Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Red Hat AMQ OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Red Hat AMQ is #7 ranked solution in top Message Queue Software. PeerSpot users give Red Hat AMQ an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. Red Hat AMQ is most commonly compared to Apache Kafka: Red Hat AMQ vs Apache Kafka. Red Hat AMQ is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 75% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 20% of all views.

Download the Message Queue (MQ) Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Red Hat AMQ?

To respond to business demands quickly and efficiently, you need a way to integrate the applications and data spread across your enterprise. Red Hat JBoss A-MQ—based on the Apache ActiveMQ open source project—is a flexible, high-performance messaging platform that delivers information reliably, enabling real-time integration and connecting the Internet of Things (IoT).

Red Hat AMQ was previously known as Red Hat JBoss A-MQ, Red Hat JBoss AMQ.

Red Hat AMQ Customers

E*TRADE, CERN, CenturyLink, AECOM, Sabre Holdings

Red Hat AMQ Video

Archived Red Hat AMQ Reviews (more than two years old)

Christian Bonami - PeerSpot reviewer
Solution Architect at Vlaanderen connect.
Scalable to a point, but the product is not stable and technical support needs to be improved
  • "My impression is that it is average in terms of scalability."
  • "There are several areas in this solution that need improvement, including clustering multi-nodes and message ordering."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for message queuing.

We have been having a great deal of trouble with this solution. However, I have to point out that I do not really trust our infrastructure, as I have just discovered that it is worthless. This leaves us with the question as to which degree these problems are AMQ's or our own.

What needs improvement?

There are several areas in this solution that need improvement, including clustering multi-nodes and message ordering. There should be better support for having messages be ordered per bucket.

Technical support for this solution needs improvement.

I have been using this solution for between a year and two years.

This solution is completely unstable. We lose messages.

Message Queue (MQ) Software
September 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Apache, VMware and others in Message Queue (MQ) Software. Updated: September 2022.
634,775 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not yet had to scale this solution because we don't have a lot of messages. My impression is that it is average in terms of scalability. Limited, to a certain point.

This is a backend product so there are no users, but we have approximately twenty applications that we let it work with.

Technical support for this solution is below average. They didn't really solve the problem and it took a lot of time. For six months, we were going back and forth. Their response was not something like "Oh, you have that burning problem? We will send you some consultants who are going to solve that for you, with you." It was more like, "Yeah, you open a ticket. You get a reply." Then, the reply isn't really saying much and it's a big back and forth.

A couple of months later that have something that could be a fix, that kind of stuff. Ultimately, they did not help us out a lot. That said, I think that many of the problems were really very strange to them because our infrastructure has network issues. This may have been the reason that they could not give us a straight answer.

When you deploy a product somewhere in an environment, on hardware, and your hardware is not functioning properly, then you might experience the weirdest kinds of bugs that people just aren't familiar with. I can imagine that people sitting remotely were scratching their heads when they saw our problem, and couldn't get them reproduced. I don't want to be too harsh on them, but if I didn't know that I had infrastructure problems, I would rate technical support quite below average.

Prior to this solution, we used HornetQ. It is no longer supported, which is why we switched to this solution.

I did not perform the initial setup of this solution, but from my understanding it is average.

With the trouble that we have been having with this product, we have reinstalled many configurations of it and we're still experiencing issues. We did multiple reinstalls, had bugs, tried to do other configurations, etc.

One person is enough for deployment and maintenance.

We deployed this solution with our in-house team, and we requested assistance as well.

I was not here when this solution was chosen, but I can say that the person who selected this option was gone two months later. I think it must have been a very average evaluation. It may have been chosen because it's supported by Red Hat, and I'm working at a Red Hat-minded company. Everything is Red Hat. It was an obvious choice for many reasons.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is implementing this solution is to make sure that you get the clustering configuration right and that it actually works, and beware of message ordering problems. Simply, for us, there were a lot of features that did not work properly because of the clustering configuration.

Unfortunately, that was not mentioned in the manual, or anywhere else, so we had to find out that certain things simply don't work when you go and cluster and when you scale it out.

If I knew for sure that the technology didn't work and that was the cause of our problems then I would rate this product a three out of ten, but I know there are also other factors involved, so I can't really say that it's the technology.

I would rate this solution a four out of ten.

Download our free Message Queue (MQ) Software Report and find out what your peers are saying about Red Hat, Apache, VMware, and more!
Updated: September 2022