IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

SAP HCM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SAP HCM is #5 ranked solution in top Benefits Administration tools and top Talent Management tools. PeerSpot users give SAP HCM an average rating of 8 out of 10. SAP HCM is most commonly compared to SAP SuccessFactors: SAP HCM vs SAP SuccessFactors. SAP HCM is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 66% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 32% of all views.

Download the Benefits Administration Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2022

What is SAP HCM?

SAP HR (Human Resource Management), also known as "Human Capital Management" (HCM), is an important module in SAP ERP systems that supports all of the human resource management processes in the enterprise.

SAP HR records the data from the hiring of an employee to its final termination in the organization. It stores employee data such as designation, role, salary details, working shifts, address, etc.

SAP HCM was previously known as SAP Human Capital Management.

SAP HCM Customers

City of Cape Town, ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd., TransAlta Corporation, Keolis, PT XL Axiata Tbk, National Football League (NFL), Plan International, Yoh, A Day & Zimmermann Company, China Talent Group (CTG TMO), Umicore S.A., Butterfield Bank, Skrill Group Ltd.

SAP HCM Video

SAP HCM Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SAP HCM pricing:
  • "SAP is expensive, but if you're using the product, then the expensive product becomes inexpensive. Considering its performance and features, I find it quite reasonable."
  • "SAP is extremely expensive. The integration costs and customization costs are also a lot."
  • "The cost of SAP HCM is high, the license should be reduced. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs."
  • "The solution is a little expensive and we are charged per user for the license. The solution can be paid monthly or annually."
  • "Licensing fees are paid yearly."
  • SAP HCM Reviews

Fachlul Infithar - PeerSpot reviewer
    IT PMO at PT. Bank Tabungan Negara
    It simplifies everything for human capital management and is stable and scalable
    • "It simplifies everything for human capital management, and all users can do self-enrollment for leaves and those kinds of things. The employee self-service feature is quite a powerful feature for me. You can install it on your mobile phone or iPad and do your employee service activity there."
    • "I'm currently working for a state-owned government company, and we need to follow some standards and regulations. We also have a strategy to be followed. Sometimes the template and the format are not available in the SAP HCM, so we have to work around this limitation. The tax also sometimes changes in my country, and we have to redo everything to change the payroll calculations, benefits, and things like that. The talent management feature can be improved. It is currently very simple in SAP HCM. SAP is also very hard to integrate. In terms of monitoring, there are no monitoring tools, but as long as we take care of the disk capacity, there is no problem."

What is our primary use case?

I used it for learning and talent management, employee self-service, and the n2n process for HRIS.

What is most valuable?

It simplifies everything for human capital management, and all users can do self-enrollment for leaves and those kinds of things. The employee self-service feature is quite a powerful feature for me. You can install it on your mobile phone or iPad and do your employee service activity there.

What needs improvement?

I'm currently working for a state-owned government company, and we need to follow some standards and regulations. We also have a strategy to be followed. Sometimes the template and the format are not available in the SAP HCM, so we have to work around this limitation. The tax also sometimes changes in my country, and we have to redo everything to change the payroll calculations, benefits, and things like that. The talent management feature can be improved. It is currently very simple in SAP HCM. SAP is also very hard to integrate. In terms of monitoring, there are no monitoring tools, but as long as we take care of the disk capacity, there is no problem.

I have been using this solution since 2014.
    Benefits Administration
    June 2022
    Find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle and others in Benefits Administration. Updated: June 2022.
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is quite stable because we run it on the IBM AIX platform, which is quite powerful. The CPU allocation is maintained by us. We use the DB2 database. In terms of power, machine performance, and availability, it is quite stable.

It is definitely scalable because we have an on-premises solution. It is very simple to add memory, processor, or disk capacity.

We got the principal support from SAP. We also have support from a business partner to do all the implementation and maintenance. We don't have any issues related to support.

I am also using SuccessFactors. SAP HCM has got talent management, but it is not as detailed as in SuccessFactors. In terms of HR management, SAP HCM has got more features and more details than SuccessFactors.

It is totally customized. The full deployment or rolling it out fully takes one to two years.

SAP is expensive, but if you're using the product, then the expensive product becomes inexpensive. Considering its performance and features, I find it quite reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

The best thing to do is to identify whether you will need integration with other applications or solutions. If you don't look at this aspect in terms of future implementation, it will give you a hard time later on while doing the integration. I would rate SAP HCM an eight out of ten.

Dave Dumeni - PeerSpot reviewer
    Project Manager at Telecom Namibia
    Allows us to do all of our HR management processes, including payroll and personal administration
    • "Technical support is excellent."
    • "The current platform is quite rigid and not as flexible and end-user friendly as other HR solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We basically use the solution to do all our HR management processes. That includes our payroll processes and our personal administration. We use time management as well as recruitment processes on the system.

The solution is deployed on-premises.

What needs improvement?

HCM is actually moving over to the cloud, which is Success Factors or S/4HANA.  It's a better solution than the current platform because the current platform is quite rigid and not as flexible and end-user friendly as other HR solutions.

This is a transaction driven type of system, whereby a user actually has to know or understand a certain transaction code.

If they have no idea, they will not be able to do anything. From that perspective, there are a couple of drawbacks. The solution is of course not as flexible. It's more than an application. It was the best back then, but things have evolved and technology has evolved significantly. People want easier to work with applications.

The graphic user interface could be improved. It's not for a use of 20. I think the most improvement will be on the front-end than the back-end.

I have been using this solution for over 12 years. I am using version ECC 6.0.

SAP HCM is stable.

It is scalable. We have approximately 1,300 employees in our organization. They are using the system either directly or indirectly. Indirectly in the sense that we have the employee portal, where the employees actually use the self-service portal and can do their own things, like leave applications. Almost everyone in the organization uses the system, but of course in a different way.

Right now, we don't have any plans to increase usage in the future.

Technical support is excellent.

Initial setup was complex. On a scale of one to five, I would give it a four.

It normally takes over a year to implement these types of solutions.

We used the SAP partner for deployment. Our experience was quite good.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

The current solution is phasing out. If you are purchasing it, then it shouldn't be for long-term usage. I think SAP has customers' usage up to 20 or 25 for the current platform, by which everyone needs to upgrade to their newer versions or newer applications. Otherwise, if you are planning to implement HCM in the current type of module and version, then you actually are not doing justice to yourself. I would advise that you go for Success Factors, which has a fresher look and maybe some other tools that are available.

Benefits Administration
    June 2022
    610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Owner & Founder at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
    Provides talent, recruitment, and learning features, but needs a single integration point and modern architecture
    • "I like the talent, recruitment, and learning features the most."
    • "I would like it to move more towards a single data space, a single data source. SAP as a platform relies on multiple data sources because traditionally, it's been bolted together by the acquisition of other products rather than a single database. That's why there are lots of points of failure and lots of required points of integration. They need a single integration point."

What is most valuable?

I like the talent, recruitment, and learning features the most.

What needs improvement?

I would like it to move more towards a single data space or a single data source. SAP as a platform relies on multiple data sources because traditionally, it has been bolted together by the acquisition of other products rather than a single database. That's why there are a lot of points of failure and a lot of required points of integration. They need a single integration point.

We are using SAP SuccessFactors. I know of and have been exposed to SAP for about 10 years.

I work with companies to determine whether SAP needs to be replaced or not. I do transformation programs. These transformation programs determine whether the existing system is SAP, whether it's fit for the purpose, and whether it should be changed to something like Workday because of the features Workday has. I don't physically use the product.

I wouldn't say so. We, as a company, experience regular problems with it.

It is scalable.

I have not personally dealt with them.

SAP is extremely expensive. The integration costs and customization costs are also a lot.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend a more modern version of it. My experience of SAP is with earlier versions. SAP is an aging system, so it doesn't stack up against tools like Workday.

I would rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten, but it really depends on the use cases. It depends on why and for what a company is implementing SAP. There are many elements of SAP.

I don't think it would ever get to a ten in my view because there are other products that are better than this and work in a much easier, simpler fashion. As a product, SAP is very complicated and complex to use. The only thing to do is to move towards a more modern architecture for SAP. I don't think that's ever going to happen, so I wouldn't ever give it a 10.

Private Cloud
    Manager Finance at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Stable and scalable but is fairly expensive
    • "We've found that the solution has the capability to scale."
    • "The solution is rather expensive."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for automating HR processes.

What is most valuable?

The product has been very stable overall.

We've found that the solution has the capability to scale.

What needs improvement?

The solution is rather expensive.

I'd like to see the solution offer even more stability in future releases.

We have been on the solution for many years. We started using it originally in 2013.

The stability of the solution is pretty good overall. It's reliable and the performance is good. It doesn't crash or freeze. There are no bugs or glitches. It's good.

That said, stability is an area that can be constantly improved upon.

The scalability of the solution is okay. It's possible to expand it. that's not a problem.

We have about 20 to 30 people using the product within our organization.

We do not plan to increase usage. We are not planning to continue to use it at all. We are moving away from it entirely.

I've never been in touch with technical support at all. I have no idea if they respond quickly or if they are knowledgeable enough about the product. I can't give any insights due to my lack of experience dealing with them directly.

While we are currently using SAP HCM, we are in the process of scrapping it and moving over to SAP SuccessFactors.

I do not have very good knowledge of the pricing itself. It's not an aspect of the solution I directly deal with. However, it's my understanding that the cost is quite high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution at a six out of ten.

We're actually moving away from it currently, and are in the process of doing so right now.

I would not necessarily recommend the solution to other users or organizations. There are other options on the market that may be more suitable.

Kumar Madhur - PeerSpot reviewer
    Service Delivery Project Manager at HCL Technologies
    High performance, high availability, but more resources needed
    • "SAP HCM has a good performance."
    • "SAP HCM could improve by having more resources and making it more user-friendly. It is complex."

What is our primary use case?

SAP HCM is used by our clients for all their business processes, such as HR, finance, procurement, and supply chains.

What is most valuable?

SAP HCM has a good performance.

What needs improvement?

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately 20 years.

The stability of SAP HCM is good.

SAP HCM is a scalable solution.

We have over 20 clients using this solution.

The support services are not good for SAP HCM. It could be faster.

I have previously used other solutions, such as Oracle.

The initial implementation of SAP HCM is complicated. It's complicated for users and for implementers. It took a lot of time to do the implementation. For example, to do the complete UK payroll implementation, can take approximately nine months.

The amount of people we need to support the solution depends on the project, but per client support, you need approximately 10 people to support one client.

The cost of SAP HCM is high, the license should be reduced. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs.

What other advice do I have?

There are two people have to do before implementing SAP HCM. One is the license cost. SAP HCM has a lot of hidden costs. They charge per module, they should be aware of what exactly they are going to use. They have to be clear about whether SAP HCM is a good solution for them or possibly another one, such as Oracle.

I rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten.

CEO at a consumer goods company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Support large user numbers, easy to manage, but price could improve
    • "SAP HCM can handle a large number of employees. We can easily process payrolls and check the arrangements, and the client can also check the performance of the employees. Additionally, it has some advanced features."

What is our primary use case?

We use SAP HCM as a human resources management system for tasks, such as payroll and attendance.

What is most valuable?

SAP HCM can handle a large number of employees. We can easily process payrolls and check the arrangements, and the client can also check the performance of the employees. Additionally, it has some advanced features.

It can be integrated into any platform and is very secure. It's very difficult to access SAP's database, and if anyone tries to log in, his computer's name and password amongst other information will be saved in the system. We can integrate your fingerprint in the system to automatically log in to the system. The integration is very good with other applications.

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately six years.

The solution is stable.

SAP HCM is scalable, the client can modify according to their needs.

We have approximately 500 people using this solution.

The support has been very good.

You can implement SAP HCM in three months minimum, and if you need more customization, then it can take more time.

We have up to thirty engineers available to do the implementation and maintenance of the solution. The size of the deployment dictates how many engineers we will need.

What other advice do I have?

I rate SAP HCM a seven out of ten.

Senior SAP HCM Consultant at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Better alternative products available, support could improve, but simple setup

What is our primary use case?

In general, we use SAP HCM for career management models. For example, appraisals, training, courses, planning, plan courses in the system. It is an integration between SAP compliance and the federal government.

I worked with other systems and other solutions that can be integrated with SAP. For example, I worked in SuccessFactors in a company that has other systems integrated with SAP On-premise. I know the KPI without the integration tools with these other systems.

I have been using SAP HCM for approximately 14 years.

SAP HCM is stable.

I have found SAP HCM to be scalable.

SAP HCM has many different channels for communication with the consultants which makes it complex. There are delays when there is a problem.

I have previously used Workday, Oracle AME, and SuccessFactors.

SuccessFactors was very complex to use for the public sector.

The setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It is important to understand the process, the project, and the architecture before getting involved in these types of solutions.

I would recommend this solution to others. The solution has improved over the years. For global industries, I recommend companies implement SuccessFactors or Workday.

I rate SAP HCM a four out of ten.

Director & CHRO at a computer software company with 11-50 employees
      Easy to install, scales well, reliable, and has interesting features for learning
      • "They have some interesting features in the learning space."
      • "The extensibility of the integration could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for all of the organization's HR needs.

What is most valuable?

Most of it is similar to Oracle HCM.

They have some interesting features in the learning space.

What needs improvement?

The extensibility that SuccessFactors talks about is when we are required to create an add-on solution or a small application, that could be developed within the ecosystem of the Oracle HCM itself, and then integrate it easily.

This is a feature that we can look forward to seeing in  SAP as well.

The extensibility of the integration could be improved.

I have a lot of experience with SAP. I have been working with SAP for nine years.

We are using the latest version.

I have no issues with the stability of SAP HCM.

SAP HCM is a scalable product.

We have approximately 32,000 users in our organization who use this solution.

Technical support is a strong team.

The initial setup was straightforward. It was good.

Licensing fees are paid yearly.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SAP HCM an eight out of ten.

Download our free Benefits Administration Report and find out what your peers are saying about SAP, Workday, Oracle, and more!
      Updated: June 2022