Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Sophos SafeGuard OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Sophos SafeGuard is #2 ranked solution in top Endpoint Encryption tools and top Mobile Data Protection tools. PeerSpot users give Sophos SafeGuard an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Sophos SafeGuard is most commonly compared to Microsoft BitLocker: Sophos SafeGuard vs Microsoft BitLocker. Sophos SafeGuard is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 50% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Endpoint Encryption Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: August 2022

What is Sophos SafeGuard?
Protect your confidential information and comply with regulatory mandates safely and securely with SafeGuard Enterprise, Utimaco's comprehensive modular information protection platform. SafeGuard Enterprise is a modular information protection control platform that enforces policy-based security for PCs and mobile devices across mixed environments. SafeGuard Enterprise offers full transparency to end-users and is easy to administer from a single central console.

Sophos SafeGuard was previously known as SafeGuard, SafeGuard Encryption.

Sophos SafeGuard Customers
Rushmoor Borough Council
Sophos SafeGuard Video

Archived Sophos SafeGuard Reviews (more than two years old)

Head of Information Security Service at a marketing services firm with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and stable but needs better key management
  • "It's quite easy to integrate Safeguard with BitLocker"
  • "When you have the PPM chipset, you can have the power-on authentication, when you boot up your machine, you can set the six-digit passcode. As of right now, SafeGuard can't manage the six-digit passcode in terms of the expiration, and I need that added as a feature."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for endpoint encryption within our organization.

What is most valuable?

The management and the removable media encryption are two of the solution's most valuable features, in my opinion. They're very useful.

It's quite easy to integrate Safeguard with BitLocker.

What needs improvement?

In the latest versions, from Windows 8 onwards, everything is encrypted using BitLocker. What we require is key management, and in particular, policy management surrounding keys. There should be an option wherein I should be able to set the policy to exploit the BitLocker POA keys, and able to manage and reset the keys. Right now, the solution doesn't have this as an option.

From version eight, Windows 8 onwards, SafeGuard doesn't work 100% of the time. So we have to use BitLocker for the encrypting. Only the key management is done by SafeGuard.

I have used the solution for maybe more than five years.

Endpoint Encryption
August 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, Broadcom and others in Endpoint Encryption. Updated: August 2022.
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We've found the solution quite effective in terms of stability. There aren't bugs or glitches. We don't experience crashes. It's reliable.

Our organization hasn't run into any issues with scaling. If a company needs to expand its usage, it should be able to do so quite easily.

Currently, it's just my team that handles Safeguard in the company. Not everyone in the organization has access to it. We do use it daily.

We have contacted technical support in the past, and so far I can say that we've been completely satisfied. They've been very helpful and we don't have any complaints to speak of.

The initial setup was quite easy. We didn't find it to be complex.

Deployment doesn't take much time. It depends on the hard disk. Most installations shouldn't take more than thirty minutes at a maximum to finalize.

Our team was able to deploy the solution ourselves. We didn't require an integrator, consultant, or reseller to assist us in this endeavor.

What other advice do I have?

We're merely a customer of the solution. We don't have a special relationship with Sophos.

We mostly deploy the solution on-premises, and only occasionally on the cloud.

I don't think I have much advice to give to other companies in regard to this product. We use it to manage BitLocker and find it very easy to set up. Organizations shouldn't have trouble implementing it into their business. We never have had issues with it in terms of implementation.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

Mohamed Y Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at GateLock
Encrypts files for all operating systems, from the hard disk to USB drives
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are encryption tools that encrypt the hard disk and the USB sticks."
  • "The security does not have 100% authentication."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for this solution is data encryption and decryption.

How has it helped my organization?

It is giving our customers the capability to encrypting their sensitive data from being breaches by attackers as even if dropped for any reason in them hands it will be encrypted and not useful.

It is working for too many kinds of data, data in rest, data in use and data in motion. By full disk encryption, file encryption, portable devices encryption and encryption in the cloud.

With a familiar dashboard and central management it makes the job easier for IT professionals.

It is also managed through Sophos Central cloud not all features but it's in them road map.

What is most valuable?

Sophos SafeGuard has one of the most perfect advantages, which is the data keys for encryption.

This solution uses an agent, and the agent is talking with many operating systems. It encrypts on the cloud and on the hard disk.

Even if you want to create it with login access before the Windows boot, it is working for the booting process and you can encrypt files on the mobile and use its agent also.

The features that I have found most valuable are encryption tools that encrypt the hard disk and the USB sticks. The data that is moved and the data at rest need to be encrypted.

They are not using the booting encryption because it creates heavy processing on the work station, and that delays the work. Instead, they have chosen to encrypt files that are in transit, or that are in rest only.

What needs improvement?

The encryption could be improved. If they could find a way to make the encryption and decryption to be the same on the work-stations, it would be better.

Some of the encryption settings have a complex configuration.

Here in Egypt, they don't prioritize the selling of this solution and there is no compliance from the government. There is not enough marketing for this solution. If they give it some priority it will become more familiar to customers. Many of our customers need a solution that uses encryption technology.

The security does not have 100% authentication.

This solution is complex in the development process. Customers are asking for things that are needed in the development and this solution is not easy to develop.

In the next release, I would like to see processing on the appliance and not to install it on any machine. It will be in the network layers and able to communicate with all workstations.

It would be better to have the encryption and decryption processing on the appliance and not on the workstations.

This is a stable solution.

This solution is very easy to scale. It does not need any upgrades. You make it to your sizing and keep it to expand with the company's needs, and they can expand it at any time.

The technical support is very good, but there are delays at times with the response.

The initial setup is straightforward, not complex.

What other advice do I have?

The more customers that use this solution the better it will be in terms of developing or improving the technical issues. It will be an opportunity to have issues resolved as it will give it some importance.

They are progressing and doing some amazing things because Sophos Central is now managing the encryption but not all features.

I would recommend this solution.

Endpoint Encryption
August 2022
633,952 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Oche Ankeli - PeerSpot reviewer
Head of IT at Digital Oak LTD
An excellent endpoint solution that's easy to setup, very stable, and highly secure
  • "With Sophos, I only need to generate the password and give that to a user to be able to allow them to login to the admin page of the Endpoint and do whatever they need to do. The user cannot go ahead and uninstall it. It's kept us much more secure because of this. Should any event happen on a particular system, I'm given the username and the system IP address. I get notifications and can deal with issues right away."
  • "If it's possible, they should make all the features available because it's got a lot of features on offer, but you have to buy the license in order to add those features to the normal Endpoint. If they could make all those features available and/or offer a bundling option it would be better."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as an endpoint antivirus action for the system.

How has it helped my organization?

In terms of security, we were a bit lacking before we introduced Sophos. I was using another Endpoint solution before. While we were using that, I realized that I was seeing a few security challenges. The biggest plus for me is the fact that I could manage web traffic, web services or other traffic using the Endpoint solution. I can lock it, and basically I'm the only person that can control everything.

What is most valuable?

I use all the features. they're all excellent. One of the aspects of the solution that I like the most is the fact that I can control my peripherals without having to use it for part of the application.

With Sophos, I only need to generate the password and give that to a user to be able to allow them to log in to the admin page of the Endpoint and do whatever they need to do. The user cannot go ahead and uninstall it. It's kept us much more secure because of this. Should any event happen on a particular system, I'm given the username and the system IP address. I get notifications and can deal with issues right away.

With Central Synchronisation, the Sophos Endpoint can be linked with Sophos firewall to constantly monitor the health status of computers on your network.

A policy on the health status of each computer can be configured to determine actions that will be take should a computer be found infected.

if the health status of the computer changes, the computer can be denied access to the internet and other segments of the network and reported to the admin and Sophos Endpoint will disinfect the system, report the health status to Sophos firewall and access to the internet and other segments of the network will be granted to the computer.

all of these is done without human intervention.

Sophos Sandstorm is a powerful, cloud-based, next-generation sandbox that detects, blocks and reports on ransomware and evasive threats. A sandbox is an isolated environment used to execute suspicious files attached to emails and downloaded from websites to determine if they contain malware

What needs improvement?

If you're talking about technical support, their endpoint support needs improvement. Their UTM is doing well, however.

If it's possible, they should make all the features available because it's got a lot of features on offer, but you have to buy the license in order to add those features to the normal Endpoint. If they could make all those features available and/or offer a bundling option it would be better.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is 95% stable.

In terms of scalability, if you have a license, you could add more licenses, except that, for instance, if I already bought a 50 user license, and then I want to buy an additional 50 later. The new license will not read the new date. It will be reading the old date of the old license. Both license will expire at the same time. In that sense, I don't think it's really that good for scalability purposes.

Currently, we have 110 users. We have plans to increase usage in the coming months.

The customer service has really improved.

They ensure that your case is treated same day and assign a case ID for future reference.

We previously used Kaspersky Advanced. We switched because we discovered that there were a lot of features that we didn't have on Kaspersky that were available on Sophos. One is Intercept X which takes care of whatever infection there is on your system before you even know it.

You could synchronize Sophos Endpoint with a Sophos UTM and define which system or what category of system should be allowed access to the internet, based on their health status. That's not available with the previous antivirus I was using.

In the end, Sophos gave us a better price, with better features and better offers.

The initial setup was straightforward, except for the fact that because it has to download the installation file online, it takes a while. It would be easier if they could make an offline installation possible. Deployment takes from 20 minutes and up.

I handled the implementation myself.

We have a yearly license with Sophos which is around $1000-$1200 or so per annum. There are no additional costs beyond the standard licensing fee.

We did not evaluate other options before switching from Kaspersky to Sophos.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would recommend the solution. New users should ensure that they get every module that they need.

I had a friend whose server was attacked by ransomware. It became a challenge for them. However, by installing Sophos Intercept X for servers, you could lock down that server, so that no executive file or no program would run unless you unlock them. The programs that would function would only be the ones that you have listed on Sophos. I didn't know that existed until I started using Sophos Endpoint. The antivirus is not just running on my system to protect it against viruses, it's also allowing me to lock my systems so that nobody can execute anything without my authorization. It gives me enormous peace of mind.

I would rate the solution ten out of ten.

Sandro Pasquato - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Account Manager at Npo Sistemi
Complete end-to-end solution that protects and synchronizes your data
  • "The most valuable feature is the synchronized security. It's a unique feature on the market at this time only offered by Sophos. As a reseller, we often win bids and get clients because of this unique trademark feature."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see more automation with the endpoint logging, but it's a special feature that is quite complicated to explain."

What is our primary use case?

The customer needs a complete end-to-end solution to protect and synchronize their data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the synchronized security. It's a unique feature on the market at this time only offered by Sophos. As a reseller, we often win bids and get clients because of this unique trademark feature.

It's a complete end-to-end solution, which is a huge advantage.

It's easy to explain to customers.

We don't have to go from one product to another to address the needs of our customers. Everything you need is in the solution, and the license is embedded in the firewall.

What needs improvement?

When you compare Sophos SafeGuard to Palo Alto and other enterprise firewalls solutions, Sophos doesn't have the same market.

Palo Alto targets the SMB market and Sophos would like to approach the enterprise market, but it can be difficult to approach these customers without having the right offering.

Sophos has a rich roadmap to cover this area, but we are not aware of it, so it difficult for us to approach these customers without having the right offering.

In the next release, I would like to see more automation with the endpoint logging, but it's a special feature that is quite complicated to explain. There is a trick to implementing it. You have to implement some scripting into it.

I have been reselling Sophos SafeGuard for three years.

This solution is quite stable, but that was not the case two years ago. There was an issue with the UTM Firewall to the XG Firewall. However, with this latest version, there haven't been any issues.

This solution is scalable.

The project system throughout the entre firewall is the same. This means that we don't have different versions from the smaller to the larger models, making the scalability quite simple.

Our clients have less than five hundred users.

I have not contacted technical support. The service provider that we use filters the issues our customers have.

Approximately five years ago, I was using another solution but it was very different, and everything has changed. We are only dealing with Sophos software solutions. I can't compare it to a solution that I used five years ago.

The initial setup is quite simple and straightforward.

The length of deployment depends on the environment of the customer and the number of endpoints. On average, it can take four to five days.

Normally, one person is more than enough to deploy this solution, but that person must have network and security experience.

We have a small team in our company to implement this solution for our clients and on occasion, we leverage two other deployment partners.

The maintenance is provided by another service provider that we use, who specializes in this area. They monitor and upgrade this product. Along with the maintenance, they offer a service desk to support the security and the operating system.

The licenses are renewed every three years.

The licenses are dependant on the number of users and computers you have to protect.

This is a complete product that is offering full-feature bundles.

On occasion, if a customer is looking for better performance with their email protection, I offer a separate appliance for email protection. These features can be extracted from the firewall and used as a separate dedicated appliance to address the issues surrounding email protection. This is for on-premises versions only and is available to everyone. This is an extra feature which would be an additional cost.

It's a good solution for the SMB market but not enterprise.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos is the leading brand for information security.

Sophos is a complete solution that has a range of firewalls and all of the software bundles from the endpoint to the data center.

Along with our service providers and our team, who have a good understanding of the product, we use Sophos technicians to do the webcast for our customers. This occurs as part of the process, but typically not during the implementation phase.

Most of the time the customer doesn't require special features to be added.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Other
IT Network Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Very secure, and very stable but needs better technical support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for email and domain security for our computers and end-users.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has done a fabulous job of protecting us from threats.

What is most valuable?

The solution's most valuable feature is that it is very secure.

What needs improvement?

The pricing could be improved.

Technical support could be a bit better.

I've been using the solution about one year.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The scalability of the solution is good.

Technical support isn't so good; it needs to be improved.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup for me is straightforward, however a new user might have a few issues with it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model of the solution. We're a Sophos partner.

The solution is good. It doesn't have a heavy lag like others.

I'd rate it seven out of ten.

Presales Manager at provad
Good central management of encrypted devices, and strong anti-theft protection against data leakage
  • "Policy deployment is easy and quick to do."
  • "Having a DLP integrated with the encryption engine would be very good."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for encrypting our laptops.

This is an anti-theft solution because I can even encrypt the boot sector, which means that the user has to enter a password to unlock the operating system. If the laptop is stolen then everything is encrypted.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution helps us to improve security, especially for sensitive data. It helps to prevent the leakage of data from the laptops.

What is most valuable?

This solution allows us to easily manage devices from Sophos Central cloud.

Policy deployment is easy and quick to do.

This solution integrates well with the antivirus solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have more control over the files in the Sophos encryption system.

This solution needs to have more data loss prevention techniques. Having a DLP integrated with the encryption engine would be very good.

We have been using this solution for about a year.

This is a stable solution. We have had no issues with it.

This solution is used on a daily basis.

The cloud version is easy to scale. I just add a new license with the number of users. It is already deployed, and there is no more configuration.

We have about ten technical people, including admins, and about seventy-five end-users. As the company grows, so will our use of this solution.

The Sophos technical support is very helpful. We can open a chat or email them. They have a knowledge base for all cases of deployment.

Sometimes we have issues that take a long time to solve. They have a lot of teams, so once in a while, we open the case with one person but somebody else completes the ticket. This does not happen for the majority of the time.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup of this solution depends on the deployment model.

The cloud version is very straightforward to set up. Just select the package you want and send it to the client.

The on-premises version is very complicated. You have to first create the policy, then apply it and integrate your Active Directory, then install it on the machines. It's a very complicated process.

For the on-premises version, it takes about fifteen minutes to deploy after the initial setup and configuration. The initial configuration takes perhaps two days. It involves setting the policies for each of the users.

Our in-house team performed the implementation. There were five people involved.

Licensing for this solution is on a yearly basis. They tell you from day one how much it costs and what features you get. One of the great things about Sophos is if we have any added features that they send out, it will be included in the pricing. The price will not increase.

We evaluated other encryption solutions and we found that this was the easiest one to use, especially with cloud management.

Another reason that we chose this solution is that it is a standalone package. Kaspersky have an encryption solution, but it is part of a bundle with their endpoint solution. The advantage to standalone is that you can use it even if you don't have any Sophos endpoints.

What other advice do I have?

We are using the cloud version of this solution because the on-premises version does not have anti-ransomware or machine learning capability.

My advice for anybody who is implementing this solution is to also use the cloud version, rather than the on-premises edition. This is especially true if they have teleworkers or mobile users that are often off-premises.

The security of our data is important. One of our teams has a person who lost their laptop, and the team was not using this solution so it was not encrypted. We consider that to be data leakage.

Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Very good user experience and stability with good reporting features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for file encryption.

What is most valuable?

The reporting and file encryption are the solution's most valuable features.

The user experience and the quality of the features are good.

What needs improvement?

The tutorials need to be simplified. The existing ones need to be easier to follow and we could use some tutorials for basic setups. They should aim to be more like Cisco, which offers very good tutorials and materials.

If there was a way to automate the configuration, that would be ideal.

I've been using the solution for almost one year.

The solution is stable.

We haven't attempted to scale up yet, so I can't really comment on the scalability of the solution. Right now we have about 50 people using it.

We've never needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward. When we deployed it, it was very fast. Even the configuration was easy. We had everything done within a week. It could have even been done faster, but the distributor was waiting on some information from the customer. We only needed two people for deployment.

We had the assistance of a distributor for the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution nine out of ten.

BocarKane - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy, good performance and monitoring capability
  • "The monitoring features are easy to use."
  • "I would like to see a support-cloud, where Sophos creates a single package that contains all of its products."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution integrator, and this is one of the products that we supply to our clients.

The primary use of this solution is to protect data, and we have clients such as hotels who use it.

How has it helped my organization?

When our clients know that they have the ability to monitor their network security, they are satisfied.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the cloud-based supervision that is offered by Sophos Central.

The performance of this solution is good.

The monitoring features are easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We have been using this solution for three years.

This solution is very stable. To this point, we have had no problem with any of our clients.

This is a scalable solution.

One of our clients is a hotel and they have thirteen users.

Technical support for this solution is good, but we rarely contact them because we rarely see problems.

This solution is very easy to configure and deploy.

I perform the deployment myself.

What other advice do I have?

Sophos has another cloud platform that supports firewall management, and it is very easy to deploy.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

MehboobKhakhi - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Specialist at a non-tech company with 51-200 employees
Good performance with a user-friendly interface and a very easy initial setup
  • "The user interface is simple, It makes it very easy to use."
  • "The cost is rather expensive. It's a pain point for many clients. They should work to see if they can reduce pricing."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is primarily used for data protection.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers very good performance.

The user interface is simple, It makes it very easy to use.

What needs improvement?

We've only really been dealing with this solution for six months, so I haven't had time to note anything that is lacking in the solution.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. It's easy to expand the platform if you need to.

I've never had to contact technical support.

I didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

In general, clients are able to handle the implementation themselves.

The cost is not cheap. It's a rather expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We handle the on-premises deployment models.

I'd recommend the solution. I'd rate it eight out of ten.

Mohamed Y Ahmed - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical & Pre-Sales Manager at GateLock
A stable, easy to scale solution with very good encryption capabilities
  • "The most valuable features of the solution are the fact that they are able to encrypt the hard disk and to encrypt USB sticks."
  • "The solution is not using other features like booting encryption, because it causes very heavy processing of the workstation. If they could find some way to handle the encryption and decryption to be lighter on the workstation it would be better."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution are the fact that they are able to encrypt the hard disk and to encrypt USB sticks.

What needs improvement?

The solution is not using other features like booting encryption, because it causes very heavy processing of the workstation. If they could find some way to handle the encryption and decryption to be lighter on the workstation it would be better.

It would be ideal if the solution could make the processing possible on an appliance, instead of having to install it on a machine. Also, it should be in the network layers and communicate with more workstations. The encryption and decryption processing should not be on the workstation; rather it should be on the appliance.

The solution is very stable.

It's very, very easy to scale the solution. You do not need to make any upgrades. You just need to adjust the sizing to expand. You can expand at any time.

Technical support is very good, but sometimes they take a while to respond. This solution's very complex and still in the development process. Sometimes customers will ask for items that need to be developed or are not easy to develop. The solution is putting out a lot of updates, however, so they're constantly working to create a better product.

The initial setup was straight forward. The settings are not complex. However, sometimes some encryption settings have a complex configuration.

We are a distributor of the solution. We recommend users use professional services to assist us with the implementation.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten.

There's not a good market for this type of solution here in Egypt. It might be because here in Egypt there isn't a great need for this kind of solution yet. There are no compliance regulations from the government. However, the solution offers good features and I believe would be good for customers. There are so many areas where customers need encryption technology.

BilelRadaoui - PeerSpot reviewer
Project Manager at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Secures the network, defends it from attacks, and is easy to install
  • "The Intercept X feature is the most valuable feature. You can't find this feature in other firewalls because Intercept X works as if it has an interaction between the endpoint and the firewall."
  • "Sophos SafeGuard is a German product. Sophos isn't really active in Europe. The Middle East, Africa, South Africa works with Sophos but their primary users aren't in Europe. They should market and push this solution to the European market."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for security and VPN connection.

The uses can vary per customer. For example, one customer wanted to protect their network, with VPN connectivity. Sophos has good features that customers know and like. It is also less expensive than other firewalls. Other customers, for example, wanted to publish their websites and their servers. They wanted to protect their servers and publish them on the internet. Another customer needs to have security because they were attacked by ransomware.

What is most valuable?

The Intercept X feature is the most valuable feature. You can't find this feature in other firewalls because Intercept X works as if it has an interaction between the endpoint and the firewall. It makes a connection between the endpoint protection and the firewall. If Intercept X finds some behavior that's not right, it separates it and it secures the network to defend it from this attack. This is a good feature and development that Sophos implemented around five years ago.

What needs improvement?

Sophos SafeGuard is a German product. Sophos isn't really active in Europe. The Middle East, Africa, South Africa works with Sophos but their primary users aren't in Europe. They should market and push this solution to the European market.

I have been using this solution for four years. It's been at my company for around eight years.

This product is stable but we have had some complaints from other customers. There is a loop on the internet. Once we deploy Sophos in our topology or in our infrastructure, the behavior or their action creates a loop on the internet. Otherwise, it's easy to install and offers good security.

It is very scalable. If you compare the price of Sophos to Fortinet or Cisco, it's as expensive.

I would rate their technical support eight out of ten. There's a bit of a delay in their response time to tickets.

The setup is very easy because you just need to make the arrangements for your interfaces and your network port. After that, you can make your policy and can publish the servers. You might need more technical support for the security and for the firewall. If you come from an advanced organization, it might be more difficult and not as easy at first.

The amount of time it will take will vary per customer. If they ask for network protection features it will take, for example, a maximum of one hour. But if your customer has a topology in his network and he needs to make certain policies and synchronization with Active Directory, that will take time. The deployment can take a few days. It depends on the customer.

The licensing costs depend on the series. For example, XG 85 can be around $200. If you go to ACC or to a four or five-year enterprise solution, you will find these devices can cost $10,000. It depends on the series.

What other advice do I have?

Working with this solution will depend on your budget. If you purchase Sophos your data and your network will be secured. It's not more expensive than similar products. I recommend going with Sophos.

I would rate Sophos a 7.5 out of ten because there are better firewalls out there.

Darren Chaker - PeerSpot reviewer
Operator at Halliburton
Offers a three-click policy setup.

What is most valuable?

• The software offers a three-click policy setup
  • There is no key management servers to install
  • The compliance and reporting features are simple
  • The option for self-service key recovery for the user or administrator is simplistic.

How has it helped my organization?

As part of security consulting, different projects and clients require different levels of security. For the last few years, I used Sophos high security routers. I have come to find the full disk encryption and enterprise management options in SafeGuard to rank very well.

What needs improvement?

I do not see very many downfalls, but I would recommend adding a few different encryption algorithms. For example, adding Triple DES, Blowfish, and Twofish, would only provide added value to the users. They could then decide how to secure the data they are using the product for.

We have been using this solution for three years.

No deployment problems were encountered in any respect. Even using it on an Android phone was seamless.

There were no stability issues.

From single, high net worth people to a 430 person law firm, I have yet to hear a concern with scalability.

Customer service is very good. There have been no issues.

The two times tech support was needed, we received great service.

We did not try other solutions

It was easy to setup.

We did the implementation in-house.

Compared to the potential loss if a breach occurred, the little higher investment is worth protecting data.

Pricing is a little more than similar products. However, the name and bullet proof security offered is superior once you get into the fine details of what the product offers.

We evaluated BitLocker and Symantec PGP.

What other advice do I have?

For high security routers, whole disk security, and enterprise management, Sophos is and will continue to remain a leader.

Darren Chaker - PeerSpot reviewer
Darren ChakerOperator at Halliburton
Top 20Real User

A revised review of Sophos SafeGuard by Darren Chaker

it_user8430 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Administrator with 501-1,000 employees
Sophos SafeGuard: Custom Info Items for Absolute Manage

Whenever we implement new software, I try to include some tracking that can be used in Absolute Manage. Recently we’ve been working to get our Macs encrypted using Sophos SafeGuard full disk encryption. To make some reporting that is easy for our guys to use, I created two simple custom info items.
The first custom info item is for tracking the current encryption status of the Mac. This will list three different states of the drive including Not Installed, Encrypting, and Encrypted. This status will update in Absolute Manage every time inventory is taken of the machine, or you can force it by gathering inventory.

1 #!/bin/sh
3 #Check to see if SafeGuard is installed
4 if [ -f "/usr/bin/sgadmin" ]; then
5 /usr/bin/sgadmin --status | grep -A 3 "Volume info" | grep "| 0" | awk -F '|' '{print $5}'
6 else
7 echo "Not installed"
8 fi
9 exit 0

The second custom info item will show the last time the computer checked into the Enterprise console with it’s encryption status. We do our own tracking of the Macs using this field in Absolute Manage, but management does it’s tracking of both PCs and Macs in a separate central console.

1 #!/bin/sh
3 #Check to see if SafeGuard is installed
4 if [ -f "/usr/bin/sgadmin" ]; then
5 /usr/bin/sgadmin --status | grep "Last contact" | awk '{print $4, $5, $6, $7, $8}'
6 else
7 echo "Not installed"
8 fi
9 exit 0
Download our free Endpoint Encryption Report and find out what your peers are saying about Sophos, Microsoft, Broadcom, and more!
Updated: August 2022