We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
PRATIK MISHRA
Senior Engineer- Cloud/Big Data System Software Research at Samsung Electronics
Bit rot protection and beautifully designed interface.
  • "The features that I have found most valuable with MinIO is its coding bit rot protection and how it distributes the workload over all the servers."
  • "The only downside I see is that you do not have a complete picture of an object."

What is our primary use case?

I was using MinIO for my own research and some other work which I cannot disclose.

How has it helped my organization?

MinIO has brought more scalability, use of computing resources, and it can lead towards higher cost savings for companies.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable with MinIO is its coding bit rot protection and how it distributes the workload over all the servers. I observed that the workload is very even in all the nodes.

What needs improvement?

I like the interface. It's beautifully designed and it's great. It's one of the best platforms I've seen and it is highly compatible. The only downside I see is that you do not have a complete picture of an object.

Additionally, a feature I would like to see in the next release would be if they can include an uneven disk structure. Then you can use an uneven number of disks and create a bunch of tickets by a factor of two. If I could use an odd number of disks, that would be better, it would give me more flexibility.

MinIO can sometimes crash because of the dependency in underlying OS software layers. Of course it crashes depending on the file system. There is a heavy dependence on the node's file system, that is another issue.

MinIO requires ongoing maintenance by the staff. Their interface is pretty good, it just needs a software upgrade.

MinIO should be easy to scale. It's an evenly scaling system.

I have plans to increase the usage.

The initial setup was simple.

You just need one person to do that part of the small cluster and I had a pretty small cluster so it didn't take much time - maybe half a day.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering using MinIO would be to first check if the open source version works for you. It probably should be able to. It has an S3 plugin so quite easily you can have interoperability between the public and private cloud or a hybrid setup. That is one advantage of the system. So if you need a private enterprise working as a public cloud, then MinIO is one of the best solutions I've seen so far.

I was using it for my personal work and MinIO it's a high-performance object storage system. So when you need high performance, you should go to MinIO.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate MinIO an eight.

In the current market, when you have so many options for objects storage, MinIO is completely open source and an all inclusive package offering you both stability and scalability and its most attractive feature is the S3 plugin which is very similar to AWS.

Nasrudin Salim Suden
Assistant Vice President at DBS Bank
Scales very well and provides the ability to spawn a MinIO Tenant on demand and shut it down right after
  • "The ability to spawn a MinIO Tenant on demand and shut it down right after is most valuable."
  • "There should be the ability to expand the size after it has already been deployed. Currently, you cannot do that. It doesn't support an increase in size. Each time we spawn a new MinIO, we need to track the particular MinIO instance or tenant that has the file. Therefore, we had to create a multi-tenant solution that tracks the MinIO that has our artifacts. It isn't in one single instance. It should have better multi-tenancy support."

What is our primary use case?

We used it for machine learning artifacts in terms of model weights and the model outputs for visualizations for ephemeral tasks.

I was using it less than a year ago, and it was the latest open-source version.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped us to use AWS because we wanted a hybrid solution or to move to AWS eventually. MinIO provided that bridge. We could write code only once and make it work with MinIO. When we move the same code to the cloud to scale it, it will still continue to work.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There should be the ability to expand the size after it has already been deployed. Currently, you cannot do that. It doesn't support an increase in size. Each time we spawn a new MinIO, we need to track the particular MinIO instance or tenant that has the file. Therefore, we had to create a multi-tenant solution that tracks the MinIO that has our artifacts. It isn't in one single instance. It should have better multi-tenancy support.

On Kubernetes, it wasn't as stable as we wanted it to be.

It scales very well. It integrates quite well with other solutions.

We had probably a couple of hundred users. Their titles were Machine Learning Engineers or DevOps Engineers.

I didn't have to call up MinIO for tech support. There is documentation, but it is not so good.

We are phasing it off, and we are going to AWS. We have stopped using MinIO. At the moment, we are using Alluxio.

It was a bit complex. The complete deployment took about a month and a half.

We used Kubernetes YAML files because we were using MinIO on Kubernetes. Once that was up, we had to expose the MinIO instances via load balancers. That's how we connected MinIO.

In terms of maintenance, we have to make sure that we're always using the latest version. So, we have SRE people deployed to just monitor the health and versions. We have to update a few hundred instances of MinIO.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to not use MinIO on Kubernetes. I would rate MinIO an eight out of 10.

Learn what your peers think about MinIO. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
566,121 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Süleyman Fazıl Yeşil
Senior Software Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great for finding compatible libraries

What is our primary use case?

I am a software developer. My company was using MinIO to build new frontend applications. We were modernizing the desktop branch application into a web application because it was a modular application with lots of screens.  We didn't want the architect team to increase the size of the client applications. We also did not want a single package as our clients in rural areas would not be able to efficiently load application pages from a very long package network.  We were looking for a better way to optimize the load so MinIO was able to customize web packaging for the frontend and then decompose the web application components. We were packaging everything into a single package. By using MinIO we now optimize the transfer by providing storage for the…

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for a better way to optimize the load so MinIO was able to customize web packaging for the frontend and then decompose the web application components. We were packaging everything into a single package. By using MinIO we now optimize the transfer by providing storage for the packages.

Also, our development team had been deploying machine learning algorithms and modules were being produced. Some of these pilot projects do not end up going into production, so we use MinIO as storage for the data produced from machine learning. It works like a Git for machine learning models. The data is posted to Git and the actual files with the hashes are stored in MinIO. The IDs of those models are stored as metadata. It's a model versioning system for machine learning projects.

We deploy MinIO in our data centers as a local version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that MinIO is open, it works on-premise, and is compatible with the Amazon industry which is great for finding compatible libraries in many languages which is very good for developers.

What needs improvement?

MinIO could use a time patch on it. It could also use better documentation for some languages like Python.

The company I was working for had been using MinIO for almost two years.

The company was using MinIO in production, it was stable because we depend on it for production. I have complaints about the stability.

The company was just putting files on a server disk prior to using MinIO.

The solution is a service provided to developers, so our systems and DevOps team was responsible for deploying MinIO.

What other advice do I have?

I did not have any problems with MinIO, I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Chief Architect for NirvaShare at Nirvato
Easy to install, easy to configure, and you can get it up and running in minutes
  • "The initial setup was very easy - one click, and it was installed."
  • "The product's security is open by default, without any SSL."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is to help our customers integrate with MinIO to do file-sharing collaborations.

How has it helped my organization?

MinIO made it easy to collaborate with Amazon SDK.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is file storage.

What needs improvement?

The product's security is open by default, without any SSL, which could be an area for improvement. I don't think I would request any new features in the next release, as the product currently meets all my needs.

I have been using MinIO for about six months.

The stability of this solution is great - with any file that we uploaded or downloaded, we found it was quick to respond.

My impression is that MinIO supports a wide range of clustering, and I believe it should work in a highly scalable environment for people with larger platforms and larger storage.

The initial setup was very easy - one click, and it was installed. That's what is great about MinIO.

MinIO is open source, but it also has an enterprise license available if preferred.

What other advice do I have?

I feel MinIO is the best solution to recommend to anyone who requires on-premise S3-compatible storage. It is easy to install, easy to configure, and you can get it up and running in minutes, not hours or days. I would rate this product as nine out of ten.

IT Manager at a wholesaler/distributor with 51-200 employees
Secure and easy tool but setup is difficult
  • "Saves a lot of time in generating and managing documents."
  • "Limited storage provided in the free version."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for MinIO is as a tool for document management and storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit of MinIO is that it's more secure. It also facilitates our works due to the facility of its end-point course.

What is most valuable?

MinIO's most valuable feature is that we can send a lot of detail in the bottom of the core of the end-point, in a way that is easy and interactive. It also saves a lot of time in generating and managing documents.

What needs improvement?

An area that could be improved is the limited storage provided in the free version of this tool. When handling a lot of documents, the interaction can take a lot of time.

I've been using MinIO for the last two to three years.

The stability of this solution is fine, though sometimes the duration of responses is too long.

MinIO is easy to scale.

The initial setup was not easy at all. We had some problems since we weren't given the information on how many instances needed to be deployed the first time, which blocked our deployment. It took us one or two days to deploy the product. On the other hand, it was very easy to manipulate and interact with.

What other advice do I have?

I think MinIO is the most efficient tool in the management of documents, and its performance facilitates our works. I would rate this tool as seven out of ten.

DevOps Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, reliable and easy to manage
  • "Reliable erasure coding."
  • "Lacks documentation for non-Kubernetes users."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of MinIO is to ingest the data coming from devices, and to store the raw files coming from the devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is its reliable erasure coding. It is also easy to deploy and manage.

What needs improvement?

I think the product tends to be more oriented toward Kubernetes and lacks documentation for people who don't want to use it, so they could improve their documentation. They could also better highlight the recommended versions as there are a lot of new versions, and it's difficult to know which is the best to use.

I've been using MinIO for two and a half years.

MinIO's stability is quite good, except for some synchronization issues.

I've used their Slack account for support, which gave me okay answers.

I previously used Red Hat Ceph Storage, which was harder to implement but more robust, with more features.

The initial setup wasn't too difficult and took between five to ten minutes.

What other advice do I have?

You need to monitor disk usage and cluster status, but with correct monitoring, this solution works quite well. It's also important to keep up with upgrades as the product is evolving quite fast. If you need some S3-like solution with common features, MinIO is a good solution. I would rate this solution as eight out of ten.