We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Karel Van Der Walt
Data Architect at ACPAS Loan Management Software
Built-in code procedural language, good performance, good stability, and free
  • "The built-in code procedural language is the most valuable. It has a built-in layer for code procedures. Its installation is very easy and quick, and it is free. It is also stable, and its performance is also good."
  • "PostgreSQL doesn't have a feature for temporal SQL, which is useful for gathering versions of data. This feature should be included in PostgreSQL. This feature is available in MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle Database, and DB2."

What is our primary use case?

I have implemented costing models. I use it to capture item costs and then do calculations to compare costs.

What is most valuable?

The built-in code procedural language is the most valuable. It has a built-in layer for code procedures.

Its installation is very easy and quick, and it is free. It is also stable, and its performance is also good.

What needs improvement?

PostgreSQL doesn't have a feature for temporal SQL, which is useful for selecting version(s) of a row.

Specifically the syntax

SELECT

FROM <table> FOR SYSTEM_TIME AS OF ...

This feature should be included in PostgreSQL. This feature is available in MariaDB, SQL Server, Oracle Database, and DB2

I have been using this solution for six to seven years.

It is stable.

For my use case, it was good enough. I didn't use cluster or other such things. In my previous organization, we had 10 and 20 users. In my current organization, we don't have any other users.

I haven't used the paid support. I always find information from open forums and technical guys on the web.

I was previously working in a research organization, which favored open source. I have also used Oracle, Sybase, Microsoft SQL Server, and Ingres databases.

Its installation is very easy and quick. I am running it on Linux. It took a few minutes to install it.

I do it myself. I have been doing it for a long time. For its deployment and maintenance, one DevOps person is sufficient.

It is free, but if you need support, you can go for the commercial version called EnterpriseDB. They provide paid support, and they can even do hosting for you if you want standby and support.

For our current use case, I'm evaluating PostgreSQL versus MariaDB. I am probably going to use MariaDB because I need the temporal SQL feature, which is not available in PostgreSQL.

What other advice do I have?

I would 100% recommend this solution to others. I would rate PostgreSQL a nine out of ten.

Dimitris Iracleous
Lead Technical Instructor at codehub
Stable solution with easy installation for the conduction of surveys
  • "The solution is quite stable."
  • "The interface climate could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution to conduct surveys and consider this approach to be one which is cheaper for us.

What is most valuable?

The solution is quite stable. This said, it's more prestigious to use MySQL, although we haven't made comparisons for safety and reliability.

What needs improvement?

The performance is too low, although we haven't tested for this.

The interface climate could be better. There are many third party ones that we can use so it would be nice to see more support with the database diagrams.

We've been using PostgreSQL for certain small projects for the past three years.

The solution is quite stable for our use.

We haven't tested scalability.

I cannot say for sure if we have plans to increase usage, as we have yet to run a test.

While we do benefit from technical support, this is not something that we have required.

The initial setup wasn't difficult. I'd say it was quite straightforward.

The installation took less than an hour.

The need for our customers to pay for licences is contingent on their projects and budgets. It varies.

What other advice do I have?

We are not consultants to PotrgresSQL. We are usually consulted when it comes to using Microsoft MySQL Server, since we consider it to be quite robust and to have all the necessary support from Microsoft.

Fewer than 10 percent of our customers make use of PostgresSQL.

I would recommend the solution to others when when there is a desire to have projects and cost is a concern.

I would rate PostgresSQL as an eight out of ten, although this owes itself to personal preference and not to low performance.

Learn what your peers think about PostgreSQL. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,599 professionals have used our research since 2012.
System Architect at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, good community support, reliable, and has a good licensing model
  • "It's a useful solution, that can be widely used."
  • "It is possible that in the newer version this has been addressed, but I would like the deployment in microservices architecture could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use it in new team architectures, microservices architectures, and databases that are relatively small.

We also use it for table data, public web pages, some server applications that require data persistence, and some backend modules.

What is most valuable?

It's a useful solution, that can be widely used.

It is easy to use.

PostgreSQL has a large community.

The performance is good.

What needs improvement?

We don't have any use cases where we would use it in a large application as we do with Oracle. This is one limitation of this solution. We are unsure when it comes to deploying a large 24/7 application.

It is possible that in the newer version this has been addressed, but I would like the deployment in microservices architecture could be improved.

I have been using PostgreSQL for five years.

We use several different versions. It is determined by the application. For server applications, we use version 9, which is an older version, and for others, we use the most recent version.

PostgreSQL is a stable solution.

This solution is used by 10 people in our company.

It is supported by a third-party company.

I have never contacted technical support.

I am also using Oracle.

I have no experience with the deployment of this solution.

The licensing model is good.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others who are considering using it.

I would rate PostgreSQL a nine out of ten.

Senior Solutions Architect at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
Familiar to other solutions, stable, but not use-friendly
  • "The PostgreSQL database is similar to the SQL Server but has a slightly different technology that has similar resources as well. If the customer has the confidence using SQL Server, they will be fairly comfortable using this solution."
  • "PostgreSQL could improve by being more user-friendly. In SQL Server they have a studio where you can easily do management but not in this solution."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the back-end database.

What is most valuable?

The PostgreSQL database is similar to the SQL Server but has a slightly different technology that has similar resources as well. If the customer has the confidence using SQL Server, they will be fairly comfortable using this solution.

What needs improvement?

I have been using PostgreSQL within the past 12 months.

I have found the solution stable.

The solution is scalable but it could improve.

We have approximately 10 users using this solution in my organization.

We are using the open-source version for eight years. We have to rely on our own skillset to manage it.

The installation is easy.

We did the implementation ourselves but it is always recommended to use an expert.

This solution can offer a cheaper choice for customers since it is open-source.

I have evaluated SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a startup company with a normal production environment then this PostgreSQL should be fine. However, if there is a professional environment where there will be some support requirements and mission-critical applications, then they should choose an alternative, such as SQL Server.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate PostgreSQLa seven out of ten.

Florent ADODO
IT Assistant at Hotel 2 Fevrier
Better integration is needed, but it is easy to install and use

What is our primary use case?

We use it to convert the databases. We also use it to make a request from my PMS with the Oracle-based server through the third-party interface. We use this solution for the interface between our property management system and the cloud-based system. It works from both sides.

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to manage. It is easy to use. My main concern is that I can use it to connect with the interface. It is simple, it's good.

What needs improvement?

It needs more integration.

I have been using this solution for two years.

I have not explored the scalability of this solution yet. I will continue to use this solution but I don't have any…

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

It is very simple to manage.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

It needs more integration.

I have been using this solution for two years.

I have not explored the scalability of this solution yet.

I will continue to use this solution but I don't have any plans to increase our usage.

I have not contacted technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward. It was easy to install.

It took only one day to install, and two to three days to connect with the database.

We have a team of three, two admins, and one engineer to maintain the solution.

We had help from a company from Norway, one from South Africa, and one other from Dubai.

We do not pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Depending on the type of work the user wants to do with the interface I would recommend this solution or not.

I would rate PostgreSQL a five out of ten.

Senior DBA & IT Consultant at MA Consulting
A stable open-source relational database management system
  • "I like that you can move any relational database from Oracle to PostgreSQL. I also like that it's pretty stable."
  • "The price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

Any relational databases that you have in Oracle, you can move to PostgreSQL. This is what we have been doing at the moment.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The price could be better.

I have been using PostgreSQL for a few years.

PostgreSQL is quite stable.

We used Oracle before switching to PostgreSQL.

The initial setup and installation didn't take a lot of time. It usually takes about a couple of hours.

I implemented this solution by myself.

It could be much cheaper. If you would like to build an application on Amazon today, PostgreSQL is the standard database with Redshift. If you want other databases, you can add them, but PostgreSQL is the basis of everything. It's a question of money, that's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it as a choice for people that want to move from Oracle to another database, which is relatively free.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give PostgreSQL an eight.

Information Technology Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Intuitive interface, easy to use, but installation lengthy
  • "The solution has many valuable features such as it easy to use and the interface is intuitive."
  • "Instead of the installation agent downloading all the packages for the install, it should allow the user to download the packages separately on their own to do the install."

What needs improvement?

In a future release, the installation agent should take less time to create all the databases, especially the small Oracle databases that I was using.

I have been using the solution for a couple of months.

I have found the solution to be stable.

I have not fully tested the scalability but it has been good enough for what I have been using it for.

I did not experience any technical issues to call the support about.

The installation was easy even though it took approximately four hours. The time accumulated from downloading automatic packages from the VM tunnel. You have to download the whole package on your machine.

The solution requires a license.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution for small organizations.

I rate PostgreSQL a seven out of ten.

Director Of Sales Marketing at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, simple installation, and helpful documentary available online

What is our primary use case?

We are using PostgreSQL for databases.

What is most valuable?

PostgreSQL is very easy to use. I have experience in Oracle SQL and PostgreSQL uses the same syntax which makes it is easy for me to develop.

What needs improvement?

The performance of PostgreSQL could improve.

I have been using PostgreSQL for approximately three years.

In my usage of PostgreSQL, it has been stable.

PostgreSQL is scalable. We have approximately 70 people using the solution in my organization.

When our engineers have difficulty we use Google to search for a solution…

What is our primary use case?

We are using PostgreSQL for databases.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The performance of PostgreSQL could improve.

I have been using PostgreSQL for approximately three years.

In my usage of PostgreSQL, it has been stable.

PostgreSQL is scalable.

We have approximately 70 people using the solution in my organization.

When our engineers have difficulty we use Google to search for a solution online. There is information online that can be very helpful.

I have used MariaDB and Oracle MySQL.

The installation is very simple and took three to four hours.

I did the implementation of PostgreSQL. We have a team of three manages and fifteen engineers that do the maintenance of the solution.

There is an annual license.

What other advice do I have?

I rate PostgreSQL an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud