IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Keshav Gaba - PeerSpot reviewer
Middleware Applications Specialist at a pharma/biotech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good control over incoming messages, with a helpful knowledge center and user community
  • "It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type."
  • "Some pre-packaged connectors for integration with various applications, such as SaaS offerings, would be a useful addition."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reinforcing data security policies, routing, and doing B2B transactions. There's more B2B as well as the ESB, the enterprise service bus.

What is most valuable?

This is a Gateway application provided by IBM. You have a lot of controls over the messages coming in, and how you can ensure these conform to your standards.

It can look for the various security threats, productions, payload scanning, and perform routing based on the content type.

You have various business to business integrations and mappings.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the CI/CI and DevOps components were part of this offering.

Having some pre-packaged proposals or integration solutions would be helpful, like many of the iPass providers are now supplying.

We have been working with the IBM DataPower Gateway for approximately seven years.

IBM DataPower Gateway
August 2022
Learn what your peers think about IBM DataPower Gateway. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2022.
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.

With respect to scalability, the new IDG X2 appliances come with a lot of power inside these appliances so you won't have any issues. It comes with a 24-core machine, which should be powerful enough for your workloads.

We are using the on-premises, hardware application, so scalability comes at a cost. It means that you will need to install another application and another appliance.

We have been in contact with technical support and they are pretty quick. IBM has the proper support portals. The knowledge center and user community are up to date.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is well-documented in the IBM Knowledge Center.

Deployment takes between two and three hours for each appliance.

The cost of this product varies from customer to customer and the relationship with IBM, including how many offerings from IBM are already being used.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this solution. It is a good security application and it incorporates integrations and the latest security controls that are available in the market.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

SOA & BP Technical Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Resilient high availability, easy to use, easy to install, with the best security platform available
  • "It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper."

What is most valuable?

The appliance version is one of the top, most powerful products on the market.

The most valuable features of this solution are the appliance hardware, the software embedded within the hardware appliance machine.

This is one of the best security platforms in the market.

It is easy to use, easy to install, and it's resilient for high availability.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, I would like to see the product price reduced. It should be cheaper.

We have been implementing IBM DataPower Gateway for more than 10 years.

We are using the latest version.

It's a stable solution.

It is a scalable product.

This is a supported gateway. It does not have front end users. It has a number of transactions. You compare the number of transactions, for the development and product utilization.

We have plans to continue using it in the future.

It depends on the level of contact between you and the customer, as well as the level of severity of the ticket. If you have a critical severity, you get an excellent response.

The initial setup is straightforward. It is easy to install.

If it is an appliance, just plug and play, and to configure the network connectivity it'll take a maximum of one day.

If it is the software it'll take a maximum of about one day.

You only need one person to maintain this solution.

It's expensive when you compare it with others. If you are going with the software then you can get a good deal, but the appliance version is expensive.

Customers have to pay for licensing.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate IBM DataPower Gateway a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
IBM DataPower Gateway
August 2022
622,063 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Group CEO at Mmusi Group
Quick deployment, exceptional support, and scalable
  • "The solution is scalable, our customers are mostly South African banks and they handle mostly transactions with this solution."

What is our primary use case?

IBM DataPower Gateway helps to provide security and control integration.

I have used IBM DataPower Gateway within the last 12 months.

The solution is scalable, our customers are mostly South African banks and they handle mostly transactions with this solution.

The support for IBM DataPower Gateway has been exceptional.

They help you depending on your severity and how you log the ticket. If it's a Tier-1 support ticket then it will get their attention. Or you can send it to your account manager for the relevant accounts to receive the help, or you escalate the ticket and you receive extra attention. They help you resolve the problem as they arise. Support with IBM and Microsoft have been more or less identical. You can receive the help you need as long as you know how to start.

The implementation of IBM DataPower Gateway was very quick.

BM DataPower Gateway is a great solution but when based on utilizations in the different streams others feel that this is an expensive product for one simple use case. They can achieve the same result with something cheaper.

Most customers' use case budgets are not inlined with the price of IBM DataPower Gateway. It is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

The previous CIO in IBM wanted to move away from DataPower Gateway. We are currently using ACE Platform because it does the bulk of the workload and Connect Direct. IBM was wondering why they were having IBM DataPower Gateway if they also have Connect Direct to do file transfers. They are currently re-evaluating the situation.

I would recommend the solution to others.

I rate IBM DataPower Gateway a nine out of ten.

Business Development Manager at a insurance company with 11-50 employees
    Provides the ability to handle multiple request at an enterprise level but is an expensive solution that is not scalable for our business
    • "The most valuable features for our business include the ability to monitor and log data transactions and handle multiple request at an enterprise level."
    • "The IBM community does not have much engagement from the IT community in Saudi Arabia and developers for this solution are difficult to find."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features for our business include the ability to monitor and log data transactions and handle multiple request at an enterprise level. We also receive good support from IBM.

What needs improvement?

The IBM community does not have much engagement from the IT community in Saudi Arabia and developers for this solution are difficult to find.

They have to enable the location subscribe using Message Queue which could be improved.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is not scalable for our environment.

Technical support from IBM is good.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

IBM have their own model and professional services. If we pay for IBM DataPower, we have to pay additional fees for the professional services from the IBM team.

What other advice do I have?

We are planning to move away from IBM to use a different system for a number of reasons including security concerns, authorization, authentication and to save costs for the organization.

I would recommend those considering using this solution to get a partnership with IBM rather than being a regular customer. It is also important to build the required skill sets for employees within an organization.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Yapı Kredi şirketinde Application Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
    A robust solution with good security and troubleshooting features
    • "The solution is robust."
    • "For the workloads that are not too high, appliance is a little bit expensive."

What is our primary use case?

Initially, we used IBM DataPower XI52, but have since switched versions. The operating system versions were different. We are using the appliance version.

We primarily use the solution for the integration and security gateway for opening the services outside company.

What is most valuable?

The solution is robust. We use the appliance version, which comes with good security features and trouble shooting tools. So, we are happy with the IBM DataPower. We are currently evaluating the CA product, especially as it concerns the API management. As such, we may choose to use the API management modules of the CA Gateway.

What needs improvement?

For the workloads that are not too high, appliance is a little bit expensive. This is especially true in the development test and UAT environment, in which we can use the virtual version of the product. For live environments, we can continue to use the appliances.

We have been using IBM DataPower Gateway for eight years.

The appliance is a bit on the expensive side for the workloads that are not too high. This is especially true in the development test and UAT environment.

What other advice do I have?

Improvements have already been made to the solution. For example, we wish to use the virtual version of the DataPower next year and will likely do so with all of our applications within a few years.

When it comes to the deployment, we use the appliance version of the product with IBM DataPower. Yet, with other applications, are cloud-based.

I rate IBM DataPower Gateway as a nine out of ten.

Ismail El-Dahshan - PeerSpot reviewer
    Digital Transformation Expert at IDSC
    A perfect product that provides excellent security

What is our primary use case?

I mainly use DataPower Gateway for security and integration of web services.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the security appliance, it's very secure.

What needs improvement?

The admin and user interfaces could be improved.

I've been working with this solution since 2014.

The scalability is good, though I haven't needed to scale up much.

The initial setup isn't so easy, you need who has experience working with the solution to help.

We use a professional service to implement this solution.

What other advice do I have?

DataPower Gateway is a perfect product, and I would recommend using it because it provides a lot of benefits. I'd rate this solution as nine out of ten.

IBM