Radek Zajicek - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Lead at a printing company with 1-10 employees
I can easily define and customize the search queries, and I haven't seen any outages in the last five years

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for software development tracking, bug tracking, feature tracking, and so on.

We are using the cloud version from Atlassian, and we have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The way we can define and customize the search queries for the tickets in Jira is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

The way to configure it can definitely be improved. It is very difficult and complex to configure. Its configuration should be simplified.

I don't have any requirements for new features. It is a standard system, and we use just a part of the functionality.

I have been using this solution for five to ten years. I use it on a daily basis.

Jira
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Jira. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Its stability is good. In the last five years, I haven't seen any outages.

We are a very small team, and we don't have any requirements for scalability.

I have not contacted their technical support.

The initial setup and the out-of-box features and functions are very straightforward. I would rate it a five out of five in terms of ease. You can just create an account and start to use it.

It is a cloud solution offered by Atlassian. There is no on-premises setup, and it doesn't require any maintenance from our side.

It is subscription-based, and we probably pay yearly. I would rate it a four out of five in terms of price.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Other
Owner at TRS
Feature-rich, complete, stable, and easy to administer
  • "It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer."
  • "Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things."

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution because it comes with some of the products that we are using. It is a part of the package. Our usage is quite basic, and we have not finished exploring and deploying the whole solution.

What is most valuable?

It is a complete solution. It has more features as compared to other tools, especially the open-source one that we use. It is also easy to administer.

What needs improvement?

Based on the feedback from my admin, it is sometimes difficult to find some of the features. It is not a big deal, but its configuration interface can be improved to make it easy to find things.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It is very stable.

We have not deployed it on a very large scale. For now, we have ten users, and it is mostly used for our internal things, but from next week, we're opening it for the community. We'll have a broader experience of the product.

We haven't used their technical support so far.

I have not heard of any complaints about the installation. It takes almost half a day to install. It took some time to configure it for different tools that we use, but the installation was straightforward. There is enough documentation for its installation.

We did it on our own. I only have one admin guy for its deployment.

We are a regional research and education institute. We're using the free license provided for educational institutes.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. I would rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Jira
November 2022
655,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Software Engineering Manager at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good technical support, but more reports needed
  • "I have found Jira to be scalable."
  • "We have gone through several version changes and some of those changes have not been intuitive. There was a learning curve and we had some complaints internally about the changes, such as the new interface."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for ticket management.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped my companies efficiency with managing tickets throughout the life cycle.

What needs improvement?

We have gone through several version changes and some of those changes have not been intuitive. There was a learning curve and we had some complaints internally about the changes, such as the new interface.

The solution could improve the Agile reports. They do have quite a bit of reports already, but additional reports would be a benefit.

I have used Jira within the past 12 months.

Jira is stable.

I have found Jira to be scalable.

We have a few hundreds using Jira in my organization. They consist of developers, project managers, and testers.

Whether we increase usage of the solution depends on what each team wants to do. There is some level of common solution approach, but I don't know for sure whether this is the direction that everybody is wanting to adopt.

We had to reach out to their support a few times. The support was good, I did not have any issues with them.

The initial setup was not difficult.

We have an IT team that supports the solution.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others wanting to implement this solution is to utilize the SaaS solution unless it is required not to. Having your own instance running in your data center or private cloud requires your own staff and resources to maintain and upkeep. It can be quite time-consuming work. Unless you are invested in something like that, there is a benefit of just using a SaaS solution.

I rate Jira a seven out of ten.

Cyber Security Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Good performance, with real-time collaboration, but the integration could be improved
  • "We integrate Jira with QRadar which is helpful."
  • "I would like to see more integration available with more tools."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira for ETCM. It's for ticketing with QRadar.

What is most valuable?

We integrate Jira with QRadar which is helpful.

The performance is quite good.

It has real-time collaboration.

It provides good visual data easily.

What needs improvement?

While Jira integrates well with QRadar, it is not integrated with Splunk for example.

I would like to see more integration available with more tools.

Jira is not used in my company; in fact, it is not used at all. Jira is a project management tool that I use at school and during my internship.

Jira is stable. I have not experienced any issues with the stability of Jira.

We have not had any issues with the scalability of Jira.

They provide technical assistance. Whenever you need something technical, they are quick to respond.

The price seems reasonable to me. It's very similar to Splunk.

I don't believe it is expensive.

I'm not sure if they provide a free version, but we need free versions of everything to try before we buy.

I believe we simply require a longer, free version.

The initial setup is simple. I didn't do it myself, but I've read the support, the guide, and it appears to be simple.

I did some research for a school project. I needed to compare it to Splunk and a few other tools. As a result, I'm not particularly interested in purchasing them.

What other advice do I have?

I don't use Jira very often, and I don't have a lot of experience with it.

I would rate Jira a seven out of ten.

Sehrish Parvaiz - PeerSpot reviewer
Principal Project Manager at Systems Limited
Beneficial jQuery function, easy design creation, and scalable
  • "One of the most valuable features is querying because the jQuery function is very good. Additionally, we can create good designs very easily."
  • "Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira."

What is our primary use case?

We are using primarily using Jira for the project and issue tracking mostly.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

There are too many restrictions in Jira. In DevOps, you can access the dashboards easily, but in Jira, you should have more administration rights. In our organization, there are some restrictions on creating dashboards and other features. Everything should be accessible with all access rights for everyone.

Jira should allow you to create and develop pipelines easily. In India, we have to purchase them separately or integrate other data tools. All these tools should be in Jira.

I have used Jira for approximately 12 years.

Jira is stable.

In my experience Jira is scalable.

The technical support has been satisfactory but could be better.

I have used DevOps and the main difference between DevOps and Jira is the test cases. You can have test cases in DevOps, but not in Jira. This is what I have observed in my recent comparison. Jira has jQuery and it is far better than what they have in DevOps. There are some filtration and grouping settings in DevOps which I do not like.

The initial setup is easy.

Jira is expensive and a lot of people are choosing DevOps because they are cheaper, open-source, easy to use, and have basic licenses. Jira should decrease its price to be more competitive.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Jira an eight out of ten.

Kalimuthuraja Sureshkumar - PeerSpot reviewer
Automation Architect at Micro Focus
Useful dashboards, effective reports, and updates quickly
  • "The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly."
  • "The integration of Jira could improve. The solution should be able to integrate easily with other solutions, such as ERPs. There are times the solution can be slow and we have to reset it over and over again."

What is our primary use case?

We are using Jira for requirement and defect management. Not for DevOps purposes, only application development.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard and reports tracking and the setup updates quickly, I am very impressed with those features. Additionally, it is user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

In an upcoming release, they should improve the user management features. For example, when I want to monitor a project as a CEO I do not want all the details but enough that I can understand. Additionally, these features should be accessible to me by mobile.

I have been using Jira for approximately two years.

Jira is a reliable solution for that medium-sized organizations. It's not for enterprise-level organizations, they have a long way to go.

The scalability has to be improved more because Jira currently is similar to a standalone solution with very limited integration. The integration with other products has to be more.

We have approximately 50,000 people using the solution.

We use our own IT department for the technical support of Jira.

The initial setup was complex.

We used to be on a perpetual license provided by our clients.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to others. Any new startup company can start with Jira immediately because it is now offered in the cloud.

I rate Jira a nine out of ten.

Gabrielle-Renée TCHUENBOU - PeerSpot reviewer
Software Engineer | Back-end Developer at Amadeus
MSP
Confusing terminology, difficult to use, but simple user interface
  • "The design of the interface is clean and not too busy visually."
  • "I'm really new to Jira and I haven't used all of the features. However, it is quite difficult to use and manipulate. It was a little complicated for me and I don't know if it's difficult globally for others, but I had a difficult time understanding it at first. I used it for issues, epics, stories, tasks, and sub-tasks. For first-time users, Jira could be made better to help them understand."

What is most valuable?

The design of the interface is clean and not too busy visually.

What needs improvement?

I'm really new to Jira and I haven't used all of the features. However, it is quite difficult to use and manipulate. It was a little complicated for me and I don't know if it's difficult globally for others, but I had a difficult time understanding it at first. I used it for issues,  epics, stories, tasks, and sub-tasks. For first-time users, Jira could be made better to help them understand.

When you want to create something in Jira, whether it's a story or an epic on a task, you have to create a thing called an issue, and inside the issue, you have to put what type of issue it is. Either it's an epic or a story. The fact that it's called an "issue" was a little confusing for me because I didn't know where to search when I wanted to look for tasks and stories. I didn't know that I needed to search for issues and not only tasks or topics.

I have been using Jira for approximately one month.

Jira has been a stable solution.

I have found Jira to be scalable.

We have 20 people in my company using Jira.

The setup of Jira was simple.

I did not compare Jira to other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I have not had a lot of time to explore the solution. My rating might be higher if I had used it more.

I rate Jira a three out of five.

Senior DevOps/Build Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
MSP
Easy to learn, good interface, and responsive technical support
  • "Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn."
  • "Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure."

What is our primary use case?

We use Jira to create releases, tasks, sprints, and collaborate within teams. The solution can be deployed on both the cloud or on-premise.

What is most valuable?

Jira has a useful user interface and overall is easy to understand and learn.

What needs improvement?

Performance is something that can always be improved upon in a feature release. Additionally, it would be a benefit to add Markdown in Jira because sometimes it might be better to describe everything in Markdown because it is a common language structure.

I have been using Jira for approximately eight years.

Jira's stability could improve. We have experienced times when we were out of memory which is possible due to a memory leak. It is hard to pinpoint the cause, it could be the operating system.

I have had to contact the support when I had some questions about the upgrading process and they answered in a timely manner.

I have previously used a comparable solution to Jira and the largest benefit was it was free.

The setup is not difficult. I have done it a few times in Kubernetes and did upgrades, the experience was straightforward.

There are other solutions that are free making this solution seem expensive in comparison.

What other advice do I have?

I have found the cloud deployment better than the on-premise. However, for those wanting to implement this solution, I would advise them to compare the pros and cons of each before making their selection.

I rate Jira a ten out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Download our free Jira Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022