Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Project Manager at GlaxoSmithKline
Very good toggling feature; unfortunately some performance issues and inability to aggregate
  • "The solution has a good toggling feature."
  • "Lacks the ability to copy data from BI into PowerPoint."

What is our primary use case?

I'm a project manager and we are customers of Microsoft.

What is most valuable?

I like the toggling feature, the ability to switch from one page to another.

What needs improvement?

I have a couple of dashboards that are weekly and monthly. I was able to download the dashboard, but I cannot paste any images into PowerPoint. There are also visuals based on the brand that should automatically pop up in the graph and which should be a toggling option. And I'm having performance issues if I want to add two or three tables at a time, which I could easily do in Tableau. Copy-pasting data to PowerPoint for presentation to the executive level should be easy but we're only able to copy the visual, not the underlying data.

I've been using this solution for the past eight months.

Microsoft BI
September 2022
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft BI. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2022.
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is scalable but we haven't yet migrated everyone to Power BI. Our users are not finding Power BI as good as Pique, which perhaps they're just more used to. They're trying but some of the features available in Pique are not there so they are not comprehensively using it. It's being used mainly for internal analysis for now.

We initially used Tableau because our data was an internal data source, and now all of our data is migrated to tool environments, that the Power BI is more comfortable with. BI is also a free product which is another reason the company recommends it.

The initial setup was straightforward, we have a Power BI admin team who take care of all that.

What other advice do I have?

Because of performance issues and because we're unable to do all the aggregation, I rate this solution six out of 10.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Technical coordinator at a university with 201-500 employees
Reliable, problem-free, and easy to set up
  • "We have found the product very stable and reliable."
  • "The reporting needs to be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it, for instance, to figure out some indicators in regards to our students including the number of students, which are graduating, et cetera.

What is most valuable?

The initial setup was pretty simple.

The solution runs without issues. It's been problem-free.

We have found the product very stable and reliable.

The scalability seems to be fine for us.

What needs improvement?

We'd like to have the ability to relate different reports by common factors from the user side, including relating different reports directly instead of fetching the data to enter into an external tool like Excel or something like that. The reporting needs to be improved.

I've used the solution for about three to six months or so.

The stability has been good. There aren't bugs or glitches really. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's pretty reliable.

For our use case, the solution offers reasonable scalability. We haven't run into issues.

We have 40 to 50 people using the product right now. They are across different roles.

I'm not sure if we have a plan to increase usage at this time. We likely will not.

I haven't had a need to reach out to technical support as it's largely been problem-free. I can't speak to how they would be for support. I do not know if they are helpful or responsive.

We found the initial implementation process to be straightforward and simple. It's not overly complex or difficult.

I cannot recall the exact amount of time it actually took to deploy the product.

What other advice do I have?

I'm an end-user. However, I'm not sure which exact version of the solution we're using.

I would rate the solution at an eight out of ten. We've largely been very satisfied with its capabilities.

Microsoft BI
September 2022
632,779 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Managing Director at Innovative Business Analytics
Reasonably priced, with excellent virtualization
  • "The virtualization of Microsoft BI is very good."
  • "The DAX in Microsoft BI is quite difficult."

What is our primary use case?

I am surveying and researching this solution, in order to provide it to my customer.

Microsoft BI is used to create a dashboard or reports in the customer's environment.

I implement Power BI on desktops for my customers to use for sales and financial analysis. The customer must purchase Power BI Pro from their company, and then they can use it.

What is most valuable?

The virtualization of Microsoft BI is very good.

What needs improvement?

The DAX in Microsoft BI is quite difficult.

The DAX is where the soft data is accessed. The DAX command is used for coding.

I would like to see the DAX simplified, and the number of pages in Microsoft BI should not be limited to one. You should be able to scroll endlessly left, right, up, and down. Typically, Power BI has a page. On this page, the limit could be eight or ten objects that fill the entire page, and you must proceed to the next page. If possible, I'd like Power BI to do the scroll up, scroll down, with unlimited scrolling on one page.

I have been working with Microsoft BI for a few months.

The price is good. They have a free Power BI Desktop version, but it has limitations.

They also offer Power BI Pro at a reasonable price. Power BI Pro is appropriate for large enterprises with at least 500 users. The price may be very expensive per month.

The pro version is not suitable for the majority of my customers, who have five or ten users.

What other advice do I have?

If you are a single person using this solution, I would recommend using the desktop version. Power Pro can be used for multiple users ranging from 20 to 50, eliminating the need to invest in Power BI Premium.

Maybe, in the long run, I can be a Microsoft partner, but first I need a large number of customers.

I would rate Microsoft BI an eight out of ten.

DGM IT at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy to use solution
  • "The data can be accessed from anywhere."
  • "I would like to see a more user-friendly interface with Microsoft BI."

What is our primary use case?

Our company is a manufacturing firm. We have an ERP running in our company. I develop the reports for the business that include sales, stock and production related information. These dashboards are used for analytics purposes by management, enabling them to make decisions regarding the products and business improvement.

We use the BI text file and summarize the information on dashboards to help management make the right decisions for the business. The information includes production figures, running status, forecasts and actual positions.

We have 10  users of this solution.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Microsoft BI is the ease of use. The data can be accessed from anywhere. We control access through Office 365.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a more user-friendly interface with Microsoft BI. Microsoft does regular updates, new features are added every month or so.

I have been using Microsoft BI for one year.

Microsoft Power BI is stable with no issue.

The solution is scalable.

Overall, technical support is good.

Prior to using Microsoft BI, we had been using OBIEE. Oracle is a complicated product with poor visuals. Comparing with Microsoft BI, we found Microsoft to have better handling, graphics, features, and easier development and coding.

The initial deployment of Microsoft BI was relatively easy. We installed it to the machine and connected it to our Oracle database.

We were able to install the solution ourselves internally.

Microsoft BI requires licenses.

What other advice do I have?

Microsoft Power BI is an easy product. If you have some idea about the business intelligence solutions and some technical knowledge, it is a self-deployed solution.

I would rate the solution an 8 out of 10.

Enrique Pacheco - PeerSpot reviewer
Managing Director at IDMdev Tech Solutions®
It is stable and provides a quick view of the most important indicators, but its setup and support should be better
  • "The use of graphics to show and view the data indicators is the most valuable feature. It is also very stable."
  • "Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions."

What is our primary use case?

We have integrated this solution into the software that we created for a client specifically for reports and data consumption. It is a hybrid infrastructure project with hybrid integration. It has a lot of reports executed or created from the cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to have a really quick view of the most important indicators of the operational issues of our platform. It has enabled collaboration between different operational levels in the company.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

Its setup and support should be improved. We would like to see more material for developers that provides clear explanations about how we can do data mining by using Microsoft BI. It would also be good if we can connect a feature to other customized machine learning solutions.

It has good stability.

We haven't used it a lot, but it seems good so far. We have only three users. We may include two or three more users to the platform.

Their technical support is bad. I didn't like the technical support of Microsoft.

We also use Oracle and Tableau.

The initial setup was not complex, but we would like a more agile process. The initial deployment took about two months. The platform that we created was very robust.

We are a reseller of the solution. We did the deployment.

We were thinking of integrating Tableau instead of Microsoft BI, but the client chose Microsoft BI.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Microsoft BI a seven out of ten.

Marian Petkov - PeerSpot reviewer
Team Leader at Eurobank EFG Bulgaria AD
An intelligent and intuitive data visualization and analytics tool
  • "It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel."
  • "I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project."

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft BI for the visualization of data. We also hope to use it for machine learning as it's very powerful, but at the moment, we are trying to get authorized for reporting and analysis.

What is most valuable?

It's similar to Excel, but it's much more powerful than Excel. I love the unlimited number of rows that can be processed, the grant server application, and the strong security.

It produces a very nice picture — very nice graph managers that are very attractive.

The way you prepare your reports is very intelligent and intuitive.

It's very easy to operate and the dashboard is great.

I have been using this solution for a few months now.

Microsoft BI is stable, but I cannot comment on the stability as we haven't yet used it for a big project.

The customer support is excellent. We get perfect support and it is regional — not only in our country, but there is also regional representation from Microsoft's so-called architects; they are very good professionals who help us with whatever we require.

Currently, we are in process of implementing this solution on my computer. I installed the Microsoft Power BI desktop application very easily and started my training. I didn't experience any difficulties.

I collected information from several sources and it's been working well — I am happy with this software.

I needed about 15 minutes to install the desktop application. The other portion is web-based, so I haven't gotten to that yet.

Microsoft BI is not very cheap. A premium license costs roughly 5,000 euros a month.

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend this solution to other interested companies.

Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft BI a rating of eight.

Power BI Technical Specialist at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Useful for collaboration and insightful data visualizations, highly scalable, and easy to deploy
  • "We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations."
  • "Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region. Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for reporting ERP data, IT service data, financial data, and so on.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been helpful in getting insights. We weren't able to get insights at such a level. It is also helpful in getting an overview of different departments. We are able to do it much faster than before.

What is most valuable?

We are able to collaborate on things and get insightful data visualizations.

What needs improvement?

Its performance and stability can be improved. It takes time to load, and sometimes, it also breaks down for the whole region.

Its usability could also be better, and it could also have more connections with different data sources.

I have been using this solution for two years. In this company, I have been using it for two months.

It is not completely stable. Sometimes, it goes off for the whole North Europe region. Its stability should be improved.

It is scalable, and there are no issues with its scalability. I would rate it a ten out of ten in terms of scalability. We have around 300 users of this solution.

We don't have any issues with their technical support.

I have worked only with Power BI.

It is easy because documentation and a lot of tutorials are available. Its deployment took one month.

Power BI premium is really expensive for our market. A lot of small and medium companies would like to purchase it, but they can't afford it.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Power BI an eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Operations Center Technician at a renewables & environment company with 501-1,000 employees
The visualization is convenient and easy to use.
  • "I like that I can use Power BI to upload data. That is very important for me. The visualization is also convenient and easy to use."
  • "The maps in Power BI could be improved. You deal with many maps over the years, like maps of America and Saudi Arabia. The maps aren't detailed enough, and there aren't enough visualization tools. Whenever I want to use a map, I struggle with choosing the right visualization."

What is our primary use case?

We use Power BI for dashboards and various reports. It's primarily a visualization tool. We don't use it for business intelligence— just visualization.

What is most valuable?

I like that I can use Power BI to upload data. That is very important for me. The visualization is also convenient and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

The maps in Power BI could be improved. You deal with many maps over the years, like maps of America and Saudi Arabia. The maps aren't detailed enough, and there aren't enough visualization tools. Whenever I want to use a map, I struggle with choosing the right visualization.

We've been using Microsoft BI for about three years now.

Microsoft BI is scalable. There are some limitations depending on the amount of data you need, but it's enough for me so far. We have about 50 users, and we'll likely increase our usage in the coming years as Microsoft adds more features and our people train themselves to do more with it.

Setting up Microsoft BI is straightforward. It took about one week if you include training on how to send reports and other things. We were able to do it by ourselves with a team of about five people.

The license is annual. If you need a fancy visualization, you have to pay a bit more, but a valid license covers everything else. I'm developing reports and rolling them out to some users who are not developers, so I need the visualization and have to pay for the license. In the case of Tableau, you don't need to pay, or maybe you spend a little less because you're not a developer.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Microsoft BI 10 out of 10.

Download our free Microsoft BI Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: September 2022