify issues rather than find them in production or pre-production.

It provides visibility into application status at every phase of development. We have our initial feature branch, or low-level branch, and then we commit. The pipeline is running, so we will know about things immediately. This is quite valuable for us.

What is most valuable?

Another aspect that is quite good is the policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. Initially, we were using freeware tools, but we are quite impressed with how Veracode gives the most detailed and latest vulnerability and security information.

I have been using Veracode for almost a year.

It's a stable solution. There are no problems. The stability is a seven or eight out of 10.

We connected with Veracode's support a couple of times, and we got a different answer each time.

Neutral

We used to use Snyk and other tools. The switch to Veracode was an enterprise-level discussion, and I was not involved.

It took some time to see the benefits, around six to eight months.

What other advice do I have?

Although Veracode doesn't scan source code, only binary code, I'm not concerned because we can scan the source code with an SCR tool.

Veracode hasn't yet helped our developers save time. Their development time has increased because, initially, we were only taking the security and vulnerability issues on the higher branches. Now it is on lower branches as well, so the development time has increased. In the local branches, if a report indicates something has not passed, we are not allowing them to merge their code into higher branches.

We have it deployed in a multi-cloud and hybrid environment. We are using AWS, Azure, and VMware vSphere.

Overall, I would recommend Veracode. It is quite helpful.

Veracode
February 2024
757,198 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammed Shabreen - PeerSpot reviewer
CTO at RIZEK
Does good analysis and increases our security level, but needs to be improved from the usability and pricing perspective
  • "It is a good product for creating secure software. The static code analysis is pretty good and useful."
  • "From the usability perspective, it is not up to date with the latest trends. It looks very old. Tools such as Datadog, New Relic, or infrastructure security tools, such as AWS Cloud, seem very user-friendly. They are completely web-based, and you can navigate through them pretty quickly, whereas Veracode is very rigid. It is like an old-school enterprise application. It does the job, but they need to invest a little more on the usability front."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for code analysis to see if there are any vulnerabilities in the code. I'm heading a startup for this, and I have a development team of about 14 people. They upload the codebase to Veracode, run an analysis, and take the results. If there are any vulnerabilities, they fix them.

How has it helped my organization?

It reduces security vulnerabilities and increases our security level. It has been helpful in reducing our security debt.

Having a centralized view for our developers and security professionals is very important. If there is anything in the cloud or infrastructure, we need to know proactively. Otherwise, we wouldn't know when there is a security compromise. So, we have to be prepared so that if something happens, we know where to go and stop it. It is not always about fixing and making your code zero percent vulnerable. That doesn't happen generally, but you need to know the areas where something can go wrong. If those areas are your critical systems or critical data security parts, you can act accordingly and quickly.

The centralized view has improved the visibility into the status of our application code. This visibility is very important because we need to know the condition or status of our codebase.

Scanning with the solution has increased our fix rate, but I don't have the metrics. It has also helped to increase the productivity of our security and development teams.

What is most valuable?

It is a good product for creating secure software. The static code analysis is pretty good and useful. The mitigation recommendations provided by the scanning engine are also pretty good.

What needs improvement?

From the pricing perspective, it is not very convenient for startup organizations. They should have options to onboard it for the startup ecosystem quickly and affordably.

There should also be strengthening of the developer community.

I have been using this solution for almost a year.

I didn't find any errors. It is available and stable. I didn't have any issues with it.

Its flexibility is very less. It is a very rigid application. Currently, we have six users of this solution in our organization.

I interacted with them once. They were very good. They were very friendly and supportive. I would rate them a seven out of ten.

Neutral

We didn't use a different solution previously. The company started just a year ago.

For enterprises, Veracode has done a fairly good job, but its pricing is not suitable for startups. The microservice distributed architecture for a startup is very small. I had to do a lot of discussions on the pricing initially. I previously worked in an enterprise organization where I used Veracode, and that's how I got to know about Veracode, but that was a big organization with more than a thousand employees. So, the cost is very different for them because the size of the application is different. Its pricing makes sense there, but when we try to onboard this solution for the startup ecosystem, pricing is not friendly. Because I knew the product and I knew its value, I onboarded it, but I don't think any other startup at our scale will onboard it.

Its pricing should be based on the size of the application or organization. For a startup organization, they can provide credit-based pricing. They don't need to reduce the price. AWS, Google, and other vendors do the same where they don't reduce the price, but they give credits. I have been in the industry for 15 years, and I have seen that people don't like to change technologies for many reasons. For the first year or the first 18 months, customers can explore the product completely free. If the first year is free and you are onboarded, you would stay with it if it does the job. If the product is doing its job and adding security value, there is no reason to change it in the second year, and you are also ready to pay because, in the first year, you have tested that it is working fine. A company that has used it for the first year would definitely need it in the second year because they keep adding code to the codebase. Another option is that, like Cloudflare, they provide a very slashed rate. Cloudflare onboards everyone at a very cheap price, but when you start exploring the actual use cases, they start adding.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good product, and you should consider it, but it can be elevated more for startup culture. It should be more pricing-friendly and user-friendly. There should also be strengthening of the developer community.

We are only doing code analysis with it. For manual penetration testing, we have to contact an entity.

It hasn't reduced our scan time. It also hasn't helped our organization with certification and audits. We're a small startup, and at this time, we don't have audits, etc. We might do that later.

I would rate this product a six out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Junior Developer Intern at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Provides extraordinary support, scalable, stable, and has automatic expiration and renewal features
  • "What I found most valuable in Veracode is that it gives me a part-by-part report of the entire EAR file and lets me set up the application for a limited time. Once that expires, Veracode allows you to automatically renew it, which is one of the features I find remarkable in Veracode."
  • "An area for improvement I found in Veracode is the connectivity because currently, my company uses a plugin for the dev-ops cloud-based connectivity. A pretty helpful feature would be if Veracode gives a direct code for connecting to the Oracle server directly and authenticating it via a unique server."

What is our primary use case?

My use case for Veracode is for a front-end application, specifically an agent compensation calculation engine. That application is deployed through an EAR file, and then Veracode scans the EAR file and gives me the scan report to help me change and improve the file for future deployments.

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in Veracode is that it gives me a part-by-part report of the entire EAR file and lets me set up the application for a limited time. For example, I'm running an application via the dev ops pipeline. Hence, I need to create a pipeline application and a sandbox to connect with Veracode and then add my application. When you create a sandbox, you can create it full-time or for a limited time, so I created it for a limited time. Once that expires, Veracode allows you to automatically renew it, which is one of the features I find remarkable in Veracode.

I also like that for each integration in Veracode, there's documentation.

I also find the Veracode support team extraordinary because the team goes above and beyond to ensure you get the best experience.

I find Veracode essential in preventing vulnerable code from going into production because if there's a vulnerability, the solution finds it. For example, my code has many JavaScript front-end and EAR files with some vulnerabilities. Right now, I'm deploying my code, but in the future, I may have to improve it and change it to ensure the servers are secure, so in that way, Veracode becomes more important for the industry today.

Policy reporting in Veracode is good in terms of ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations. I like that the solution is more flexible when working with applications, mainly because my organization has a good firewall. Veracode is flexible and allows the organization to connect to the firewall in various ways. The Veracode policy is flexible and has an entire page and record that connects with my application, industry, company, and server in different ways. It does not disturb my policies so that I can get my application to work.

The false positive rate for Veracode is about seventy-thirty because it gives the most accurate report. For example, my organization depends on the Veracode analysis to ensure the code is on point, so the organization is building the next BI based on the Veracode analysis.

Veracode has also helped my organization save time because, without the report, the development team would spend a lot of time figuring out what is wrong and why the application is vulnerable. Veracode points out what is happening and why the file size must be reduced, so it helps reduce mistakes in terms of time.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement I found in Veracode is the connectivity because currently, my company uses a plugin for the dev-ops cloud-based connectivity. A pretty helpful feature would be if Veracode gives a direct code for connecting to the Oracle server directly and authenticating it via a unique server. Currently, my organization has to find a roundabout for that and then needs to build a separate pipeline and then connect that pipeline for Veracode to start.

I've been using Veracode for the past two months.

Veracode has always been stable. It has good stability.

I found Veracode scalable because it supports a variety of platforms. Though the support for other platforms is less, Veracode has been incorporating more support over time and offering other solutions as well.

If you're unable to set up the solution, the Veracode team has a consultation call to help you set up the solution. The team would even raise set-up-related issues with the Veracode engineering team, which was how I reached Veracode Technical Support, which was a good experience.

I found Veracode Support extraordinary. I've been having an issue for the past month, and the team reached out to me and has been working with me for the past month, giving me various solutions to figure out how to solve the issue. It turns out it was a firewall issue, and I just had to go to the back-end and allow the back-end application, and now it is working fine.

The Veracode Support team was helpful and escalated my situation from level one to level two to level three, and finally, had the appropriate team reach out to me based on my issue. Then, within the span of two weeks, the team finally figured out the issue I was facing and gave me the final results and how I could fix it, so I found support good, fast, and responsive.

Overall, I had a pleasant experience with Veracode Support, so I rate support as eight out of ten.

Positive

I didn't use a previous solution before Veracode.

I wasn't involved in the initial deployment of Veracode.

I have no information on the pricing or licensing cost for Veracode.

What other advice do I have?

I've not used the Software Bill of Materials in Veracode.

I'm unsure how the false positive rate affects developer confidence in Veracode on fixing vulnerabilities because I'm more of a DevOps user and don't work on development but automation.

I'm also unsure of the effect of Veracode on my organization's ability to fix flaws because I've not used it directly to fix any flaws. I report to the dev team, who then takes the report and fixes the flaws accordingly.

I'm unsure of the impact Veracode had on the overall security posture of my organization, as I didn't use it for that.

In my organization, Veracode has a hybrid cloud deployment.

The solution doesn't require any maintenance.

My rating for Veracode, overall, is eight out of ten.

What I'd tell others looking into buying the solution is that as far as DevOps is concerned, Veracode is a must-have. It's been helpful for my organization DevOps-wise, though I have no information on other Veracode offerings. I recommend that others buy Veracode.

My organization has a business relationship with Veracode. It's a Veracode partner.

Hybrid Cloud

Other
Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner
Satheesh Bojedla - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior engineer at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
A scalable solution that supports the automation of the scanning processes
  • "I contacted the solution's technical support during the automation part, and it went well, after which I never faced any issues."
  • "If you schedule two parallel scans under the same project, one of them will be a failure."

What is our primary use case?

My company uses Veracode Static Analysis for scanning purposes and static analysis. I am a DevOps engineer configuring automation for multiple teams in our company using Veracode Static Analysis. Our company uses the product to identify vulnerabilities in third-party libraries that our teams use internally to secure our products before moving the product outside of our company. The aforementioned features of the solution are used mostly in our company. Most of the teams within my organization use Veracode's static analysis part. My company did not procure the license for Veracode Dynamic Analysis.

How has it helped my organization?

From the market, my company could identify some of the libraries that were outdated and had severe vulnerabilities. Our company wishes to secure its products before moving out for production, for which we find Veracode helpful. Our company sees value in Veracode Static Analysis.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of the solution is Veracode's library, which supports the automation of Veracode's scanning process.

The major benefit of Veracode Static Analysis is that you can schedule a scan on demand. We found the delta approach in scanning to be super quick in terms of returning results in our company, even though we had to make uploads of certain things, but it would be longer if the size of the scanning part were huge, making it one of the drawbacks.

What needs improvement?

If Veracode develops a plugin for multiple orchestration tools, it will be easy for us to use the product in our company.

If you schedule two parallel scans under the same project, one of them will be a failure. It would be good if Veracode could provide two different site codes since if another code scan gets triggered while the scanning for one code is going on, the newly triggered code scan fails, stating that there is already a scanning process in progress. If Veracode can handle a newly triggered second code scan in their sequence instead of making it fail and take it up later or on a wait so that they can trigger it after the first code scan gets completed, then it would be a nice improvement. There is no queuing mechanism for scanning right now.

Module selection is manual. If somebody adds a new module, it is not detected automatically, and moreover, it ignores that module and moves forward. You have to go and include that module manually, so if it is made dynamic in the future, it will be nice.

I have been using Veracode Static Analysis for two years. Almost six years ago, I used Veracode Static Analysis for a year. In total, I have three years of experience with Veracode Static Analysis. My company procured the solution, so I am an end user.

It is a stable solution. The speed of the solution was good in the past, and they have worked constantly to improve the speed.

It is a scalable solution.

Though Veracode Static Analysis is primarily available in the USA, we scan our company from multiple locations. The solution may have a huge number of users, but our company supports 30 projects with the help of the solution, which includes scanning for 30 microservices. I am unsure of the actual numbers regarding the solution's use since it is handled by someone else in my company.

My company used Code Insight, a very similar solution to Veracode Static Analysis, but not the same.

Code Insight scanned even first-party libraries, which includes what we used to develop in our company.

Code Insight's vulnerabilities in the database completely differed from Veracode Static Analysis, but I can't recollect where it differs. If both Veracode Static Analysis and Code Insight were the same, we would not have used both in our company, so there is a difference between them. Veracode wasn't of any support when it came to dynamic scans in the past, though Veracode has recently started to support it, which I haven't used yet. I don't see any drawbacks with Veracode, so I am satisfied with whatever Veracode offers.

The solution is deployed on the cloud.

Depending on the number of users, my company makes payments toward the solution's licensing costs.

What other advice do I have?

Veracode handles the maintenance part of the solution. Veracode's side may be down at times for maintenance.

I recommend Veracode Static Analysis to those planning to use it, but the scans should not be carried out daily since it can get too costly. I recommend not doing the frequent scans to save on the costs.

I rate the overall solution an eight out of ten.

Oluseyi Osifalujo - PeerSpot reviewer
Executive Director at Precise Financial Systems Limited
Has great static scanning and has had a significant impact on our organization's ability to address flaws
  • "The static scan is the most valuable feature."
  • "Veracode is costly, and there is potential for improvement in its pricing."

What is our primary use case?

We use Veracode to ensure our solutions meet the security standards in the financial industry in Nigeria.

How has it helped my organization?

Veracode does an excellent job to prevent vulnerable code from entering production.

Veracode ensures that the products we create for our clients are free of any code-related issues. This keeps them satisfied with our service and encourages them to continue doing business with us.

Veracode provides peace of mind and increases confidence in our code within the market. We realized the benefits within a few months.

At first, we experienced a high number of false positives, but the Veracode team provided guidance that enabled us to significantly reduce the count.

Initially, our developers were frustrated due to the high false positive rate. However, as we managed to reduce the number of false positives and the developers recognized that these were not actual issues, their morale improved, and their acceptance of the use of Veracode increased.

The false positive rate of the static analysis reduced the time that we spend on different operations.

Veracode has had a significant impact on our organization's ability to address flaws. The solution is capable of detecting issues and providing suggestions that assist us in rectifying problems within the code.

Veracode helps our developers save time. We review the recommendations provided by the solution, adhere to our best practices, and then proceed to implement these suggestions. In cases where we might have had three lines of code, the solution is capable of reducing that to one or two lines. I would estimate that Veracode has decreased our developer time by 40 percent.

Veracode enables us to enhance our security posture by applying the knowledge we acquire through Veracode to all our new projects. Additionally, we can revisit previous projects to implement upgrades and add features, thereby enhancing their security.

Veracode helps to decrease our DevSecOps costs by saving our developers' time and aiding in the production of error-free code.

What is most valuable?

The static scan is the most valuable feature. We are also currently evaluating the Dynamic scan.

What needs improvement?

Veracode is costly, and there is potential for improvement in its pricing. In our region of the world, it is challenging to attract a significant number of sign-ups due to its unaffordability.

I have been using Veracode for one year.

Veracode is stable.

Based on the limited interaction we've had with technical support, I am satisfied with their service.

Positive

We used a tool in the past that was free, but we couldn't depend on the quality of the scans it provided in the free version.

The cost of Veracode is high.

There comes a point when we must make a decision between cost and quality, and we chose to prioritize quality by selecting Veracode. The confidence that Veracode instills in both our developers and clients justifies the associated cost.

We have four solution licenses for the static analysis scans.

We also evaluated one of Veracode's competitors. After conversing with the sales and technical teams of both solutions, we concluded that Veracode was the best choice for us.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Veracode an eight out of ten.

We are currently in the process of investigating Veracode's capability to offer insight into the status of applications at each stage of development.

Ivo Dias - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Engineer at M3Corp
Reseller
Helps with shift-left, saving on remediation costs by finding issues earlier, keeping them out of production
  • "To me, the principal feature is the CLI (command-line interface) because I put together a lot of implementations using it. Another important aspect is the low false-positive rate because the solution is very configurable. It is as low as 1 percent and that is a huge difference compared to competitors."
  • "In the last month or so, I had a problem with the APIs when doing some implementations. The Veracode support team could be more specific and give me more examples. They shouldn't just copy the URL for a doc and send it to me."

What is our primary use case?

I currently work for a Veracode distributor here in Brazil. I work in both presales and post-sales, and I do implementations as well.

How has it helped my organization?

We talk a lot about shift-left and this is very important because, when you find problems near the beginning of the process, it costs less to resolve them. In addition, Veracode provides information on how to handle issues and that saves time for the developers. It's also good for a company's image because the problems are found before deployment to production.

When it comes to developer confidence, the low false-positive rate is very important. If they use a tool with a lot of false positives, they won't believe the reports they get. And that's important because if the teams don't like a tool, they won't use it. Also, we don't have a tool in Veracode for tuning policies because it is an automated process. In most cases, we don't have many problems that require tuning. We just review the model and usually find it's fine.

What is most valuable?

To me, the principal feature is the CLI (command-line interface) because I put together a lot of implementations using it. Another important aspect is the low false-positive rate because the solution is very configurable. It is as low as 1 percent and that is a huge difference compared to competitors.

And Veracode's ability to prevent vulnerable code from going into production is the main selling point that we talk about with our customers. It is one of the most important features.

I have also used the Software Bill of Materials (SBOM) feature in some implementations. It's important because in modern software development, people always use third-party components but they don't necessarily see the problems that they may contain. If you don't use the SBOM tool, you won't know the status of all these third-party pieces. And it's very easy to create a report using this feature because it is made in the Veracode portal with a graphical interface or, in the CLI, it's just one line of code.

Another important factor is the policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards. We generally work with big companies in Brazil and, for them, maintaining the required standards is imperative. The policies can help achieve those standards.

We can also involve Veracode at every stage of the development process. It has a lot of tools to help with security.

Veracode has a new tool to automate the fixing of flaws, but we don't use it. Generally, the orientation that Veracode provides for resolving problems is good and developers can use it to handle the problems and make things work.

What needs improvement?

In the last month or so, I had a problem with the APIs when doing some implementations. The Veracode support team could be more specific and give me more examples. They shouldn't just copy the URL for a doc and send it to me. I am a distributor and a Veracode solutions expert, so if I create a ticket that means I have read the documentation. It would be better if they sent me more examples instead.

I have been using Veracode for two and a half years.

It has great stability. It uses AWS and I don't recall any downtime.

The license provides for scalability, so it's just a matter of connecting more users. We don't need to think about it, which is good.

Veracode is a SaaS solution. We just connect it to the customer's environment. It's very simple. We have plugins for the most popular CI/CD tools and, for other tools, it's one or two lines of code to implement. Generally, we just need one person who has edit access to the pipeline. So one or two people are sufficient to implement it.

There is no maintenance of the solution because it's SaaS.

The commercial guys take care of the pricing, it's not something I'm involved in. But the licensing is simple. The SAST product has some rules that some customers have found a little confusing, but overall, the licensing is simple.

What other advice do I have?

The impact that Veracode has on security posture depends on the size of the company. Usually, large companies have standards in place, and that makes code development more secure than it is in small companies. For small companies, Veracode can really make a huge improvement to the SDLC.

Disclosure: PeerSpot contacted the reviewer to collect the review and to validate authenticity. The reviewer was referred by the vendor, but the review is not subject to editing or approval by the vendor. The reviewer's company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Reseller
Vice President of Engineering at Avant Assessment
Helps us capture security vulnerabilities that we would not catch otherwise
  • "The Security Labs [is] where I have the developers training and constantly improving their security, and remembering their security techniques. That way, they are more proactive and make sure things are correct. They're faster because they're doing it in the first place."
  • "There are many times when their product goes to check my code and it dies, and I don't know why. I've contacted support and they're not really helpful with this particular problem. I go to the logs and I look at what I can but I can't tell why the check process has essentially just died in the middle of checking."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for security validation. As a company, we need to make sure that our code is secure. Not only do we need and want to do this for ourselves, but we also need to do it because of our security obligations to our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helping us capture security vulnerabilities that we would not catch otherwise.

When it comes to our ability to fix flaws, Veracode has given us more visibility into certain flaws that could show up, flaws that can be subtle and not seen in the code. For example, though it was not obvious, there was a case where a developer naively added the authentication into the code, which we're not supposed to do, obviously. It was not seen by our review process, and Veracode caught it and we were able to eliminate it.

It has also helped us to save time. The example, and where I see the most benefits of that, is in the Security Labs, where I have the developers training and constantly improving their security, and remembering their security techniques. That way, they are more proactive and make sure things are correct. They're faster because they're doing it in the first place.

Overall, in terms of our security posture, Veracode has made us more reliable. We're finding those flaws and our clients trust us more because of it.

And when considering whether it has reduced the cost of development, security, and operations for us, the short answer is no. But the long answer is yes. It clearly has added more procedures in place, which we needed to have, and that has definitely increased the cost of development. But in the long-term, how much have we saved from the intangible of a flaw not being exposed?

What is most valuable?

The Security Labs feature, in particular, is valuable, and I have been using the static code analysis as well.

What needs improvement?

I do have two pet peeves with the platform.

1. The user interface is slow as a dog; really slow. You go to any modern interface and it's a lot more snappy. Even though I understand a lot of what they're doing and why it might be slow, it is really slow. You click on something and it takes two to three seconds. That doesn't sound long, but it just feels super clunky.
  2. There are many times when their product goes to check my code and it dies, and I don't know why. I've contacted support and they're not really helpful with this particular problem. I go to the logs and I look at what I can but I can't tell why the check process has essentially just died in the middle of checking.

Other than those two complaints, I still find it very strong and powerful.

In terms of additional features, the big one I would like to see is that, right now, I have to click through too many things to get to the triage report, which is the main thing I want to see for anything. I have to click through this one screen that doesn't give me any information and I really just want to get to the mitigation review screen quickly. Anything that would save me going through clicks and four or five different screens, because the interface is slow, would be fantastic. I want to get to that mitigation screen because the summary screens are not all that interesting to me. I need to know, "Is this mitigated? Is it not?" and get it checked off and reviewed.

I've been using Veracode for two years.

It has been a very stable product. I don't think the issues that we're having are related to its stability.

The scalability is "medium" because one of the things I've been having to do now is scale out more of the microservices by tier so that I can verify that the code is correct per tier. For me to scale up like that seems to be taking a lot of effort. I might be doing something wrong. Maybe it could be solved in a different way. But the scalability is average. On a scale of one to 10, I would put it at about five.

We do have plans to use more of Veracode. We are expanding into the SCA, where it is scanning the containers, and we've also just contracted with Veracode to do penetration testing.

The one time I had to use their technical support for the bug where a code check dies, I found them a little off-putting. They have never really fully answered the question. I got tired of asking because they didn't understand what I was saying.

During installation, their support was fantastic, a 10 out of 10. But in dealing with this one issue, I would give them a two.

Neutral

We haven't used another solution. Veracode is the first solution of this kind that we have worked with.

The initial deployment was pretty straightforward. We ran into some issues, but honestly, nothing out of the ordinary. I would definitely put it toward the easy side. I found the documentation to be appropriate.

The deployment time was days.

We are using Jenkins as our CI/CD. We're using Amazon Cloud K8 deployments.

We integrated it in two different ways. The original way was with AWS CodePipeline. For that, we used Veracode's Docker service. Once we had it hooked up and could send the file, that was pretty easy to use. The second way is we now actually use Jenkins for our code build. We do the same thing although we're going to change to the Jenkins plugin here shortly. But it was still the same, with the ability to use Docker to send the file to Veracode. Once we wrote it, it was really easy, which is why we did it that way on Jenkins. Through both of them, the implementations worked easily.

From the time of deployment, we saw the benefits within one to two months, which was fairly immediate.

There is maintenance required because, sometimes, the pipelines for our code review essentially stop. I have to go and check that, as I mentioned earlier. The second piece of maintenance is that if there are any flaws or false positives, you have to mitigate those results. We have two people involved in the maintenance.

I did the original Amazon CodePipeline implementation by myself and got it hooked up. As we went to more complex things, with Jenkins, that was done through an integrator DevOps team. On our side, it was just me involved.

I'm sure we have seen ROI, but I do not have a direct metric on it. There are a lot of intangibles in that. For example, what would be the cost of a particular flaw that we caught with Veracode, if it had gone live?

When I looked at the pricing, it was definitely a value. In terms of the service and what it's checking, the cost was very reasonable, particularly because we could have multiple code bases as part of a project.

Make sure that you're comparing apples to apples if you're concerned about the price of Veracode versus what you're reviewing. Some of the stuff that Veracode does and applies is not the same for other services. When I really compared apples to apples, I found Veracode to be rightly priced.

There were no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees, although we just signed up for a couple of other products.

We looked at other solutions but one of the big things that made a huge difference with Veracode had to do with pricing. Because we're moving more and more toward a microservices architecture, and we have about six code bases that make up our entire product, they made it clear that as long as something was a part of our product, it was the same price. That was amazing to us because competitors charged per code base. It was definitely a more economical solution and the one that made more sense, and is more in line, with our product. That really simplified the thought process for us and was a huge competitive advantage.

What other advice do I have?

Veracode is a valuable tool to have in the toolbox to prevent vulnerable code from going into production. Veracode's false positive rate has been very good. It's reasonable. False positives take more time, but I have not noticed that time to be a significant burden. Its policy reporting for ensuring compliance with industry standards and regulations is adequate.

In terms of having visibility into application status at every phase of deployment, Veracode doesn't provide that. It doesn't control the whole deployment cycle, so there's no way it can report on all of it.

The platform's interfaces look slightly antiquated but don't let that stop you from using it, because it has been a good solution for us.

The biggest lesson I have learned using it is that it's really nice to have these security checks in a single place in your code pipeline. We have multiple security companies at this point, but having the code review and product review security in one place helps us know that that part is "containerized." Having everything dealing with code review in one place is nice.

Download our free Veracode Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: February 2024