IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

TIBCO Mashery API Management OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

TIBCO Mashery API Management is #17 ranked solution in top API Management tools. PeerSpot users give TIBCO Mashery API Management an average rating of 8 out of 10. TIBCO Mashery API Management is most commonly compared to Apigee: TIBCO Mashery API Management vs Apigee. TIBCO Mashery API Management is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 72% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 27% of all views.

Download the API Management Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2022

What is TIBCO Mashery API Management?

TIBCO Mashery Enterprise is a modern API platform for digital business that covers the entire API lifecycle.

TIBCO Mashery API Management was previously known as Mashery API Management.

TIBCO Mashery API Management Customers

uShip, Sabre, TouchTunes, Best Buy, Cisco, Comcast, athenahealth, Coca-Cola Enterprises, CentralIndex.com, Constant Contact, Edmunds.com, FoodEssentials, Getty Images, Klout, Rovi, Rotten Tomatoes, Sportradar, TomTom, ACTIVE.com

TIBCO Mashery API Management Video

Archived TIBCO Mashery API Management Reviews (more than two years old)

Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Good standard feature offering and good scalability but the pricing is a bit high
  • "The solution is a good general API manager. They have a few propriety features but are offering items that are standard in the industry as well."
  • "Policy management has been a bit of a concern."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for B2B integration.

What is most valuable?

The solution is a good general API manager. They have a few propriety features but are offering items that are standard in the industry as well. We personally prefer TIBCO because we are comfortable using it. We haven't had any issues with it and it's worked well for a very long time for our company. The scalability offered by the solution has been quite good.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved. It's too expensive right now. Policy management has been a bit of a concern. We've had issues with upgrading APIs, however, that could be related to configuration difficulties.

I've been working on the solution for about 15 years.
May 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Google, MuleSoft and others in API Management. Updated: May 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The scalability has been great for us. It's been a very good selling point. We're happy with how much we can scale up.

TIBCO is just a different way of dealing with different products. There are many on the market we've dealt with and looked at. For some companies, TIBCO is better. Others may find Apigee or CA Layer 7 is better. If I were to pick, I would say Layer 7 is even easier to use when compared to TIBCO. That's just my opinion.

The pricing is a bit high, but it is by no means the most expensive option on the market.

What other advice do I have?

We've had TIBCO installed in the middleware all over the place including in our back and front-end systems. I would say about 20 to 25 systems altogether within our organization have TIBCO on them. Whether a company should deploy the solution of not depends on the business itself and the need and the necessity. There are products that are cheaper than TIBCO. And, just by being cheap, they may not be as good as TIBCO. There are products that are more expensive than TIBCO as well. That doesn't mean that they're better. It's been a while since I've worked with the system, but I would rate it seven out of ten overall.
Chief Technology Officer at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
Reasonable pricing and pretty straightforward but needs better security
  • "The reason why we selected the solution originally was because of its ability to have a gateway both on-premise and in the cloud. This is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us."
  • "The security needs improvement, specifically, propagation of security to an API. Calling other APIs is something that is missing in the product and that makes us think about going to a competitor."

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution to expose our APIs so it can be used by a civil customer, where there are mainly internal touchpoints. We are also using it to expose our APIs internally.

What is most valuable?

The reason why we selected the solution originally was because of its ability to have a gateway both on-premise and in the cloud. This is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

What needs improvement?

The solution's interface could be improved, as well as the dashboard, management, and monitoring tools. They're okay, but they could be better.

We've been using the solution since 2014, about six years now.

Although we only have about ten or so people on our end using the solution,  I would say the number of transactions the solution deals with is anywhere from one million and up to several million per day.

The solution's technical support took a lot of time to assist us in the past. This was mainly due to the fact that it had been acquired by TIBCO and TIBCO didn't have the right number of people or enough qualified people present in terms of support back in France and in the Netherlands. However, they've since fixed these issues and we find them to be okay.

The pricing is reasonable. It's not too high, so there's no reason to complain about the cost structure.

What other advice do I have?

We're partners with TIBCO and use other products of theirs as well.

I would rate the solution six out of ten.

The solution, in terms of the needs our company has, are not being met yet. In order to rate it higher, the solution needs to meet more of our needs, especially in terms of security propagation of the token.

I would advise others to start maybe with the SAAS version in the cloud, which is where we are moving. It's best not to go for a hybrid implementation at the core.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

May 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Integration Architect at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Has the ability to have different packages based on the API keys but the setup is complex
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to have different packages based on the API keys. The same core system can have different packages based on different environments."
  • "The way agile life cycle is working needs improvement. I also want to see more support for open API standards. I want to see some improvement on the protocol transformation. That is quite missing now. These are the three main issues."

What is our primary use case?

We mainly use it to expose APIs for internal and external usage.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to have different packages based on the API keys. The same core system can have different packages based on different environments.

What needs improvement?

The way the Agile life cycle works needs improvement. I also want to see more support for open API standards. I want to see some improvement in the protocol transformation. That is missing now. These are the three main issues.

We've been using this solution for seven or eight months.

Based on my usage, it was quite stable.

We didn't reach the point where we tested the scalability of the system, because it was not productive. We only had three users.

Their customer support was pretty good. They resolved the problem every time, but sometimes there were technical limitations of the product itself. Every time we asked for their support they were very supportive.

There were some drawbacks on a low level, not from a high level perspective.

The initial setup was a little bit complex due to the fact that the first one was on premise, so we had some tech problems. We solved it, but it was a little bit complex in the beginning. The deployment took us two or three days, at least.

I used an external consultancy company for the implementation.

The main difference was that it was a little bit more mature in certain areas and the fact that we were, as a company, already experienced with TIBCO is why we took the direction of TIBCO itself.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to check all the features from a low-level perspective if they fit exactly the needs of the company at the moment that it is trying to using this solution. I have also checked other products and I'm working on other similar products. The thing that I experienced is that most of the high functionalities can be offered by everyone. Everything can be done by everyone, or at least the basic functions can be done by anyone. The main difference is at a low level. I experienced that sometimes only when you try the product can you really see the potential of it.

So the suggestion that I want to make is simply, before choosing it, try it. Whatever questions you can take to them, the answer will be every time, "Yes, we can do everything." But then when you try the product you see the real capabilities and the real pain points if there are any, not that there are pain points every time.

I would rate this as a seven out of ten. Besides the three main issues I mentioned, TIBCO is also missing some other features: ones that are quite standard for the market but not standard for this product, somehow. The ones I noted are the main reasons, but there are a lot of others.

I gave it a seven because it's mature as a product, but it's not mature enough regarding the differing needs around APIs these days. The solution is good, but it's not good enough.

it_user708195 - PeerSpot reviewer
Global Head of eCommerce Web Operations at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Offering API services to customers has provided a new stream of traffic though management console is not intuitive
  • "Conversion to RESTful and SOAP protocols and management console (can manage individually throttled settings to manage our service levels for customers)."
  • "This has provided a new stream of traffic and exposure of our catalogue beyond the normal web store offering."
  • "Very few outages or SLA issues."
  • "The management console of API and customers' applications are not the most intuitive."

What is most valuable?

How has it helped my organization?

We previously didn’t offer any API services to customers, so this has provided a new stream of traffic and exposure of our catalogue beyond the normal web store offering. We have also adopted the intercompany API Service as well.

Over five years.

Very few outages or SLA issues.

None.

Sometimes, we have had issues pushed back to us as our “issue”, which was proven not to be the case. This can happen too quickly, seemingly without their investigating the root cause, but it hasn’t been a regular problem.

TIBCO/Mashery is our first provider in this area.

I can't comment as I wasn’t involved initially, but we are going through a migration to a new endpoint for the API service and Mashery are supporting us for this complex area.

We have secured terms on which we have been happy to renew for a number of years. However, this is an older Mashery-based contract which have been informed will change over to TIBCO and may not have as favourable terms. Not involved, so I can't comment.

Not involved, so I can't comment.

What other advice do I have?

TIBCO/Mashery do offer good support and training options, so make sure you take full advantage of those to get as much as you can from the system, etc.

Download our free API Management Report and find out what your peers are saying about TIBCO, Google, MuleSoft, and more!
Updated: May 2022