Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

ZoneAlarm OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

ZoneAlarm is #11 ranked solution in top Anti-Malware Tools. PeerSpot users give ZoneAlarm an average rating of 8.4 out of 10. ZoneAlarm is most commonly compared to Microsoft Defender for Endpoint: ZoneAlarm vs Microsoft Defender for Endpoint. ZoneAlarm is popular among the midsize enterprise segment, accounting for 42% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 36% of all views.
ZoneAlarm Buyer's Guide

Download the ZoneAlarm Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is ZoneAlarm?

ZoneAlarm protects you by preventing hackers from remotely accessing and controlling your device, and lets you know which apps have excessive permissions so you can decide whether they threaten your privacy.

ZoneAlarm Customers

Terma, Optix, Samsung Research Amercia, SF Police Credit Union, Independence Care System, Mattias Thomsen, Carmel Partners, Desert Research Institute, CRIF, FXCM Inc, US State Agency

ZoneAlarm Video

Archived ZoneAlarm Reviews (more than two years old)

Oleg Pekar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Network/Security Engineer at Skywind Group
A regularly-updated and cost-effective way to secure against BYOD threats
  • "Personally, I find the Game Mode of the Firewall very useful."
  • "Some of our users say that the interface is a little bit outdated for 2020, and want it to be more modern and cozy."

What is our primary use case?

We use ZoneAlarm Antivirus with Firewall software for protecting the Bring-Your-Own-Devices that our employees take to the offices, and for a limited number of teams only since it is not an approved corporative standard software yet. In total, there are about 150 laptops of different kinds with several generations of the Windows operating systems running ZoneAlarm.

Currently, we use the Free version of Zone Alarm and not the Extreme Security edition. As for the free solution, ZoneAlarm provides good security capabilities. We use both Firewall and Antivirus, with regular scans and updates scheduled.

How has it helped my organization?

Our organization does not have a dedicated budget for the BYOD endpoint security software, so we have to stick with the free solutions available on the market.

ZoneAlarm Antivirus with Firewall software is a good match for protecting the Windows-only environments of our company's offices, and now we have been using it for about two years.

It has not only the firewall functions but a constantly updated Antivirus, and even an advanced Anti-Malware blade. Nobody else that we know of provides that for free.

Of course, it does not have centralized management, but that is not expected from the free software.

What is most valuable?

1. The software is completely free, but you could always buy & apply a license if you feel the need for it.
  2. Despite the name, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is not just a firewall but has built-in Antivirus as well. The Antivirus databases are updated on a regular basis, and they also provide both on-demand and scheduled scanning of the file system and memory.
  3. Constant updates of the "software blades", per configured schedule.
  4. Personally, I find the Game Mode of the Firewall very useful. When it's enabled, all the scan/updates/alerts are suppressed, and I can enjoy playing without interruptions.

What needs improvement?

1. Currently, there are only the clients available for the Windows operating systems family. It would be nice to have the software version with the same functionality for the macOS operating system.
  2. There is no centralized management software for the free version of ZoneAlarm.
  3. Some of our users say that the interface is a little bit outdated for 2020, and want it to be more modern and cozy.
  4. Minor issues with the performance have been reported for the really old laptops that lack the free RAM available.
ZoneAlarm
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about ZoneAlarm. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using ZoneAlarm for about two years.

The antivirus and firewall are stable and work smoothly on the Windows laptops.

Previously, we didn't have a security policy for having the antivirus and firewall on the BYOD devices.

The setup was easy and straightforward, no pitfalls have been met.

The implementation was performed by the in-house team, no special skills or knowledge is required for the Zone Alarm.

We use the free version of the software, but it can be upgraded to the paid Extreme Security edition.

We tried Sophos and Comodo as well, but the users voted for ZoneAlarm after the PoC.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend ZoneAlarm as a simple but efficient solution, especially if your organization doesn't have a dedicated budget for providing a security solution for BYOD devices.

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall is a good choice for protecting Windows-only environments on the user PCs, but you should also have network-layer protection.

it_user1065 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager of Data Center at a integrator with 51-200 employees
A full package for all your internet security and virus issues

Valuable Features:

Pros of ZoneAlarm are- 1) Two way firewall 2) Antivirus/Antispyware 3) Advanced Download Protection 4) Parental Controls 5) Anti-Rootkit 6) Anti-Spam 7) Trojan, Malware, Keylogger Protection 8) Web and Application worm protection

Room for Improvement:

Few cons of ZoneAlarm are- 1) Updating ZoneAlarm is a problem at times 2) Longer scanning completion times 3) Increased PC shutdown time 4) The interface is inconsistent at times 5) Uses significant amount of system resources while updating the antivirus

Other Advice:

ZoneAlarm is one of the best rated security products from Checkpoint, which comprises of inbuilt antivirus, anti spyware, anti phishing, and advanced threat protection features. It is has few unique features such as virtual and private browsing, hard drive encryption and identity protection. It has very little impact on system resources such CPU and RAM and also has the capability of credit report monitoring.
ZoneAlarm
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
it_user981 - PeerSpot reviewer
Manager of Development at a tech company with 51-200 employees
A simple firewall security solution for personal desktops

Valuable Features:

User friendly design and interface Easy to setup and create rules It is not just a firewall, it provides intrusion detection and web filtering as well It is NAT-friendly, that is it can work behind proxies

Room for Improvement:

It creates a lot of popups, which can sometimes become frustrating Its simplicity makes it suitable for small scale end users, but it is not complex enough for implementing a large scale enterprise security solution The pro version, with many important features, is a bit expensive

Other Advice:

I have used it in the past for personal desktops and for systems at small startups, but I would not recommend it as an enterprise level firewall security solution.
it_user1068 - PeerSpot reviewer
it_user1068Tech Support Staff at a tech company with 51-200 employees

There is a time we had a problem with identity theft. One of our company accounts had been hacked and the hacker was using it, posing to be from our company. I tried several firewall programs and antiviruses that did not work. I did a research and found some good articles and recommendations on Zone Alarm system. Luckily for us, it worked and the problem was solved. All we did was change our log in details. In addition to being a good anti-virus, it is also an excellent firewall program for endpoint computers.

Download our free ZoneAlarm Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022