Software Support & Development Engineer at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Scalable and free to use
  • "Apache Kafka is scalable. It is easy to add brokers."
  • "Apache Kafka can improve by making the documentation more user-friendly. It would be beneficial if we could explain to customers in more detail how the solution operates but the documentation get highly technical quickly. For example, if they had a simple page where we can show the customers how it works without the need for the customer to have a computer science background."

What is our primary use case?

Apache Kafka is used for connecting components between each other in the same application. The use is quite limited, but I was curious about its filtering capability of it.

How has it helped my organization?

We implemented the notification system between our components, and we found that Apache Kafka performs well in scalability. It has improved our organization because of the scalability and the comfort of a fail-safe or disaster recovery it provides.

What needs improvement?

Apache Kafka can improve by making the documentation more user-friendly. It would be beneficial if we could explain to customers in more detail how the solution operates but the documentation get highly technical quickly. For example, if they had a simple page where we can show the customers how it works without the need for the customer to have a computer science background.

I have been using Apache Kafka for approximately two years.

Apache Kafka
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Apache Kafka is scalable. It is easy to add brokers.

We have approximately 30 people using this solution in my organization. They use the solution daily.

I have only used Apache Kafka.

The initial setup of Apache Kafka took some time but after it was easy.

I rate the initial setup of Apache Kafka a three out of five.

We set up the solution in-house.

This is an open-source solution and is free to use.

What other advice do I have?

We have not used the solution in production. We do not have a lot of data at the moment.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Apache Kafka an eight out of ten.

Ravi-Patel - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Professor at CHAROTAR UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Difficult to configure, lacking automation, but has good community support
  • "The valuable features are the group community and support."
  • "The solution can improve by having automation for developers. We have done many manual calculations and it has been difficult but if it was automated it would be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the early stages of testing this solution in our lab as a demo. It is in development and we are not in production at this point.

We are using this solution to relay events when they happen to multiple receivers at once to allow better functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has helped our client's online restaurant company by allowing them to take any orders and send the notifications with some other details, such as logic commands, to the different microservices.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are the group community and support.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The solution's scalability is important for our ability to have more throughput from multiple receivers. If we need more throughput it can deliver.

We did use other solutions previously but this solution makes things a lot easier.

The installation is fairly easy. Additionally, there is a cloud-based version available if a use case requires it.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free, it is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of configuration involved in this solution. We have found many configurations that have helped us but it would be beneficial if there was automation.

I rate Apache Kafka a five out of ten.

Apache Kafka
November 2022
653,757 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AbhishekGupta - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineering Leader at Walmart
Stable, plenty of features, and useful for real-time analytics
  • "The most valuable feature of Apache Kafka is Kafka Connect."
  • "Apache Kafka could improve data loss and compatibility with Spark."

What is our primary use case?

Apache Kafka can be deployed on the cloud and on-premise.

We use Apache Kafka internally to build a service on a cluster. Additionally, we use the intermediate persistence layer for events. There are many teams who leverage it as a message queue and further their microservice connections.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has helped out the organization because we leverage it for all our eCommerce real-time analytics use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Apache Kafka is Kafka Connect.

What needs improvement?

Apache Kafka could improve data loss and compatibility with Spark.

I have been using Apache Kafka for approximately five years.

Apache Kafka is stable.

The scalability of Apache Kafka could improve.

We have approximately 10,000 users using this solution.

The support from Apache Kafka could improve. Their engineers at times do not know what the solutions can do.

We previously used IBM MQ, Tipco, and AMQ.

The initial setup of Apache Kafka was complex. We were able to simplify it by doing registry-based integration of the services.

Apache Kafka has given a substantial return on investment.

What other advice do I have?

The number of people required for maintenance depends on the team. They need a centralized team to offer Apache Kafka and services. Each team does have knowledge of Kafka.

This solution has a lot of features and there is no other solution on the market that has similar advanced features. It is a very good solution.

I rate Apache Kafka an eight out of ten.

freelance at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The solution is flexible, stable, reliable, and robust
  • "I like Kafka's flexibility, stability, reliability, and robustness."
  • "Kafka has a lot of monitors, but sometimes it's most important to just have a simple monitor."

What is most valuable?

I like Kafka's flexibility, stability, reliability, and robustness.

What needs improvement?

Kafka has a lot of monitors, but sometimes it's most important to just have a simple monitor. Improvements to Kafka's management would be nice, but it's not so necessary for me. There are a lot of consoles that offer a better view than Kafka. Some are free, and some are paid, but I'm thinking about streaming. For example, if you connect more streams to a component in the same queue, how will it integrate to recognize the flow and the message?

I've been using Kafka for more than two years.

Kafka is stable. Defining our user base is hard because Kafka influences the whole company, so you could say around 100 users. Kafka is a core system, so it affects all users we choose to link to the primary key.

I previously used IBM MQ.

The first time we tried to deploy Kafka, it seemed a little complicated, but the second try went better. Sometimes it isn't easy to set up the necessary communication or estimate how many partitions we need. Some applications have a vast amount of data, so we have to consider how to improve the performance and not increase the transfer times.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Apache Kafka nine out of 10. I think it's one of the best tools on the internet.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good support, stable, and it supports a high volume of data
  • "The most valuable feature is the support for a high volume of data."
  • "The initial setup and deployment could be less complex."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apache Kafka is being used in our client's company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for a high volume of data.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and deployment could be less complex.

Integration is one of the main concerns that we have.

We have been using Apache Kafka for two years.

Kafka is a stable product.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support is quite good, and we have no problem with it.

We also use IBM MQ. It is also a stable product.

IBM MQ is probably easier to deploy than Kafka.

In addition to these, I have also worked with RabbitMQ.

Deploying Kafka is more complex than IBM MQ.

My customer has asked me to choose between IBM MQ and Apache Kafka. I will be comparing these two solutions in the near future. My impression is that Kafka is going to better suit my customer, but I have to consider their specific needs before I can be sure.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I may recommend, but its suitability depends on the needs and requirements.

Program Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very robust and delivers messages quickly

What is our primary use case?

We deployed this solution in a project for one of our customers to synchronize the different applications; to transport information from one application to another. I'm a program manager and we are customers of Apache.

What is most valuable?

This solution is robust and delivers messages quickly. It's a simple but good product.

What needs improvement?

The management tool could be improved.

I've been using this solution for the past few months.

In this project, we used Kafka to synchronize 28 nodes spread out nationally and it seems scalable. We plan to consolidate the 28 nodes for national integration of nodes and schemas.

We didn't need to contact technical support. We just allotted the software, installed it and started working with it. We carried out a lot of testing pre-development. Development was done with a company that previously used Kafka so we were able to exchange technical information.

We previously used ActiveMQ for another project.

The initial setup was a little complex. We carried out the development ourselves.

Our clients purchased the license and they think it's an affordable solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, we're probably going to use it again in another project.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent microservices architecture; integrates very well

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is based on the writing microservices, event architecture and using Kafka as an event bus. We work on distribution - enterprise-grade - and we design, develop and deploy in a confluent environment. We are customers of Kafka and I'm the chief technology officer.

What is most valuable?

In my view, valuable features relate to microservices architecture and working on KStream and KSQL DB as a microservices event bus. The solution integrates very well.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user environment is currently lacking in Apache. It's not available within the solution and needs to be built from scratch. Some of the open source products of this solution have limitations.

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

We are still in phase one so haven't yet tested scalability. That will come when we move to the second phase. We currently have around 15 users of this solution.

Support is on a subscription-based model but we haven't had any contact with technical support.

The licensing for this solution is pay-as-you-use.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Rémy NOLLET - PeerSpot reviewer
Data Exchange Architect MQSeries at Decathlon International
Multi-use, stable solution that requires some external support
  • "It is a useful way to maintain messages and to manage offset from our consumers."
  • "I would like to see an improvement in authentication management."

What is our primary use case?

We utilize Apache Kafka in several areas, including financials, logistics, and client management to name a few.

How has it helped my organization?

We used to lose some of our messages when we integrated them in bulk, this solution has stopped that happening.

What is most valuable?

It is a useful way to maintain messages and to manage offset from our consumers.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in authentication management.

We have been using the solution for around four years.

The stability is good; the solution operates on our clusters without a big impact.

It is easy to scale.

We used to use a different solution, but our increased throughput meant we needed a product that would allow for a larger queue.

The initial setup was complex for us because we built it internally. This meant that full deployment took around a month.

The implementation was carried out in-house.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that other businesses do the deployment themselves, but manage the tool with the aid of a service provider, rather than in-house.

I would rate this product seven out of ten.