IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
Founder, President & COO at a analyst firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
A versatile operating system from the most valuable company in the world
  • "My impression is that the security via windows defender is good enough that I no longer feel a need for another third-party security solution."
  • "Everything's tied-in via Bluetooth; it's kind of a pain in the ass because it hijacks your calls."

What is our primary use case?

My laptop is my work and life laptop. I'm a small business owner — my laptop is my lifeblood. More recently, with all this COVID stuff and remote learning, I had to repurpose a couple of my older laptops that deprecated out of my own personal use; I made them suitable for my kids to use for online education. That's what led me to upgrade them from Windows seven to Windows 10. Everybody in my company uses Windows 10. Our entire DevOps team works on Microsoft machines. I suppose there are hip little companies out there that use Apple products — that's ineffable to me. I think Windows has done a good job of addressing a lot of concerns around stability and computational inefficiency. It used to be the case that when you were doing more complex, high-intensity computing, you probably needed to be on Linux machines. I don't think that's as true as it used to be. I know smart people that use Apple, but it blows my mind.

What is most valuable?

My impression is that the security via windows defender is good enough that I no longer feel a need for another third-party security solution, which had always been the case in the past. I think that perception still holds true. I might be wrong about that, but prior to Windows 10, I always felt obliged to go with, Norton or McAfee as an additional anti-virus service. So, I began reading reviews and got comfortable with the idea that Windows Defender as a primary security system was good enough.

What needs improvement?

I don't like a lot of the features that are in it. I'm still somewhat archaic in that I like the form-factor of a traditional laptop: I don't want to touch my screen; I don't want it to behave like a tablet; I don't want it to bend in weird ways that I'm never actually going to use. There are a lot of features in Windows 10 that seem to be designed for it to be deployed on a Window's surface or something like that. I don't want that Cortana voice feature. I don't need to talk to my laptop. The phone application where you can integrate your smartphone with it so that you can directly view images that are on your phone, that feature sucks. Everything's tied-in via Bluetooth; it's kind of a pain in the ass because it hijacks your calls.

I have been using Windows 10 for roughly two and a half years.
Windows 10
April 2022
Learn what your peers think about Windows 10. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2022.
597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Stability-wise, it's pretty good. I put it through its paces more than most people. Outlook doesn't integrate nearly well enough with Google Mail Servers. I think that's more than a Microsoft Office issue than windows. Still, when you host your mail on Google (I host with Google but I use Outlook as an email client), the integration is poor. Google or Outlook issue some new updates once every couple of months that make them play worse together for a week. It's kind of annoying. I think it's a conscious business decision though. I suspect foul play on both sides.

As I use Windows 10 for personal use, I can't comment on the scalability.

The only thing I've ever used Window's tech support for was to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, which you're able to do for free. Which is cool.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward — it's Windows. Microsoft is one of the largest, most valuable companies in the world despite not being ever seen as cool, newer, sexy.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to go ahead and use Windows 10. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of eight.

Co-Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good enough, but update stability needs improvement
  • "The most valuable feature is that it's a good enough operating system for anyone who isn't technically proficient."
  • "This solution is good enough, but Windows is always playing catch-up when it comes to development. An improvement I would like to see is in Windows updates. They don't seem to test the updates."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case of Windows 10 is for personal use. I don't run anything business-related on Windows. I use it from time-to-time and it's deployed on-premises. I use it a couple of times a year, whenever I occasionally need to do small tasks, like copy files that only Windows has access to.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

This solution is good enough, but Windows is always playing catch-up when it comes to development. For instance, Docker containers is technology that was introduced with Linux and they just decided that it was usable. The primary reason why I rarely use Windows is that it's not interesting from a development perspective.

An improvement I would like to see is in Windows updates. They don't seem to test the updates. My wife uses Windows as well and after the update, her computer was no longer usable. It was what we call the "blue screen of death." It had to be erased and started up from scratch, which was a nightmare. It seems that they aren't testing their updates anymore, they're just pushing them, and they're not propagating the updates to everybody. They're propagating to a specific, small portion of people. Only after do they check if everything is okay. If there's no bad feedback, then they increase the scope, release the updates to the wider public, and so on. Windows is a paid operating system, so this is not normal and not okay. I would expect this from open source technologies, but even these are better. We are using the open source version of Ubuntu, which is free, and it's still way better than the updates for Microsoft operating systems. I have only worked with the desktop version of Windows 10, so I don't know how things work for the server operating systems, but at least for the common user of Windows 10, it's a nightmare.

I have been using Windows 10 for a few years.

This solution is stable, but updates affect this too. The operating system is stable until an update causes everything to crash. This happens more often that not, I would say. My wife has had two issues with this. On two separate occasions, her computer has crashed just because of the updates. Every time her computer restarts because of an update that needs to be installed, she is afraid that her computer will stop working.

I'm not sure because I am the only one who uses Windows, and even then it's on very rare occasions.

I have never dealt with Microsoft technical support.

I haven't installed Windows myself. My wife says that Windows was already installed and licensed along with the machine that she purchased.

I implemented through a vendor team. Windows 10 came with the laptop my wife purchased.

Our Windows 10 license was purchased with a laptop.

I also use the open source version of Ubuntu Linux, which is free and still runs better than Windows 10. If you are technically proficient, I recommend going with Ubuntu Linux. If not, go with Windows.

For cloud-based software, I use G Suite Enterprise. I use this software to communicate with customers who need to record videos and other things like that, and I prefer it over Zoom.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Windows 10 a five out of ten, primarily because the updates for the desktop version are a nightmare and need improvement. I recommend Windows to anybody who isn't technically proficient. Otherwise, go with Ubuntu Linux.

Windows 10
April 2022
597,708 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Information Security Consultant at a consultancy with 11-50 employees
Stable and scalable with good security features
  • "The latest versions of the solution have increased their level of stability. It's quite good now."
  • "The solution should offer a bit of an easier integration with authentication methods, like FIDO or FIDO2 authentication with the USB-C. They should try to simplify the process of authenticating the user. Nobody wants to remember thousands of passwords."

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable aspect is the vast integration of PowerShell to help automate the community and every system maintenance task.

The solution has implemented security capabilities quite well. There is a new technology that allows you to put your security credentials in the EPM module has been great.

The initial setup is easy.

What needs improvement?

The patch deployment in corporate enterprises could be improved in a way to specify when the system will update and to prevent users from interacting with this system during the actual updates. If you have a system running in a production facility, the user is only able to access a dedicated application when you then update the system, the application has to be stopped. When this happens, the system is open for manipulation. Microsoft should invest more in a way to protect users from interacting with this system during the update process.

It's a very edge case. It's really important for us. I know some other production facilities. There are some third party solutions in place which tried to tackle this issue, but it would be better if Microsoft directly addressed it on their own.

The solution should offer a bit of an easier integration with authentication methods, like FIDO or FIDO2 authentication with the USB-C. They should try to simplify the process of authenticating the user. Nobody wants to remember thousands of passwords.

I've been using the solution for three years so far.

Windows 10 is really stable now. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

In the case of scalability, it would be easy to expand the solution. It is quite straightforward to execute on scalability. A company shouldn't have trouble with it when they need to expand.

Currently, we have about 8,000 users on the solution.

I've never personally contacted technical support. We often try to contact more third-party support services. I can't remember any direct contact with support, so I can't speak to the quality of services that they provide.

We have used a lot of Linux's systems, however not for clients. In the past, for end user computing, like running workstations, we already used Windows 10. It was Windows 7 before that.

The initial setup is a very straightforward process. It's not complex. It's easy to deploy and users are adapting to it quickly. The whole process is very fast.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with Microsoft.

The Microsoft ecosystem works really well when I have an active directory and am using Microsoft Outlook, Exchange, etc. They interact really well together.

In regards to the solution being cost-effective, I would say the latest technologies from Microsoft have an administrative system that is much easier than running IBM. It's now so well interconnected that if you're trying to migrate to the cloud it's easy.

Microsoft really tries to fill all of a company's technical needs, which works really well.

I would rate the solution a solid nine out of ten.

It's really great. Microsoft has done a lot to improve their offerings over the last few years. You can still improve every product somehow. They could always add more features and continuously refine the product. However, at this point, it's working really well for us.

Jeizer Marinho - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at a recruiting/HR firm with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy and quick to install, good enterprise support but the Windows support needs improvement
  • "As a Microsoft Tester, I like enabling the Microsoft Hyper-V and running the Virtual Machines for testing purposes."
  • "If Microsoft could find a way to better manage updates and patches, that could be more useful for end users, which would be good."

I like Windows products.

What needs improvement?

Some time ago we had Windows Forms, but it did not perform well enough and Microsoft ended up terminating that area of the business.

I believe that it would be beneficial to introduce Windows Forms back into the solution to have a better experience transitioning from a desktop to a mobile version.

Currently, we are experiencing a lot of activities from hackers. People trying to break into the networks to access our data. This is an issue that is causing concern. I don't see a way of making it better or different. This became a large business for hackers.

It would be great to have a more secure interface, especially in a business environment of critical content. For example, our company has a very high level of governance and security procedures.

There are many updates on a monthly basis. I understand that is how Microsoft helps their customers to manage and be secure with regard to Cyberattacks that we may experience. From a user's perspective, it's not a good experience. From an IT perspective, I know how important those things are.

It should be something that runs more in the background where it is not seen and has less of an impact than they usually have.

When we roll out any Microsoft patch across the Network which is done every Thursday, it had not seen a few computers having issues. That's bringing us X amount of work because we need to remediate the user's issue and all those things.

From an IT perspective, I would like something similar to Splunk where it has some type of visibility, or provide the user with power, or something that we could enable. For example, if we were attacked, we could enable something or download something as a part of the Microsoft portfolio to provide us with more visibility about the threat that is floating around.

I have been working with Windows 10 since it's been on the market.

My opinion is that Windows 10 is very stable.

I have not had many opportunities to contact technical support but have a few times.

My last contact with them was regarding server versions, which involved Exchange 2013, and few other things, and also about Windows 10 support.

My experience with enterprise support was good and we didn't have any issues, but specifically with Windows 10, it's wasn't a good experience.

Microsoft should have the same level of service. I was expecting more from Microsoft.

We are also working with all Microsoft operational systems, from Windows 10 to Windows Servers, Active Directory, and Office 365.

I have worked with Windows since Windows 95 and it has changed a lot. It is very quick to deploy.

It is different when you analyze things and think in a more technical way, but even a non-technical person could install Windows from scratch with no issues.

What other advice do I have?

I am currently studying for Microsoft Administrator, but I don't have hands-on experience with Key Vault.

I would recommend Windows 10 to others who are interested in using it.

The Microsoft portfolio is quite large. It is difficult to think of what Microsoft hasn't already developed so far.

I would rate Windows 10 a seven out of ten.

Cliff Matonda - PeerSpot reviewer
System Administrator at Finlays
Straightforward to install, easy to integrate and scales well
  • "When it's new it's very fast."
  • "After some time it becomes slower. The performance seems to be affected after a while."

What is our primary use case?

It's very useful. It acts like a terminal for all these things that you do in the office. You can access your shared files. You can do Office 365. You can use it as a client for so many applications. It is an operating system that is used for our company to interact with their cloud base from the on-premise system.

What is most valuable?

The installation is straightforward and the deployment is very fast.

The licensing is okay.

When it's new it's very fast.

The solution is very scalable.

The stability is very good.

The product is very user friendly, and it can integrate with so many other applications

What needs improvement?

While they might already have this, I find that Windows has many workspaces and people just end up using one and ignoring the others. A person ends up opening so many windows and then just looking at one screen. It makes them ignore the others. They need to rework it so that this is less likely to happen. It needs to be a bit more user-friendly.

I've used the solution for some time - likely since it was introduced. It's been a while.

The stability is good in that there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash

However, the performance seems to get worse with time. It becomes slower and there is a need to refresh.

The scalability of the solution is very good. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.

We have about 90 users in our organization.

The usage is based on the number of users, and currently, we have no plan to increase our staff. However, f there's a new user, then we just buy a new license.

Microsoft technical support is very complicated. We've never actually gone through Microsoft to solve problems. We almost always use the internet. You go to a site, and you look at someone who had a similar problem. I don't actually contact Microsoft on many issues. Therefore, I can't speak to their knowledgeability or responsiveness.

The installation isn't overly difficult or complex. It's pretty straightforward if you understand the underlying concepts.

They have simplified it. It is very easy compared with when we are doing Windows.

The installation itself is very, very quick. It takes ten minutes or so.

Currently, I handle the deployment and maintenance myself.

I handled the installation myself. I did not require the assistance of any integrators or consultants. I've been doing it a while, and therefore I'm comfortable with the process.

The licensing is okay. We normally buy the Pro version, the Business version. We find all features are already incorporated.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing Windows 10.

We normally just use Windows. We only use other operating systems if we are running a system that requires us to use that operating system.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the latest version of the solution. We strive to have the latest updates.

I use the solution myself and within our organization.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

I'd recommend the solution to other organizations.

Management Executive at a security firm with 11-50 employees
Great for personal or professional setups and offers automatic patch updates
  • "Technical support is great in South Africa."
  • "Microsoft must realize that it's operating in Africa. We cannot pay US dollars. For the cost of Microsoft Windows 10, it's just not affordable for the majority of the population in South Africa. Who's going to spend that amount of money when people are barely affording to live? It's costly."

What is most valuable?

We like that the patches are automatic. It takes away a lot of the administrative burden, from a security point of view, on the environment. You do not really need to worry about patch management on a Windows 10 machine, as it automatically does it. Those are the benefits that we see from a management point of view.

For personal or professional setups, the solution works well.

The solution is stable.

We find the solution to be quite scalable.

It does what it's meant to do. You don't want the platform to do anything more than what it's doing at the moment. It gives you the analytics. It gives you the right security posture. You can draw on it. It can integrate with other solutions.

What we like about the stack of products is if you manage it on a management console, it cuts across the enterprise. That's a benefit in terms of your rollout strategy. It's quicker to deploy, easier to deploy, and it definitely affects the user to a large degree. It doesn't consume too many resources on your endpoint.

Technical support is great in South Africa.

What needs improvement?

The whole point of Microsoft is it's a phenomenal stack of products. However, Microsoft must realize that it's operating in Africa. We cannot pay US dollars. For the cost of Microsoft Windows 10, it's just not affordable for the majority of the population in South Africa. Who's going to spend that amount of money when people are barely affording to live? It's costly.

I've been using the solution for the last 18 months. It's been over a year so far.

The stability of the solution is very good. there are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand the product, it can do so.

W have 50 users on Microsoft right now.

In South Africa, we have great technical support from Microsoft. It comes down to the training and the availability of resources and that is great.

We did not previously use a different solution. We've always used Microsoft.

The deployment is very easy. The initial setup is simple. There are zero hassles.

I didn't do the installation personally, however, I know we just did a deployment for about 50 users, and it took us about a day to deploy it.

You can do it just by yourself. The guidelines and the training and so forth that Microsoft provides for users are great. If you follow that, it's great. From a Microsoft point of view, if you follow the step-by-step guide, it's easy to deploy. You don't need an integrator or consultant.

The solution is overpriced for the region.

We pay a licensing fee on a monthly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer or an end-user.

As a cloud-based solution, we're using the latest version of the product.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've been happy with its capabilities in general.

We would recommend the solution to other users.

QA Test Lead at a insurance company with 501-1,000 employees
User-friendly with good UI but has some latency
  • "There's a lot of documentation."
  • "Built into the solution is Windows Defender, which is in all the recent versions of the Windows operating system, however, we still end up buying an extra antivirus product in the market to ensure we are secure."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for connecting to my remote machine, to the VPN, to my work network. That's the main purpose. I also use it for applications such as Microsoft Word or for accessing YouTube and items of that nature.

What is most valuable?

The UI of the solution has not changed drastically over the years, and therefore, it's easy to get used to the solution if you've used earlier versions of Windows. It's user-friendly in that sense.

Online technical support is helpful. There's a lot of documentation.

What needs improvement?

I notice a lot of latency in Windows 10. Sometimes it slows down things. If I use a virtualized environment and if I run Windows 10, it's definitely slow, even on my personal computer, if it is not SSD. The performance could be much better.

Built into the solution is Windows Defender, which is in all the recent versions of the Windows operating system, however, we still end up buying an extra antivirus product in the market to ensure we are secure. Windows Defender should be enhanced and compete with the market with other antivirus products so that it comes as part of the operating system and actually offers very good protection.

Native apps such as, for example, Windows Notepad, which is a basic feature provided by Windows over the last 24 years, have had no enhancement at all. If you try to play around with some data or put it in a Notepad note, it still is quite difficult to use. You need to pay for Notepad++ or some TextPad, or some other application tool to get some actual usability.

I've been using the solution for a couple of years at this point. It's been a while.

The performance needs improvement. It can be a bit slow. It takes time to render things. In comparison, Mac renders items very quickly.

I've used online tech support in the past. It depends on the case. In a few cases, it is informative and in a few cases, it is not. What I notice is that if I am using Windows, from Windows 95 onwards, if I recollect it correctly. As an end-user, there isn't too much of a drastic change in how it works, and as I've used it for 24 years or so, I have every good understanding of the product.

I started using Windows since Windows 95. Before that, I likely used DOS.

I was not a part of the installation process. I got the hardware with the Windows 10 already installed on it. Therefore, I can't speak to the process or how long it takes to deploy.

My understanding is that the license was paid for upfront with the laptop. I can't speak to the exact cost as I just have it on my laptop, and it came already installed and ready to go.

I did not evaluate other options before choosing this product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a seven out of ten. It's an okay product, however, there are areas for improvement, specifically if you look at the performance.

That said, I would recommend the solution to other users.

Product Manager at a consultancy with 201-500 employees
Straightforward to set up and works well with Microsoft Office but has too many updates
  • "The solution scales well."
  • "If they could avoid the constant bombarding of the updates, which happens, that would be appreciated."

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for work purposes.

What is most valuable?

In terms of my company, it's giving me a Windows laptop, so that is why I'm using it. I can say that Microsoft Office works really well in Windows rather than on any other OS.

Many people are using Windows 10. There wouldn't be much if any compatibility issues when you have to share any information.

You can actually mirror your phones on Windows, without installing meaning third-party applications, which I really liked.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The solution scales well.

Technical support seem to be helpful.

What needs improvement?

I generally have a better user experience using macOS than Windows.

I could actually see a lot of bugs and glitches. The performance of Windows is not that great.

They could optimize the OS for all devices.

The stability isn't ideal. There are bugs and glitches. I've seen performance issues. This, of course, is in comparison to Mac, which is largely problem-free.

The scalability is pretty good, actually. When it comes to the enterprise solutions that Windows offers, scalability is never an issue.

We have around 250 people on the solution right now.

We do have plans to increase usage. We may end up doubling it.

I haven't used Microsoft support directly, however, in terms of the people who are setting it up in my company, they are good with the support on offer and are satisfied with the service they get. They will get back to you with an answer.

We've always used Windows. We did not use anything else previously.

The initial setup is pretty easy as people know the system and are comfortable with Windows - especially when it comes to server management. And whenever they want to control any other appliances, Windows is the way to go.

That said, I'm not sure how long the deployment process actually took.

In my company, likely three people were involved with the initial setup. They also handle maintenance.

There is an ROI in terms of being able to upgrade. You can upgrade your hardware or the solution every five years or so.

I would not say it's expensive. It has an extensive range of options. If you're just looking at the OS perspective, there is no comparison.

You don't know how much does a macOS costs you, as it comes with the hardware. I would say that, with the performance that Windows delivers, it's not justifiable that Windows is charging the money they do. That said, I would say that it is not expensive.

There might be a Windows setup fee when you buy the license, however, I am not 100% certain this is the case.

What other advice do I have?

Our company uses the product. I am just an end-user.

I'm pretty neutral in terms of recommending it to anyone. There are pros and cons.

I'd rate the solution at a six out of ten.

Private Cloud
Download our free Windows 10 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: April 2022