IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
President at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
A reliable firewall but other options should be considered
  • "It's very flexible and meets our customer's needs."
  • "You can do zero-trust networking with them, but it's not easy."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly our customers use this solution as a general firewall.  Currently, our most popular firewall is Fortinet FortiGate 40F. We do have all the way up to 100's, but most of our customers are small, medium-sized businesses. We have a FortiAnalyzer that resides on Azure and we're getting a FortiManager because of the new capability to roll them out based on the serial number With FortiManager and FortiAnalyzer, you have many more capabilities than you do with SonicWall.

How has it helped my organization?

I wouldn't say that. If it has no impact on them, it's doing its job correctly.

What is most valuable?

There are no specific features that you can say are better than anything else. It's very flexible and it meets our customer's needs.

What needs improvement?

The Fortinet Firewall is not the easiest firewall to maintain, nor is to set up and configure. Checkpoint and Sonos are much easier. SonicWall, from my point of view is the same category as Fortinet. Checkpoint and Sonos are easier to use, but they don't have as many features as SonicWall. You can do zero-trust networking with SonicWall, but it's not easy. Also, their desktop anti-virus sucks.
SonicWall NSa
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall NSa. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using SonicWall since it was Netscreen — which was years ago.

When you buy it based on the load that you expect to use, there are no scalability issues, unless you swap them out.

SonicWall has exceptional tech support. I would rate checkpoint support best, SonicWall next, and Fortinet would be third. I would give SonicWall's tech support a rating of 7.5 to eight. The structure of dealing with them is good. Once you get through to a support person, the support is very good. But getting through, getting to the point where you have someone on the line can be difficult.  Overall, they're good at their job and they speak English. The level of tech support varies: sometimes you get lucky and they're exceptional, and sometimes it's somebody that isn't that good.

If you don't set it up correctly, you are putting your customer's network at risk. They still haven't fixed a lot of the little issues that Dell introduced into the product line, but they're trying. There are settings that if you don't set them correctly, you could potentially jeopardize your customer's network.  SonicWall is probably easier to set up than Fortinet.

The pricing of SonicWall is still in line with Fortinet and Checkpoint. Personally, if I were presented with a decision between SonicWall, Checkpoint, or Fortinet, it would be a no-brainer.

What other advice do I have?

If you're interested in SonicWall, consider checkpoint or Fortinet first. On a scale from one to ten, I would give this solution a rating of seven. They don't have independent testing. They haven't been independently rated — or another way to put it: Gardner rates them poorly. Because of this, we can't sell SonicWall to customers as easily as we can sell Fortinet or Checkpoint.

IT Head at a construction company with 51-200 employees
It's a user-friendly solution, so I don't experience any problems with the device
  • "We have utilized all the features. The most valuable are the URL filtering by category, DMZ zoning, load balancing and site-to-site VPN."
  • "We also need to increase the throughput because the other devices are slower. The throughput will become slow. Since we're using VoIP, it tends to affect the voice quality. Even if you're using a quality service, it tends to decrease."

What is our primary use case?

In the main office we have set up a SonicWall TZ device, and then from the branches, we have set up a lower branch model, the SonicWall, and then created site-to-site VPN. We then deployed the VoIP between those branches to the main office. We also deployed the firewall and the URL filtering between sites and the main office. So, we just enabled and created the different DMZ zones from the devices.

What is most valuable?

We have utilized all the features. The most valuable are the:

• URL filtering by category,
  • DMZ zoning
  • Load balancing
  • The site-to-site VPN.

What needs improvement?

Because this is an old device, the throughput needs to improve. Right now, the only problem is that since it eight years devices had to keep up with the latest technology. Most of the devices are now linked to the plants. That is one thing that can be improved.

We also need to increase the throughput because the other devices are slower. The throughput will become slow. Since we're using VoIP, it tends to affect the voice quality. Even if you're using a quality service, it tends to decrease.

We're going to replace them. Since this is already eight years old, so we're going to replace the hardware but with a different brand.

We have been using this solution for ten years.

It's deployed from the main office to the site office. So, we're using site-to-site VPN between project sites since we are a construction company.

There is no problem with the stability. Since the very start, I have not experienced any problem yet until recently during the quarantine, but the problem is now resolved. Since the requirement is to have a voice quality, we're using a platform like MS Team, Zoom, and it does not perform well when using those applications.

We have around 100 to 200-people using it. Most of them are users. It's on around 10 projects or 10 branches.

We only require one staff member for the deployment and maintenance.

I have never called support. I only called when we first purchased it, if I had a question. I have not found any difficulties when contacting them, or just because I contacted only lower support. Then since it is a user-friendly solution, I didn't experience any problems with the device.

We used Fortinet and Juniper NetScreen, but we already replaced them.

After seven years or five years, the performance degraded. Then we sourced from our local suppliers and got a recommendation from them and er also checked IT Central Station to compare each product.

It's not hard to configure, it's user-friendly. It's very user-friendly. It's just the performance that's an issue because it has already aged out. It is already old.

What other advice do I have?

The quality and security support should be improved in the next release.

I would rate SonicWall NSA an eight out of ten.

SonicWall NSa
June 2022
607,127 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Flavio Soares - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Systems Administrator at a manufacturing company with 51-200 employees
A very intuitive solution with very user friendly graphic interface
  • "User friendly and intuitive."
  • "Needs a more detailed reporting feature."

What is our primary use case?

We are end users of this solution and I'm a senior systems administrator.

What is most valuable?

At the end of the day, all the solutions in this category are more or less alike. They all do the same thing in different ways. I've found the best features of NSA are the graphic interface which is very user friendly and I also find the solution to be very intuitive. The product has more features than I can use.

What needs improvement?

The reporting solution from SonicWall is not the greatest. We have more than two firewalls and I expected we'd get more information from the reporting than we actually do. That area could definitely be improved. I've seen a couple of features on the firewall that I don't have use for because we're not a huge company, we're a 200-user company. The reporting feature is there, it would be nice if it was more detailed.

The firewall itself has the reporting tool. Obviously, it's not as complete as the solution that they want to sell because they provide it for free. It means that you need to get the software separately in order to get a better understanding of what's going on in your firewall. A good additional feature would be improvement on the firewall reporting feature without needing extra software or extra expense.

I've been using this solution for five years.

The firmware is very stable and I've never had issues with the stability of the operating system and I was several versions behind until recently. There were some minor bugs but that's because the firmware was not updated.

The technical support is great. I've never had an issue where I've needed to wait more than a few minutes for them to fix it.

At this office, the firewall was already configured when I started working here, so I only needed to make some adjustments. We have another office that we acquired recently, and I implemented the firewall there. The configuration was pretty straightforward. The graphical interface is very intuitive and that helps.

Our licensing fees are paid annually. It's on par with whatever is on the market. They are all the same, so it's not high or low. It's on the same level as any other hardware in the same category.

What other advice do I have?

If I knew what I know today and I was starting from scratch with a SonicWall firewall, I'd get a consultant in for some advice. There are a couple of tricks that for me it would have been nice to know from the beginning because there are some rules in the defaults that I would've been happy to have known before. I would recommend getting a consultant to explain how the thing works, even if it's for a couple of hours.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

Sergi Pinto - PeerSpot reviewer
Internet Manager at MICROBLAU SL
Great performance and security with reasonable pricing
  • "The prices are similar to other vendors and the support is good."
  • "I'd like to see integration with Microsoft 365 for authentication."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a security system we install in our customer's office. It's a firewall. We have a control panel to manage and view some data and this control panel is in the cloud. However, the firewalls themselves are in the customer's office.

What is most valuable?

The security is great.

It has great performance.

The prices are similar to other vendors and the support is good.

The deployment process is simple.

What needs improvement?

I can't speak to any missing features. They've recently released a new version and it's quite good. Right now, it's the best solution.

I'd like to see integration with Microsoft 365 for authentication.

We've been using the solution for a while. We've definitely used it over the past year.

The stability and performance are great. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable. It's true that SonicWall had a lot of problems in the past, however, now it's very stable. It works perfectly.

It's very scalable. In some cases, it's necessary to change the firewall, however, it's easy to change as SonicWall has the ability to migrate the configuration from all firewalls to the new one.

Technical support is great. They are helpful and responsive. We are quite happy with their capabilities.

I'm also familiar with Fortinet. I find SonicWall more secure. It also offers better performance.

Previously, we installed a firewall directly with Linux and we configured it all at once. It was very manual.

Now, the implementation is easy. In the past it was difficult. Companies needed a specialist to deploy new firewalls. Now, they have a system that a normal technician can install.

It takes a few hours to install and deploy the product.

We have two people that handle deployment and maintenance.

The pricing is on par with others on the market. It's not overly expensive.

The cheaper option is between €100 and €200. However, NSa has different models and the more expensive one is for around €10,000, more or less.

When we purchase our NSa, we buy the firewall and the security services. The security services are for a period of time from one year to three years. When we arrive at the end of the contract we need to renew the security services, however, the firewall will still work. We only need to renew the security services.

When we decide to change from Linux firewalls to an appliance we looked at different companies, like Cisco and Fortinet, and we compared these different companies and products. We decided on SonicWall due to the relationship between performance and security.

What other advice do I have?

We are partners.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Network Engineer at a maritime company with 201-500 employees
Good firewalling and intuitive GUI
  • "The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use, and provides great security."
  • "It is not scalable. If your enterprise is growing hard then you have to buy another, bigger product. Maybe if you use it virtually it is more scalable."

What is our primary use case?

We have two SonicWalls in the High Availability setup with failover configuration.

We use it for the firewalling, for IPS protection and for VPN clients.

How has it helped my organization?

With SonicWall we have more insight in the applications that users are using and what they are doing on the internet, so we can monitor better. It gives us better monitoring.

We now have more insight and information; what protocols and what websites users are trying to reach and what is blocked and what is not blocked, so we can better follow the tracks of the users.

What is most valuable?

The features that I have found most valuable are the firewalling, which is very good and the GUI which is very intuitive. It is easy to use and provides great security.

What needs improvement?

Overall, I'm quite happy about the product. The configuration and the interface are very good. Maybe the pricing and licensing could be improved.

It is not scalable. If your enterprise is growing hard then you have to buy another, bigger product. Maybe if you use it virtually it is more scalable.

We have been using SonicWall NSa for maybe eight to 10 years.

I work for several companies, and we use the NSa with one of them.

It is very stable.

Scalability is an issue. If you need to scale for more performance you will need another product in a higher range. You cannot scale the product itself. That's not possible.

It is not scalable at all.

We have about 350 users. I do the maintenance on my own.

We use it daily.

We do not have plans to increase at the moment.

Their technical support is very good.

The initial setup is not complex, it is very easy.

In terms of my implementation strategy - at first I write down the case we need. I investigate all the uses we have to implement with the SonicWall, and then I install and configurate it. I think the primary configuration was maybe three or four hours.

It was all done by myself.

You can buy the license for one or three years, and we mostly choose the three year. That's a little bit cheaper.

We looked at the Cisco and we looked at the Palo Alto, but the SonicWall was the most valuable for the pricing, the best product for us. The main difference is the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

SonicWall NSa is a very good product with a very nice price, and it is low-level to use.

It is easy to manage and easy to implement.

On a scale of one to ten, I would give SonicWall NSa a nine because of the stability and the easy-to-use GUI. It's a very nice product.

Cybersecurity Engineer at a comms service provider with 51-200 employees
Stable with good security features but needs better GUI
  • "The antivirus and items of that nature were quite helpful to have."
  • "Sometimes I found the GUI and some of the features a little bit hard to navigate, as opposed to Fortigate, which is much more user-friendly."

What is our primary use case?

At the organization I used to work for, this solution was used as the primary perimeter firewall. We had 11 sites. Each site had a firewall that sat behind a router and did all the filtering.

What is most valuable?

The security features we pretty good. The antivirus and items of that nature were quite helpful to have.

The web sourcing was very good.

The stability was very good.

We found the installation to be pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

What Fortigate has which SonicWall doesn't, is the per rule natting. SonicWall only does the central mapping. If they could include something like per rule natting it would be better.

I've used the solution for about three years or so.

The solution was very stable. There were no bugs or glitches. It didn't crash or freeze. It was reliable. There were no breaches.

The solution was quite scalable. If a company needed to expand it, it could do so.

We had 300 or so users at our organization using the product.

I do not work for the company anymore. I can't speak to their plans for the solution and if they plan to increase usage or not.

I had experience with support in the past and I found them to be helpful and responsive. I was very pleased with their level of assistance.

I'm currently using Fortigate now. I switched companies and this company uses Fortigate.

The installation process isn't too difficult. It's pretty easy and rather straightforward. A company shouldn't have any trouble with the initial setup.

The time it takes to deploy depends on the company, however, I recall it only took about an hour or so at our organization. Physically, you might need help with the actual setup, however, for the most part, a person could handle it alone.

I was able to handle the process myself. I did not need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

Our organization would pay for a license every two to three years.

What other advice do I have?

I was a customer and an end-user. I never had a professional relationship with SonicWall.

I would recommend the product to other organizations.

I'd rate the solution overall at a seven out of ten.

Shaik Parveez - PeerSpot reviewer
Network Engineer at commit
MSP
Good support and the different VPN capabilities work well
  • "The most valuable features are the VPN, SSL VPN, and IPSec VPN."
  • "SonicWall does not support DynDNS, yet this is an important feature for smaller companies that do not have a static IP address."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and SonicWall NSA is one of the firewalls that we implement for our clients. I have implemented it for many companies and currently, I have four or five clients that we are supporting.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the VPN, SSL VPN, and IPSec VPN.

The port forwarding functionality works well.

What needs improvement?

The number of concurrent VPN users is too limited.

SonicWall does not support DynDNS, yet this is an important feature for smaller companies that do not have a static IP address. It means that if the IP address changes then it would automatically be picked up by the firewall and it will assist with site-to-site VPN connections.

I have been working with SonicWall NSA for two years.

SonicWall NSA is a stable firewall.

I have set up SonicWall NSA for smaller companies in Dubai. Most of my customers are small to medium-sized with between 20 and 100 users. I would say that it is scalable.

The support offered by SonicWall is good. I would rate them a six or seven out of ten.

I also have more than five years of experience with Fortinet FortiGate. I have worked with models such as the 30E, 50E, 60E, 100E, and 60D. I also have experience with the Meraki Firewall.

The VPN limitations are better with FortiGate. Even with the lower versions, such as the 30E, it supports 100 tunnels and 100 users. With SonicWall, you are limited to five IPSec VPN connections at one time.

FortiGate also supports DynDNS, which is an important feature for smaller companies.

The initial setup is okay and I don't have any issues with it. When you configure any UTM box, whether it's new or if you are configuring it for the first time, it will take some time to complete. Once you get through it for the first time, it is much easier from then on.

If you want to connect more than five concurrent users by VPN then you have to pay an additional fee.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good firewall and they would do much better in the market if they included support for DynDNS and additional VPN connections for free.

At this point, because of the restrictions with the VPN, we are recommending Fortinet rather than SonicWall. If in the future these concerns are dealt with, then I will recommend SonicWall.

MuraliGovindarajan - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Manager at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
Everything is filtered, and if it detects an intruder, it drops the line
  • "SonicWall has USCS and anti-virus at the gateway level. Everything is filtered, and if it detects an intruder, it drops the line."
  • "We have security as a service, and they make recommendations about adding to the denylist and other things. That part could be more accessible and more user-friendly. I'd like to see SonicWall add a user-friendly interface where our internal team can drag and drop everything."

What is most valuable?

SonicWall has USCS and anti-virus at the gateway level. Everything is filtered, and if it detects an intruder, it drops the line.

What needs improvement?

We have security as a service, and they make recommendations about adding to the denylist and other things. That part could be more accessible and more user-friendly. I'd like to see SonicWall add a user-friendly interface where our internal team can drag and drop everything. We get the IOCs from the security companies, so these things can be filtered and blocked at the gateway level. They could add a feature where our team uploads the IOCs in an Excel spreadsheet instead of entering them in one at a time.

We've been using SonicWall for almost seven years.

Yeah, it is much stable and we have been using NSa the previous version before also, the old device. It's all so far okay. It's stable only.

We could expand by another 20 percent, and the product would still cover us. It shouldn't be a problem. We haven't faced many challenges. It's a gateway-level firewall product, and we have 140 users.

SonicWall support is good.

We used Cisco a long time ago, but we moved to SonicWall almost eight years ago.

Setting up SonicWall isn't that complicated, but you need to know the scope — what's allowed and what isn't. But it's not as complex as Cisco. The deployment takes a couple of days, but we could probably do it faster. We upgraded from the older version of SonicWall NSa to the latest appliance in less time.

It doesn't require a large team for maintenance. If we can manage it, anyone can. We only have three people on our team, and we can manage it without issue.

We used the local redistributor here in Bahrain. They were knowledgeable and had SonicWall experience, so they didn't face much of a challenge. It was straightforward. The only difference is that we went with high availability — two devices.

We have a yearly license. SonicWall's price is better than other vendors. We get a discount of about 15 percent off the initial cost.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SonicWall eight out of 10. I recommend it. If you implement SonicWall, it'll be a smooth journey.

Download our free SonicWall NSa Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022