We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
MoulaliNaguri
Project Engineer at Wipro Technologies
Free to use, mature, and offers good scalability
  • "It's an open-source product, which means it doesn't cost us anything to use it."
  • "The UI is based on command line. It would be helpful if they could come up with a simpler user interface."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for big data. We often get a million messages per second, and with such a high output we use Kafka to help us handle it.

What is most valuable?

When we're working with big data, we need a throughput computing panel, which is something that Kafka provides, and something we find extremely valuable. It helps us support computing and ensures there's no loss of data. It can even do replication with some data.

The delivery of data is it's most valuable aspect.

It's an easy to use product overall.

The solution is quite mature.

It's an open-source product, which means it doesn't cost us anything to use it.

What needs improvement?

We're still going through the solution. Right now, I can't suggest any features that might be missing. I don't see where there can be an improvement in that regard.

The speed isn't as fast as RabbitMQ, even though the solution touts itself as very quick. It could be faster. They should work to make it at least as fast as RabbitMQ.

The UI is based on command line. It would be helpful if they could come up with a simpler user interface.

They should make it easier to configure items on the solution.

The solution would benefit from the addition of better monitoring tools.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is a bit slow in comparison to RabbitMQ. It's supposed to be a very fast solution, and it has okay performance, but speed-wise, it's quite slow.

The scaling of the solution is quite good.

In terms of technical support, we don't get that directly from Apache Kafka. We have certain cloud data distribution so we get assistance from our cloud data support.

We're continuously deploying the product. We're still in the process of deployment.

It's an open-source product, so the pricing isn't an issue. It's free to use. We don't have costs associated with it.

I'm not the product owner, so I didn't have a say in what should be chosen. We were seeing a high throughput with Kafka which is why we ultimately chose it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's good at scaling, and, performance-wise, it's excellent. If they could add upon the UI and allow for easier configuration, I'd rate them higher.

Assistant Student at a retailer with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reliable solution for processing broker messages from many clients
  • "The most valuable feature is the messaging function and reliability."
  • "Something that could be improved is having an interface to monitor the consuming rate."

What is our primary use case?

I have a lot of messages, and we need to process those messages from many clients. Each client takes those messages and processes them.

I'm using the brokerage partner. I'm not storing or maintaining the application on servers. I'm just a client for the Apache Kafka server.

The solution is deployed on-prem.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has improved our organization because it's more reliable than Rabbit. That's the whole point for us.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the messaging function and reliability.

What needs improvement?

Something that could be improved is having an interface to monitor the consuming rate. We use something, but I'm not sure if it's from Apache Kafka, or if it's a borrowed third-party solution. So, the interface for monitoring the processes is an additional feature that could be added.

I have been using this solution for two years.

The solution is pretty stable compared to Rabbit or other brokers.

The solution is scalable. We have about 10 departments that use Kafka in various forms. Each department might have 5 or 10 people.

We use the solution all the time. We have consumers that consume messages that come every day because we have clients and customers for the main website. All of those messages go to KAF clients. Our backend departments consume messages from the actions of the final customers.

We used Rabbit and we switched to Kafka because it seemed like an upgrade in ability, reliability, and in the consuming process of broker messages.

Implementations took half a year for everyone to learn the solution. It was quite lengthy.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

My advice is to take some time in investigating how to implement the solution.

We used to require about half a year to implement in our organization. Someone who needs to implement Kafka has to be prepared for a quite lengthy process. Don't expect implementation to be completed in a week. It's a little bit longer because it's complex.

Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,997 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Owner at Binarylogicworks.com.au
Good performance and resilience, but it is complex and has a learning curve
  • "The most valuable feature is the performance."
  • "Kafka is complex and there is a little bit of a learning curve."

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and this is one of the products that I implement for my customers.

Kafka works well when subscribes want to stream data for specific topics.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the performance.

What needs improvement?

Kafka is complex and there is a little bit of a learning curve.

I have been using Apache Kafka for between one and two years.

Resilience-wise, Kafka is very good.

Kafka is a very scalable system. You can have multiple, scalable architectures.

I have not seen any problems with technical support. There is licensed support available, which is not the case with all open-source solutions. Open-source products often have issues when it comes to getting support.

I have customers who were using IBM MQ but they have been switching to open-source.

The initial setup was straightforward for me. However, it is not straightforward for everyone because there are some tricky things to implement. In single-mode it is a little bit easier, but when it is set up as a distributed system then it is more complex because there are a lot of things to be considered.

Kafka is open-source and it is cheaper than any other product.

There is a competing open-source solution called NATS but I see that Apache Kafka is widely used in many places.

Performance-wise, Kafka is better than any of the other products.

What other advice do I have?

This is currently the product that I am recommending to customers. Some customers want an open-source solution.

There are some newer products that are coming on to the market that are even faster than Kafka but this solution is very resilient.

In the long run, I think that open-source will dominate the pace.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Ravi-Patel
Assistant Professor at CHAROTAR UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Difficult to configure, lacking automation, but has good community support
  • "The valuable features are the group community and support."
  • "The solution can improve by having automation for developers. We have done many manual calculations and it has been difficult but if it was automated it would be much better."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the early stages of testing this solution in our lab as a demo. It is in development and we are not in production at this point.

We are using this solution to relay events when they happen to multiple receivers at once to allow better functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has helped our client's online restaurant company by allowing them to take any orders and send the notifications with some other details, such as logic commands, to the different microservices.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are the group community and support.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The solution's scalability is important for our ability to have more throughput from multiple receivers. If we need more throughput it can deliver.

We did use other solutions previously but this solution makes things a lot easier.

The installation is fairly easy. Additionally, there is a cloud-based version available if a use case requires it.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free, it is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of configuration involved in this solution. We have found many configurations that have helped us but it would be beneficial if there was automation.

I rate Apache Kafka a five out of ten.

Reza Gholami
Senior Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
A resilient solution for metrics collection and monitoring
  • "Resiliency is great and also the fact that it handles different data formats."
  • "Some vendors don't offer extra features for monitoring."

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache Kafka for financial purposes. Every time one of our subscribed customers is due for an insurance payment, Apache Kafka sends an automated notification to the customer to let them know that their bill is due.

What is most valuable?

Resiliency is great and also the fact that it handles different data formats. There is one data format that's universal across multiple application domains — Avro. It's pretty universal compared to JSON, XML, SQI, and other formats.

What needs improvement?

Some vendors don't offer extra features for monitoring. Some come with Linux for default monitoring. Monitoring is very important. If something is not working properly, then our subscribers won't receive a notification. You then have to trace it back to Kafka and find the glitch or the messaging sequence that hasn't been racked up correctly.

It should support Avro — which handles different data formats — as a default data format. It would be much more flexible if it did.

I have been using Apache Kafka for three years.

It seems to be quite stable.

Apache Kafka is Scalable. You can actually launch a server node or a broker. Three nodes and Zookeeper (the Kafka server management system) is optimal. If one of them goes down you can automatically launch another one. You can go three servers or brokers back — there's a repetition on each Kafka broker.

Apache Kafka is open-source. They don't offer technical support.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apache Kafka a rating of eight.

Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Good support, stable, and it supports a high volume of data
  • "The most valuable feature is the support for a high volume of data."
  • "The initial setup and deployment could be less complex."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Apache Kafka is being used in our client's company.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the support for a high volume of data.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup and deployment could be less complex.

Integration is one of the main concerns that we have.

We have been using Apache Kafka for two years.

Kafka is a stable product.

This is a scalable solution.

The technical support is quite good, and we have no problem with it.

We also use IBM MQ. It is also a stable product.

IBM MQ is probably easier to deploy than Kafka.

In addition to these, I have also worked with RabbitMQ.

Deploying Kafka is more complex than IBM MQ.

My customer has asked me to choose between IBM MQ and Apache Kafka. I will be comparing these two solutions in the near future. My impression is that Kafka is going to better suit my customer, but I have to consider their specific needs before I can be sure.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I may recommend, but its suitability depends on the needs and requirements.

Program Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very robust and delivers messages quickly

What is our primary use case?

We deployed this solution in a project for one of our customers to synchronize the different applications; to transport information from one application to another. I'm a program manager and we are customers of Apache.

What is most valuable?

This solution is robust and delivers messages quickly. It's a simple but good product.

What needs improvement?

The management tool could be improved.

I've been using this solution for the past few months.

In this project, we used Kafka to synchronize 28 nodes spread out nationally and it seems scalable. We plan to consolidate the 28 nodes for national integration of nodes and schemas.

How are customer

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The management tool could be improved.

I've been using this solution for the past few months.

We didn't need to contact technical support. We just allotted the software, installed it and started working with it. We carried out a lot of testing pre-development. Development was done with a company that previously used Kafka so we were able to exchange technical information.

We previously used ActiveMQ for another project.

The initial setup was a little complex. We carried out the development ourselves.

Our clients purchased the license and they think it's an affordable solution.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution, we're probably going to use it again in another project.

I rate this solution eight out of 10.

Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Excellent microservices architecture; integrates very well

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is based on the writing microservices, event architecture and using Kafka as an event bus. We work on distribution - enterprise-grade - and we design, develop and deploy in a confluent environment. We are customers of Kafka and I'm the chief technology officer.

What is most valuable?

In my view, valuable features relate to microservices architecture and working on KStream and KSQL DB as a microservices event bus. The solution integrates very well.

What needs improvement?

The graphical user environment is currently lacking in Apache. It's not available within the solution and needs to be built from scratch. Some of the open source products of this solution have limitations.

I've been…

What needs improvement?

I've been using this solution for four years.

The solution is stable.

We are still in phase one so haven't yet tested scalability. That will come when we move to the second phase. We currently have around 15 users of this solution.

Support is on a subscription-based model but we haven't had any contact with technical support.

The licensing for this solution is pay-as-you-use.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)