IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
It specialist
Reliable, easy to expand, and is straightforward to set up
  • "We found the initial setup to be easy."
  • "We have dealt with a few minor bugs."

What is our primary use case?

Mainly, we do some configurations and allow for ports to be opened on the firewall.

What is most valuable?

For the most part, the solution has been stable. The solution can scale fairly well.  The cloud-based deployment is very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

We have dealt with a few minor bugs.  We would like the solution to lower its costs.

I've been using the solution for one year.
Meraki MS Switches
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Meraki MS Switches. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is largely stable and reliable. That said, we have faced some very minor bugs here and there. It hasn't been a big deal in general.

The scalability is good. It's likely as scalable as Aruba, for example. If a company needs to expand it, it can do so.  We have 150 people using the solution currently.

We've never contacted technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they are.

We also work with Aruba. I've also worked with FortiSwitch in the past, at a different job.

We have found the initial setup to be easy. If it is cloud-based, it's a really easy installation. There is no need for a reprogram mission or something like that or to even worry about having to do some coding.  I cannot recall how long the deployment took. However, it does depend on the internet connection. As a cloud-based solution, you need to download all the configurations from the headquarters.  You only need one manager and two technicians to handle the deployment and maintenance tasks.

Users do have to pay to license the solution.  The pricing could be lowered a bit.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution, however, it depends on the project.  I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.

Tony-Moore - PeerSpot reviewer
President at Virtual Tech Computer Solutions
Integrated SD-WAN, stable, and offers good visibility using the dashboard
  • "The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass."
  • "The pain point for our customers is the pricing and it should be reduced to make it more competitive."

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and the Meraki MS Switches are one of the products that we implement for our clients as part of their network infrastructure.

One of our typical use cases is connecting stores within a retail environment.

What is most valuable?

The SD-WAN capability is already integrated and it is excellent.

It can easily tie into the backend of Azure.

The most valuable feature is the granular visibility that they provide with a single pane of glass. It is a very useful dashboard.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with this product for a couple of years.

I haven't had any problem with Cisco at all. I would say that they are pretty solid in terms of stability.

Different switch models are chosen based on the size of the site. We use certain models at smaller sites, whereas we use different models for the larger sites. Overall, scalability is excellent.

Technical support is good and they are on top of everything.

I work with several similar products by different vendors and sometimes, people buy them instead because they are cheaper.

The initial setup is straightforward. The administration is usually handled by people like the VP of technology in the company.

The pricing is high and it is where we get the most pushback from customers.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this type of product is to do the research. From my experience, Meraki switches sell themselves and the only thing that people contest is the price.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Meraki MS Switches
June 2022
608,713 professionals have used our research since 2012.
DarrenHaun - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Vice President at Horizon Mechanical Solutions
The VPN and VLAN features are easy to set up and use
  • "Meraki's site-to-site VPN function is phenomenal, and the VLAN is simple to use and set up. If you need the VLAN to sort the networks out, that works very well. The performance is also excellent."
  • "Licensing is the only thing I can complain about. It's expensive, but everything is these days."

How has it helped my organization?

When Meraki creates a VPN, you don't even have to configure it. You say that you want this to talk, and it automatically creates a connection. That's the greatest part of it. You don't have to deal with passwords and keys.

What is most valuable?

Meraki's site-to-site VPN function is phenomenal, and the VLAN is simple to use and set up. If you need the VLAN to sort the networks out, that works very well. The performance is also excellent.

I've been using Meraki MS Switches for a couple of years now.

Meraki MS Switches are rock solid. We haven't had any downtime.

It'll scale up as much as I need, and there are many more options higher than what I've got, so their scalability is superb. Right now, we have about 40 users.

Cisco support is excellent.

I had some Hewlett Packard switches before. We decided to go with Meraki because it offers a holistic integrated solution with management through a single pane of glass.

Setting up a Meraki switch is straightforward. You just plug it in, and it goes. I could do it all myself.

Licensing is the only thing I can complain about. It's expensive, but everything is these days. There are no added costs beyond the hardware. Overall, I rate Meraki MS Switches eight out of 10 for affordability.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Meraki MS Switches 10 out of 10. If you're considering Meraki, I say do it. You'll never look back.

Private Cloud

Microsoft Azure
Senior Consultant at a consultancy with 10,001+ employees
User-friendly with a simple interface, and we can orchestrate our network from the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a consultancy and we work with a variety of networking products, including Meraki MS Switches. Our primary use case is cloud orchestration, where you can log in from anywhere and manage our devices remotely.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to orchestrate the network from the cloud.

These switches are simple to use and the user interface is good.

What needs improvement?

Technical support can be faster to respond to non-telephone originated inquiries.

I have been using Meraki MS Switches for the past five months.

We are satisfied with the stability and plan to continue using this product.

I would rate scalability at 60% because it doesn't have the core functionality required for aggregated interfaces. For example, you can not use a virtual device context, so you can't scale easily.

We have close to 300 users in the organization.

The technical support is awesome. However, when you leave a case, they will not immediately contact you unless you first call them and explain that it is of high priority. They will respond immediately but it is important that you contact them by phone, first.

I used to work primarily with Juniper switches but I also work with Cisco and Meraki products. I was not part of the decision to use Meraki.

The initial setup is very straightforward and they can be deployed within minutes.

We have the hardware on-premises but it is a cloud-based, SD-WAN solution.

I normally deploy these switches myself.

What other advice do I have?

For cloud usage, I recommend this product.

IT Engineer at a printing company with 201-500 employees
Easy to set up, monitor, and check the switch status
  • "It is easy to set up and easy to monitor. It is also easy to check the status of the switch."
  • "It would be great if the switch can identify the IP address connected to the network port. It seems most of the switches cannot identify the IP address. They can identify the MAC address but not the IP address."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for general network switch purposes.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to set up and easy to monitor. It is also easy to check the status of the switch.

What needs improvement?

It would be great if the switch can identify the IP address connected to the network port. It seems most of the switches cannot identify the IP address. They can identify the MAC address but not the IP address.

I have been using this solution for almost one year.

It is pretty stable. We had only one issue related to the cooling fan, and they had to call the hardware back. We had to switch the hardware to fix the issue, and it took a while. That was the only issue we had.

In our company, we have about 400 users, but on this site, we have only 150 users.

We didn't need any kind of support, but I think the support is good.

We were using a Cisco switch. We switched to Meraki because of the monitoring capabilities. Meraki is on the cloud, so it is easier to monitor. It is also easier to check the status of the switch, which is a good thing for a network administrator.

The initial setup is really easy because everything is on the web. Most of the stuff has been implemented on the cloud. Once you receive the switch, you just connect to the cloud. There is no installation as such.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. This is a good product from my standpoint. We plan to continue using this solution.

I would rate Meraki MS Switches a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud
Dhanushka Chaitanya - PeerSpot reviewer
Assistant Manager -Enterprise Networking Solutions at VSIS
A user-friendly cloud managed access and aggregation switches with a useful visibility feature
  • "We find value in its ability to enable cloud management and visibility. They are also easy to deploy. It's very convenient because you can see who is accessing, what type of UI system they're using, what applications they're using, the bandwidth, and more."
  • "Their subscription model could be better. Some of our customers prefer a one-time payment to a monthly or yearly subscription model, so they don't buy the product. Technical support could also be better."

What is our primary use case?

We provide Meraki Switches to schools, universities, and hospitals.

What is most valuable?

We find value in its ability to enable cloud management and visibility. They are also easy to deploy. It's very convenient because you can see who is accessing, what type of UI system they're using, what applications they're using, the bandwidth, and more. Management is also easy as you can access and manage the switches from anywhere. As it's managed on the cloud, we can support customers remotely if there's a problem.

What needs improvement?

We have been dealing with Meraki MS Switches for about four years.

It's a stable product.

Meraki MS Switches are scalable.

Technical support could be better. Some support agents aren't adequately qualified to support us. Their technical skill needs to improve.

Meraki Switches have some advantages compared to others. For example, visibility, management, and auto device detection.

The initial setup is simple.

We provide installation and implementation services. Most of our customers use the warranty for maintenance.

It would be better if they had a one-time purchase option instead of a subscription model.

What other advice do I have?

It's more suitable for medium-sized companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Meraki MS Switches a nine.

Mansukh Bhesania - PeerSpot reviewer
MD and CEO at Aster Networks Pvt Ltd
Easy to manage remotely and the SD-WAN features are good

What is our primary use case?

We are a system integrator and Meraki MS Switches are one of the network infrastructure products that we implement for our clients. My goal is to give the proper service and proper ideas. Our customers for this product include educational institutions, manufacturing plants, and banks.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is cloud management. In particular, if you are required to manage the switch remotely then this is a good solution.

The SD-WAN features are very good.

What needs improvement?

I don't think that the cost is a problem, but sometimes the price requires convincing the customer of the value.

We have been working with Meraki Switches for the past 10 to 12 years.

Stability-wise, I have not had a bad experience in the past and none of my customers are complaining.

Scalability has not been a problem.

The Cisco technical support is good and we have had no problem at all. When we require help then they are excellent.

I work with and promote many different switches including the standard Cisco and Meraki products.

The initial setup is very easy to complete.

What other advice do I have?

Overall, this is a good product and I am actively promoting it.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
IT Manager at a hospitality company with 201-500 employees
Allows you to stagger the firmware updates and is easy to configure and use
  • "The most valuable features are ease of use and configuration. It has a cloud-based configuration that makes it easy."
  • "They tend to have some weird issues with fiber uplinks."

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are ease of use and configuration. It has a cloud-based configuration that makes it easy.

They've added some improvements to firmware update scheduling where you can stagger the updates, which is the biggest advantage. Prior to that, you could not stagger updates when you have data center switches or stacks, which was difficult. They've now added some improvements for more update processes to stagger devices, which has greatly improved my happiness. It is in beta right now.

What needs improvement?

They tend to have some weird issues with fiber uplinks.

I have been using these switches for six years. We have the latest version.

They are stable. The only issues I've encountered are with fiber uplinks.

I don't have any scalability issues, but there are certain things for which I probably wouldn't use it, such as storage area, networking, etc. For local LAN, it shouldn't have any scalability issues.

It's usually pretty good. It tends to lack when we run into some bug issues. They take time.

It was straightforward. For maintenance, one to two people are enough for about 200 users.

It depends on what type of equipment you have and other things. We're about $17,000 a year.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate these switches an eight out of ten.

Download our free Meraki MS Switches Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022