We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why

Workday OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Workday is #2 ranked solution in top Cloud HCM tools, #3 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools, #3 ranked solution in top Talent Management tools, and #3 ranked solution in top Talent Acquisition tools. PeerSpot users give Workday an average rating of 8 out of 10. Workday is most commonly compared to SAP SuccessFactors: Workday vs SAP SuccessFactors. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
What is Workday?

Workday is a cloud-based software solution that specializes in developing applications for capital and finance management applications. The system is built to work in global workforces and is adaptable. The global system ensures that users are up to date and can manage internal career-related information, and everyday business problems like timesheets, payrolls, and time off.

“A Pioneer in Software-as-a-Service”

Workday Human Capital Management tool is designed to simplify and streamline your work. It leverages machine learning to adapt capital management to a changing environment.

The Workday model is based on delivering a single system that uses a single source of data and a single security model to deliver a unique user experience. The system is user-friendly and ensures that employees and management can use it from any and all devices. Workday HCM integrates into a central system that includes financial management, payroll, recruiting, learning, and planning. Managers and employees can provide feedback to one another, too.

Workday’s features include:

• Flexible framework that lets you organize your staff according to different criteria. You can group employees by function, hierarchy, or department.
  • Personalized career guidance: Knowledge management and career guidance that can be easily customized for each staff member and also done at scale.
  • Augmented reporting and analytics: Configure, change, update, and publish reports, scorecards, and dashboards. The system centralizes the transactional and analytical data so you can act on the data from anywhere.
  • Compensation tools: Compensatio, payroll, and time tracking are automated and simplified.
  • Workforce planning allows you to uncover and address talent gaps and get visibility of your staff.
  • Mobile-first ensign approach: Users can access all resources from any device, and they are always in sync.
  • Machine learning capabilities enable personalized enterprise experiences and faster business processes.

Workday smart platform consists of the following modules:

• Human resource management
  • Talent management
  • Survey framework
  • Employee and management self-service

Reviews from Real Users

Many organizations choose Workday because it provides an all-in-one modular solution for human capital and finance management. Our users say they like the ease of use for time-off requests, career and development segments, and overall HR management. The records and reporting capabilities are another popular feature.

"The solution was very good at reconfiguration and customization of their software. It helped us to meet federal regulations," said one user. Another said that the best feature is the optimization of the work day experience with a unified platform that can be applied across different business units. “You will never find a use case that cannot be covered," said a third.

Workday Buyer's Guide

Download the Workday Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2022

Workday Customers

AAA, Allied Global, Avago Technologies Limited, Aviva, Cardinal Health, CareFusion, Chiquita Brands International, Equifax, Flextronics, HP, Life Time Fitness, McKee Foods, MGM Resorts International, Sanofi, ServiceSource International, Symantec, TripAdvisor, Yahoo!

Workday Video

Archived Workday Reviews (more than two years old)

NickStuchbery
Lead Consultant, Owner at Dodai Consulting Corp
Flexible solution with many valuable features like Business Processes, Human Capital Management, and Financial Management
  • "This product is leaps and bounds above the competition. Part of the reason is that it is built with modern technology. It has no legacy coding in it at all."
  • "It is good that much of the development is based on community input but often that can lead to details being ignored and small, nagging issues are ignored."

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant. I configure and consult with clients who ask me about solutions, how to use products, how to help them to implement the solutions, how to improve the deployment and performance, and how to give them the solutions they need. Workday is one of the better solutions we can provide.

How has it helped my organization?

Workday gives us another option for providing solutions to our clients that they need for managing and improving their business practices.

What is most valuable?

The feature I think that is the most attractive is the security. But there are other features that are valuable as well, such as the BP (Business Processes) — like the social security business processes — the HCM (Human Capital Management) modeling component, Absence (for monitoring time and attendance), Payroll (for payroll processing), Financial Management (core financial management) and the Benefits module (self service employee benefits management). All of those take care of essential business needs.

What needs improvement?

In essence, I think that all areas of the product have the potential to improve even if they are good already. At the same time, from one release to the next, Workday makes the effort to improve the product. The company has two updates per year. The product is always getting better with each release. If there was anything specific that I thought of that I would improve, it would be the Benefits domain and the advanced computations.

What clients seem to respond to as being in need of attention and want to see developed for the program is apparent in the community cooperation. Workday uses the community to brainstorm and collect feedback and drive innovation. To work with brainstorming, you go to the community and you create a brainstorm (propose an idea and enhancement), and then people in the community vote on it. You get votes and rankings based on response to your ideas. I think Workday is quite proud of the large percentage (40% or so) of what comes out in their releases comes from brainstorms and client feedback. There are tons of things that people propose and say they want in the product in upcoming releases. Workday does this for the customers and suggestions do get put into the product. I've never heard of something like this being done with any other product.

There are other enhancements that go untended that have been languishing for years. I am interested in one feature now and the development just is not spending the time to fix it. They are good but they are not perfect. You can see that they are trying to meet client needs. Using that as an example, you can only put a certain task in certain BPs. Additional data can only be an action item in a few business processes like Hire, Change Job, etcetera. The idea is that users would like the option for the additional data to be available in other areas.

Another example is the default field in Questionnaires. People have asked that the field not be required as a default. Little things like this you can workaround, but it's the little things that are kind of nice. On the other hand, little things get less attention in brainstorming so they get less attention in development.

We have been using the solution for five-and-a half-years

I would say that it is a very stable product.

I think it is extremely scalable if you have the money for it. You can have 5 employees using it or you can have 300,000 employees on it all using Workday globally. Scalability isn't a problem.

The customer service is pretty responsive and there is also a pretty good community. The Workday community is a closed user community guided by Workday but mostly comprised of user contributions. There are Workday contributions, questions, guides, administrative discussions, support — all that sort of thing. Users really invest time to help each other and it is a great support system. No other product has something quite like that. The Workday technical customer support system is in addition to and above-and-beyond that. It really provides a broader opportunity to learn and contribute.

The installation is complex. There are two reasons for this. One is that you need a Workday partner to implement the setup for you. In order to be a partner, you have to have an organization or group of consultants who are trained by Workday to implement the product and support it. It is a closed environment and Workday keeps everything pretty much in check. It is complex in the fact that you have to have somebody — either Workday or a Workday partner — implement it for you.

The deployment will usually anywhere from three months to 12 months or more. It depends on the number of users or the number of modules and how complex the expectations are for the implementation. All the different flavors of how complicated an organization wants the implementation to be — all that becomes a factor in the length of the deployment.

The number of people required for maintenance on Workday varies around the same sort of desire for complexity. You usually have at least one person in-house to watch the implementation and you will have a contract with somebody to supply you with support. That might be a partner contracted for 800 hours a year or whatever the specific terms might be. Then you "lose it as you use it" or you have an ongoing maintenance contract with somebody.

Licensing costs are tiered. When you add different modules, it adds to your cost. For example, you can pay for Payroll functionality or you pay for the Benefits module. The more pieces you add, the more you pay.

I can't say what a particular company may value or see as a true return on investment. I would say that it is expensive — it is the most expensive one out there. In my opinion, you would get a clear return on investment. Different businesses would account for that in different ways.

Our clients like to look at some of the bigger names like PeopleSoft, Ceridian's Dayforce, and maybe a few other major competing products. Workday beats them all. In my opinion, they are leaps and bounds above the competition. Part of the reason is that it is built with modern technology. It has no legacy coding in it at all.

What other advice do I have?

I've been in the HR/Payroll product domain for about 25 years, so I've been involved in the development of Ceridian's applications and other companies as well. I know a lot about other products and competitors.

Workday is a bit different, but I love it. You get used to it. It is like back-in-the-day when HR and the payroll system used to be the determining factor in whether you got to have a company laptop or not.

One piece of advice to anyone considering this as a solution is to implement it properly. Spend the time and do it right the first time. Don't rush the requirements, don't skip steps just to get to a stage of deployment. Do your requirements properly. Consider everything beforehand. Don't leave things till later that you should do now. It will be worth the extra time that you invest. That is really true for everyone and every implementation, but especially for Workday. Trying to go back in after the fact and change things is just really complicated and it is a real pain. Skipping steps to get it implemented is a big thing that we notice that clients do.

We have often had to go back and fix something that a client overlooked or looked past. There's always something changing, there's always something that wasn't done correctly. There's always some tweaking afterward. The more tweaking you avoid by doing it right, the less you pay to get it fixed.

After releases, 99 percent of the time it is great and it will not introduce issues. In my experience, it is really rare for issues to crop up or that those issues are so extreme that a client will have to roll an upgrade back. I find that the releases are really well-tested and well-managed. They have two releases a year and in those two releases, they are usually pretty good at getting new features out there.

On a scale from one to ten with one being the worst and ten being the best, I would rate Workday as an 8. Having had 25 years of being involved in the development of other Ceridian products, the development of some other products and having to work with PeopleSoft as a customer, Workday is right there with the best of them.

Partner - Co-Founder at a marketing services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Good open architecture and is able to interconnect with other systems
  • "It's actually a cloud-native solution and based on the community for development. It is a very good open architecture and able to interconnect with other systems. And it is very stable and very fast in terms of response."
  • "Reporting systems should be improved. If you want to report it on paper, if you want something more BI oriented, more high level predictive or more data-driven, it should be improved."

What is our primary use case?

I'm doing high-level research - I analyze the HCM market for some academic research. So, it's not really a business initiative.

What is most valuable?

Stability in one single version is the most valuable feature of this solution. It's actually a cloud-native solution and based on the community for development. It is a very good open architecture and able to interconnect with other systems. And it is very stable and very fast in terms of response.

What needs improvement?

Reporting system should be improved. It is quite static based on historical data. It misses features relative with predictive analytics. For the data-driven organization, it is not on par. The second area that needs improvement is localization with the different jurisdictions.

I've worked with Workday for two years.

It is very stable and fast in terms of response.

It is highly scalable.

I was completely satisfied with the technical support, the interface, and the performance.

It was local and basically all spread, so each country used their own local HR system. So we didn't replace HCM by HCM.

I am just a consultant and we don't have any formal association with any software vendor for ethical principles.

I was completely satisfied with the technical support. There are no bugs or performance issues.

I have used SAP HCM and Oracle Taleo.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Workday. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The business process framework is excellent and the solution is very scalable
  • "The solution is extremely stable."
  • "Setting up reports can be a bit tricky."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case will be different for each company, but we use it for HTM and reporting. We use it to consolidate your HR system into one source of data. That's generally why people want to implement Workday, so they can have one source of data for better collaboration and reporting and C-level reports, stats and things like that.

What is most valuable?

The business process framework is excellent. You can create a business process very easily using the drag and drops. You don't need to get an IT consultant to be able to use Workday, you can have people in the business that aren't IT consultants putting new works processes together. So that's really good to use. The Workday experience is definitely the best on the market. There's no doubt about that.

What needs improvement?

Something that can be improved, is legislation within a country. There's something about paying dues in the country for legal requirement that's provided by SAP success factors, but it's not the case with Workday.

Another thing that can be better, is the flexibility of the screens. Sometimes I find it hard to customize the screen and that is quite frustrating. But that's actually one of their selling points as well. So they are pretty good, I have to say.

Setting up reports can be a bit tricky, and I've also noticed that integration with payroll can sometimes be an issue with Workday.

I've been using Workday for about six months now.

The solution is extremely stable.

The scalability is not a problem and it's very scalable. It is condensed so that it can grow with your company. People usually think that Workday could only be used for large companies, but actually it can be just as good for growing medium-sized companies. The solution can easily scale because of the business process framework.

I've read on the reviews that the technical support is good, but I haven't used them yet.

Workday is an expensive solution.

We looked at SAP SuccessFactors and in terms of the functional checklists, they're very similar. So if you've got a company and if you look at the functional requirements list or business requirements list, generally they will both meet the requirements of their customer. Workday definitely has the edge in terms of the user experience side of things. If you want to be a bit more flexible in terms of your customizations, then success factors are definitely more flexible and there are a lot more opportunities to customize your requirements, but that's not always a good thing. I would say that, in terms of collaboration with other customers' work, they've probably got the edge on that. SAP's success factors isn't quite as good with a full team, although they are good from the reporting side of it. So I think it really depends on each customer or each client's needs. It depends on what your requirements are and what you're looking for in terms of maintenance going forward, and in having a simple a fit.

With Workday you know there's one source of data that works and you literally have one pocket of data that you can pull from, and that makes reporting a lot easier. The user experience is better because of this one source of data.

But Workday is very expensive. So the question I always ask, is if there is really that much more that you're getting from Workday based on how much you're spending.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others would be to make sure that they understand their requirements. They must have detailed process requirements, and if they see some gaps, they should identify those gaps up front. Workday can be flexible in this regard, so customers should understand what they need to do.

On a scale of one to ten, my rating for this solution is a nine. In the next version I would like to see a simpler user interface to create reports.

Co-CIO & Enterprise Architect at a printing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has good performance and usability but it is missing certain functionalities
  • "Performance and good usability are the two most valuable features of this solution."
  • "It has missing functionalities. Specific countries, like Germany, didn't have the option to do payroll. Now we need to look for another product for HR."

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

It has missing functionalities. Specific countries, like Germany, didn't have the option to do payroll. Now we need to look for another product for HR. Then it becomes complicated because then it takes time to integrate. The workforce management also needs improvement.

In the next release, I would like a complete full-stack for HR, especially payroll abilities in all countries. At a high-level, this solution has everything else that is needed.

I used Workday for around two to three years before I left my company.

It's very stable. We haven't had big problems with it.

It's absolutely scalable. It's a cloud solution, it's built for scalability. This product is built for the cloud which is why it's extremely scalable.

Customers said that they have a good knowledge-base community.

The initial setup was easy. It's on the cloud, so you just set how many users you need and they activate it and that's it.

The setup normally takes around a week. The time it takes depends on the technicalities and functionalities.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Workday a seven out of ten. No software would get a ten because there is no existing software on the market that is perfect.

Head of People Experience Operations at PEXA
Improves efficiency and provides a nice user experience

What is our primary use case?

This is our one system for data and analytics, which is mobile-enabled and has a nice UX.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has allowed leaders to self-serve. We have fewer systems, less manual data entry, and less processing.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the HCM, where all of the information and processes are in one place.

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of complexity in the configuration of this solution.

Three years.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There is a lot of complexity in the configuration of this solution.

Three years.
Payroll Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can store all the employee data information on it. However, we can't do our own reporting.
  • "It stores everything for the employee. It has also been able to store the information that we use for our payroll demand."
  • "It is quite user-friendly."
  • "They don't have worker payroll in the product. We have to solve our payroll. I hope one day they will be able to have their own localized standard payrolls for all countries."
  • "In terms of reporting, we have to rely on a consultant to do the report customization. The most important thing is to be able to do your own reporting, which it can't do. We rely so much on our consultant to customize reports for us."
  • "For time management, it does not have a calendar generator. For example, if you want to have a shift calendar for an entire year, you need to push the entire year's calendar into the system instead of being able to generate it using a time management pattern."

What is our primary use case?

It is our HR source of data. It performs okay.

How has it helped my organization?

It stores everything for the employee. It has also been able to store the information that we use for our payroll demand.

What is most valuable?

It is quite user-friendly. We can store all the employee data information on it.

What needs improvement?

I cannot really use Workday, because they don't have worker payroll in the product. We have to solve our payroll. I hope one day they will be able to have their own localized standard payrolls for all countries.

In terms of reporting, we have to rely on a consultant to do the report customization. If we have an employee who is working for two or three countries, we don't have a simple global employee number to keep track of them, because then you have to use a separate employee number for different countries.

The most important thing is to be able to do your own reporting, which it can't do. We rely so much on our consultant to customize reports for us. Also, if you want to have authorization of certain roles, there is a lot of inflexibility in how the authorizations can be set.

For time management, it does not have a calendar generator. For example, if you want to have a shift calendar for an entire year, you need to push the entire year's calendar into the system instead of being able to generate it using a time management pattern.

More than five years.

It is stable.

You must have your internal technical support people be able to follow up after you have gone live. The reason is because there are many things that you can't do as a user, and you need someone to support you technically. Things like customized reporting, user authorizations, and implementation of new modules needs to have someone who is able to do the technicality of your configurations or your customization for you after you have gone live.

We did have another solution previously. We switched because we required something that was available regionally in order for us to keep track of employee data.

With a bigger budget, I would recommend SAP.

I actually preferred SAP HCM. Comparatively, I felt that SAP HCM is more comprehensive, cost competitive, and the salary and payroll in the country is available. It has more in-depth functions that you can actually use, including doing a hot query in SAP. You can even use the data within the system to turn up a report easily without having to depend on a technical consultant to do the customization for you.

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• It works for all the countries that we have.
  • We are able to implement it.
  • It can handle all the necessary modules within the system, such as authorization of benefits and time management.
Anthony Collier
Senior Director Services Engineering at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Features pre-built integration interfaces for specific vendors, pre-built generic integrations to extract/push data
  • "Provides flexibility to integrate with the product. It has several tools, out-of-the-box, for integrations. It delivers pre-built interfaces for specific vendors, pre-built generic integrations to extract or push data into Workday through configuration."
  • "It's a fully consolidated system. All the transactions and configuration are co-located in one fully in-memory system, so there is no need to go to different data sources (multiple DBs) to pull data; it’s all in one place."
  • "Analytical tools have needed improvement. Workday has just released Prism Analytics, to replace the current analytical tools, so it’s in the early stages."

How has it helped my organization?

• By leveraging the business process framework that the product delivers, and the built-in workflow, it has forced individuals to be more accountable to their managers and employees.
  • It also enforces cleaner data; you cannot just push data into the system without validations.
  • There is no need for SQL updates to a database to fix data issues.

What is most valuable?

The flexibility to integrate with the product. It has several tools, out-of-the-box, for integrations. It delivers pre-built interfaces for specific vendors, pre-built generic integrations to extract or push data into Workday through configuration.

Workday also delivers tools that allow you to build your own custom interfaces.  So for me it is the ease of integration with the product.

In addition to the integration tools, I would also say the system being a fully consolidated system. All the transactions and configuration are co-located in one fully in-memory system, so there is no need to go to different data sources (multiple DBs) to pull data; it’s all in one place.

What needs improvement?

Analytical tools have needed improvement. Workday has just released Prism Analytics, to replace the current analytical tools, so it’s in the early stages.  Workday has great reporting capabilities today, but if we don’t have a fully consolidated system we need the ability to marry that external data with the Workday data to perform analytics. Prism will enable this to occur.

More than five years.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Leveraging community, and the ability to open cases with Workday, allows for quick turnaround with both other Workday users and the Workday team itself.

In the beginning it is difficult to wrap your head around the in-memory pieces, and which configuration drives what functionality. It’s like any other software in that manner, and it’s about digging in and learning it.

Implement what you need, purchase what you need as you need it.

What other advice do I have?

I would highly recommend it to anyone. It’s the only fully consolidated in-memory application on the market.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Implementation partner.
it_user515598
User with 51-200 employees
Tremendously improved user satisfaction, however it needs better integration with career management softwares

What is most valuable?

We use Workday for HR services and found the software to be very user-friendly compared to the previous software.

How has it helped my organization?

It has tremendously improved user satisfaction and the adaptability of the application.

What needs improvement?

It does not integrate with some of the career management softwares, like LinkedIn.

For three years.

None.

Customer Service: I would rate them as very good. Technical Support: I would rate them as very good.

How was the

For three years.

None.

I would rate them as very good.

I would rate them as very good.

Initial setup was simple.

Installation was done in-house.

Workday Integration Lead at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Changes the way old ERPs work and creates a whole set of changes to how the BAU works

What is most valuable?

• Easy to use
  • Interactive
  • Cloud
  • SaaS VF

How has it helped my organization?

• Reliability
  • Performance
  • Maintenance of the HR system

What needs improvement?

They can work on getting the clients to work on their support model. Most of the client's current support model for their legacy system will be quite different to what it will be when it's Workday.

More than three and a half years.

Nope.

Nope.

Amazing with the support team. Their response time is really good.

Complex, as it's moving to a different system, getting the stakeholders together, and making them make decisions.

It's good and fair with the modules it offers.

Other cloud apps like Salesforce, Fusion, etc., but nothing stood a chance against this product.

What other advice do I have?

Great product, think about the BAU/support. It changes the way old ERPs work and creates a whole set of changes to how the BAU works.

it_user609621
Vice President Information Technology at a tech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The API’s have enabled us to deliver reliable automation. Reliable, auditable integration has reduced the complexity and cost of our ongoing audits.

What is most valuable?

The API’s have enabled us to really deliver reliable automation to the company. This isn’t just critical, because we can create ease of use, though that is really nice. Reliable, auditable integration has reduced the complexity and cost of our ongoing audits. Users get the access they need, when they need it, and it is removed when we need it removed. Workday, for us, is the tip of the spear for so much of what we do downstream.

How has it helped my organization?

If there was something to really point out here, it isn’t what Workday has done or offers, but what it hasn’t done that has been so powerful. We struggled to have successful implementations previously, partly because of our desire/need to implement features and functionality that are uncommon. Workday bases what they do on a large set of customers and the requirements laid out by the law. Being required to color inside the lines has helped us focus on what makes our company unique when it comes to pay, vacation, benefits, etc. Don’t get creative; get it right.

What needs improvement?

There is too much of a one-at-a-time concept in the workflow. The system is designed with the object model in mind, which is brilliant. Transition from one thing to the next is a never-ending relationship experience. As a leader, however, there are many times when merit and performance are not in isolation and one employee at a time. More thought into seeing the department or departments as a whole would be really valuable.

We use Workday as the source of all employee data. This means that via integrations built in-house, if as a new employee you are onboarded with Workday, you have accounts everywhere else. As a manager, I give it a 3/5. Lots of great data, but since I don't do this all the time, I find it to be not all that intuitive. Much of this may be based on how workflows have been implemented, but it nonetheless leaves much to be desired. Also, while the browser is powerful, the mobile app is so limited it is mostly useless. Lastly, as a power user I would give this a 2/5. So much can be done with the tools, but we constantly run into roadblocks that can only be pushed through with a hard to find, incredibly expensive contract resource. This is the only SaaS product I can think of that we have this experience with.

We went live June 2012 after a six month deployment project.
We use Workday for our HCM and have for several years.

We are an Oracle shop and used the HCM module. The switch was our push to focus on HR as a product in a best-of-breed approach, as the implementation we had in our ERP was largely ignored and disliked.

The technical implementation was straightforward with data dumps and use of their well-documented API’s. The complication came in applying policies to the system and training our users. The complexity was, and continues to be, enabling the power user to take advantage of the power of the tool without reaching out for help.

The beauty of it being a SaaS product is that we are always on the most recent version and we always opt for an early upgrade when there are new releases.

When we priced out this system, it was one of the most expensive solutions when compared straight up with other HCM replacements. The trick is in seeing its total cost now and going forward in comparison to everything else. Between risk reduction, audit reduction and knowing that in many ways we can stop thinking about HR as an issue to solve, we have seen great value. The answer lies in how you want to structure the TCO over ROI.

What other advice do I have?

Don’t dip your toe in the water, jump in. With a solution like this there are great returns to be had, but you need to invest in really using the API’s, building automation with workflows and centralizing HCM here. If you keep recruiting, performance management, etc. outside of the system you will have purchased an airplane so you can drive around the neighborhood.

Business Analyst, HR at Transamerica
We don't need to provide much training for the users because it is easy to navigate. The Payroll module is not usable for Asian countries.

What is most valuable?

It has lots of built in reports. I can copy the report and modify it instead of spending time on studying which table is the one I need to use. Each field also has its description, although sometimes it may not be clear what it means. The GUI is beautiful and we don't need to provide much training for the users because it is easy to navigate.

How has it helped my organization?

Employee Self-Service and Manager Self-Service are not additional products to implement and they can save time for HR operations. Workday also offers a lot of HR modules that facilitate us to do analysis in one place.

What needs improvement?

For reporting, Workday only allows users to select which table to join, and it defaults everything. It should allow users to specify the type of join table (inner join / left join / right join / fields to join).

The Payroll module is not usable for Asian countries. It is not possible to customize it the way we want. We need to use another payroll system and build payroll integration.

Payroll integration is terrible. It has a lot of limitations.

I have used Workday for 1.5 years.

Sometimes all our users are unable to log on to Workday or encounter slowness. It usually lasts for around 10 minutes, but it could happen once a week, as far as I have noticed.

We have not had any stability issues.

The group previously used different systems for different countries. We centralize a team of system support for the group. It is more cost efficient in terms of support and maintenance.

Setup was not complex as our implementation partner defaulted most configurations, but it could be wrong. We need to look back after implementation.

We did not have other options, as it is a group decision. If I had an option, I would choose PeopleSoft, because HCM and payroll could be in one system.

What other advice do I have?

Check carefully whether Workday supports payroll in your country; otherwise it takes additional costs and efforts to build integration.

it_user517446
Systems Analyst at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
I would say the most value comes from the annual review features.

What is most valuable?

I would say the most value comes from the annual review features. It is well laid out and easy to complete. It makes the process of annual reviews simple and concise.

How has it helped my organization?

It is more efficient than any methods/processes I have used in other companies. The simplicity of the system is very valuable.

What needs improvement?

The ability to drive more analytics on a customizable level would be helpful.

One year.

No problems with deployment.

No problems with stability.

Scalability has not been an issue.

How are

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The ability to drive more analytics on a customizable level would be helpful.

One year.

No problems with deployment.

No problems with stability.

Scalability has not been an issue.

10/10

10/10

No previous solutions.

Straightforward.

Senior Associate (Management Consulting) at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
I've used it for operational and detailed reporting and some low-level analytics. The community is super helpful.

Valuable Features

I primarily used the report writer; have some experience with EIB integrations as well.

Improvements to My Organization

My personal organization does not use it. However, in my clients’ organizations, people really seemed to like the user interface, and the community has been extremely helpful. The regular releases are also very nice. Reporting is a bit of a learning curve coming from an ERP built on a standard relationship database, but once users get the hang of it, it's really quite powerful.

Room for Improvement

It's great for operational / detailed reporting and some low-level analytics, but for heavy-duty analysis against large data sets, I find it's a bit lacking. For instance, the indexed data sources only work when using non-calculated fields. Most clients have a TON of calculated fields used for reporting purposes, so I find this severely limits the appeal of such data sources. Non-indexed data sources don't perform very well against large datasets compared to a data warehouse / star schema / OLAP cube.

Use of Solution

I have used it off and on since 2013; had one project where I worked with it for about two years, another for about six months.

I rarely if ever encountered any stability issues.

The community is super helpful; haven't had to use an actual support ticket thus far.

From a reporting standpoint, there's not much configuration or setup required at all.

Other Advice

The reporting capability is perfectly adequate in 90% of cases, given the requisite training. For "heavy-duty" analytics across very large datasets, consider the integration required for integrating with an on-premise data warehouse, for example... There will be considerable additional overhead in managing the outbound files, SFTP, ETL, etc. from a cloud source vs an on-premise source.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Workday implementation partner.