Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is #4 ranked solution in top Ethernet Switches. PeerSpot users give Ubiquiti UniFi Switches an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is most commonly compared to NETGEAR Switches: Ubiquiti UniFi Switches vs NETGEAR Switches. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 46% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 25% of all views.
Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Buyer's Guide

Download the Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Ubiquiti UniFi Switches?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are managed Gigabit switches (Available with 24 or 48 RJ45 Gigabit ports) designed to meet all your network needs while delivering excellent performance. The switches’ excellent network performance is combined with fiber connectivity that includes two SFP ports and the ability to process traffic without putting packet loss at risk.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Are:

• Easy to deploy
  • Simple to use
  • Affordable
  • Reliable and stable

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Support These Three Output Modes:

• PoE: Uses IEEE 802.3af standard to deliver up to 15.4W.
  • PoE+: Uses IEEE 802.3at standard to deliver up to 30W.
  • PoE++: Uses IEEE 802.3bt standard to deliver up to 60W.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Support These Three Input Modes:

• US-8 (PoE, PoE+)
  • USW-Flex (PoE, PoE+, PoE++)
  • USW-Flex Mini (PoE, PoE+)

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Features:

• Reporting and detailed analytics
  • Multi-site management
  • Deep packet inspection

Benefits of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches:

• Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are silent because they are designed without a fan.
  • They help simplify your network infrastructure and cabling.
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Switches offer 24 to 48 port switch versions to work with.
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Switches provide redundant power if the internal power supply fails.
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Switches include the forwarding capacity to simultaneously process traffic on all ports at line rate without any packet loss.
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are rated as affordable when compared with competitors.
  • Available with 24 or 48 RJ45 Gigabit ports
  • Configuration with Ubiquiti UniFi is easy; It's simple to configure or reconfigure an AP or gateway quickly.
  • By having a mobile app, Unifi makes it easy to check on sites and to configure APs individually if necessary.
  • With Ubiquiti UniFi Switches, you can operate your IP cameras and phones through a single network cable.

Reviews from Real Users

A PeerSpot user who is a Director of Technical Operations/CTO at a consultancy says "The ability to deploy quickly and then having one central location for all the settings are its most valuable aspects."

"The integration with the controller is one of the most valuable features of these switches. They are also very stable. For example, we have some equipment that we haven't touched for four years that is still reliable," says Doru I., Senior solutions architect at Aplix Technologies

Murali S., Management Consultant at a consultancy, explains that “For the world where you have to balance traffic and traffic loads and bandwidth, their GUI makes it really easy because the switches, though they are enterprise grade level two or level three switches, the GUI is designed so that it's easy to set up VLANs where you need to control your traffic so that your phones don't break up and get choppy because of other people loading the network down too heavily."

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches was previously known as UniFi Switches.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Customers

Staypineapple

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Ubiquiti UniFi Switches pricing:
  • "It's around $179 a device."
  • "There are no licensing fees; you just purchase it and run it."
  • "Ubiquiti is one of the cheapest WiFi network providers that provide a very good WiFi network, which is monitored and deployable. The price is very fair for the technology they're offering."
  • "The price of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is really good. We have deployed a few Ubiquiti UniFi Switches in New Zealand, and they are a value for money. They are cheaper and stable, but if you have the budget, I would recommend Meraki switches."
  • Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Reviews

Director of Technical Operations/CTO at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Deploys quickly, offers good stability, and has great feature sets
    • "The ability to deploy quickly and then having one central location for all the settings are its most valuable aspects."
    • "The documentation for command lines needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We mostly use the solution for wireless. We have a lot of wireless clients. That's the big bulk of usage as we're rapidly evolving to IOT.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization in the fact that we don't take as long to configure anything. It's just plug-and-play. As far as the wireless goes, it's instantaneous for anybody who wants to get on the network. We have a lot of wireless access points deployed. It works really well. It's convenient.

What is most valuable?

They've been very aggressive as far as their feature sets as their capability.

What needs improvement?

The documentation for command lines needs to be improved.

When we do firmware updates, it usually creates problems in the devices themselves. If we do a firmware upgrade, it's for sure that there will be an issue. They need to work out the kinks in that regard.

The security of the solution could really be enhanced.

It would be ideal if you could roll back firmware. It would be ideal to have something that's built-in that you can kind of just go and push a few buttons and then it reverts back to the old firmware.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches
    September 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've been using the solution for five years at this point.

The stability of the solution has room for improvement. It could be unique to us, however, there's been some instances where it's very unstable. Instabilities are something that we've been striving to reduce ever since I got here and even before that.

I believe that it has to do as much with the environment that we're putting this hardware in. When you're in a facility where the temperatures get high, the humidity sky-rockets. If you don't have hardened equipment that is designed to handle that kind of very harsh environment, you will have problems.

I try and design so that we can mitigate without spending exorbitant amounts of money to do so.

I used to sell systems to a crab fleet that fished out of Ballard Washington and go up to Alaska and we'd sell them two or three of the same systems because they'd rot. They'd throw them overboard and install new ones. It's that kind of environment that things get corroded because there's a lot of moisture. Therefore, the stability issues we face could be based on the fact that the environment is a questionable and uncontrollable factor.

We have about 60 plus switches deployed right now. We have four active sites and a fifth site is coming online. I'd say probably closer to 100 switches. We've got all sizes. I tried to standardize recently on eight ports and that's a whole different conversation, however, we use them in horticulture areas.

This solution is built more for small to medium-sized businesses. The bigger the network gets, the more instability. You have to be there going through the enterprise with the edge line.

That said, it's very scalable. I have seen no blocks. You can build this as big as you want it. And we've done everything from basic switches to large point to point and a point to multi-point. So we pushed the envelope as much as we can.

However, then you get cases like switch age where it's way over the edge of the network, and then you see problems every day, that device old, but even before it got old, it seems like it had this issue.

We have clients that have hundreds of employees on the system, so there are probably users in the low hundreds at any given point of time. We also have about 80 cameras which make up endpoints as well. Most of the people using it are data entry (sales, administration, and procurement) and a few accountants. That said, it's all network-centric. Our security systems and our surveillance systems are all on the network. It's a busy place. We've got a fiber backbone between our main greenhouse and our administrative headquarters.

We do plan to expand. The site that we're bringing online is between 600,000 and 700,000 square feet of greenhouse with a 20,000 square foot building that will have processing, offices, and IT in it. It will double our capacity as far as production. We're going to grow big in 2021.

We're never able to get help from technical support. We don't use them due to this. You've got to be self-reliant. That is one area that I think that they're really lacking in. They need to beef up the level of support that they offer to clients.

That said, the actual factory technical support may be weak, but the forums and the available information is humongous. You could go online and you can get an answer and that's what we do.

The company was using the Ubiquiti Edge product initially, however, they transitioned to UniFi as they started to grow. The gentleman that made that decision is no longer here, therefore, I really don't know what the driving factor was, however, if I were to guess it had to do with the simplicity.

The initial setup was mostly straightforward.

That's one of the key features because you don't have to do any deep thinking trying to get a complex configuration. It's by the numbers. You know if you messed up in a heartbeat. You don't have to guess. Sometimes you have to do a little digging to determine what got messed up. However, even if you have to backtrack a bit, it's very easy to deploy.

Deployment takes a couple of hours typically, from design to final implementation.

We have about 13 maintenance people that cover the entire operation of the organization and this solution.

We didn't need an integrator or consultant. It was all done in-house. I've been an integrator for 40 years, and therefore I have a depth of knowledge. That is not very common in the industry. Usually, I'm the one that is out on accounts, however, I have been making smart systems talk to one another for many, many years.

We don't have any metrics to really analyze. It's difficult to answer a question on ROI. I'm creating something right now to asset track and service track every piece of gear that goes in. That's one of my goals by Q1. I want to have something in place so that when we start hanging this stuff, it's got a QR code on it. We know when it was installed, we know what it's comprised of, and we know when somebody touches it or has anything to do with it. We plan to create a virtual service record.

A year from now, I'd probably be able to give a lot of information about ROI, however, at this point, all I can say is, for the most part, the gear does have a good life cycle. The parts that we've had to replace have often been on us because when they get hosed down with water, they don't seem to work very well. And when they're PoE and they short out the switch we have to blame ourselves. We can't blame the hardware.

We don't have any visibility on pricing, therefore I wouldn't be able to speculate. It's my understanding that there aren't any extra costs above the standard licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

We're just customers. We like using the solution. We didn't want to change horses in midstream, even though a lot of people have attempted to convince us to do so.

We try to use the latest version of the solution. We update the firmware on a regular basis and so most of the time, it's maybe one version behind at the most.

We're going to basically start some life cycle management too. We're using the solution on-premise with a cloud key.

I would advise other users to take training before transitioning from the physical. You can get pretty lost in the process. Take any training you can on the system so that you understand it before you begin.

I had a friend who was Cisco certified. He taught IT and he wasn't aware of Ubiquiti and I showed it to him and he said, ''Wow, this is easy.'' It is also very powerful, they didn't skim. The only thing that I have concerns about and everyone does is cybersecurity. Especially since the pandemic hit, there's a lot of activity on the web and there's a lot of malicious stuff going on, and people are looking for the antidote.

For me, the biggest lesson I took from working with this solution has to do with understanding the product and planning. Don't go in cold and try and, you know, find the fit for a job. If it's an emergency that's one thing, however, the better you plan, the better result you're going to have.

On a scale from one to ten, it's a high 8. I don't really see any major glaring issues other than the support. They do make made a hardened version of the product for harsh environments. It's been all-around a pretty positive experience.

Mangement Consultant at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
    Rock solid stability with adjustable voltage configuration for PoE
    • "For the world where you have to balance traffic and traffic loads and bandwidth, their GUI makes it really easy because the switches, though they are enterprise grade level two or level three switches, the GUI is designed so that it's easy to set up VLANs where you need to control your traffic so that your phones don't break up and get choppy because of other people loading the network down too heavily."
    • "Most configuration can be done on the GUI but sometimes you have to go under the hood and tweak on the CLI."

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. I like the Ubiquiti PoE EdgeSwitches, but I have to use their switches in certain cases because I have 24-volt and 48-volt PoE. Ubiquiti runs 24-volt PoE in a lot of their radios. We use our switches to have programmable voltages. Our day-to-day use cases with Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is basically internal LAN switches for routing WiFi by normal LAN traffic and telephony. We also have to worry about load balancing, because of our telephony in cameras on the same networks.

What is most valuable?

For the world where you have to balance traffic and traffic loads and bandwidth, their GUI makes it really easy because the switches, though they are enterprise grade level two or level three switches, the GUI is designed so that it's easy to set up VLANs where you need to control your traffic so that your phones don't break up and get choppy because of other people loading the network down too heavily. Telephony is pretty tricky to get right on a heavily loaded network.

What needs improvement?

When working with doing pedals and things like that, you have to go down underneath the hood, into the Linux occasionally, which is unfortunate. They have great papers on how to do it and the documentation online is wonderful. They've got lots of guides. Plus, these guys that do videos all the time, they have tons and tons of videos on Ubiquiti that are excellent guides. But, you do have to once in a while go under the hood and people don't like that. If you have Cisco, you don't care. You're always underneath the hood of the Cisco. They have a GUI but no one uses it. With newer stuff nowadays, everybody tries to stay in the GUI. 50% of the time, after I once set the unit app fixed for the time, I'm probably down in the GUI, in the CLI. Like setting up a VPN, instead of a VPN, there's a point-to-point VPN. You can get most of it in the GUI, but there's always a little tweak here, a tweak there in a VPN to a client. In your own system it always matches up. But going to a class, there's always a tweak. You have to go underneath the hood and tweak it.

We have been using the Ubiquity UniFi Switches for about eight years.

The Ubiquiti is a rock and that's why we use them. It's the same as their WiFi equipment. The Ubiquiti hardware, though they're software, they don't bill you for it and their software is not as pretty as others. Their Iron is our rock which is more important than anything else to me. I can remotely fix software. I've got to go on site to fix hardware.

Ubiquiti has had a bad rep for the support. I don't see that the best because I work with lots of people. I am a guy that gets up in the middle of the night to contact support. So, I'm working with a support guy that I know works at a particular shift. I know when to get ahold of them and we talk. I think the Ubiquiti service is actually pretty darn good. Some people complain that they're hard to get ahold of. They're a little busy in the daytime. I have learned to work with them. I think it's fabulous. Sometimes, they get a new guy. I have to take a little bit of time to get past him, but they're pretty good at filtering entry level guys and upper level guys through their support structure. Their chat's pretty good. So, I don't have any problems at all with them as far as support. But, I've read lots of complaints that in the daytime, it takes 15, 20 minutes. I've adjusted my ways to work well with Ubiquiti because it's a partnership. I know they're 24 hours. And so, I just grab them when it's a little bit slower in the evenings. Their support is good. But in the daytime, it could be a little sluggish to get to them. But, I haven't experienced that problem because I've adjusted my ways. The answers are accurate, which is a big deal.

Before using Ubiquiti UniFi Switches we were kind of a Netgear house. I'm Cisco licensed, but I don't like Cisco. I don't like Cisco engineers. They're kind of uppity. And so, I'm kind of an anti-Cisco guy. So, it was Netgear. And then, it was basically Ubiquiti.

I've been using Ubiquiti UniFi Switches for a long time, so I just slap them in. I would say they're a little bit harder than most for the initial install if you are a pro-consumer. For an IT guy that has at least a little bit of background in networking and things like that, they slap right in. But if you are faint of heart, I would have to say that they're a little trickier than just buying a Netgear and slapping it in. It is a level two, level three switch. So, you can't just expect to slap it in. It's smart.

Like I said, it's a rock. The big deal is that a lot of the other companies charge you for software and Ubiquiti doesn't. You buy the gear. You don't ever pay for software. When it comes to software, it comes with updates and it made a huge difference in our ROI because of that. Now, I'm infringing other areas because the real expenses for the software like is in the WiFi and the access points and things like that. With Cisco, you pay money for all that. Cisco is a rip off. I'm sorry, I'm so down with Cisco.

The price performance is amazing, but it's a little bit of faint of heart for somebody who's brand new. But, they can get past it. The videos are really great with it. Physically, they use this turnkey. But for experienced person, if they're doing networking and don't know Linux, I don't know what they're doing in the IT business. So, I think they're doing just fine. I like them to continue to focus on great hardware. If the software's a little bit harder, I can live with that because, to me, it's all about the Iron, high-performance Iron, that this runs.

What other advice do I have?

I would give Ubiquiti UniFi Switches a rate of Nine on a scale of ten. I just really do like them. Having programmable voltages is fabulous on the ports. Nobody's got programmable voltages on the ports. Ubiquiti have to be because of the gear, but it makes it really slick. That's one place where the GUI is kind of cool, is that you can toggle a port on and off. You can toggle a group of ports off. You can say, "Hey, kill my cameras." It toggles all my cameras for me and bring them back online.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches
    September 2022
    632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner at a consultancy with 1-10 employees
    Great for small and medium business with single-pane management and good pricing
    • "The value here with using the Ubiquiti products across the board is that they're almost all single-pane management and the single-pane management is included. It's a huge benefit."
    • "The support is pretty much email-based and that's horrible for an enterprise product. I can't call anybody right away."

What is our primary use case?

We tend to use the solution when clients are not willing to spend money for Meraki or Aruba. We use them as switches.

The basic use case is going to be an office with as many as 100 users. I position them to have one access point cover 150 to 200 square feet or as much as 350 square feet - depending upon the height of the ceiling. It's usually in an office scenario. Whether circular or flat, they do really well facing down, which means you want to put them up top. If that's the use case, you put them on the ceiling.

If I have a situation where the clients don't want to put it on the ceiling, I'll use the Access Point Flex HD, which is circular and I can place that on a desk or on a shelf or someplace and hide it.

What is most valuable?

The value here with using the Ubiquiti products across the board is that they're almost all single-pane management and the single-pane management is included. It's a huge benefit. If you go with other brands and you have to pay extra or pay an annual fee to use it, there's a huge cost difference between let's say a Meraki Solution, which I would say for an enterprise is much better. If I have 20 sites and I'm doing hundreds of access points, I'm going to go to Meraki as already I have a budget. This is a bigger enterprise.

This solution, however, is tailor-made to a small and medium business that may have three or four locations and you can manage it from a single point. I can either contract with a company that manages my portal for $10 a month. Or I can do it at Amazon or Google Compute, et cetera, or just in a cloud scenario. It's a really flexible solution and it's very cost-effective.

It's possible to scale the product.

What needs improvement?

The support is pretty much email-based and that's horrible for an enterprise product. I can't call anybody right away. I have to go back and forth with emails if I have a problem. The guys that work for me when we have to return them, generally speaking, we don't have issues, however, at $179 each, at some point, we don't waste time, we just buy another one. Then we'll get a few of them together and then we'll send them back due to the fact that it's easier to do it that way.

Overall, they are hard to source.

They don't play nice with vendors. They want you to buy it off their website. The website is often out of stock. It's really bad from that perspective. If I'm doing a project, I don't want to have to maintain a stock of equipment. I want to be able to buy it from a vendor right away.

The stability is not the greatest.

I've used the solution for more than 12 months. I've used the product for a while.

I've had stability issues. It's not the most stable solution. Meraki is better.

The scalability is there. For example, if the company has five warehouses across the country and I want to deploy long-range access points, across the different warehouses, I can have them delivered, installed, and boom, I'm done. We just do that and it's great. If I want to manage them, I add them all to my portal. I can update them all in one shot. I can apply the security, I can do WPA and if I'm doing WPA2, I can change it to Radius. There are so many features there and it's easy to manage. If I want to replicate the installation, it's really easy. I just copy. The site's easy to build and it takes 10 minutes. It's much easier than Aruba, which has more steps.

They only offer email support. They need to have real phone support to avoid having to go back and forth over long amounts of time.

I'm also familiar with Meraki and Aruba, which are a bit more expensive, and may be better for larger setups. With Aruba, you do get better coverage than Meraki, however, it is on the more expensive side.

The initial setup is easy, however, it's not enterprise-grade.

The pricing is very good and it's a great option for small or medium-sized organizations. It's around $179 a device.

The issue is you can't buy them easily. That's the biggest downfall of Ubiquiti is they don't have a good supply chain and maybe that's indicative of the times. However, even prior to the coronavirus, the pandemic, we still had trouble getting them.

What other advice do I have?

Most of the time I'm going to go with the Pro switches - the PoE 48 port switches, or, if it's a smaller branch office and they only have a few users, I do the 24 ports. I use the long-range Wifi 6 ones, or the short, the regular Wifi 6 ones, which they call the Wifi 6 Light, as well.

Some of the time, depending upon the aesthetic, or the type of office, they don't want to put anything on the wall or in the ceiling. Therefore, I put there what they call the APUI. It's not the Wifi 6, however, it's pretty good. I'm trying to stick with Wifi 6 as I'm getting the best throughput pretty much throughout whenever I use it. There's an access point called the Access Point Flex HD which is the one I really like.

I'm neither a reseller or a partner with Ubiquiti. When I represent my clients, I give the clients some options. Sometimes they say, "We want to go with Ubiquiti." Or they want to go with Meraki. I don't make money on the sale of the equipment for the simple reason I don't want to be connected to one vendor. If I represent that vendor, that means I'm going to basically push that vendor. I don't want to do that. I want to give the client the best solution for them.

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

BearGFR - PeerSpot reviewer
    owner at zResource
    Good throughput, flexible configuration, and many capabilities, but technical support could be improved
    • "Because it's a managed switch, I have the ability to set controls and configure traffic priorities, VLAN ports, etc."
    • "It would be nice if there was a way to label all of the ports on it so that I could include information about where the various connections go."

What is our primary use case?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches does everything I need it to do. I've been pretty happy with it. It's a wired switch, that's what it does.

How has it helped my organization?

It performs better, has better throughput than my previous switch and it's also a managed switch, whereas my previous one was just a dumb switch.

This gives me more flexibility in how I configure it.

What is most valuable?

Because it's a managed switch, I have the ability to set controls and configure traffic priorities, VLAN ports, etc.

It doesn't really have anything that sets it apart from any other professional grade switch. It essentially does what they all do.

What needs improvement?

This falls under the category of a nice-to-have feature. It's not much of anything.

I have a wired switch in my server room that runs cabling throughout the facility, and it would be nice to be able to look at a port and immediately know the location and load on that port, and what's running on it.

I have worked with Ubiquiti UniFi Switches for two years.

I have an EdgeSwitch 24.

In terms of stability, I like it pretty well, though one of the ports on it went dead about two or three weeks ago.

I am a little concerned about that, but it's not uncommon for a switch to have a bad port. I am keeping an eye on it to see if it continues to degrade or if I have only lost that one port. Apart from that, I am pretty pleased with it.

It's a switch. You buy it based on how many ports you require. This one has 24 ports, and if I wanted to expand it, I would have to get a different model with more ports.

There are two SFP ports available for inserting and connecting to a different type of driver.

I'm not using them right now because I don't need them, but they are there in case I do.

We are a consulting firm. We do remote support for various customers. It's basically the in-house network that connects all of my workstations to each other and also gives us all access to the internet.

It's pretty stable right now. We don't have any immediate expansion plans. We hope to in the future, but for now, it's doing everything we need it to.

Technical support has changed over the years.

I haven't needed any technical support with this switch. Although, I do have a lot of their other equipment, such as wifi access points and routers, and the like.

I don't want to say that they are worse than anyone else, but they are certainly not any better.

I have almost exclusively worked with Ubiquiti products.

I have their EdgeSwitch product line.

As IT support consultants, we work for a wide range of companies, some of which are quite large. I am sure they have a wide range of products available.

They are networking hardware, which I usually don't get involved in because I work on the software side.

It is not overly complicated. It all depends on which features you intend to use. If you don't want to change anything, you can run the thing pretty much plug and play out of the box. Aside from that, it all depends on how fancy you want to get with it.

One of the reasons I chose it was because it is flexible. Because you have to configure some things on it, it's obviously more difficult to set up than a simple unmanaged plug and place switch, but it's not overly difficult in my opinion.

This one that I am running now probably took me less than two hours to get it up and running and doing what I needed it to do.

The deployment was completed entirely in-house.

We are not a large company. I do all of the maintenance and deployment myself.

We are not big enough to care about that kind of thing. I just need equipment that will help our business here, and it has done so so far.

There are no licensing fees; you just purchase it and run it.

Occasionally there are upgrades to the firmware that you have to check for, download, and install. But, you basically buy it, set it up, and run it.

I suppose if I needed a support contract with them or something, there might be some annual fees or something like that, but I don't need that level of support.

The only other operating costs would be the power required to run it.

Pricing is somewhere in the middle. It is not as expensive as some of the other name brands, such as Cisco and other similar products. But nowadays, you pay as much for the name as you do for anything else. But I would say that it's in the middle.

What other advice do I have?

Ubiquiti may be about to or has already discontinued its Edge product line. They have upgraded their switches and routers to replace them. I don't have any of those, so I'm not familiar with them. I am not really sure, and I could be wrong about it discontinuing. I just saw some comments on some of the forums about this possibly happening.

It is somewhat dependent on the class. When compared to what I call home consumers, it is far superior because it has more capabilities. However, if I were to compare it to other commercial grades, such as Cisco and some of the others, I would rate Ubiquiti UniFi Switches a seven out of ten.

John Balogh - PeerSpot reviewer
    Director of IT at a religious institution with 11-50 employees
    Centrally managed solution makes it easy to build one configuration and apply it to new devices
    • "Ubiquiti is one step above the consumer level. They cost a little bit more, but they just seem to be drop-dead reliable, and they're keeping up with the latest standards."
    • "Ubiquiti tends to end-of-life things faster than other companies do. Cisco tends to be in the 8-, 10-, 12-year time frame, and Ubiquiti tends to be in the 4- or 5-year time frame."

What is most valuable?

We have one or two UniFi switches, but they don't really compete with the Ciscos. It's a nice environment as far as keeping track of things and being able to manage ports, turn off rogue users, and stuff like that. The access points have been pretty convenient compared to Meraki, Lucent, Cisco, or any of the other bigger vendors that I used to deal with for other consulting projects.

Ubiquiti is one step above the consumer level. They cost a little bit more, but they just seem to be drop-dead reliable, and they're keeping up with the latest standards. Their latest versions of access points are all Wi-Fi 6, and they don't take very much power when there aren't a lot of users.

It's really easy to build one configuration and just apply it to new devices.

It's a check mark box: Do I want this to be the staff VLAN, or the public VLAN, or the Voice over IP VLAN, or the security VLAN, or the house wiring VLAN, or the building logistics VLAN? You just check things off and then you make groups, so if you click on it, it applies all the appropriate things automatically. It makes it very easy.

This solution is good for the prosumer, small office, medium office, under 500 people range, but probably over 50 people and maybe distributed around five or 10 sites. That's a pretty good sweet spot as far as the price for the equipment and the configurability, and it's just drop-dead reliable. It's been boring, which is what I love because I don't get any calls in the middle of the night that something isn't working.

What needs improvement?

Ubiquiti tends to end-of-life things faster than other companies do. Cisco tends to be in the 8-, 10-, 12-year time frame, and Ubiquiti tends to be in the 4- or 5-year time frame. If you buy Ubiquiti, you'll probably need to replace it in a period of time, but it's going to work flawlessly unless it gets hit with lightning. They don't survive lightning hits very well, but that's what insurance policies are for.

The stability is rock solid.

It's scalable. I wouldn't want to scale it up to 500 nodes per site. You probably need a bigger management system than what they have. There's a tune toward maybe 100 to 200 devices, and you can use search terms and write custom scripts to pull out particular variables that you want. If I want to have a plot of the number of access points with high re-transmission rates over the last month, that doesn't come by default out of the box. I had to write a script for that, but it was pretty easy. It's normal IT stuff. Every case is different.

For the companies that have 5-10 physical sites and 50-200 networking devices – not user devices – this is fine. I would say under 1,000 or 2,000 user devices but under 500 or 200 network devices. This is the sort of sweet spot for that, and it worked out really well for us. We looked at other options, and we just decided to go with this because it was working so well on a couple of our sites.

I have worked with Meraki, Lucent, and Cisco.

Compared to Cisco, unless you're going to have tens of thousands of devices, or you have a budget that nobody cares about, Ubiquiti is much easier to set up. It's not like the smaller things like the Netgears and D-Links where you need a configuration for each device. If lightning takes out a site and you have to rebuild that site, you have to go and rebuild each device.

With Ubiquiti, I have a backup copy in the Cloud somewhere. I just download that, blast it onto the new controller, drop the new controller in, and replace any of the wiring that got burned and put in new access points. I can be back up and running in half an hour to two hours. It's amazingly easy because it's all centrally managed.

Once you've learned how to do a Ubiquiti setup, then everything else is like a rubber stamp. It's very trivial. I just copy a configuration and paste it into a new controller, and I'm up and running in half an hour. I can bring up five APs or 60 or 70 APs and if the wiring is done and we just have to go place the APs, that takes up the most time. It's physically climbing up the ladder and screwing the thing into the wall.

For everything else with the software configuration, they do the auto-learn. They pick up their own address pool, and we're running them on separate VLANs from everything else. There's management VLAN that takes care of setting them up and pushing configurations out and doing updates. But there are the user VLANs. That's what people think that they're talking to when they are connecting with their cell phones or their laptops. That's all separate for security reasons.

For maintenance, we have just one guy who takes care of terminations and hanging APs. He does a lot of other things as well with DC Cat5 and Cat6 wiring and low voltage stuff. I'm the only one who does the software end of the management. So, it's really just two guys.

Realistically, I don't have to do this. It's not something I even look at every day because it sends me a text message when there's something horrible going on. It sends me an email status message at 1:00 a.m. every day.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Cisco might be just one point higher, but twice as expensive. If you really want to save money, then you're getting down into the quality of five or six when you're talking about D-Link and Netgear.

Gilbert Mwiinga - PeerSpot reviewer
    Baobab College logo System Administrator at Baobab College
    Beneficial user interface for monitoring, helpful online support, but better security needed
    • "The most valuable feature of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is the graphic user interface for monitoring, where you can see the status of the device in real-time. I use those features across the campus. I use the APs as my beacons to tell me whether the area of the school of the network is down or not. Those will be the first to alert me that there is a problem with the network or a device. They provide me with more than only monitoring themselves, I use them in order to monitor all the devices."
    • "Ubiquiti UniFi Switches can improve by putting more effort into security. There are not many options in security. Other solutions, you can filter, do access control, and functionality. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches provides all the basic network security where it's all about the password for someone to access the SSID on the network, but it doesn't go beyond advanced network features of packet filtering, monitoring, and managing users."

What is our primary use case?

I use Ubiquiti UniFi Switches to deploy new UniFi devices and to monitor the devices. I use it to find and manage users connected to those devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is the graphic user interface for monitoring, where you can see the status of the device in real-time. I use those features across the campus. I use the APs as my beacons to tell me whether the area of the school of the network is down or not. Those will be the first to alert me that there is a problem with the network or a device. They provide me with more than only monitoring themselves,  I use them in order to monitor all the devices.

What needs improvement?

I have been using Ubiquiti UniFi Switches for approximately nine years.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are stable.

The scalability of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is good. If I buy a new device, I only have to plug it in, it adopts and runs from then on.

We have approximately 600 users connected to the Ubiquiti UniFi Switches. I'm taking into account everyone who connects to the WiFi.

The technical support from Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is good. I haven't had reason to contact them very often, but the few times I've contacted them, I've received the help I needed.

I haven't contacted them often because their self-service knowledge base is good. You always find information online about how to solve an issue before you reach out to support.

The initial setup of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is very easy.

Ubiquiti is one of the cheapest WiFi network providers that provide a very good WiFi network, which is monitored and deployable. The price is very fair for the technology they're offering.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others is Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is a good technique if you want to run it in a small business, where your major concern is not security. If you're not dealing with a data-sensitive organization, that deals in transactions, such as a bank, it's a good choice.

If you use SSP switches they go up to about 10GB per second which is fast on the network. You can use the switches on the core network. However, the only issue is the security aspect of it, you need to invest in something with higher-end security if you're dealing with an enterprise network, where you need proper data protection and user protection.

I rate Ubiquiti UniFi Switches a seven out of ten.

AlexChubarov - PeerSpot reviewer
    Network and CyberSecurity Engineer at Nextro
    Reseller
    A stable solution that provides value for money and comes with a user-friendly interface
    • "Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are stable and support Layer 3. They come with a user-friendly interface. If you're not familiar with the command-line interface or you wouldn't like to configure it by using the command line, they have a user-friendly interface that you can use. They also have good documentation about how to use these switches."
    • "They can improve the visibility of networks to match Meraki switches, which have good visibility tools to go through the network. In a Meraki device, you get a clear picture when using the bug interface. You can also see its neighbors and have a clear picture of all connected devices. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches do not have such features that Meraki switches provide."

What is most valuable?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are stable and support Layer 3. They come with a user-friendly interface. If you're not familiar with the command-line interface or you wouldn't like to configure it by using the command line, they have a user-friendly interface that you can use. They also have good documentation about how to use these switches.

What needs improvement?

They can improve the visibility of networks to match Meraki switches, which have good visibility tools to go through the network. In a Meraki device, you get a clear picture when using the bug interface. You can also see its neighbors and have a clear picture of all connected devices. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches do not have such features that Meraki switches provide.

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are stable. If you configure them properly, and they are in a proper server room with good cooling, they work fine.

Scalability is probably possible, but it is not common to scale these. Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are more suitable if you don't need to create a really big, scalable solution at an enterprise level, and you have two or three switches with a firewall. For a big company, in terms of scalability, Cisco or F5 switches work better than Ubiquiti switches. If you have a good budget, Cisco or F5 would be better.

If you would like to scale Ubiquiti UniFi Switches, you probably can. They are probably not difficult to scale. It depends on your skills. I have not scaled them before.

They are good. In the last year, we did not have any issues with their switches.

They just give you a small card. You can scan the code on the card and go to the web page. You can also directly go to the web page to see the documents. They do not provide any documents with the box. You need to go to the internet to see how to do the initial setup, that is, how to set the login ID, password, default IP (if it exists), and other options.

As compared to Ubiquiti, Cisco provides exact communication about whether the IP address needs to be configured on the device or whether it is pre-configured.

The price of Ubiquiti UniFi Switches is really good. We have deployed a few Ubiquiti UniFi Switches in New Zealand, and they are a value for money. They are cheaper and stable, but if you have the budget, I would recommend Meraki switches.

What other advice do I have?

Ubiquiti UniFi Switches are suitable for small companies. I don't know any company that uses these at the enterprise level. If Ubiquiti wants to brand it as a big enterprise solution, it needs to advertise and promote these switches accordingly.

I would rate Ubiquiti UniFi Switches an eight out of ten.

IT Administrator at a outsourcing company with 1-10 employees
    Easy to install with a reasonable cost and good stability
    • "I haven't found the cost of the solution to be too high."
    • "I'd like there to be better reporting for the solution."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a bridge to extend our LAN.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good for expanding our LAN.

The product has proven itself to be stable.

The scalability is very good.

The installation itself is very easy.

I haven't found the cost of the solution to be too high.

What needs improvement?

Given that it has a portal, which is online, if it can be accessed remotely that would be ideal. If they can add that feature or if there is that feature, they need to make it public.

I'd like there to be better reporting for the solution.

I've used the solution for a couple of years at this point.

The stability is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable in terms of the performance on offer.

The product is scalable. There are no issues if a company needs to expand it.

We have 30 people using Ubiquiti Switches in our organization.

We do plan to continue to use them.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. There hasn't been an issue that has required us to reach out. Therefore, I can't speak to how helpful or responsive they are in general.

The installation process is pretty straightforward. it's not overly complex or difficult.

Our local supplier in Zimbabwe is the one who has been doing all these configurations for me, however, the implementation is not that difficult. You can just use a manual to configure it. It's not much of a hassle. It's more like a plug-and-play solution. I am also using the wifi distribution access point. They are not a challenge at all. It took me less than five minutes.

We have a local supplier that has done our configurations. However, at this point, I have acquired enough knowledge to be able to do it by myself.

For what I'm using Ubiquiti for, there hasn't been any need for licenses as it's more like a plug-and-play setup. I'm just using a portal, which is free as well. There hasn't been much cost involved in using the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are a customer and end-user. We don't have a business relationship with Ubiquiti.

I'm using the latest version of the solution at this time. I cannot speak to the exact version number.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten overall.

I would definitely recommend the product to other users and companies.

Download our free Ubiquiti UniFi Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: September 2022