IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
IT Consultant at Power Source Sdn Bhd
Reseller
Is able to manage any brand of block storage and is scalable
  • "The most useful feature of SANsymphony is that it's able to manage any brand of block storage."
  • "If it could integrate to a cloud gateway, then we could carry it directly to storage, instead of having middleware in between the storage and the cloud."

What needs improvement?

It's a very expensive solution, and the licensing costs should be lower.

I've been dealing with this solution for seven to eight months.

It's very stable, but you must know what you are doing because you need to have sufficient memory processing in order for SANsymphony to work properly. Once you have that down, it's actually quite easy to manage.

DataCore SANsymphony
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about DataCore SANsymphony. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability is easier because everything comes in pairs. Everything you need to do, you have to do in pairs. For DataCore SANsymphony, you don't need a witness node. You can actually run in pairs, and you can upgrade in pairs. You can find support for up to 64 nodes, if I'm not mistaken. It depends on how you want to design your architecture.

Based on my experience, their technical support is very good.

The initial setup is very straightforward.

One person can easily manage the entire software. There is a learning curve, and you need to understand the features, how it works, how to create your storage pool, and how to tier your storage pool. Once you understand those things, everything is actually quite easy and streamlined. You just need to know the basic architecture.

We have licensing costs on a yearly basis. They charge per terabyte, so in terms of cost, it can be very costly.

They have three different features, and you have to pay extra for those.

What other advice do I have?

If you have multiple block storage, as in a silo, then you can use SANsymphony to manage the storage from one management portal. You can also tier the data from storage, say, for example, from HP storage to Dell storage, transparently. You can also do storage migration without any downtime.

Compared to VMware vSAN on Nutanix or VxRail, you need a minimum of three nodes, two nodes and one witness. However, for DataCore SANsymphony you don't need a witness node.

DataCore SANsymphony is very good and very solid. In fact, it's almost 20 years old, but the pricing can be an issue.

Presales Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
A stable enterprise-class software-defined storage platform that's highly scalable.
  • "It's a software storage solution that can scale as we like. There is also has a parallel feature that enhances the performance of the storage solution. We can separate storage and computing, and we can scale these two parts of the platform to meet business needs efficiently."
  • "Problem detection could be easier. It should help customers identify problems very quickly because it's not easy to analyze on the platform today."

What is our primary use case?

I work with many customers that ask us to put their solution near the production because they can't stop the production. It's easier to protect the network this way.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped my customers because it's an SDS solution, and we can use all components that you put in a server. You have many options that meet customer needs, and you can find the best way in relation to performance and price.

What is most valuable?

It's a software storage solution that can scale as we like. There is also has a parallel feature that enhances the performance of the storage solution. We can separate storage and computing, and we can scale these two parts of the platform to meet business needs efficiently.

The most important thing is the work we do on the new management interface called DIS. You can follow the evolution of this platform, and it's very important for me because the customer has to manage the platform.

We add the workload on this platform, and they need the platform to evolve. It's very important to the customer, and we have to work on the DIS to realize the customer's this vision.

What needs improvement?

Problem detection could be easier. It should help customers identify problems very quickly because it's not easy to analyze on the platform today.

I have been using DataCore SANsymphony SDS for about six years.

DataCore SANsymphony SDS is a very robust and stable solution.

Technical support is very good. For example, their system engineer came down to help my customer resolve a problem.

I can't say that the installation is difficult, but it's impossible for a customer who doesn't know the product or the installation process. You will need the help of a consultant or a reseller to install and deploy this solution.

This product has a good ratio between quality and price. In many cases, it's less expensive to work with DataCore than other storage systems.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give DataCore SANsymphony SDS a ten.

DataCore SANsymphony
August 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sales Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easily scalable software-defined storage solution for medium-sized businesses; has high availability and stability
  • "The most valuable feature of DataCore SANsymphony SDS is its high availability. This solution also exhibits good performance and has high stability."
  • "One limitation of this solution is that it's Windows-based, e.g. one requirement to install DataCore SANsymphony SDS is putting it on a Windows server machine. It relies on Windows and that is a limitation because there are some customers who are looking for non Windows systems."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of DataCore SANsymphony SDS is its high availability.

I also like that this solution has high stability and good performance.

What needs improvement?

One limitation of this solution is that it's Windows-based, e.g. one requirement to install DataCore SANsymphony SDS is putting it on a Windows server machine. It relies on Windows and that is a limitation because we have some customers who are looking for non Windows systems.

What we'd like to see in the future is for this software to support more operating systems.

We've been working with DataCore SANsymphony SDS for 10 years.

Based on customer opinion, DataCore SANsymphony SDS has very high stability. It's a good and stable solution.

The scalability of DataCore SANsymphony SDS is okay. I never had an issue with the scalability of this software, but it could be because we're working with medium-sized customers, not large-sized customers. I'm not sure if scalability would be a concern when dealing with large-sized customers.

Technical support for this software is good. We ran into a few issues and their technical support team were on time helping us, including our customers. I would rate the support for DataCore SANsymphony SDS five out of five.

What other advice do I have?

We are not using software-defined storage, but we are partners with some vendors. We are distributors and resellers of software-defined storage solutions. We're working with DataCore SANsymphony SDS.

As DataCore SANsymphony SDS is a good software, it doesn't need to improve much.

Someone else set the software up, and I wasn't involved in the process of setting it up.

The advice I would give to a company that's thinking of implementing this solution is for them to have a good understanding of the documentation, and for them to be trained before installing the software in their production environment.

I'm giving DataCore SANsymphony SDS eight points out of ten. If they are able to support more OS (operating systems), I would give them a perfect score.

Pavol Schreiber - PeerSpot reviewer
Sales Manager at TCX
It offers many potential options for implementation
  • "SANsymphony is flexible, with many potential options for implementation. SANsymphony's can be used with VMware, Hyper-V, or even with a hypervisor agnostic approach. It can also be used for strictly physical non-virtualized solutions."
  • "SANsymphony is missing some features that vSAN has. For example, vSAN has a special feature called continuous data protection. It provides the ability to go back in time to a given moment. You can see what was on your disk in the past up to two weeks. That's a great feature because ransomware attacks are increasingly common, and that provides you some kind of protection."

What is our primary use case?

SANsymphony is a hardware-independent solution that provides storage virtualization. We implemented SANsymphony because of its mirrors feature. So it allows you to store the data on two sides synchronously on a single storage server. However, that single storage server consists of two independent hardware boxes in two data centers, but it behaves like one storage server because it's mirrored. No other vendor was offering that kind of transparent behavior when we implemented it.

What is most valuable?

SANsymphony is flexible, with many potential options for implementation. SANsymphony's can be used with VMware, Hyper-V, or even with a hypervisor agnostic approach. It can also be used for strictly physical non-virtualized solutions.

What needs improvement?

SANsymphony is missing some features that vSAN has. For example, vSAN has a special feature called continuous data protection. It provides the ability to go back in time to a given moment. You can see what was on your disk in the past up to two weeks. That's a great feature because ransomware attacks are increasingly common, and that provides you some kind of protection.

I've been using different DataCore solutions for about 15 years.

SANsymphony's scalability is huge.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SANSymphony eight out of 10. I believe it's a great product with many excellent features.

Download our free DataCore SANsymphony Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: August 2022