Senior Executive at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to use, accessible, and offers a free tier of service
  • "All you need is a laptop or mobile device and a connection to the internet."
  • "There were times on the free version where I wasn't done the meeting and it just took me out. They need to give more time."

What is most valuable?

The pricing is good if you have multi-stations or multi-users accessing it. It's got a free tier and is easy to use.

The one thing I like about Zoom is that you don't need to do anything by phone. All you need is a laptop or mobile device and a connection to the internet. Now you just use the computers and can use the audio, speaker, and microphone that are already there. You don't need a separate phone like as to do for Webex.

What needs improvement?

The issue is the amount of time you can use the product on the free version. They are limiting Zoom for 50 minutes, maybe. There were times on the free version where I wasn't done the meeting and it just took me out. They need to give more time.

The performance and the quality of the picture could be better. They should work on making it faster as well. When you are using it at home, the bandwidth can be slowed down if someone else is using your connection. They need to have better compression.

It asks for a membership ID sometimes. The security needs to be better and more consistent. I'm not sure how they are making sure that everything is secure.

I'd like to be able to do multi-sessions and bring people into the conference call quickly. I'd like to be able to say, if we have a few people in the session, "okay, I just want to talk to person A and B" and have the other people leave the space for a minute and then be able to come back in. It would be great if there were middle rooms of some sort where people could come in and out quickly.

I've used the solution for almost a year now.

I have not had any contact with technical support. Technical support is bad everywhere due to the fact that it's just on the internet and they don't have enough manpower to support everyone properly. When you try to reach you cannot get a human being.

Zoom
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Zoom. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We also used WebEx. It used to be really good, however, they cluttered it and really messed it up.

The solution has a free tier, which is what I use. I don't pay anything.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. I'm happy with its capabilities.

Senior Executive at a leisure / travel company with 201-500 employees
Good performance with a free version and an easy installation process
  • "The product is usable and very straightforward."
  • "I'd like to have the recording functionality in the free version so that we don't need any licensing in order to access it."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use it for myself and for checking. I use it for organizing teams.

What is most valuable?

The performance is very good. We haven't had any stability issues.

The scalability is great.

The product is usable and very straightforward.

Overall, the installation process is very simple.

There is a free version of the product.

What needs improvement?

I don't think any other improvement is required at the moment.

You do need permissions to be recorded. I'd like to have the recording functionality in the free version so that we don't need any licensing in order to access it.

The free version allows only for approximately 45-minute meetings.

They need to be able to integrate it with other applications, such as, for example, Facebook, so that you could schedule meetings more effectively.

I've been using the solution for three years. It's been a while at this point.

The solution is stable. The performance has always been good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. it's reliable.

I've found the solution to be scalable for my purposes. It's never been an issue.

I do not have plans to increase usage at this time.

I don't really require the assistance of technical support. Having never talked to them, I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

I use both Zoom and Google Meets. The quality of Zoom is better than Google. That said, Google Meets is pretty commonly used.

The installation process is straightforward and not overly complex. You just click through the prompts and you are ready to go.

You can handle the installation yourself. It's very easy. I didn't need an integrator or consultant to assist me.

They have options for personal use, or we can have co-hosts, which we can assign.

The licensing is cheap and we can pay for it on a monthly basis.

I use the free version. I don't pay a licensing fee at this time.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Overall, I am satisfied with the capabilities of the product.

I would recommend the solution to other users.

Zoom
November 2022
656,474 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Free to use, easy to set up, and makes it simple to connect for remote meetings
  • "It's pretty easy to connect to anybody through a scheduled meeting."
  • "Sound is not an issue, however, with video I've always had issues when using the free service."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use this to remotely talk with people. I use it personally now, however, I did use it at my previous company.

What is most valuable?

It's pretty easy to connect to anybody through a scheduled meeting. It typically goes well with just sound.

The initial setup is simple.

There is a free tier so that you don't need to pay to use Zoom (with some limitations).

What needs improvement?

Mostly it's been fine. There are just a few issues that I've noticed. For example, if I'm speaking with friends, it's through the free Zoom application, not the paid tier. There usually tends to be some issues that I have on my end consistently with camera reception. Even when all the features on my end are enabled, there are still issues with being able to even see myself. Sound is not an issue, however, with video I've always had issues when using the free service.

I use Zoom occasionally, from time to time.

I've never tried to scale the product. I can't speak to how easy or hard it would be.

I've never used technical support. I don't know if they are responsive when you need their help.

The initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not hard to deploy it. Everything is easy to implement.

I tend to use the free tier. I can't speak to how much the paid tiers cost.

What other advice do I have?

I don't have a business relationship with Zoom.

I tend to use the latest version of the solution, however, I don't use Zoom frequently anymore. I don't know which version of the solution I'm on.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. Being able to work is kind of the prime objective of most applications. This tends to do that with the exception of video, which I've had too many issues with. The two times I've used it, I had that issue. When I used to work for a hedge fund and some tech startups, it always used to work. That was on the paid tier which makes me wonder if it's just the free tier that's a bit weaker. In general, however, it works well.

Account Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy, simple to use, and very intuitive
  • "The initial setup is very simple."
  • "The recording capabilities may not be as good as WebEx, however, I can't be sure about that just yet."

What is our primary use case?

Right now, due to COVID, the pandemic, most customers don't have any face-to-face meetings. We use web conferencing in its place. Some use Zoom for this kind of work. We have almost daily meetings with some customers using Zoom. Basically, it's perfect for one-to-one or small group meetings that can happen remotely.

What is most valuable?

The solution is really easy to install and configure.

The product is very easy to use. It's an intuitive product and it has a lot of usability, which is very, very good.

The initial setup is very simple.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

What needs improvement?

I haven't explored all the features. Therefore, it's hard to discuss anything that may be missing.

I'm not sure if Zoom is also offering hardware the way that WebEx can. If not, it may be something that they should consider.

I've used the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The stability is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

Scalability is possible. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

Everyone in our company is currently using this product. Our customers also use it, and it seems to be their preferred product when it comes to video conferencing.

We haven't had any issues with technical support. They are okay.

I also use WebEx. Our customers mostly use and prefer Zoom, which is why we end up using it more often in our day-to-day.

The implementation process is very, very easy. From the user's point of view, it's easy due to the fact that it's in the cloud. A company shouldn't have any problem trying to install it.

Since we do not need to host the solution ourselves, there isn't maintenance required.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and an end-user.

We're using the most recent version of the product.

I'd advise other users to try it out. It's very easy to deploy and simple to use.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Sr. Sales Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Easy to set up, very reliable, and offers many great backgrounds
  • "The solution is stable and reliable."
  • "The solution could be a bit more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

I use the solution for meetings with friends or catching up with friends.

There are also some events I go to, which use to be physical, and now are virtual. There's a public speaking platform, a public speaking course that I participate in called Toastmaster.

I also use the product for work calls with vendors or prospective clients.

What is most valuable?

I enjoy the background options on offer.

The initial setup is straightforward.

The solution is stable and reliable.

The scalability has been good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be a bit more user-friendly. Microsoft Teams, for example, is easier.

The stability could be a bit better. I find Microsoft Teams to be more stable.

The security could be stronger.

I've been using Zoom for two years.

The solution is reliable and the performance is good. I've never had stability issues. It doesn't crash or freeze. There aren't bugs or glitches.

From what I have seen so far, the scalability is good. A company can easily expand it if they need to.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they would be if you needed help.

I'm also using Microsoft Teams. I prefer using Teams, as I'm more used to it and I find it more stable, and also more user-friendly.

The initial implementation process was very simple and straightforward. It was not a complex or difficult process.

The initial setup was handled with the help of my IT team.

We pay a yearly licensing fee. We have an internal team that deals with licensing, and therefore I can's speak to any extra costs involved.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a generic user. I don't have a business relationship with Zoom.

I am using a current version of the solution.

I would recommend them to use Teams for a professional setup, as it's more stable and more user-friendly. From what I understand, there are more security measures there, since it's a Microsoft product. I prefer that.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Enoch Damtse - PeerSpot reviewer
Bachelor of Science - BSField Of StudyMechanical Engineering at University of Energy and Natural Resources
Grid-view, selective muting, and audio-only options have helped continue work when we can't meet in person
  • "The grid view option is great, as you get to see everyone who is in the video conference at the same time."
  • "I would like to see something like a virtual board or conference room where participants are seated around a virtual table, and pictures of them sitting on the chair or an avatar that the user can choose and control within that virtual world."

What is our primary use case?

I mostly use the software for lectures and it has been really helpful. I use it for group studies, assignments, and business meetings.

My team and I had to finish a project within that period and since we couldn't meet, we usually collaborated on Zoom. We met with ourselves and sometimes with our supervisor and we were able to finish the project days before the lockdown was lifted. We were happy that we were able to achieve this goal, as it was very difficult for others.

How has it helped my organization?

Since the lockdown began and my partners and I were not able to step out for business meetings, Zoom came in handy and we were able to accomplish many feats within that period. These included project management, project completion, and project counseling.

Now, we don't have to go out and meet unless it cannot be avoided. With the inception of Zoom, we are able to collaborate anytime, anywhere, any day. We are able to achieve just as much as we would have if we were meeting and sometimes we are able to get a lot more done.

What is most valuable?

I like the feature that you can select a particular member and see them on the full screen.

Video conferencing is great but Zoom has been on a different level. I like that feature that gives the host permission to mute everyone except themselves, and then unmute them anytime they need someone to talk

In order to save bandwidth, the feature of turning off video has been really great. We can switch them to audio-only when the video is not necessary.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see something like a virtual board or conference room where participants are seated around a virtual table, and pictures of them sitting on the chair or an avatar that the user can choose and control within that virtual world. This would allow the participants to somehow move around, talk to others privately just like you'd meet someone at the office, or talk to colleagues before a conference or board meeting starts.

Being able to edit Google Docs in Zoom would be helpful. For example, co-editing a file with a colleague using Zoom would be nice.

I've started using zoom since the first pandemic was initiated and I've been using it ever since.

CI Senior Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Easy to set up, user-friendly, and has been problem-free
  • "The solution is easy to scale."
  • "They may need to scale it some more in terms of global users."

What is our primary use case?

The product is one of our prime platforms for delivering remote services.

What is most valuable?

The main feature I like with Zoom is that it allows me to do remote control and get access to the system so I have remote hands that I don't have to depend on the customer or the client to do things for me. They just give me access and I would be able to do what I need to do. That's one of the good features there. It also allowed me to easily transfer files back and forth.

The solution is very user-friendly.

The solution is easy to scale.

As long as you have good connectivity, the stability is good.

The initial setup is simple.

What needs improvement?

If a user has bad connectivity, Zoom will not work well.

I can't say anything is lacking. Overall it's pretty sufficient.

They may need to scale it some more in terms of global users.

Stability is pretty good, and the performance is decent. However, it's very dependant on the connectivity If the connectivity is poor, the stability won't be so good.

Scalability is possible with oom. It's not a problem to expand it as necessary.

When we do training, we can add quite a bit of people. We've never had an issue during training sessions.

Right now, everybody in our organization uses Zoom.

We've never needed the assistance of technical support Everything is pretty straightforward. The solution is problem-free.

I'm also familiar with Microsoft Teams. Given what it is now, Zoom is pretty different from stuff like Teams. Teams is very corporate and as far as remote control and stuff are a lot more restrictive. It's not as user-friendly when coming into those types of things.

I'm just part of corporate. I don't know the exact cost of the license. I can't really speak to that.

What other advice do I have?

I don't know what version I use is. It gets updated every time I use it, therefore, it is likely the latest version.

Zoom is the way to go. I haven't had any issues with it.

I would rate the solution at a ten out of ten.

Presales Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Good communication and performance, but the time limit in the free version should be removed or increased
  • "The sharing and recording, are the most valuable features of Zoom."
  • "Whiteboarding would allow me to utilize the screen to draw something, explain, and write something."

What is our primary use case?

I am a pre-sales consultant.

I use the basic features in Zoom, to have conversations with clients,  show some presentations, and for sharing. I'm not a very advanced user.

What is most valuable?

The sharing and recording, are the most valuable features of Zoom.

What needs improvement?

If whiteboarding is not available, it would be beneficial. I'm not sure if it exists. If I can do some whiteboard sessions, that would be great.

Whiteboarding would allow me to utilize the screen to draw something, explain, and write something.

I have been working with Zoom for two years.

The corporation updates this solution on a regular basis.

Zoom is a stable solution.

I'm not sure about scalability because I didn't host that many people on it, so I can't really comment on scalability or how well it performs when there are a lot of attendees and sessions. I really don't have the experience.

I have not contacted technical support.

It is maintained by my company; I am a user who does not get involved in the technical aspects.

I am exploring Microsoft, but Studio is no longer supported.

I have some experience with Microsoft Teams and Zoom.

I use Teams a lot and prefer it to Zoom simply because I'm more comfortable with it and there's no time limit. I don't need to worry about when my meeting ends.

The initial setup is simple, it's straightforward.

Zoom is maintained by my corporate IT team. I am a user, I use this solution.

What I don't like is the 45-minute time limit on the free subscription. Teams, on the other hand, do not operate in this manner. You can utilize as much use of Teams as you want. There are no time limits in the free version of Teams.

It is included with your Office 365 subscription. If you have Office 365, which everyone does, it is included. You can't use Word, Excel, or PowerPoint without it.

The free version has a time limit, but paid subscriptions are available.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Zoom a seven out of ten.