IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

vCloud Director OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

vCloud Director is #5 ranked solution in top Cloud Management tools. PeerSpot users give vCloud Director an average rating of 8 out of 10. vCloud Director is most commonly compared to VMware vRealize Automation (vRA): vCloud Director vs VMware vRealize Automation (vRA). vCloud Director is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 61% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.
vCloud Director Buyer's Guide

Download the vCloud Director Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is vCloud Director?

VMware vCloud Director provides software-defined services for data centers in the form of virtual data centers. Computing, networking, security, and storage are all virtualized when you deploy this solution. The result is that users will get to enjoy infrastructure that is operationally ready in a matter of minutes without needing to install and configure any physical infrastructure.

vCloud Director Customers

MicroStrategy, National Democratic Institute, and NYSE Euronext.

vCloud Director Video

vCloud Director Pricing Advice

What users are saying about vCloud Director pricing:
  • "In certain cases, the price of Cloud Director is quite high, especially with the load balancing and other features they've introduced. That seems quite costly. Overall, for VSPP programming, I think it's okay. However, features like enterprise load balancing and all these other things are very costly."
  • "We pay monthly for all of the licenses."
  • "It runs our company in the millions of rand every month."
  • "It's a costly product. The licenses may not be costly, but with every new development in their product, we need to purchase deployment services, and the deployment services are quite costly."
  • "vCloud Director is an expensive solution."
  • vCloud Director Reviews

Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    Great extensibility feature, which enables integration of other services
    • "Good features of extensibility, which allows integration of other services."
    • "Lacks integration with the hyperscalers."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for infrastructure as a service, which is pretty much a self service, together with a period of management if the customer needs. We are partners with vCloud Director and I'm the manager of virtualization, storage and backup.

How has it helped my organization?

As a service provider, it is key for us to have control over the overall cost of ownership, as well as providing benefits, good service and making a profit. With the help of vCloud Director, we have been able to provide really good multi-tenanted services, making the best use of existing hardware and investments, but reducing our overall CapEx very heavily. As an organization, it has really helped us to sustain a service and continues to help us leave a mark on the market.

What is most valuable?

I think it's a wonderful product. I like the latest features of extensibility, which allows integration of other services and enables us to go beyond infrastructure as a service. We are now in a position where we can also offer platform as a service to our customers. That's a really wonderful feature. Extensibility allows service providers to extend their existing services and integrate them within the vCloud, offering a feature with an overall solution to customers.

What needs improvement?

One of the elements lacking in the product is integration with the hyperscalers. Using hybrid cloud requires connectivity to other public clouds like Azure or AWS. At the moment that is not possible. If that can be made available as a feature, I think vCloud would become a one-stop shop for everything. We would be able to give a true hybrid service from a single pane of glass, offer everything from a single portal. It becomes a cloud management platform rather than just a simple IaaS natively from VMware.  Additional features I'd like to see would be flexibility in terms of user permissions rules. I'd also like to see the capability to integrate on-prem dedicated virtual centers within vCloud. There is a CPOM feature which enables integration on-prem with the existing customer into the same portal. At the moment it is very limited, just providing a view. It would be good if we had the capability to make changes from the same portal. Multi-site capabilities would be another additional feature. It is offered but there is room for improvement in terms of other features and functionalities that can be brought in, which would make it more seamless.  The dashboard for monitoring is very limited and it's not provided out of the box. It's done using a different tool from VMware itself. Having those rich dashboards within the portal itself, directly providing monitoring of the virtual machines, would be great. That is something which is really missing. Performance metrics were completely missing till now.
    vCloud Director
    June 2022
    Learn what your peers think about vCloud Director. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using this solution for eight years.

The solution is quite stable now, a lot better than it used to be. There are certain issues in terms of making changes at the backend but I have seen a big improvement from previous versions.

Scalability as an option was not available earlier. It's possible now but still needs some improvement. We have 300-plus customers and around 10,000-plus virtual machines being hosted. This solution is our main cloud portfolio offering so we use it on a regular basis.

I think we have had fantastic support from VMware. We don't use them very often now because it is quite a stable product. They have very knowledgeable support staff.

The initial setup is quite straightforward with the new enhancements. It could be improved in terms of how the database's high availability is taken into account. They can still streamline the installation process but compared to when it was launched, it's much better now. With the recent availability of cloud provider hub and cloud foundation, I think deployment can be very easily done within a couple of days and that includes all the planning.

As a service provider, it gives us quite good leverage and flexibility to present our own pricing and create pricing policies, which is really good.

What other advice do I have?

It's important to have some development capabilities within your organization I think the most important thing is to understand your requirements and what your end goal is because you need to understand whether vCloud Director is going to restrict you or not. It's a very powerful product for service providers. You also need to keep in mind what other service add-ons you want to achieve because your overall design and architecture or blueprint is very dependent on what you want to do. Having a blueprint will provide you with the difference between a wonderful outcome or an unstable one. We've been using this solution a long time so I would suggest that if you want to be in the current market scenario and keep yourself alive, a product like vCloud Director can definitely help you sustain yourself. It keeps you up with the new trends and up to date on your portfolios as well. The fact that we can now go beyond infrastructure as a service is great. We can now expand and be a more versatile provider giving application as a service from a single portal.  In today's scenario, hybrid cloud and hybrid connectivity is what is really very important. Although Cloud Director provides that sort of connectivity, it is limited within VMware products. If we could hook up with hyperscalers like Azure, Google or AWS, I would give this solution a higher rating. I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud
    Cloud Architect at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
    MSP
    It's a stable, truly multitenant software and the go-to tool for infrastructure as a service
    • "This is the go-to tool for anyone looking for standard out-of-the-box capabilities in a fully multitenant public cloud software that they can leverage to offer services to their customers."
    • "Cloud Director has room for improvement in many areas. One critical thing that comes to mind is the hyperscalers. They could be more seamlessly integrated into the hybrid cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We are a service partner that offers cloud services based on Cloud Director.

What is most valuable?

One valuable feature is the true multitenancy capabilities for the core infrastructure service that Cloud Director provides.

What needs improvement?

Cloud Director has room for improvement in many areas. One critical thing that comes to mind is the hyperscalers. They could be more seamlessly integrated into the hybrid cloud. Cloud Director should be capable of hooking up with those. For example, they recently started allowing customers to perform S3 integrations with Cloud Director. So a customer can integrate his S3 buckets from AWS with the Cloud Director. Okay, fine. But what about Azure? There should be more integration capabilities.

Secondly, VMware has made some progress in terms of balancers, but I think it needs a little more refinement and flexibility. This is not limited to just the VMware marketplace. More flexibility will make it easier for any service provider to leverage and monetize them.

Last but not least, from a networking and monitoring perspective, there should be a little more native monitoring capabilities, especially metering capability. Metering is one of the areas where I find Cloud Director leaves much to be desired. VMware can do more to make it a much more metered product.

Cloud Director's out-of-the-box capabilities should be good enough that you don't have to look for a third-party product to give you those capabilities. Networking-wise, I think it's good. Still, I think the networking capabilities are not fully realized on Cloud Director.  VMware should do a little more work to reveal all of the capabilities through Cloud Director rather than just at the back of Cloud Director. You've got to have those features exposed to customers as a self-service rather than managed service.

I've been using Cloud Director since 2012.

Scalability is a word you have to look at from different perspectives. I think some of the capabilities they have introduced in terms of load balancing deliver out-of-the-box scalability for tenants. But as a product itself, Cloud Director needs more multi-site capabilities. I have seen some work being done but that's just a start, I would say.

My experience with VMware support has been mixed. Sometimes you get fantastic support. The techs are really knowledgeable and know what they're talking about. But then there are certain times where I have seen some things that affect the client as well. So I think VMware support has some room for improvement. They can do much better. VMware as a brand definitely can do better in terms of response times and capabilities.

The Cloud Director setup has improved tremendously compared to where it started. I have seen how complex it used to be. Now, it has become easy and robust. The setup is more straightforward and seamless than before.

In certain cases, the price of Cloud Director is quite high, especially with the load balancing and other features they've introduced. That seems quite costly. Overall, for VSPP programming, I think it's okay. However, features like enterprise load balancing and all these other things are very costly.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cloud Director eight out of 10. As a service provider, we have to look at a couple of available and other things, so I would rate it around eight. I have to deduct two points because some small things make a huge difference to a service provider, but they might not matter too much from a customer-experience perspective.

This is the go-to tool for anyone looking for standard out-of-the-box capabilities in a fully multitenant public cloud software that they can leverage to offer services to their customers. It's also good for enterprises that want to keep a more segregated approach to their different departments and things. You definitely have much better control and a more streamlined way to offer services to your internal teams or your customers out-of-the-box in a multitenant way. And you don't need to worry too much about how you're going to network these things together or how you're going to control the assets of the computers and resources.

In my experience, it is a very robust product. I have used this product since the initial version and watched it evolve into a highly mature product. It's a stable, truly multitenant software and the go-to tool for infrastructure as a service.

vCloud Director
    June 2022
    611,060 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    VarunSidana - PeerSpot reviewer
    Technical Team Lead at Golf Business Machine
    Allows multi-tenancy, but has a complicated installation process, and needs more integration with other network devices
    • "What I found most valuable in vCloud Director is the multi-tenancy."
    • "What could be improved in vCloud Director, particularly from the networking side, is its integration with other network devices. It also needs a more simplified installation because the process is a little bit complicated."

What is most valuable?

What I found most valuable in vCloud Director is the multi-tenancy.

What needs improvement?

What could be improved in vCloud Director, particularly from the networking side, is its integration with other network devices. Currently, it is not connected with the core network devices, for example, Palo Alto or any firewall used in the company. Though there is good integration with NSX, some of the customers don't use NSX. There should be a good amount of integration between vCloud Director and the other network providers, because if there's search integration, then things will become more automated and it'll be more tightly integrated with everything.

What vCloud Director needs is a more simplified installation, because the process is a little bit complicated, compared to installing vRealize Automation or the set of vRealize solutions. They're much easier to deploy than vCloud Director.

Making the installation automated is an additional feature I'd like to see in the next release of the solution. Now that VMware VCF is there, they have the automation layer ready. If any company or organization is planning to deploy vCloud Director, they will start from scratch. They will start from the hardware level itself. If they a tie-up with Dell or HP and from the server level itself, if they can start deploying with vCloud Director by following the best practices and verified architecture, then it makes sense.

I used version 10.2 of vCloud Director for the past twelve months, and the total number of years I used it was from four to five years.

vCloud Director is quite stable. It has good stability.

vCloud Director, in terms of scalability, can be improved.

The initial setup for vCloud Director was simple when we started, but then it became complex, particularly when we started growing. When we had multiple tenants, and a unique set of tenant organizations within vCloud Director, setting it up started to get complex.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a team leader of a set of consultants in one company in UAE, so I downloaded reports, for example, about vCloud Director for reference. It helped me in designing a solution. I used to work for VMware as a post-sale consultant based in India, but then I quit and joined a different company. I have a personal experience with the vCloud Director.

In terms of maintaining vCloud Director, if you have a good amount of footprint of VMware staff, it would still depend on the number of objects you are controlling through the solution. If you have just one or two organizations created, it's fine, meaning one person can do the maintenance. In my scenario, however, I was supporting a customer who is one of the largest clients in VMware, who is using vCloud Director, so it was almost a team of six to seven people who were involved in maintaining the solution.

My advice to people looking into implementing vCloud Director would depend on their use case. vCloud Director has a very limited use case because most needs can be taken care of by vRealize Automation. If you're not a VCPP (VMware certified partner) and providing the VMware services to the external organization, you don't need the vCloud Director. You can have your private cloud based on open shift, open stack, vRealize, and a bunch of other solutions. vCloud Director is predominantly only for the VCPPs who are authorized to sell the VMware cloud to external customers, which they manage on behalf of VMware.

I'm rating vCloud Director seven out of ten.

OS & Servers Manager at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Good platform for visualization and monitoring but not for redundancy and distribution
    • "vCloud is a good platform for visualization. It is very handy for monitoring. VMware can integrate with all monitoring systems like vRealize, and the management monitoring is good. I'm very happy with VMware. VMware is good in management and monitoring systems."
    • "This is very simple in OpenShift. We are happy with vCloud in terms of the virtualization but not for redundancy and distribution."

What is our primary use case?

For vCloud we use a private cloud. In a distributed system, CapEx and OpEx are better. In storage, when you use a stand-alone system you have to pay much more than with a distributed system.

What is most valuable?

For vCloud we use a private cloud. In a distributed system, CapEx and OpEx are better. In storage, when you use a stand-alone system you have to pay much more than with a distributed system. With a storage system rather than stand-alone systems you have to pay much more than a distributed system.

What needs improvement?

In the virtualization aspect, we are happy, but if we work on the public cloud, not the private cloud.OpenStack has a lot of features. In OpenShift when you configure it you can provide 100 web service in redundancy mode.

This is very simple in OpenShift. We are happy with vCloud in terms of the virtualization but not for redundancy and distribution.

We have been using VMware for five to six years.

We've been using vCloud for two years. With vCloud, we have to pay more much for the license but OpenStack is almost an entirely free platform.

We don't have any issues with stability.

With our license, when we want to expand and connect vCloud with the billing systems you have to pay more.

It's your choice if you want to pay more for a license because the billing system is separate but you have to pay more. For example, if you have the Python team to develop the system, you can use OpenStack and you pay less than wit the vCloud system.

We don't have any issue but when we want to extend the system, we have the problem with the license and so we have to pay more. It's better to use the other solution.

We have three staff members in the network and two people on the storage side. The whole team is around 10 people.

Technical support is good but the price and the license are very expensive.

The initial setup is simple. The support for the deployment is very good. We were happy with the deployment, it is very simple and if you get team that is familiar with various solutions you can deploy very quickly.

In the older version, VMware supported NSX, but right now VMware provides NSX-T. NSX-T can connect your network, your VMware, your vCloud network to the SDN, and you can connect to other platforms. The initialization and the configuration in VMware is simple. We didn't have any issues.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate vCloud a seven out of ten.

In the next release, I would like to see better integration with VMware and the older cloud solutions like OpenStack. I think VMware is working on it.

OpenStack works better than VMware in a distribution system.

We have better performance in surface storage, we have better documentation.

vCloud is a good platform for visualization. It is very handy for monitoring. VMware can integrate with all monitoring systems like vRealize, and the management monitoring is good. I'm very happy with VMware. VMware is good in management and monitoring systems.

Architect Product Engineering at SunGard Availability Services
    MSP
    Allows us to host customers and provide multi-tenancy so that we can have shared infrastructures used by multiple customers
    • "The most valuable features are the multi-tenancy and multi-site configuration."
    • "The integration between components could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used for hosting customers and providing multi-tenancy so that we can have shared infrastructures used by multiple customers.

We have our own organization. We have a private cloud that we host, and we onboard customers on that private cloud.

It's a cloud-based solution.

There are currently more than 40 customers that are hosted on the private cloud across the US, UK, and Canada.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the multi-tenancy and multi-site configuration. It's very efficient. The virtual machine deployment and segregation of customers due to multi-tenancy is also very simplified. That is the reason we chose this product for hosting the private cloud.

What needs improvement?

The integration between components could be improved. The cloud solution does not comprise a single product. If you look at Azure or AWS, they have tightly integrated all the components in the backend, and they just provide a UI. With VMware, we just have to integrate all products of VMware together and then provide a UI to the customer.

If some component of the UI isn't working, in the backend we have to find out, is this vCloud availability the problem? Or is RabbitMQ the problem? This kind of integration is supposed to be done by the service provider, but the integration should be pretty tight between all the components, which form a private cloud.

I have been using this solution for almost 12 years.

The stability is good but not excellent because of the interoperability between different components of VMware products, which form a private cloud. The interoperability needs to be improved between the different components of the private cloud.

Scalability-wise, it's a pretty good product. We can scale to multiple regions, and we can also increase the number of sales as required. If the customers in a specific region are too many and there is a lot of access, we just need to add more vCloud Director sales for customers.

Technical support needs to improve because the private cloud is comprised of multiple solutions. A customer has to log to identify which product is having problems, and then log a call with a vendor. The support from the vendor is not very good. For some of the cases, we have to chase them for almost a month to get a resolution.

We previously used VLS Automation earlier and multi-tenancy was also quite simple over there, but the only thing was the SSO integration with the multi-tenancy was not consistent. That's the reason we switched from VLS Automation to the private cloud, vCloud Director.

Initial setup was pretty simple. For deployment, we used three or four people across six regions.

We use around 25 people to maintain the solution across six regions.

We pay monthly for all of the licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 7 out of 10.

Private Cloud
    Ronald Van Staden - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director at Silicon Sky Consulting LLC
    Automated virtual resource creation with good options for scaling usage
    • "There are various options for scaling and that flexibility is a good option."
    • "The initial installation and setup are very quick."
    • "The stability of the product is better than just 'good.'"
    • "The product could use a billing feature so we can automate billing for clients."

What is our primary use case?

We are VMware Verified Cloud providers. So we run vCloud Director. We run NSX (Network Security Platform). We run the whole suite of VMware products to host our customers' various applications.

Our primary use case is to enable our customers to use the vCloud Director platform to drive the portal that they create using compute resources from their side. So, it is used for the automation of resources in the VMware on our VMware platform for customers to create Virtual Datacenters.

What is most valuable?

Our customers host their applications with us like they would host it with AWS or Azure. So, in terms of that, the most valuable part of the product for us is the ease of creating resources for them to run their applications and infrastructure for doing business.

What needs improvement?

The first thing that I would say if someone asked me for what nice feature I would like to see, it would be a billing feature. To be able to automate our billing for clients would be a nice feature for us and save us a lot of time.

I have been using vCloud Director for eleven years.

The stability of the product is very good. It is better than just 'good.'

We manage our scalability using multiple pods. We have a certain number of servers and available storage, and when a VMware customer gets to a certain size, we just install a whole new pod. We manage our scalability that way rather than scaling sideways which we do not want to do. If we scale sideways and you have an issue on your platform, then all your customers are affected. We manage the risk for our customers and our uptime by scaling out the pods.

In my position, I do not deal with technical support directly, but I have not heard any bad stories about them. Based on that, I would say the technical support must be pretty good.

The initial installation and setup are very quick. It takes minutes rather than hours or days.

I can not tell you exactly how much it costs, but I know our bill is in the millions (rand) every month.

What other advice do I have?

I think the product has come a long way since its introduction. It is stable now. In the early days, there were some teething problems. At this point, I would definitely recommend it. It has become a mature product now and it works well.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate the vCloud product as a good eight or nine-out-of-ten.

Divisional Engineer at National Telecom Corporatio
    Can be used for infrastructure provisioning without using a platform service
    • "We use the infrastructure as a service cloud, that is, we use the features as infrastructure for this. We are not using any platform services."
    • "There are new updates every quarter, so we need to purchase new support deployment services and some new products."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for infrastructure provisioning such as providing machines and monitoring with logging and so forth.

What is most valuable?

We use the infrastructure as a service cloud, that is, we use the features as infrastructure for this. We are not using any platform services.

The licenses themselves are not costly.

What needs improvement?

We are a service provider, and every day, new customers come to us needing advanced features like platform features. For example, some of them need a managed hosting setup like Beanstalk, or some of them need microservices, like container or Kubernetes, or serverless types of things. So we are in discussions with the concerned teams at VMware in order to incorporate the platform services for next year.

There are new updates every quarter, so we need to purchase new support deployment services and some new products. We are not happy with the frequent upgrades. Because we are a government department, we find it quite difficult to accommodate the frequent changes. What we would like is for the changes to be less frequent, at least twice a year or once a year, so that we can accommodate that in our budget plans. We make budgets annually, not quarterly. I think they need to have a better roadmap for future offerings and future technologies.

I've been using vCloud Director for two years.

Every quarter or after every quarter, they release new versions and new upgrades. If we don't do the new upgrades, it causes stability issues.

We currently rely on VMware for deployment, and they portray it as a complex process that needs a lot of judges.

What other advice do I have?

The public cloud and the hosted cloud solutions are going in parallel, and some countries have the requirement to host the data locally. Most of the organizations who don't have these compliance requirements go for the public cloud, but I would say that hiring and retaining skilled resources matters a lot. Because if you have skilled, experienced resources, then things will be easy for you, but if you can't retain the skilled resources and things are quite complex, then you will need to accept all of the company's conditions.

Overall, we are happy with the product, so I would rate it at eight on a scale from one to ten.

CIO at Bharti Airtel
    Has valuable scaling architecture
    • "The most valuable feature of vCloud Director is the scaling architecture that they have built."
    • "Database services need to go beyond what they are currently doing."

What is our primary use case?

We have a partnership with vCloud Director, and we are a customer. We run one of the largest private clouds globally.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

vCloud Director should focus on helping customers sustain their private clouds and scale out when necessary.

The solution has some basic functionalities and a few functional services. They are working to orchestrate between public and private clouds. While this is good, I think they need to enable private clouds to ensure that they are competing in the market of public clouds. For us, the cost of a public cloud is seven times more expensive than what we build and consume.

They also should consider bringing in significant upgrades like SNS features. Database services need to go beyond what they are currently doing.

I have been using vCloud Director for seven years.

Once configured, vCloud Director is stable.

vCloud Director needs to be more scalable for private clouds.

I would rate technical support a seven out of ten. Personally, I have a network at VMware that I can connect with when I have a challenge, I can depend on it more than calling their support desk.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

The initial setup of this solution is not easy. You need to use professional services to be effective. Unfortunately, the skill set for vCloud Director is not easily available, and it cannot be consumed straight out of the box.

Once deployed, we only require one person to spend twenty minutes a day on maintaining the product.

vCloud Director is an expensive solution. Our organization selects the top tier of the product options, which ensures that we get every feature we want.

What other advice do I have?

The decision to use this solution depends on the size of the organization. A small organization that has less than one hundred servers deploying vCloud Director will find that the cost of running is much cheaper than the product itself. I would not recommend anything above one hundred. However, if you have to constantly change, and you have a dynamic environment, then it would make sense.

I rate this solution an eight out of ten overall.

Private Cloud
    Download our free vCloud Director Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: June 2022