Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Microsoft Intune OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Microsoft Intune is #1 ranked solution in top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. PeerSpot users give Microsoft Intune an average rating of 8.0 out of 10. Microsoft Intune is most commonly compared to VMware Workspace ONE: Microsoft Intune vs VMware Workspace ONE. Microsoft Intune is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 59% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 19% of all views.
Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2022

What is Microsoft Intune?

Microsoft Intune is a comprehensive cloud-based service that allows you to remotely manage mobile devices and mobile applications without worrying about the security of your organization’s data. Device and app management can be used on company-owned devices as well as personal devices.

In an increasingly mobile workforce, Microsoft Intune keeps your sensitive data safe while on the move. Microsoft Intune makes it possible for your team members to work anywhere using their mobile devices. Microsoft Intune provides both the flexibility and the control needed for securing all your data on the cloud, no matter where the device with the data is located.

Microsoft Intune Device Management Key Features

With Microsoft Intune Device Management you can:

• Ensure devices and apps are compliant with your security requirements.
  • Rapidly deploy and authenticate apps on all company devices.
  • Remotely access devices to troubleshoot issues or to remove data from them.
  • Generate reports for all devices in the system.
  • Monitor the way users access and share information to protect company information.
  • Set rules and configure settings on personal and organization-owned devices to access data and networks.
  • Create user groups and device groups, allowing you to rapidly access many users and devices simultaneously.

Mobile Application Management

Mobile application management in Intune is designed to protect your organization’s data at the application level.

With Microsoft Intune Application Management you can:

• Configure apps to run with specific settings enabled.
  • Update existing apps that are already on the device.
  • See reports on which apps are used and monitor their usage.
  • Selectively wipe organization data from apps.
  • Add mobile apps to user groups and devices.

As part of Microsoft's Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS) suite, Intune integrates with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) for access control and with Azure Information Protection for data protection. It also integrates with Microsoft 365 Applications.

Reviews from Real Users

Microsoft Intune stands out among its competitors for a number of reasons. Two major ones are its ability to secure all devices under its management and the flexibility that the solution offers its users.

A computing services manager notes, "Its security is most valuable. It gives us a way to secure devices, not only those that are steady. We do have a few tablets and other devices, and it is a way for us to secure these devices and manage them. We know they're out there and what's their status. We can manage their life cycle and verify that they're updated properly."

The head of IT engineering at a financial services company writes, "The one feature we find most useful is the Mobile Application Manager. There are two types: we have the complete MDM and the Mobile Application Manager (MAM). We don't give our users phones, it is their own personal phone, and we need to allow them to have access to the company details on their phone. We need to create a balance between their own personal data and the company data. We deploy the Mobile Application Manager for them so that we won't be able to interfere with their own personal data."

Microsoft Intune was previously known as Intune, MS Intune.

Microsoft Intune Customers

Mitchells and Buzzers, Callaway

Microsoft Intune Video

Archived Microsoft Intune Reviews (more than two years old)

Team Lead Information Security Control at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Cloud-based mobile data protection that is stable and scalable
  • "We have not experienced any bugs or glitches with this solution."
  • "There are items that require improvements. One is the controls from iOS."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Microsoft Intune to control, manage, and to protect the data on mobile devices.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the scalability.

What needs improvement?

There are differences in protecting the data on a mobile device and on iOS. When you protect the data on iOS, you protect the entire device.

From an Android, you can select certain applications to protect. What this means is that the employee who uses Android devices are protected only from emails, and the personal data on the device is not protected. When the employee uses the iOS they control all of the devices, which is not convenient.

There are items that require improvements. One is the controls from iOS.

I have been working with Microsoft Intune for approximately four years.

Microsoft Intune
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have not experienced any bugs or glitches with this solution.

We have not had any issues with the scalability. We have more than 1,000 users.

We have contacted technical support several times.

Technical support is sometimes okay.

The initial setup is a bit difficult.

It took almost a month to deploy. There were several requirements to set up the conditions.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Microsoft Intune.

DavidTaylor - PeerSpot reviewer
Desktop Systems Architect at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good dashboards, fair pricing, and great support
  • "The dashboards, the security, and the customization capabilities work very well for us."
  • "It would be helpful if there was proactive remediation."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote workforce systems that are not connected to the VPN, to flexibility deploy software, and operate system upgrades and policies, as well as pushing scripts to the devices. Pretty much just about anything that we can do in Intune, we're going to be doing. If we're not doing it already, we will be doing it.

What is most valuable?

Right now, pushing out software and policies is the solution's most valuable aspect.

The pricing and support are great.

The dashboards, the security, and the customization capabilities work very well for us.

Everything is so tightly integrated with the on-premise solution.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what is missing on the solution, I can't really think of anything right off the top of my head. It's doing everything we need it to do.

It would be helpful if there was proactive remediation.

In terms of some of the reporting, I find that it takes too long for some of the reports to display actual data.

We started in February using Intune on an actual production project. We had used it on a very limited basis as a testing bed several years ago, however, it wasn't a mature product back then.

The stability is great. We haven't had any issues in that regard. We don't have bugs or glitches. It doesn't freeze. It's reliable.

The scalability is very good. If you need to expand the solution, you can.

It's a management system, so every single endpoint across the enterprise has Intune connectivity. I would say 100% of our users are basically on it. We're managing all of our internal resources through Intune and the on-premise solution configuration manager. We've got upwards of 8,000 employees currently.

The support has been excellent. We're quite satisfied with the level of service provided.

The initial setup is not complex. It's relatively straightforward.

Deployment was basically a three-day engagement.

We had some assistance from Microsoft. A Microsoft engineer came on-site to assist us over the course of the deployment.

We're not paying for Intune due to the integration with Configuration Manager. If you own Configuration Manager, you own Intune and vice versa. If you own Intune, you own Configuration Manager or the on-premise solution. As far as how much Configuration Manager costs, I'm not exactly sure. We set that up a long time ago and I just do not recall the cost on that.

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with the vendor. We're simply customers.

We're using the very latest version of the solution. We're using it with Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, and we're running a 2006 build. With Intune, since it's the SaaS model, it's whatever version is available in the cloud.

My advice to other organizations considering the solution would be to be patient. Some of the reporting, for example, takes up to 24 hours before it is actually displayed in the console, depending on a number of endpoints you're trying to manage.

The other recommendation would be is be prepared to switch your way of thinking around deploying policies through Intune. The policies in Intune are similar to GPOs, but there is a difference. There is a very, very distinct difference between those policies and the equivalent of the policy and the configuration as a baseline. They're similar in nature, but they're very different. You have to kind-of switch your method of thinking.

I would say I'm very, very pleased with the solution. Even with the delayed reporting, I would give it probably a solid nine out of ten.

Microsoft Intune
September 2022
633,184 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Engineering Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Helpful autopilot feature saves us time but the reporting needs to be improved
  • "The most important thing for me is the autopilot feature."
  • "I would like to see the ability to deploy custom packages as a Windows 64-bit package, as opposed to the Windows 32-bit, which is the only one available now."

What is our primary use case?

Intune is a cloud-based solution for MDM and endpoint management.

What is most valuable?

The most important thing for me is the autopilot feature. Other products have this capability but they have to first integrate with Azure. Because Intune is a Microsoft product, you don't have to do anything explicitly to get this feature working properly.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft really needs to improve the reporting in Intune. It doesn't come anywhere close to VMware Workspace when it comes to their reports. I am sure that Microsoft will improve but at the moment, they are underperforming in terms of reporting.

There is a feature called dynamic groups, which populates users and computers based on a query that is written, and it runs at some interval. I would like to see this updated more frequently so that the users don't have to fair for too long before computers appear in the group.

I would like to see the ability to deploy custom packages as a Windows 64-bit package, as opposed to the Windows 32-bit, which is the only one available now. Although it can run in 64-bit mode, I would like to see this supported natively.

I have been working with Microsoft Intune for about two years. I have changed companies since that time and we are now evaluating Intune for use in my new organization.

Intune is a stable product and it has improved a lot over the past year. This is something that Microsoft is always working on, and I think that it will continue to improve.

We have not had the chance to test scalability. We will have the real results when it is put into the field.

I have not been directly in contact with the support for Intune. Rather, when I have needed assistance, I went through a partner channel.

I set up Intune without any assistance.

The price of Intune is included with the license for Office 365, so we don't have to pay anything extra for it.

We are currently evaluating both Microsoft Intune and VMware Workspace, and we will choose the one that best suits our use cases. Our plan is to implement one of these products in a couple of months.

One of the conditions is that we have to make sure that it supports all of the devices that we have in the enterprise. For example, we have Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices that need support.

Second, we need to have the autopilot experience for the users running under Windows. If somebody joins the company and they are provided with a laptop then we need to have it set up correctly. Normally, when it ships from a vendor such as Dell, Lenovo, or HP, it will come with their software pre-installed. Given the current situation with employees working at home, the laptop ships directly to where they live. At this point, with autopilot, they should be able to log in using their cloud credentials as soon as the device is switched on.

Once logged in, all of the details will be picked up from Azure, including the policies, updates, and other mandatory software such as Skype, Zoom, and Microsoft Office. Essentially, it eliminates all of the laptop setup and configuration that used to happen inside the organization.

Intune supports autopilot natively through Azure, and VMware Workspace is on par with this as well.

Next, it should have good reporting features. All products are able to generate reports, but we should be able to customize them in the way that we want.

We also have to have good security, where we can push all of the security configuration and policies that our organization has. This will differ based on the department. For example, security in banking or finance will be different from the security in manufacturing.

Finally, we should be able to deploy applications all over the cloud.

I think that in comparison, VMware Workspace is a more mature product than those offered by competing vendors. It has been developed very intelligently. The UI is good, with fancy graphics. They also have Smart Groups, and a different way of deploying applications, which are very good features.

VMware Workspace also has a slight advantage over Intune when it comes to managing multiple hierarchies. Intune does not support this type of structure, where you can have sublevels. For example, I can have a root-level like Europe with sublevels such as the UK, Germany, and France.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on your environment, requirements, and use cases. If you have a reporting-extensive company, for example, then you may need to look for other products. Similarly, if you are a multi-hierarchy organization with a presence around the globe, then Intune may disappoint you.

Given all of the factors and things to consider, including features and cost, I would say that Intune has a slight edge over competing products.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Group IT Executive at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Hopes of using this product as a remote access solution are stalled because of roll out issues
  • "If the product works, remote access will be a benefit. To this point we have not had reason to have confidence in achieving that access."
  • "The difficulty of the the roll out is surprisingly difficult considering this product is supposed to be an integrated part of the 365 suite."

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are rolling the product out because we want to be able to have remote access and control over our desktops and laptops from external locations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the product when it is in production is the basic thing it was made to do. We want to be able to allow access to various applications remotely which we can not otherwise do with remote workers.

What needs improvement?

This type of question may be premature because we have just started rolling it out now. We have not had a chance to work with it to capacity at this stage. I think, so far the implementation is all a bit shaky and should be better planned and better supported. The deployment seems to not be as simple as what I would have hoped that it would be considering it is a Microsoft product.

When it is fully rolled out, we will see where the other shortcomings actually are. However, this difficulty in rolling the product out is a significant stumbling block.

We just started testing the product several months ago. The technical team is working toward trying to roll it out to production in about the month. As that is the case, we are not really using it yet in production. We have got only about half-a-dozen of the 4,000 projected users working with it currently.

Again we have not really tested and deployed the product broadly across the company at this stage. But it is exactly because we have not seen the kind of stability and performance we were expecting that we have not completed the roll out.

If we can not seem to get even half a dozen users working with the product in a way we consider stable, the scalability is in question. It should not be.

As far as the set up, we only have the first half-a-dozen technical people on the product just to do a pilot. We have had issues with it. This is the reason we have not even deployed it for the users' space yet to deploy to a larger test group. I would expect the deployment would be a bit easier. That could eventually be a changing factor in what we do moving forward.

I have rolled our company onto a 365 E5 licensing scheme. We are not on E3 anymore so we do not need to. With an E3 license, you would have to consider licensing the product.

We did not really look at any other competition. We are a Microsoft 365 E5 customer and the product promises the capabilities that we need and is available without additional cost. It just made sense to try to use this part of the suite.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft Intune as about a six. I am not totally impressed with the complexity of the rollout.

Sr. Microsoft Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps restrict certain access to mobile devices. But, it is Samsung knox centric.
  • "It helps implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing potentially dangerous emails."
  • "Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more Android cellular devices."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing emails until their devices comply.

How has it helped my organization?

Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more devices. It is mainly only supported for Samsung knox devices. If you want to restrict the user, and not to turn on the camera and such, most of the policies that I found were more supported only towards Samsung knox devices. But, some policies are supported for Android 4.0 operating systems. Most of these policies are only for Samsung knox. I wish there was more diversity regarding other Android devices. In our country, there are multiple vendors, such as: Samsung, Huawei and more. I would prefer other solutions if I'm implementing restricting the devices in terms of applying the policies.

What is most valuable?

It has many features, but the most prominent is that other mobile device solutions support more polices. Much more diversion is needed in implementing the policies in different kinds of devices. As I have worked, it has not supported too many policies for android devices. Every 3rd or 4th policy that was supported is for Samsung knox devices. So, most people prefer to use Intune if they want to implement conditional access policies to restrict customer exchange online or exchange user formats emails until their devices comply.

You can publish Apps on the devices and take inventory of the devices, but it's all about the companies who were interested due to implementing conditional access policies to restrict  users. They want to restrict the users in order to access emails until their device is secure and then comply with the security policies of the organization.

What needs improvement?

Most of the customers expect that most of the policies will be there for Android, to implement the policies. Unfortunately, most of the policies that I found are for Samsung knox devices, that is specific to a device or specific to a vendor. That's why most of the customers have a hard time with Intunes, because most of the policies they see is for Samsung knox. They want Intunes to support Android devices. If it is supported by other Android devices, then it's very complicated because if you want it implemented, you have to use some custom equipment. There are a very limited number of policies that are applied, and all generate other devices like Samsung knox devices.

Most of the customers in the business do not use Intune because it doesn't support that much policy for Android. Here in Pakistan, most of the end users are using Android devices. Windows is out of the question. They don't use Microsoft mobile phones. Most of the popular devices are iOS, and the ultimate users are Androids. I think 80% of the users are using Android devices here and less than 20% are using iOS devices.

So, the customer is expecting to apply policy on Android devices and it's not generated specific to a vendor like Samsung knox, so they don't buy it, and they don't consider it.

Yes, it is a stable solution. There were a few stability issues, but most of us are happy with the stability of the solution.

I do not think scalability is an issue.

It was not easy, but not too complex. If an engineer knows what he or she is doing, then it is not difficult.

The product is offered as part of a Microsoft standard bundle. The pricing can be competitive to VMware Airwatch, and IBM MaaS360.

We considered VMware Airwatch and IBM MaaS360

What other advice do I have?

From my experience if the requirement is to lock down the Android devices through Intune, then I should advise to look at the different policies that are available for Intune before doing the implementation. Because, if the policies do not meet the requirements of the organization to lock down the devices or to apply the policies on the devices, then it does not make any sense. So, for Android devices in particular, if you are implementing Intune then you should first look at the policies that are available in Intunes and then try to evaluate and do proof of concept.

Mohamed-Khaled - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior IT Field Support Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications.
  • "The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications. I can also restrict the users to install any applications. I can also wipe the data if the phone was missplaced or stolen. These are the basics for me."
  • "I think there should be a better tracking of the cell phones used on the Intune."

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for MDM. We use it to manage our devices and phones. We want to make sure that data is not stolen from the devices of our staff. Staff members often bring their own devices to work, and we need to manage that.

What is most valuable?

The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications. I can also restrict the users to install any applications. I can also wipe the data if the phone was misplaced or stolen. These are the basics for me.

What needs improvement?

I would like to be able to track the phone. I am not sure this is a feature that is readily available.

I find that this is a stable product and it is convenient for our business.

I have no issues with scalability because I have already used it for our organization and we have it for around 40 phones, and it seems to be suitable for our needs.

Until now, I have not really used the technical support.

I have previous experience with VMware Airwatch. But, I find that the integration is better with Microsoft Intune because we are already using Azure as a domain. It is a much easier integration with the Microsoft products.

I have no comment on pricing of the solution.

We have previous experience with VMware Airwatch.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise other colleagues to use Microsoft Intune.

it_user921111 - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have a BYOD policy at our company, and this solution helps us manage devices. It needs help with reporting.
  • "It is a very helpful solution."
  • "We have a BYOD policy, and this solution helps us manage our devices."
  • "I think that there is room for improvement with the reporting. If this is done, it will be a better product."

What is our primary use case?

We have several different use cases. We have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy for corporate owned devices, and managing those devices is our responsibility.

What is most valuable?

It is a very helpful and easy solution. When deploying different configuration policies and compliance policies it is helpful. In addition, deployment of applications on devices is a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I have not encountered any issues with stability of this product.

It is quite scalable. It is quite easily able to extend the capabilities of whatever you want to do. And, it is not always visible to the end customer.

I have used technical support in the past. When considering the seniority level of the tech support, I think they are quite good in comparison to other products. They are quick to respond to our needs.

We previously used VMware Airwatch.

The purchase of the product was handled by someone else in our company. I do not have experience with pricing of the product.

What other advice do I have?

We received Intune with a bundle of Microsoft products.

User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
We use this primarily for security on our devices. It is cost effective.
  • "It is a helpful tool to manage BYOD policies."
  • "There are a few security features that are not available in Microsoft Intune, when compared to other products."

What is our primary use case?

We use this primarily for security on our devices. We use this product because it came with the bundle from Microsoft.

How has it helped my organization?

By using Microsoft Intune, I can control my Outlook on my phone. Whenever I try to open any file attatchment, it will be more secure. There are additional security precautions it provides with photos, as well.

What is most valuable?

The security features are valuable to us. We have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy at our organization. Many employees need help managing these devices. Microsoft Intune helps us manage MDM (Mobile Device Management).  We find it provides MAM (Mobile Application Management) to a lesser degree.

What needs improvement?

The MAM feature could be improved. In addition, the security of photo sharing could be improved.

It is very scalable. Our organization has over 26,000 employees.

Microsoft Intune is a cost effective choice.  It is less expensive than other products on the market.

We also looked at VMware AirWatch.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a reseller of the product.
it_user816000 - PeerSpot reviewer
Practice Head - Enterprise Mobility, Technology Shared Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is really easy to use and the storage solutions are a nice feature.
  • "In terms of technical support, you will get an immediate response."
  • "It's really easy to access."
  • "There are a couple of issues with stability."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using Microsoft Intune MAM, which is the mobile application management. We are using basically it for application management type needs.

How has it helped my organization?

We are using a model for productivity through Microsoft Intune. For example, we are using Microsoft Themes to share all our contents and we connect that with Skype. We also use the Microsoft PowerApps, to help developer apps on a mobile. All of these functions are managed by the Microsoft Intune.

What is most valuable?

One of the most valuable features is the overall UI. It's really easy to access, so user interface is very good. Secondly, the enrollment is a nice feature. It is easy to move into the Intune company portal with minimal steps to do so.   In addition, the storage solutions are a nice feature that can be used together with other Microsoft products such as OneDrive and SharePoint. A nice sidebar feature of this is that you can actually restrict the people to mark or store data inside a device and you can bound them to store it in only a white drive and then you can an create an overall encryption around that. For other companies you need to use a container, but not with Microsoft.

What needs improvement?

I think that in the future Microsoft Intune should have an EMS (Enterprise Mobile Security) feature added.

Less than one year.

Yes, there are a couple of issues with stability. The issues have to do with adoption. Also, organization has to change.

Our company has not quite reached a level where this is an issue.

Technical support is good. They have a free kind of support ecosystem, one is the premium support and one is the channel support. In both the ecosystems, the response is, good. Obviously,  if you have the premium support, you get a response within a shorter amount of time.  But I have found that even if you're doing the standard support also, you will get an immediate response. So, overall, the support is very good. For now there's no challenges coming from the technical support.

It is really easy to integrate and manage all Microsoft products with Microsoft Intune.

There is a cost benefit of using Microsoft Intune because of the packaging with other Microsoft products.

Cloud Solution Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Integrates with the entire Microsoft ecosystem
  • "...Intune itself integrates with that entire Microsoft ecosystem. As an individual product itself, it's okay. It holds up. But when you start saying "I've bought this as part of a wider solution, as a company we are going Microsoft throughout," then it makes more sense to have Microsoft Intune... so you have that single dashboard."
  • "I would like to see micro VPN. I like the way that some of the other providers have done something similar where, as you open that app on an end-point device, it creates a micro VPN straight into your device, which is quite a nice little feature. Also, Microsoft Intune relies heavily on its fellow products in the suite. It would be nice if Microsoft Intune could stand on its own two feet."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing mobile devices and applications. It really answers the question of managing BYOD end-point devices.

How has it helped my organization?

The benefit is the way it integrates with the entire Microsoft ecosystem. If you're a company that has a bit of this, a bit of that, and a bit of everything else, then Intune probably doesn't hold up so well. But if you say, "We're going down the path of Microsoft's strategy, we believe in what Microsoft is doing as a cloud provider," then Intune, as far as security and managing end-point devices and managing everything, brings in the story quite nicely.

What is most valuable?

When a customer asks me about the most valuable features, one is that Intune itself integrates with that entire Microsoft ecosystem. As an individual product, it's okay. It holds up. But when you start saying "I've bought this as part of a wider solution, as a company we are going Microsoft throughout," then it makes more sense to have Microsoft Intune, because it plugs into Azure AD Premium, it plugs into Information Rights Management, it plugs into Windows Defender, so you have that single dashboard. It also has an integration with System Center which means again, from a single pane of glass, I can manage everything.

I believe they've just released a Mac OS support so that's great. And it has its own sandboxing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see micro VPN. I like the way that some of the other providers have done something similar where, as you open that app on an end-point device, it creates a micro VPN straight into your device, which is quite a nice little feature.

The stability is better than it was. It's brilliant. It's a lot better than it was about three or four years ago. Four years ago, you wouldn't even have considered it as an MDM solution. Now, it's in the top-right quadrant.

The scalability is there. Microsoft has always said it's for SMB, public sector, and enterprise users. It needs to be there because, if you look at some of the bigger organizations using Office 365 and Microsoft 365, it's got the scalability.

What other advice do I have?

My advice would hinge on what your strategy is. It comes down to: If you're using Citrix then Citrix ZenMobile makes more sense. But if you've got a Microsoft strategy and you're looking at Microsoft security and you're looking at buying into the Microsoft cloud strategy, then Windows Intune is a very viable solution.

For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor depend on what is it I'm trying to achieve. I always want to check:

• where it ranks in industry reviews
  • for the features that I'm looking for
  • pricing.

For example, I may have a product that's brilliant and is amazing and does 120 things, but costs $10 per month; if I only need two of those features and I've got another product that has only those two features and it only costs $2 per month, I'd rather go for that.

I would rate Intune at about a nine out of 10 because it has come a long way, it is continuing to be developed, and I can see it as part of Microsoft's wider vision. It's not 100 percent there but it's getting there. The fact that you can now plug Intune into third-party products is fantastic.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Licensing Service Provider.
Jorge Barturen - PeerSpot reviewer
Systems Consultant with 11-50 employees
We can better avoid information leaks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the inventory of phones and deployment of Office 365. It is used for conditional access.

How has it helped my organization?

We can better avoid information leaks.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access: This feature helps me control uncontrolled access.

What needs improvement?

It needs incorporation of Knox, ZeroTouch, etc.

it_user824028 - PeerSpot reviewer
Mobile Devices Administrator at NBB
User
It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes, though it has remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the following:

• MDM
  • EMM
  • Cloud app protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improve our organization through the remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What needs improvement?

It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes.

More than five years.
it_user824247 - PeerSpot reviewer
System Consultant with 51-200 employees
Cloud Administration Is the Most Valuable Option

What is our primary use case?

Using Mobile Application Management for delivery apps to our users on a secure way to Windows and Apple devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to deliver applications fast to our mobile workloads so that users can make use of it instantly.

What is most valuable?

Cloud administration is the most valuable option. No need to install any Management applications.

What needs improvement?

Management of Linux devices from Microsoft Intune would be great. Then we can any device and not only Windows and Apple.

it_user800550 - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager, Applications at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Conditional access has helped us enforce our security policies in the mobile space, however it lags behind competitors in MAM capabilities

What is our primary use case?

How has it helped my organization?

Much easier installation than previous MDM solutions at 3M, including Good For Enterprise and SAP Afaria.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access has helped 3M tailor and enforce our security policies in the mobile space.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Intune lags market leaders, such as Apperian, in its MAM capabilities.

Intune lags all of its competitors in terms of report generation.

Keith Williams - PeerSpot reviewer
Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Business Desktop Workspace in a serverless environment
  • "The ability to (somewhat) manage full Windows 10 computers including EXE-based or MSI-based application deployments using Azure Active Directory as Identity."
  • "Additional application deployment options e.g. MSI deployment with more complex parameters or additional side-by-side files, and non-MSI deployment options."

What is our primary use case?

Serverless Win10 with App deployment, Azure Active Directory and remote support. Can now co-manage devices with both Intune and Configuration Manager!

What is most valuable?

And NOW (last quarter 2017), the ability to co-manage computers with BOTH InTune and System Centre Configuration Manager allows complex application delivery and ConfigMgr reporting etc to add more value.

How has it helped my organization?

For our customer, it meant no on-premise systems configuration infrastructure or identity management services were required.

What needs improvement?

Logs and similar deployment/remediation detail for application delivery to Windows 10 computers should to be improved

Unsure. Some application deployments to Windows 10 computers would not start for a long period, with no recourse but to wait and see.

Not relevant in our situation.

It wasn’t necessary to escalate an any point.

We didn’t have a previous tool. The solution was required to extract a company from another as part of a demerger. The new entity was our customer.

Application delivery to Windows 10 was straightforward for someone with prior System Centre Configuration Manager and application deployment skill sets.

We are the vendor. Intune expertise was low at the start of the engagement, but we now have a fully developed Modern Management (Intune) practice.

Not calculated

Consider the Microsoft Enterprise Mobility Suite rather than choosing specific sub-components, e.g. only Microsoft Intune.

We didn’t examine other tools.

What other advice do I have?

Allow sufficient time to pilot and test.

With the ability to now co-manage computers with BOTH InTune and System Centre Configuration Manager, you can pilot-test Intune without compromising on your proven systems management using ConfigMgr.

it_user452988 - PeerSpot reviewer
Deputy Manager of Information Technology at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the integration with Office 365 and Azure.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the integration with Office 365 and Azure. This is due to having the single sign-on experience, management, and policy deployment directly from the Azure console.

How has it helped my organization?

Mobile phones and devices are now delivered in a few minutes to the user and Intune does all of the configuration automatically. Before Intune, the manual process took more than one hour.

What needs improvement?

Intune has no remote control function for mobile phones to solve issues remotely for users.

We have been using the solution for two years.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

The technical support is very good.

Previously, we used Sybase Afaria. It was too complex and it was not stable.

The setup was very simple and fast.

It is good to negotiate with Microsoft as part of their other services, such as Office 365 or Azure.

We evaluated AirWatch, SOTI MobiControl, and IBM MaaS360.

What other advice do I have?

If they have Office 365 or Azure, Intune is by far the best choice.

Download our free Microsoft Intune Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022