IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
MDM Technical Architect at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
A complete master data management solution with a useful fuzzy matching feature
  • "I like the number of options that are presented with Informatica, fuzzy matching, and your screen."
  • "They have too many diversified products. If you don't know Informatica, it's very confusing and feels very idiotic."

What is most valuable?

I like the number of options that are presented with Informatica, fuzzy matching, and your screen. I feel the screen or the configuration is pretty easy and pretty straightforward. To learn or to ramp up is also pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

They have too many diversified products. If you don't know Informatica, it's very confusing and feels very idiotic. If you want data quality, they have one tool. For management, they have another tool. If you say MBM, they have a tool, and they have another tool to get something up. From a split tools perspective, it's confusing for a new user and somebody who doesn't understand Informatica.  They say they provide support, but it's not easy for somebody reading and didn't use Informatica before. The price could also be better.

I've been using Informatica MDM for 12 years.

It's pretty stable.
Informatica MDM
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about Informatica MDM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Scalability depends on what you choose and how we will do it. If you don't know things, things get complicated.

It starts pretty well, but it takes time. I would give technical support only a six or seven out of 10. I won't say it's like "wow" kind of stuff.

I have been using it for a long time, so it's pretty straightforward for us. I don't know if it was complex earlier. What we're doing is technically complex, and there's always room for improvement.

We implemented it. You need two or three people to install it, then it's easy, and one person can maintain it.

It's pretty high for us. It's more on the higher side, like low to middle high.

What other advice do I have?

I would tell new users that even though you feel it's pricey, there are a lot of options that come by default. They have to understand that they have to choose somebody who understands the product very well. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Informatica MDM an eight.
MDM COE Lead at LTI - Larsen & Toubro Infotech
Core master data management solution that offers robust match concepts and algorithms

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution primarily for core master data management and deduplication.

Recently, they have come up with cloud versions, which I have not experienced. It's mostly deployed on-premise.

We have a limited number of users who are using this solution and working with the master data.

What is most valuable?

Initially, there wasn't a great product competing with Informatica for market management. It has been leading the market with hierarchy management and all the different match concepts and algorithms. They're very robust.

What needs improvement?

Informatica's issue is the licensing. Right now, there are a lot of new gen MDMs that are offering a lot in a single licensing model. VOS or Entity 360 are offering licensing differently.

I have been working with this solution for more than 10 years.

It's stable and reliable.

It's scalable.

I have had mixed experience with technical support. Sometimes it's very quick. Sometimes there isn't a quick turnaround and we don't have a person to reach out to directly to get an answer from them.

Installation was challenging. Informatica has a very robust engine, which takes a little bit of time, but they're stable.

We have a technical team of 50 people. Deployment depends on
the size and complexity of the requirements. Starting from scratch, any new implementation should take around five to six months. For new gen MDMs, the implementation can be done in three and a half months.

The ROI depends on the business requirement. If they're using their core master data and that data is helping them to address a lot of issues, then the return on investment is definitely very high. If an organization isn't using that to full scale, then it might not be that great.

It's offers value for money. They're more competitive with respect to pricing and offerings.

Informatica MDM
June 2022
610,229 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior Data Architect at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Great data quality tools and any issues are easily identified
  • "MDM doesn't require a separate IDQ."
  • "The solution doesn't directly connect to any of the analytical tools."

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is generally for product items and demonstration.

What is most valuable?

I like that Informatica MDM doesn't require a separate IDQ. In the IBM InfoSphere, we need exclusive data quality to identify the issues in the source system. But if you use Informatica MDM, that's not the case. The MDM itself identifies the issues and we can use the data quality tools and the score card. It's good compared to other tools. Troubleshooting is very easy and I believe performance is better than any other tool. It solves any complex queries you can connect, any complex route, any complex mappings, you can do it all with Informatica MDM.

What needs improvement?

I'd like the ability to directly connect from MDM to any of the analytical tools. It's a feature that would be very helpful for analytical reporting. When you connect to the cloud, there are multi-cloud technologies that will have some problem and when you connect from on-prem to cloud, there are more data latency issues than with other tools. The product is more expensive than other similar solutions.

I have six years of experience with Informatica.

It is a stable product compared to other MDM products. Other solutions like Oracle CLM and CDH are similar tools but they're not great when compared to Informatica MDM. Of course, it is very stable compared to any other MDM products.

The solution is scalable but when you do the design, you have to know what the data load will be and the number of concurrent users. Based on that you have to design the infrastructure and measure capacity.

I've implemented this solution in three or four different projects.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution a nine out of 10.

Per Olav Nymo - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Consulting Expert at a computer software company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
Strong data management tool that allows all kinds of domain modeling in one system
  • "MDM is very stable - it can handle millions of hits daily and still run 24/7."
  • "The on-prem solution is harder to learn than the cloud-based versions."

What is our primary use case?

I use MDM to collect customer information and ensure that there is no duplicate information on our system.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are that MDM has a very strong master merchant, and it's possible to model all kinds of domains in one solution.

What needs improvement?

An area for improvement would be that the pricing model is not very visible, which makes it hard to understand how much things will cost. In addition, the on-prem solution is harder to learn than the cloud-based versions. I also understand that Informatica is not porting their on-prem system to cloud, so I would like the new cloud solution to include all the features from the on-prem solution and make it the proper multi-domain MDM.

I've been using Informatica for around twenty-five years.

MDM is very stable - it can handle millions of hits daily and still run 24/7.

MDM is scalable with no problems.

As a customer, you can raise tickets, but you also have a Customer Success Manager in Informatica who is responsible for customers and helps them get the best value out of their investment. So you can raise your ticket with them, and they will help you with it.

The initial setup is straightforward on cloud, but the on-prem version is not so easy.

What other advice do I have?

Don't underestimate how much work you will have with integration (though this is an issue with every MDM solution, not just Informatica). I would give this solution a score of eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud
Architect at Wipro
Best tool for matching capability and handling large volumes

What is our primary use case?

Typical use cases for Informatica MDM include consent management (for a large telecom vendor in Australia), master-data consolidation and analytics for vendors, facilitating vendor onboarding, and syndicating and automating global data synchronization networks.

What needs improvement?

The configuration process is pretty lengthy and challenging and could be made easier to understand.

I've been using Informatica MDM for over ten years.

Informatica MDM is a very stable product.

Informatica MDM is highly scalable - we've set it up for a customer with over a hundred million customers, and the system worked quite well.

Informatica's technical support is great - I was amazed by the quality of their technical people and the support they provide, as well as their willingness to provide it.

Because it's on-prem, the initial setup is of medium complexity.

What other advice do I have?

Informatica MDM stands out as a tool that can give you the flexibility needed for doing channel-specific data quality or business validation. I don't think any tools come near it in terms of its matching capability and the volume it can handle. Unless your budget is a constraint, it's definitely the way to go. I would give Informatica MDM a rating of nine out of ten.