We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent microservices architecture; integrates very well

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is based on the writing microservices, event architecture and using Kafka as an event bus. We work on distribution - enterprise-grade - and we design, develop and deploy in a confluent environment. We are customers of Kafka and I'm the chief technology officer.

What is most valuable?

In my view, valuable features relate to microservices architecture and working on KStream and KSQL DB as a microservices event bus. The solution integrates very well.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user environment is currently lacking in Apache. It's not available within the solution and needs to be built from scratch. Some of the open source products of this solution have limitations.

I've been…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

We are still in phase one so haven't yet tested scalability. That will come when we move to the second phase. We currently have around 15 users of this solution.

Support is on a subscription-based model but we haven't had any contact with technical support.

The licensing for this solution is pay-as-you-use.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Product Manager at Insightgeeks
Has amazing throughput, we don't get any delays
  • "We get amazing throughput. We don't get any delay."
  • "The manageability should be improved. There are lots of things we need to manage and it should have a function that enables us to manage them all cohesively."

What is most valuable?

We get amazing throughput. We don't get any delay.

What needs improvement?

The manageability should be improved. There are lots of things we need to manage and it should have a function that enables us to manage them all cohesively. There should be a default property. It's really hard to manage all these things.

I have been using Apache Kafka for around six months.

It is really stable. The stability is really good. I just installed it on my local machine.

It is scalable.

I use it 24/7. We have to change both packets to Kafka and from Kafka it receives data. We retain the packet for only six seconds.

I haven't needed to contact their customer support. It's quite simple. I didn't need to contact them to manage my application.

It's wasn't so easy for me to deploy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go through the documents and understand the topics. Learn what its effects are and take care of partitioning.

Based on my experience, I would rate it an eight out of ten. It's quite complicated and the configuration requires a lot of effort. As a developer it is quite hard to go into all these things.

Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
563,780 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Enterprice Architect
A reliable message delivery system, but more connectors to different systems are needed
  • "The most important feature for me is the guaranteed delivery of messages from producers to consumers."
  • "More adapters for connecting to different systems need to be available."

What is our primary use case?

I am an enterprise architect involved in Big Data and integration projects using Apache Kafa. We use it for integrating our different management systems.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

More adapters for connecting to different systems need to be available.

I have been using Kafka for about six months.

This is a stable solution and we haven't had any complexities.

This solution is scalable.

I have used IBM MQ and it is better in terms of the adapters that are available. However, the price of IBM MQ is very high.

The initial setup is easy.

Kafka is more reasonably priced than IBM MQ.

What other advice do I have?

Although we are deployed on-premises at the moment, we are looking to have a cloud-based deployment in a year or two.

This is a solution that I can recommend but it will take a lot of time to develop the adapters.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

AhmadMasamreh
IBMi/MIMIX Administrator at Arab Bank
Good event monitoring capability, but it can be made easier to manage
  • "It is easy to configure."
  • "We cannot apply all of our security requirements because it is hard to upload them."

What is our primary use case?

We use Kafka for event monitoring.

What is most valuable?

Everything in Kafka is amazing.

The most valuable feature for us is the event monitoring.

It is easy to configure.

What needs improvement?

This solution could be made easier to manage.

Compatibility with other solutions and integration with other tools can be improved.

We have not experienced any bugs or glitches.

It is easy to scale. This is a new project so we only have about five users right now.

I have not been in contact with technical support.

I have also used IBM MQ and Kafka is much easier to use. However, IBM MQ is better for large deployments.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We deployed this solution ourselves.

What other advice do I have?

Apache Kafka is a good solution with many good features but for large deployments, I would choose IBM MQ over Kafka.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

RABBAHMahmoud
Senior Technical Architect at RABBAH SOFT
Enables us to move data from static files to a legacy system

What is our primary use case?

I'm a software architect. The use case will depend my customers. They usually use it for data transfer from static files to a legacy system.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like for there to be some authorization features and HTL security.  We also need bigger software and better monitoring.

I have been using Apache Kafka for the last ten years.

The stability is good. We've never had any issues.

Scalability is very good.

I have never needed to contact technical support. My colleagues get support from here, in Morrocco.  …

What needs improvement?

We also need bigger software and better monitoring.

I have been using Apache Kafka for the last ten years.

The stability is good. We've never had any issues.

Scalability is very good.

The setup is not a big deal for us. We can handle it. After the system is set up, the person who administers it has to do so with Apache Kafka.

Depending on the setup, it will usually take two weeks.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a nine out of ten. Not a ten because of the monitoring and admin improvement I'd like for them to make.