IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Edgard Ribeiro - PeerSpot reviewer
Support Analyst at EDXINFO
Great two-factor authentication with a good interface and backup
  • "The backup service, which was released recently, and that we are already using, is wonderful."
  • "We have only command lines for a management application to remove sites. The solution needs a proper GUI."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to host virtual machines, such as: SQL Server Database, Active directory domain services, web services, general cloud applications, and some virtual machines or containers for development and testing purpose. Specially the preference for containers is due to the easly development when the only basic operational system is required istead of fully hardware virtualization (kvm).We heavly use replication resource to assign some garantine to critical virtual machines wich could run eventually on other sites or hosts, in case of broken internet links, hardware issues or even hacker attacks (many thanks to ZFS working with PVE-ZSync feature that allow planning a standback period of retention snapshots, quickly failover and fallback of virtual machine storage)

How has it helped my organization?

It is high availability resources, replication and live-migration (on cluster envirioment). We don't have significant problems with hardware issue or maintenance schedule, because with ZFS, Cephs or other shared storage incorporated in Proxmox technology, it´s possible to migrate virtual machines to other hosts with almost zero downtime.

What is most valuable?

1) The two-factor authentication: for security reasons! 2) PVE-Zsync: wich allows replication outside clusters, with snapshot retention for quickly failover and failback (by incremental syncs) 3) Large documentation and "How-To" on the wiki page; 4) Many usefull integration: APIs, Active Directory; 5) ACLS, Groups e User Managment: Allows to set and customize permissions. 6) Proxmox Backup Server: Assertive Incrememtal Backup Solution for realible local backups or remote with encryption support! That's perfect.7) Built on Debian based Kernel, very stable distro

What needs improvement?

1) PVE-Zsync GUI implementation - This is a very important tool, it could delivery the more advantage in comparision to Xen Orchestra and Microsoft Virtual Machine Replica Service. 2) Central Cluster Administration: The possibility to manage many clusters sites in "one only page" instead of oppening many browsers tabs! IT Cloud companies as us, usually need to access diferent clusters sites, I think it's good idea to centralize the administration GUI for companies that own two or more cluster sites! 3) In connection with my suggestion number 2, the possibility to create a "farm cluster". In few words, the possibility to move virtual machines (live or not) among diferents clusters sites separated by WAN links. Actually, PVE Cluster is realible on local links, due to multicast or udp rings, but in some scenarios when a entire cluster site needs to be put offline (eg, for maintenance or internet issues), a virtua machine migration to other cluster that belongs to the same "farm" but in other region will increase the "value" of Proxmox simular to Microsoft Azure Site Recovery ou Amazon. That will make my evaluation increase from 8 to 9 or even 10!
Proxmox VE
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Since 2014

The technical support is the very complete. I don't  have a subscription, because the support that we need for our applications and solution are available on the Proxmox Wiki However, for big companies we recomend the Proxmox subscription for getting a first class support and best pratices.

Microsoft Hyper-V on situation thats requires Outside Migration (see my comment 3 on the question: what areas could the product or service be improved)

The solution is very easy to set up and implement. It's not complex. We can put a single host or even a Cluster only line in less than one hour!

Not yet!

Proxmox delivery more cost X Benefits in comparision to VMWare and Citrix Xen. It could be improved in future for more benefits in comparison to XCP-NG and  Microsoft Hyper-V

Citrix Xen-Server and XCP-NG

Principal Chief Executive Officer at Sebitech
Open source, easy to install, and works well with Linux
  • "The solution is open source and free to use."
  • "The availability of the solution could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Proxmox for training in university. I use its virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The availability of the platform is okay.

If we compare Proxmox with VMware, VMware provides an environment with a client. And Proxmox provides us an environment with a web client. Most important things for me. And Proxmox uses a middle person with an improviser.

Some items that we use within this solution are not available in other virtual environments.

The solution works well with Linux based systems.

There's a SPICE protocol that's very useful in managing aspects of Proxmox.

The product is pretty easy to install.

The solution is open source and free to use.

What needs improvement?

The availability of the solution could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for about three years or so.

Sometimes I see the stability can cause little problems. I've noticed that, when I use, I merge two, three, or four virtual machines, and when I merge all of these machines at the same time, we have some running slowly. Even if I use the virtual environment I see things running slowly sometimes.

The scalability is okay. If a company wants to scale it, they can.

I've rarely contacted technical support. I have a pretty good competence with Proxmox at this point in time.

We also use VMware or sometimes Citrix as well. We use a variety of virtual environments and compare them. I use them as learning devices for my students.

If you look at the overall market, VMware is the best in terms of offering and popularity, however, I personally prefer Proxmox and will continue to use it and advocate for it.

The installation is very easy. It's straightforward. It's not complex. This is due to the fact that it's an environment that depends on Linux with the version of the kernel in Linux.

When we install it the environment is so easy, we just have to put the image of the system and we choose the mode of installation. It's quite simple.

When we are in the environment, we just need to create an instance of a VM.

I use the open-source version of the solution. We build on a general public license. We don't pay for using the service. For us, as an open-source version, it's free. I'm not sure if there are other versions that cost more and what the pricing is. I've never looked into it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user of the solution. I don't have a business relationship with Proxmox. I use the product in my classroom as a learning aid.

I'd recommend the solution. It's been an invaluable learning resource for myself and my students. It works well and shows off the potential of virtual environments. I use it often for my classes and with my students as a teaching device.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at an eight. I would only give VMware a higher rating. It's definitely at the top of my list in terms of technology in this area.

Proxmox VE
June 2022
610,812 professionals have used our research since 2012.
IT Manager at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Switched from Citrix XEN and EMC VMWare: No downtime when node needs service but web interface could be simplified

What is our primary use case?

It is implemented in several Private Cloud Data Centers, from 5 to 16 nodes, from 256 GB RAM to 1 TB RAM, all using Supermicro Systems, running SQL servers, Application Servers ( SAP, Prothevs and some tailored Apps developed in house ) VDI and Files Repositories . all smooth and trouble free .

How has it helped my organization?

With live migration, there is no downtime when any node needs service or upgrades. Plus, when I need more memory, I just allocate it; more disk space? same. It is possible to administer almost anything remotely, now it takes months till a customer needs a weekend visit to service something, before Proxmox, it used to happens once a month!

What is most valuable?

Live migration :

Is simplifies the daily work, and reduces the downtime to nearly 0 .

Clonning and Snapshots :

Verry useful for development testing and backup .

Histogram about i/o, memory, CPU and network usage :

Helps to find the issue when some VM are running in some kind of bottleneck .

What needs improvement?

Mostly simplify web interface, simple things like the use of right mouse button to change VM attributes, make it more intuitive, but it is just cosmetic improvements, the core functions are all there.

Version 6.x improved the support for Containers to the PRO level .

re than 10 years, since version 1.6 all the way to version 6.2

Never had any issue with stability, even in the very earliest stages of development...

Not for now, the 16 nodes per cluster limit have been removed in the 5.x release !

Customer Service: OK, in fact the little we've used it, the site documentation was really good.Technical Support: Same as above.

Yes, Citrix XEN Server and EMC VMWare Server. I left Citrix for security, there are too many "black box" in the binaries that cannot be audited. In the VMWare case, for licenses politics, it uses a "per socket" schema that punishes high density servers with 2 or 4 sockets .

Is is the tool of choice used in the entire Facebook infra-structure, so it must be "at least" good enough .

The first test was a little complex, in the time of the 1.4 version, but since the 2.0 version it is extremely simple, takes less then an hour to deploy a node and connect it to an existing cluster.

The 6.x release made things even easier, most maintenance tasks are now in the web interface

I am an IT consultant, and I do everything myself (with my team, we are 4 people!)

Outstanding, worth every single cent spent on it!

The deployment itself cost nothing, it is Opensource software! The monthly subscription costs 17 euros per node, and it covers anything we needed so far...There are more options, but it is more then our customers needed until now .

Several, From Red Hat to Ubuntu, and everything I can find with a Google search, I spent 6 months with these research and tests!

The Facebook contract came well after this tests .

What other advice do I have?

Do it! The simplicity will surprise you!

Private Cloud
Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Great affordability, scalable, and stable
  • "The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect."
  • "The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution to cover anything that VMware does.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has made it so that I can operate things without having to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. It's saved my company a lot of money.

What is most valuable?

The affordability of the solution is the product's most valuable aspect.

What needs improvement?

The so-called free support that the solution offers doesn't allow you to access the repositories. If they would allow that access like they say they do it would be better. It does work for about a week and then it times out and never works again.

It would be preferable if they had a different viewing product other than VNC.

The initial setup has a pretty steep learning curve.

I'd like to see more high availability capabilities.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is very stable. That's not a problem. I can't recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution is scalable. If a company needs to expand the service, it can do so easily.

We just have a handful of users on the solution. However, it fluctuates. Many users handle web servers and virtual guests.

Technical support has room for improvement. It would be nice to be able to call them and have conversations with them during stateside hours. Right now, that's not possible. Right now, it's more run through email and chats.

I'd rate their service seven out of ten. It's okay, but it could be better if calling them directly was an option.

We previously used Hyper-V and VMware, however, we switched to this solution mostly due to the costs involved in running the other options.

The initial setup isn't too bad, however, it's a bit complex. There's definitely a learning curve for people implementing it themselves.

The solution is very affordable in comparison to competitors.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply customers. We don't have a business relationship with the solution.

We're currently using the latest version of the solution.

We use both cloud and on-premises deployment models.

The solution isn't too bad, and not too hard to figure out. Users considering taking on the solution can just watch some videos and train up a little bit. It will make it easier when it comes to setting everything up and understanding how to handle the solution.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. It would be great if there was someone available in stateside hours instead of just German hours. Other than that, it offers pretty much everything we need at a pretty great price.

Carey Butler - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at Heurist GmbH / Heuristica Information Services
Straightforward to set up with good documentation and ROI
  • "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "I can't speak to any improvements. It is not lacking features."

What is our primary use case?

I am using it to virtualize microservices.

What is most valuable?

I'm using only a single server, so I have no need to replicate VMs.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The stability is good.

You can scale the solution.

The documentation is great.

If you have problems, you can find answers on their website.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to any improvements. It is not lacking features.

I've been using the solution for three years.

The stability is very good. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

I haven't had any problems with scalability. I'm using it on a server with 256-gigabyte memory and large hard disks and it's doing just fine.

Aside from the people using the website, just I use the solution.

We likely will increase usage in the future.

I've only used their website when I've had questions. I've never spoken to anyone directly. Therefore, I can't speak to personal experience with technical support.

We previously used VMware. I switched due to the fact that I wanted to try something different.

The initial setup is not overly complex. It's very straightforward, very simple.

I had a server that I needed to expose to the internet and I just decided to use it instead of VMware and it worked.

You only really need one person to handle maintenance, however, we have two people on staff that can handle those types of responsibilities.

I handled the initial setup on my own. I did not need to use an implementation specialist or consultant.

I've seen a very good ROI.

As soon as I need to go with collaboration and the networking of more than one server, I'll probably go to their licensing plan.

I just went directly to this product. I'm aware of other possibilities, KVM and others, however, I decided on Proxmox as it had a good following and good documentation.

What other advice do I have?

We are just a customer and an end-user.

While version seven is available, I haven't used it yet.

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Founder, President at Everyman Technologies, inc.
Easy to deploy and allows us to run services without using dedicated hardware
  • "The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment."
  • "There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface."

What is our primary use case?

There are a number of services that we need, such as a dedicated phone system and an Active Directory server, that we run in a virtualized environment. Doing so means that we don't need to use dedicated hardware for them.

How has it helped my organization?

This is a low-use, but a high-need solution for us. It is helpful because it means that we don't need dedicated hardware for all of our services. It has allowed us to grow the way we have, over the past couple of years.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ease of deployment.

For the most part, it is quite user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

The interface can be a little bit rough in places. There are some things that need to be done using the command-line interface, and these should be moved into the web-based interface. There are also aspects related to storage that are difficult to do with the interface.

We have been using Proxmox for between two and three years.

We have had absolutely no problems with stability.

Scalability is excellent and it seems to run with quite a low overhead.

I have been experimenting with adding nodes to the cluster so that we can create more of a high-availability system. The process is just a matter of installing the software and then copying and pasting the license key. It couldn't be easier.

I have not had problems that necessitated contacting technical support.

I did not use a similar solution prior to implementing Proxmox.

The initial setup is easy.

I am the person who is responsible for configuring and maintaining Proxmox.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that I recommend trying. There are others that are bigger and better, albeit priced accordingly. This should definitely be tried and put through its paces.

Overall, this is a good product, although there is always room for improvement.

Jose Vladimir Leon Higueras - PeerSpot reviewer
Virtualization Solutions Specialist at datec
Very stable and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM, but some processes are not automatic
  • "Proxmox is free, very stable, and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM. It's fine for a small data center."
  • "One issue with Proxmox is that some processes are not automatic. For some processes, you have to do it manually by command line."

What is our primary use case?

With Proxmox, we use the hypervisor of Proxmox and Proxmox backups. In VMware, I see all the production, like vSphere, vCenter, vRealize Operations Manager, vSAN, Workspace ONE, and VMware Horizon. Right now we are working with NSX.

For VMware, as a partner, I have many cases of vSAN as a hyperconvergence solution. This solution is very popular in my country, mostly with banks. There are many solutions that we have implemented and that are very successful. Horizon is another solution that is highly requested by clients. Because of the pandemic, the VDI and Remote Desktop are often requested from our clients. Those two are very good solutions. From my experience, I don't have many problems with them.

What is most valuable?

Proxmox is free, very stable, and doesn't require more resources for memory RAM. It's fine for a small data center.

What needs improvement?

One issue with Proxmox is that some processes are not automatic. For some processes, you have to do it manually by command line. I don't know about the last version of Proxmox, but I had that problem with this version.

I've been using this solution for one year. In my last job I was a final client, so I worked with vSphere and the vCenter. I did a migration from vSphere to Proxmox, and I was in charge of this infrastructure using Proxmox. I am working for a partner of the VMware product as a presale VMware specialist.

Most implementations are on-premise. We really don't have implementation on cloud. I'm from Bolivia, and we recently have been introducing on-cloud solutions, but most of the solutions are on-premises.

Proxmox is very stable.

For deployment, we used eight blade servers.

Proxmox is is free.

I've worked with VMware, vSphere, vCenter, and vRealize Operations Manager. VSphere works perfectly. The enterprise version is very complete, and you get almost everything you need in data center.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Proxmox VE 7 out of 10.

Information Technology Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
Easy to install, stable, and scalable
  • "It is easy to deploy."
  • "We are using servers individually, and we are looking for a reliable application that allows us to hop between servers with high availability."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our file servers. Most of the applications are file servers and some are employed as web servers for internal applications that we use.

What is most valuable?

Most of what we use is for file servers and for some internal web server applications for local use.

It is easy to deploy.

What needs improvement?

We are using servers individually, and we are looking for a reliable application that allows us to hop between servers with high availability. It is one of our primary goals to have a hyper-converged solution. With the high availability, we can make some hop-switch deployment teams between our servers.

It could be more user-friendly with the configuration.

We have been using Proxmox VE for almost one year.

We are using Version 6.3.

We have no issues with the stability of Proxmox Ve.

Proxmox VE is a scalable solution, but we are not necessarily interested in expanding our usage. We want to make some changes to something that is more reliable.

We have no support from Proxmox VE. Our support is from the internet. It would be helpful to have some support included.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. We set it up locally.

Our team does the configurations.

It takes a couple of days to deploy.

We are looking for another Hypervisor similar to VMware.

What other advice do I have?

Proxmox VE is a great solution for small enterprises for small businesses. I'll recommend it just for that use.

I would rate Proxmox VE an eight out of ten.

Download our free Proxmox VE Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022