We changed our name from IT Central Station: Here's why
System Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
It's more powerful than other tools, and each new version has more capabilities
  • "Power BI is more powerful than other tools because it is new for us. Each new version has more capabilities, and we're expecting AI and ML features in the next version."
  • "Power BI's administration could use some work, and the user experience needs to improve because it is a client-based tool. If you want to generate a model or report, you need to use client tools, but client tools are limited for end-users who don't have enough hardware. For example, maybe a client lacks enough memory or CPU power for report generators. If you use a model that requires a massive amount of data, your client will face several problems."

What is most valuable?

Power BI is more powerful than other tools because it is new for us. Each new version has more capabilities, and we're expecting AI and ML features in the next version.

What needs improvement?

Power BI's administration could use some work, and the user experience needs to improve because it is a client-based tool. If you want to generate a model or report, you need to use client tools, but client tools are limited for end-users who don't have enough hardware. For example, maybe a client lacks enough memory or CPU power for report generators. If you use a model that requires a massive amount of data, your client will face several problems.

We are using an embedded BI because we are using it to report a portal, and this portal includes some screens that come from Power BI, so the embedded BI needs to improve. It would also be helpful if Microsoft made AI and ML capabilities available for private cloud users.

We have been using Power BI for about one year.

Power BI is stable.

Power BI has limited scalability. The modeling area needs to improve in this regard.

We have a limited license, but if we use more time or have more reports, usage, and concurrency, then the license cost will go up.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI eight out of 10.

Head of Global Services Business Performance Management at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Simple visualizations, frequent updates, and good support
  • "The most valuable features of Microsoft BI are the variety of possibilities to connect to various data sources. The visualizations are easily done, have useful rollover functions, and there are continuous updates being made to the system. You can benefit from the various improvements."
  • "I'm missing collaborations functionality to operate or to work connected with multiple people on a data source or on virtualization. There should be more collaborations functions, such as in Confluence. We haven't explored the solution sufficiently in this area, but at this time it doesn't look sufficient."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Microsoft BI are the variety of possibilities to connect to various data sources. The visualizations are easily done, have useful rollover functions, and there are continuous updates being made to the system. You can benefit from the various improvements.

What needs improvement?

I'm missing collaborations functionality to operate or to work connected with multiple people on a data source or on virtualization. There should be more collaborations functions, such as in Confluence. We haven't explored the solution sufficiently in this area, but at this time it doesn't look sufficient.

I would want one platform, which can be used for top management meetings where you see and comment on the data. That would be a perfect combination. Everybody has access, sees the status, the data, and the comments, and that will make life easier for us.

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately three years.

Microsoft BI is stable.

I have found Microsoft BI to be scalable.

The technical support from Microsoft has been good.

The setup is good. Everybody can test and try the solution, it's not rocket science. There is a lot of training and courses available. We decided to have a separate workforce for that purpose which is doing nothing else than Microsoft BI every day in India. It has been very effective.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2022.
564,322 professionals have used our research since 2012.
BI and data chief consultant at a media company with 11-50 employees
Allows you to create dashboard presentations
    • "We would like it if they added more Python libraries in the Power BI service. For Power BI service right now, you can use Python, but it is limited to a few libraries or a few packages from Python."

What is our primary use case?

We are implementing it for dashboard presentation. For example, one of our customers is in the energy sector. Another one is in the government sector, so it's dashboards mainly.

What is most valuable?

The ability to create dashboard presentations for various sectors is a valuable feature. It's an excellent product.

What needs improvement?

We would like it if they added more Python libraries in the Power BI service. For Power BI service right now, you can use Python, but it is limited to a few libraries or a few packages from Python. Other than that, it's an excellent product.

Another area that could be improved is maybe more extensions or more visuals.

I have been working with Power BI for four or five years. I am working with the latest version. It's a monthly release.

The solution is stable.

Microsoft BI is scalable.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 9 out of 10.

For someone who is looking into implementing this product, my advice is to check between the two versions because Microsoft Power BI is not one solution. You have one solution which is coming with SQL services on-prem and you have the cloud solution. You need to check because there are differences in the features. Anyone who is implementing Power BI needs to be careful on which platform they're using: on-premise or on the cloud. There is a difference in the features between the two solutions.

Manage Client Partner at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
    Feature rich, functional dashboard, and plenty of charting visuals
    • "I have found the best features to be the dashboard creation, graphs, charts, and presentation bar graphs."
    • "I have been doing trial and error to figuring out how to do the data analyzing and modeling. There could be some improvement to simplify it."

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for data analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have found the best features to be the dashboard creation, graphs, charts, and presentation bar graphs. As for now, I am able to do a lot of operations but not with much proficiency. I am just getting started with it. I am not very good at doing dashboard creation or writing reports but sometimes I do it during office hours to understand and learn the analytical tools.

What needs improvement?

I have been doing trial and error to figuring out how to do the data analyzing and modeling. There could be some improvement to simplify it.

I have been using the solution for approximately one year.

I am only working with small datasets at the moment and the solution has been stable. I am not sure how it will be for larger datasets. We have approximately 50 people using the solution in my organization.

This solution came free, it was offered by Microsoft with our E3 license.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is a useful tool for the business and experts. It has plenty of features. I do not have a lot of advice because I am just starting to explore the solution but I have found it very helpful in terms of data presentation.

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Senior Data Engineer at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Easy to use, quick report generating, and simple installation
    • "Microsoft BI was very helpful for me because I had a huge variety of connections. It is very convenient to build reports, even if somebody has no experience using BI tools or data visualizations. Additionally, the performance is very good when generating reports."

What is our primary use case?

I used Microsoft BI to develop reports and then deployed them into Microsoft BI web.

What is most valuable?

I have been using Microsoft BI for approximately three months.

The stability of the solution has been good.

The solution is scalable.

We have approximately 100 people in my organization using the solution and they are mostly managers.

We used the solution on a daily basis, we were using it extensively.

I have used Tableau previously.

The initial setup was very easy to complete and it took approximately 30 minutes.

We did the implementation of the solution using two technicians.

The current licensing model that Microsoft BI has is expensive. My customers have told me the cost is approximately $20 per user and this can get expensive fast. There should be a one-time purchase option if the customer has a lot of users.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Associate Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
      Suitable for smaller businesses, scalable, but large data challenges
      • "In my experience the scalability is good. You are able to increase users and add more data."
      • "When there are large amounts of data being processed there are additional tools needed to handle it."

What is our primary use case?

Microsoft BI can be used for business data visualization.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, there could be an associative experience, such as in Qlik.

I have been using this solution for approximately four years.

The stability is good but as you add more data the stability decreases.

In my experience the scalability is good. You are able to increase users and add more data.

The initial setup can be easy if you have a small amount of data being used. I have found Qlik is better if you have large amounts of data.

We have a team of approximately 20 people that handle BI operations.

The solution is priced well for what they offer. However, the premium version is very expensive.

I have evaluated Tableau and Qlik.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to those that have smaller businesses where they have lower user numbers and not a lot of data points. If they have a larger business I would choose an alternative, such as Qlik.

I rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
      Matheus Nery
      Data Scientist at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
      Reports creation easy, useful dashboards, and good online community support
      • "The most valuable features are the easy creation of reports, dashboards, and the ability to perform analysis. It is important for us to create reports because we have some operations during certain hours and we can use this tool to track the information."

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution to create dashboards and reports for business analytics. We are in the early stages of testing and we have yet to determine if we are going to continue using the solution. We have to fully evaluate the solution first.

How has it helped my organization?

The use of the dashboards with analytics has helped our organization.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the easy creation of reports, dashboards, and the ability to perform analysis. It is important for us to create reports because we have some operations during certain hours and we can use this tool to track the information. Additionally, it is a benefit they are adding more features all the time, such as machine learning.

I have been using this solution within the past 12 months.

The solution is stable.

I never needed to use technical support. However, they have a good online community where I found documentation, a lot of general information, and tutorial videos on YouTube and Google.

The installation is simple.

The price for this solution is reasonable. However, there is an additional cost if you want to publish the dashboard privately.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI a nine out of ten.

Consultant at a training & coaching company with 201-500 employees
        Flexible with good support but it could be more mobile friendly and the price could be better

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility it offers.

What needs improvement?

The graphic interface could be better. I would also like to see it mobile-friendly.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year. We are using the latest version.

In some ways, it is stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have 10 or 15 users in our organization.

Technical support is good, and we are satisfied with it.

Before Microsoft BI, we used Tableau.

How was the

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for analytics.

What is most valuable?

I like the flexibility it offers.

What needs improvement?

The graphic interface could be better.

I would also like to see it mobile-friendly.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year.

We are using the latest version.

In some ways, it is stable.

It's a scalable solution. We have 10 or 15 users in our organization.

Technical support is good, and we are satisfied with it.

Before Microsoft BI, we used Tableau.

I was not involved with the installation but my understanding is that it was easy to install.

We have a team of two people to maintain this solution.

There are licensing fees.

It's an expensive solution.

What other advice do I have?

I am not sure if we will continue to use this solution, it depends on the business requirements.

Depending on their business size and setup, I may recommend this solution.

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.