SAS Analytics OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAS Analytics is the #5 ranked solution in top Data Mining tools. PeerSpot users give SAS Analytics an average rating of 9.0 out of 10. SAS Analytics is most commonly compared to KNIME: SAS Analytics vs KNIME. SAS Analytics is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 16% of all views.

Download the Data Mining Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2022

What is SAS Analytics?
SAS was founded in 1976 and actually began as a project at North Carolina State University to analyze agriculture research. It has since become a global company that is recognized for its innovation in data analytics and business intelligence. SAS is redefining what's possible with data analytics through greater efficiency, strong information value chains, effective collaboration tools, and state-of-the-art visualization software. SAS Analytics is designed for use in a variety of industries including government, manufacturing, higher education, defense & security, banking, automotive, communications, and much more. SAS Analytics is a business intelligence (BI) solution that has the ability to reveal patterns and anomalies in data, identify relationships and different variables, and predict future outcomes. Users of SAS Analytics will benefit from making more sound, better informed business decisions based on company data and market trends. Data mining, data visualization, text analytics, forecasting, statistical analysis, and more are all available through SAS Analytics. Staples, which boasts $27 billion in sales across the globe, has a business philosophy that prioritizes customer loyalty and satisfaction. In order to better engage their customers, Staples utilizes SAS Analytics to plan finely tuned marketing campaigns. Through forecasting and advanced analytics, Staples has been able to rely on fewer contractors, and cut their marketing budget, while improving their customer retention rate.
SAS Analytics Customers
Aegon, Alberta Parks, Amway China, Axel Springer, Bank of America, Belgium Special Tax, CAP Index, CareSource, CBE Group, Cemig, Center for Responsible Lending, CESCE, Ceska sporitelna, Chantecler, Chico's, Chubb Group of Insurance Companies, CIGNA Thailand, City of Wiesbaden, Germany, Confused.com, Creditreform, Des Moines Area Community College, Deutsche Lufthansa, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, DIRECTV, Dow Chemical Company, Dow Chemical Company, Dun & Bradstreet, EDF Energy, Electrabel GDF SUEZ, ERGO Insurance Group, Erste Bank Croatia, Farmers Mutual Group, Finnair, Florida Department of Corrections, Geneia, Generali Hellas, Genting Malaysia Berhad, Grameenphone, Grandi Salumifici Italiani, HealthPartners, Highmark, Hong Kong Efficiency Unit, HP, Hyundai Securities, Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family ServicesInc Research, ING-DiBa, Institut Pertanian Bogor, InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), IOM, Kelley Blue Book, Lenovo, Lillebaelt Hospital, Los Angeles County, Maspex Wadowice Group, National Bank of Greece, New Zealand Ministry of Health, New Zealand Ministry of Social Development, Nippon Paper, NMIMS, North Carolina Department of Transportation, North Carolina Office of Information Technology Services, Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (NOVEC), Oberweis Dairy, ODEC, Ohio Mutual Insurance Group, Oklahoma State University, OneBeacon, Orange Business Services, Orange County Child Support Services, Organic, Orlando Magic, OTP Bank, Plano Independent School District, Project Odyssey, Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, RSA Canada, SCAD, Scotiabank, Singapore National Library Board, Sobeys Inc., SRA International, Staples, Statistics Estonia, Swisscom, SymphonyIRI Group, Telecom Italia, Telef‹nica O2, Town of Cary, Transitions Optical, TrueCar, Turkcell Superonline, UniCredit Bank Serbia, University of Alabama, University of Missouri, USDA National Agricultural Statistics Service
SAS Analytics Video

Archived SAS Analytics Reviews (more than two years old)

Mike Turek - PeerSpot reviewer
Vice President, Business Analysis & Performance at Starboard Cruise Services
Ability to handle large datasets has helped us grow our business

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for CRM and retention marketing.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has helped us materially grow multiple business categories.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to handle large data sets.

What needs improvement?

This solution should be made more user-friendly. It needs a better visual output to explain logic to senior executives.

November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about SAS, Knime, Oracle and others in Data Mining. Updated: November 2022.
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I have been using this solution for ten years.
Eshetu  G. Atenafu - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Biostatistician at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It has facilitated timely analysis results with quality work and meaningful output

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of SAS Analytics in my area is mostly of statistical modeling, such as logistic regression, survival analysis, and longitudinal analysis as well as producing tabular summary results.

How has it helped my organization?

It has facilitated timely analysis results with quality work, meaningful output, and consistent data use.

What is most valuable?

Modeling ones and figures, such as PROC LIFETEST, PROC LOGISTICS, PROC GPLOT. PROC FREQ and PROC MEANS, are also among the valuable features.

What needs improvement?

In the graphical area much more improvement is still needed. Once a SAS figure is produced one would like to modify things, such as titles, legends, and incorporate risk sets as a footer on the plots.

November 2022
653,522 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Donald Wildeboer - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Analyst at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
Able to connect to all major platforms
  • "I use it to replicate our entire financial system to verify/duplicate calculations."
  • "I use SAS daily to analyze data, produce reports, and other outputs."
  • "SAS Business Intelligence is well-suited for our large corporation. We have demand for scalable and reliable insights into information which is housed in our large systems."
  • "It is able to connect to all major platforms, and all the smaller platforms that I have come across."
  • "​Support at universities used to be limited, but I hear this is changing.​"
  • "The training for SAS Business Intelligence is often difficult to arrange. It is often cancelled due to not enough people being enrolled."

What is our primary use case?

I use SAS daily to analyze data, produce reports, and other outputs. I also use it to replicate our entire financial system to verify/duplicate calculations.

How has it helped my organization?

SAS Business Intelligence is well-suited for our large corporation. We have demand for scalable and reliable insights into information which is housed in our large systems.

What is most valuable?

SAS is a third-party software, therefore it absolutely has to "play nice" with other software platforms. It is able to connect to all major platforms, and all the smaller platforms that I have come across.

It has also been around for an extremely long time, has a strong history, and good market penetration.

More than five years.

Support at universities used to be limited, but I hear this is changing.

The cost for SAS Business Intelligence can prove to be a little prohibitive.

CEO at a tech services company
It provides virtually everything we need to continuously improve our accuracy
  • "They have provided virtually everything we have needed to accomplish our task, as well as continuously improving our accuracy."
  • "I would like to see their interface to R added to either Base SAS or SAS Analytics."

What is our primary use case?

Setting national auto insurance rates based on predictive analytics. SAS Analytics supported all data cleaning, historical data maintenance, summary analytics, predictive analytics, and scoring needs.

How has it helped my organization?

It allowed us to integrate all necessary activities, including them in a single, easily manageable process. Prior to our adopting SAS to drive the solution, a combination of database software, manual activities, and custom programming languages were needed.

What is most valuable?

The ever increasing number of functions and analytics which are added to the product each year. They have provided virtually everything we have needed to accomplish our task, as well as continuously improving our accuracy.

What needs improvement?

The company has always utilized user feedback to improve the product and has continuously exceeded my expectations.

The only feature I would like to see them add is one they already have, but in a different product. I.e., I would like to see their interface to R added to either Base SAS or SAS Analytics.

More than five years.

Our previous solution involved database systems and programming languages which were difficult to either manage, modify, or control. SAS Analytics provided a far better solution to all of the above and was far more cost effective.

• Setup costs were quite reasonable.
  • Prices were comparable with alternative solutions.
  • Licensing was rather straightforward.

SPSS, Microsoft Analytics, and IBM were evaluated.

Olayinka Awoyemi - PeerSpot reviewer
Statistician at a insurance company
It has improved the level of efficacy and validity of our reports

What is our primary use case?

Mostly used for quantitative analyses which include descriptive and inferential statistics. It is also used for generating reports and summary statistics of findings.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved the level of efficacy and validity of our reports. This has also extended to the area of customer service and relations.

What is most valuable?

The availability of various statistical concepts, including statistical techniques and methods.

What needs improvement?

It is more on the side of the cost. It is relatively expensive. It is not an easy software to afford.

More than five years.

We did use a previous solution. We switched for a better quality of result.

The price is relatively high.

We evaluated SPSS.

Download our free Data Mining Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAS, Knime, Oracle, and more!
Updated: November 2022