We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
Abbasi Poonawala
Vice President Derivatives Ops IT at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Functional dashboard, scalable, but more volume views needed
  • "This solution has a dashboard that you can log into and control if you need too while the VM is getting created."
  • "The solution could be improved by having more filtered and multiple view volumes instead of a single view."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution is the virtualization and storage process in a simple platform.

The solution is not independent, it is interlaced with other solution such as vSphere and NSX. If you work with one you will be working with others. vSphere is connected to NSX and the NSX will connect to the vSAN. vSphere connects for storage purpose. When the virtualization process is happening, the storage area network would be vSAN. It resembles a managed service from VMware, where all the data and everything will be put into the vSAN.

What is most valuable?

This solution has a dashboard that you can log into and control if you need too while the VM is getting created.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved by having more filtered and multiple view volumes instead of a single view.

In the next release, I would like to see a more user-friendly dashboard with the potential to display issues. It should be capable of detecting the issues faster. For example, if something is wrong with your LAN, controller, or storage volumes.

I have used the solution for ten years.

The solution is scalable. We have more than 50 administrators and approximately 200 operators using the solution.

The technical team is provided by VMware and has workers in all different areas. For example, there will be people working in the storage control part or in the technical area.

It was quite easy to install and took a couple of hours.

I did the installation by myself.

The solution requires a license. The payment is on a yearly basis and It is not overly expensive.

We evaluated Microsoft Hyper-V which has a similar storage area network. However, it can not be used together with NSX and vSpere like this solution.

What other advice do I have?

I will continue using and recommend this solution.

I rate VMware vSAN a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
IT Infrastructure Manager at a retailer with 11-50 employees
Stable, scalable, and easy to install
  • "One of the most valuable features of this solution is that it is stable."
  • "This solution could be improved by having more than one controller for the environment. VMware depends on one controller for the whole environment, whereas Nutanix has one controller for each node. Because there is only one controller with VMware, if there was any drop, then the whole environment would stop working. In Nutanix, I have five nodes—there is one controller for each node and it depends on a virtual controller—so if the controller of any node is down, the whole environment will still work."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use VMware vSAN for ERP, for the assisting environment. The main environment in my company does not depend on VMware—for the production environment and operations, we work with Nutanix.

This solution is deployed on-premises.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features of this solution is that it is stable.

What needs improvement?

I have been using VMware vSAN for three years.

This solution is very, very stable.

This solution is scalable.

In our organization, there are around 1,000 users of VMware, including some servers and the self-service website. We have plans to increase our usage.

VMware's support could be faster. We don't currently have a contract with technical support because we didn't make a new one for the support license.

I previously used Hyper-V from Microsoft, but there were many issues and lots of troubleshooting.

The installation is easy. My team worked on the installation and, for our company, we only need one engineer for deployment and maintenance.

We implemented this solution through an in-house team.

I have two environments: Nutanix AHV and VMware. We use the Nutanix environment more than the VMware environment.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten. For virtualization, I would recommend Nutanix over VMware.

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,729 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Trainer in information and communication technologies at a educational organization with 51-200 employees
Excellent automated performance and agility; good integration with deployment tools
  • "Provides good performance as well as integration with deployment tools."
  • "Troubleshooting tools could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for performance storage and management, we are a training center. I'm the information and communication technology trainer and we have a  partnership with VMware vSan.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution allows our technicians to deploy multiple lab environments for different classes at any time, without requiring any manual installation.

What is most valuable?

This solution has provided us with good performance, something we were looking for as well as integration with deployment tools. One of our main aims is to be able to deploy lab environments in an automated fashion and the product enables us to do that, providing more agility in regards to a virtual machine. We can respond to different needs, but every virtual machine will use the same storage.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement in the troubleshooting tools, specifically the troubleshooting mechanism. We like the product, but once in a while there are problems that require us to reboot the host to fix things, and that creates an impact on production.

For additional features, I'd like to see a better monitoring tool.

I've been using this solution for 14 years.

It's pretty stable most of the time, but you need to make sure your hardware is supported and is compatible.

Scalability of the solution is easy, you simply have a new host and provide a few contributions and then compute. We only have a few people using this product.

We don't use the technical support, we troubleshoot problems ourselves.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your hardware is up to date and make sure you test beforehand. It's a good idea to try and combine the solution with some third party products, such as products for automation.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Pre sales Engineer at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It's the most natural way to migrate a fully hyperconverged solution
  • "In my opinion, vSAN is the most natural way to migrate to a fully hyperconverged solution. If a customer needs a more scalable solution with consolidated management, vSAN is excellent."
  • "A vSAN cluster must have compression and deduplication to be an all-flash array, but it's not supported with a hybrid array. Deduplication and compression work better with an all-flash array, so I think that VMware should give customers the option to activate and support this feature for hybrid arrays. Other products like Nutanix support this."

What is our primary use case?

The majority of our customers already vSphere in their infrastructure, so we usually upgrade the infrastructure by adding new hardware, or we migrate to a hyperconverged solution with vSAN ReadyNode and VxRail in some cases.

What is most valuable?

The vSAN storage cluster is the most interesting feature.

What needs improvement?

Many VMware products are specialized, where one solution does one thing and another does something else. It would be better if VMware consolidated these products and offered modules or add-ons instead of selling 10 different solutions.

Also, a vSAN cluster must have compression and deduplication to be an all-flash array, but it's not supported with a hybrid array. Deduplication and compression work better with an all-flash array, so I think that VMware should give customers the option to activate and support this feature for hybrid arrays. Other products like Nutanix support this.

We first implemented vSAN about three or four years ago.

We had some complaints about the recent firmware update.

I think vSAN is more scalable than some solutions we've tried. We don't have the same issues as we do with VxRail. It's less of a concern because the software is more independent of the hardware.

I've never had to contact support.

Our engineers have a lot of experience with vSAN, so we think it's easy to implement. One person is usually enough to set up the solution and apply updates.

What other advice do I have?

I rate VMware vSAN eight out of 10. In my opinion, vSAN is the most natural way to migrate to a fully hyperconverged solution. If a customer needs a more scalable solution with consolidated management, vSAN is excellent. It causes fewer disruptions from changing the administration. You need about the same amount of knowledge and expertise as vSphere.

Hybrid Cloud
System support engineer at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, easy to set up and quick to deploy

What is our primary use case?

We have a backup server using this technology. We move data in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable. The scalability has been quite good. The initial setup is pretty quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see even more storage capacity.  Technical support could be more knowledgeable.

I've been using the solution for two to three years. It's been a while.

The stability is good. The solution doesn't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable and the performance has been great.

The solution is scalable. We have already…

What is our primary use case?

We have a backup server using this technology. We move data in real-time.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The scalability has been quite good.

The initial setup is pretty quick and easy.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see even more storage capacity.

Technical support could be more knowledgeable.

I've been using the solution for two to three years. It's been a while.

The solution is scalable. We have already upgraded to extend it. We do plan to extend it again and we are going to expand.

We've dealt with technical support previously. It would be helpful if they were more knowledgeable. We had a bottleneck with the technical support team. We required a part and we just couldn't get it and it was delayed. It caused an issue around storage for us.

We did previously use internal storage solutions.

The initial setup is very straightforward. It's so simple you don't need any technical assistance or anything like that.

The deployment is pretty fast and only takes one to three hours or so. It's not a long process at all.

We do have an integrator that can assist with the implementation.

We do have to pay a yearly licensing fee. It's a subscription for the hardware.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at a ten out of ten. We are very satisfied with its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to others.

Michael Ogunlade
Head of enterprise systems at Fidelity Bank Plc
Can be used to virtualize SAN without having to have a separate storage area network
  • "It's stable and scalable. Also, you can virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer."
  • "Because of virtual storage, the system reaches reserve storage for its functions. It also consumes a certain amount of storage, which then results in the creation of a fault tolerance for the system. All of this adds to a lot of capacity being consumed in terms of storage for each drive for vSan. I find this to be one drawback of using vSan."

What is our primary use case?

We use it to virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer.

What is most valuable?

It's stable and scalable.

Also, you can virtualize SAN so that you don't have to have a separate storage area network and can have your computer and storage on the same box or computer.

What needs improvement?

Because of virtual storage, the system reaches reserve storage for its functions. It also consumes a certain amount of storage, which then results in the creation of a fault tolerance for the system. All of this adds to a lot of capacity being consumed in terms of storage for each drive for vSan. I find this to be one drawback of using vSan.

The pricing for licensing could be cheaper.

I've been using this solution for about three years.

I find it to be a stable solution.

I think VMware vSAN is a scalable solution.

I was satisfied with the customer service and technical support I received.

The initial setup was straightforward and took less than two weeks.

We used a consultant for the installation project.

The licensing cost is high and should be taken into account.

What other advice do I have?

You need to pay attention to the calculation metrics in terms of sizing. Depending on your design, you need to be sure that you actually factor in enough storage capacity to be able to achieve whatever you want to achieve in terms of looking at your growth rate.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at eight.

Senior Buyer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reliable, scales well, and has good documentation
  • "I like the tolerance of VMware vSAN."
  • "The integration could be improved. I would like to see integration with other platforms."

What is our primary use case?

We use VMware vSAN to build storage for our virtual machines.

What is most valuable?

I like the tolerance of VMware vSAN.

What needs improvement?

The integration could be improved. I would like to see integration with other platforms.

We have been using VMware vSAN in our environment. I have used this solution for more than five years.

VMware vSAN is a stable solution.

It is easy to scale VMware vSAN.

In our organization, we have 100 members.

We may increase our usage in the future. With the company's growth, there are plans to expand in the future. We may require additional members. It's possible that we'll be able to scale this solution more in the future.

We read the manual, which provided us with a thorough explanation. It was sufficient. We use technical support only on rare occasions.

Nutanix is a product that I am familiar with. We were able to use the Nutanix supported trial version.

In Microsoft's system center, both Nutanix and VMware can be easily maintained.

We will not be using the Nutanx system at this time.

Nutanix's integration with other platforms could be improved.

This solution was easily installed by our team.

We have a team of four people to deploy and maintain this solution, including one administrator and one manager.

This solution requires the purchase of a license.

Because of COVID-19's impacts, we looked for a different IT system that would match our budget.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others.

I would rate VMware vSAN an eight out of ten.

Mohab Samy
VMware Technician Manager at VAS
Easy to install, quick to deploy, and very stable
  • "The installation is very easy."
  • "It would be ideal if clients didn't need to monitor the solution on a daily basis."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for 95% of our hyper-converged infrastructure deployments.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very stable.

The installation is very easy. The deployment is fast and only takes, at a maximum, 2 days.

What needs improvement?

The scaling could be a bit better.

The monitoring capabilities could be improved. It would be ideal if clients didn't need to monitor the solution on a daily basis.

I've been using the solution for about five years at this point. It's been a while.

The solution is quite stable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. the performance has been good.

We do have plans to continue to work with the solution. However, we do not use the solution ourselves. We are integrators. Deployments and their sizes depend on the clients.

We have about 60 to 100 clients that use the solution.

The initial setup is not overly complex or difficult. It's very straightforward and very simple to set up.

It took us about two days to deploy the product.

We had about five people who handled the deployment.

We did not need the help of a consultant or integrator. We are integrators ourselves. We were able to handle everything in-house with our own team.

I can't speak to the licensing arrangements or specific costs of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We are integrators and a partner to the vendor.

We are working with the latest version of the solution at this time.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. Our clients are pretty happy with it overall.

I'd recommend it to other users and companies.

Product Categories
Hyper-Converged (HCI)
Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.