IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why

HPE BladeSystem OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

HPE BladeSystem is #2 ranked solution in top Blade Servers. PeerSpot users give HPE BladeSystem an average rating of 8.6 out of 10. HPE BladeSystem is most commonly compared to HPE Synergy: HPE BladeSystem vs HPE Synergy. HPE BladeSystem is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 65% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 24% of all views.
HPE BladeSystem Buyer's Guide

Download the HPE BladeSystem Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2022

What is HPE BladeSystem?
HP ProLiant BladeSystem share power, cooling, network, and storage infrastructure via the blade enclosure. Since equipment is not needed for each server, you get a dramatic reduction in power distribution units, power cables, LAN and SAN switches, connectors, adapters, and cables. And you can add the newest-generation technologies by simply changing individual components.

HPE BladeSystem was previously known as HP ProLiant BL Series Servers, HP ProLiant BladeSystem, HP BladeSystem.

HPE BladeSystem Customers
EMIS Health
HPE BladeSystem Video

HPE BladeSystem Pricing Advice

What users are saying about HPE BladeSystem pricing:
"It is not expensive, really, in this class of server products."

HPE BladeSystem Reviews

Systems Analyst at BCFSA
Good service, reliable, and remotely accessible through the iLO feature
  • "Uptime and service are valuable for us. When we have an issue, uptime and being able to get an emergency replacement or actual service is the most important thing for us."
  • "I am not sure if iLO is included or if there is a separate license. If it is not included, it should be included in the license. It is such a valuable feature especially because people are working remotely."

What is our primary use case?

Most of our things are low intensity on the compute side. It is just redundancy and backup. We have some legacy apps that are web applications on .NET. They're all Windows servers.

We also have some file servers. When it comes to the file servers, we are getting away from that and moving everything to the cloud. It is mainly going to be used to maintain our legacy infrastructure, and it is mostly going to be for .NET and low-intensity things.

What is most valuable?

Uptime and service are valuable for us. When we have an issue, uptime and being able to get an emergency replacement or actual service is the most important thing for us.

With iLO and other features, our experience has been really good especially when a lot of people are working remote or offsite. The iLO feature gives us the ability to get onto our server when we're remote. In the case of any issues, we can access it and reboot it if we need to.

What needs improvement?

I am not sure if iLO is included or if there is a separate license. If it is not included, it should be included in the license. It is such a valuable feature especially because people are working remotely.

Our company has had HP rack servers for 20 years.

HPE BladeSystem
July 2022
Learn what your peers think about HPE BladeSystem. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2022.
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've only been here for seven years, and it has been really good all these years. For servers, in general, the goal is to be stable. Most of them are redundancy-based, and I don't remember having any issues. We probably had a switch fail once, but we had dual. We just got a replacement and swapped it out. There was just hard drive failure, but that's just the nature of the beast kind of thing.

We haven't done a ton of scalability. So, I don't have any thoughts on that.

In terms of its usage, we're a regulator. We are representing five industries right now. We probably have a couple of thousand people using it on their external site accessing it, but internally, we're a small organization. We only have about 300 employees. Our infrastructure team has three people right now, and we are hiring two more infrastructure people. We're not huge. In theory, one person does pretty much all the maintenance.

I personally haven't interacted with them, but my team's experience has been pretty good. They haven't had any complaints. We've always had one of the top-tier, low-downtime support packages. When things fail, usually, we get a response right away, and if it is a part-related issue, it is handled right away. I have never heard them say anything that would imply that they're not happy with the support.

We just did a merger, and the organization we merged with has two Lenovo blades that we use. Our boss's boss is a big Lenovo fan, but we don't have a ton of experience. It has been six months of usage.

It is very straightforward. The application configuration is somewhat complex, but we'll be migrating. So, it'll be very straightforward.

We're in the early stages of replacing some of our legacy hardware. Currently, we're primarily HPE, and we do have some Lenovo racks, and they're pretty old. Some of them are approaching six years.

I haven't directly dealt with HPE, but I've heard that HPE has been really good. People didn't have any complaints, but my boss's boss likes Lenovo for some reason. We're doing a general cost analysis and shopping around to see what it is like out there and what other people have experienced. We are looking at solid state because we are currently on mechanical hard drives.

Ideally, we'd like to keep everything in the same family just to limit complexity and have the same manufacturer. Having two or three manufacturers means extra things to have to look after. We are moving to the cloud as well. We're just trying to make our server room less complex.

What other advice do I have?

We like it for the most part. Support is always key for us personally. Don't lose sight of it, but ideally, it is a set-up-and-forget solution.

I would rate it a nine out of ten because it is always good to have something to strive for.

Manager of Capacity and Control Management at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Easy to set up and offers good scalability with a small footprint
  • "The solution has good scalability."
  • "They are not selling BladeSystem anymore. The end of the sale of this platform was this year, 2020."

How has it helped my organization?

Years ago, before BladeSystem, we had an EDM platform. We were working with IBM. We had IBM platforms. They consume much more energy. They are so big, so they take up a lot of space in the data center. At the time, when we migrated to BladeSystem, we reduced the amount of energy, amount of space, and we got more capacity. It's been very useful to us in that sense.

What is most valuable?

The solution has good scalability.

We can consolidate our learning infrastructure into just one chassis. You can have infrastructure scalability and capacity with memory. It is a great way to pull up together everything inside multiple platforms and in just one chassis.

Overall, its a very good product.

What needs improvement?

They are not selling BladeSystem anymore. The end of the sale of this platform was this year, 2020. Right now, if you try to buy a BladeSystem, you have to buy Synergy. I did try to buy some BladeSystem Generation 10 solutions in the USA. HP told me that they can sell this for the regular channel of HP still.

Right now, the Synergy platform has a management console that has a lot of options or features that help the administration of the platform. IN addition to that, this console cooling could integrate with the monitoring platform, so we could monitor integrity.

That said, this solution is discontinued, so any new features would only be useful on Synergy.

I've been using the solution over the last year.

The solution is very, very stable. We haven't had any issues with it. It's quite reliable.

The scalability is excellent, and it even takes up less space than, for example, IBM, and uses less energy.

I'm not sure, overall, how many users actually use the product in our organization.

The technical support is pretty good. I would rate it eight out of ten.

I'm using the technical support from Synergy. At the end of the day, it's the same tech support. They're great. That said, sometimes it takes so long, as they often need to recheck many things. Still, they solve the problem if there is one.

We used to use IBM. It was pretty bulky and took up a lot of space. It's hard to compare IBM to HP as IBM doesn't really show any good options.

The initial setup is not complex. It is straightforward.

I set up the solution myself. I didn't need the assistance of a consultant or integrator.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer.

We use the solution on Citrix platforms.

The BladeSystem compared with older solutions about energy and processor, offers more capacity and you can gain or minimize the amount of energy that you consume, which is super-helpful.

Overall, I would rate it nine out of ten.

One of the big problems that BladeSystem could look at is that systems like Microsoft Windows 2019, Linux, or Red Hat 8 demand a lot of RAM memory. There's no adaptable support. The more gigabytes or more processors that the actual operating system has, the better. With Synergy, and the power of Dell, hopefully, there will be support and adaption to the new necessities.

HPE BladeSystem
July 2022
620,319 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Windows Instructor at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable, scalable, and good support, but the setup could be simplified and it's being discontinued
  • "The most valuable feature of this solution is the ease of management with the hardware."
  • "It will be discontinued so we will have to change to another product shortly."

What is our primary use case?

We use HPE BladeSystem as an internal cloud.

How has it helped my organization?

HPE BladeSystem makes it much easier since it's been there. We can set up the hardware once and just provision what we need from that.

What is most valuable?

We are very pleased with using this solution.

What needs improvement?

We are very happy with what we have, but HPE is not going to continue with BladeSystem. It will be discontinued so we will have to change to another product shortly.

I have been using HPE BladeSystem for approximately seven years.

We use the BL460 series and the version is C7000. We have a mix of Gen9 and Gen10 servers.

Stability-wise, it's been very good for us.

We have had very few issues with it, hardware-wise, and even very few software issues with it.

Overall, the HPE BladeSystem has been very stable for us.

For our purposes, it has worked exactly the way we expected it to.

It has been very scalable for us. We have been able to add additional servers, add additional C7000 chassis, and it just continues to work. It has been very scalable and worked very well.

We have two C7000s, and a total of 17 blade servers. Most of the servers have the attached storage blade for increased storage, besides what's in the blade itself.

Our initial implementation included a couple of NAS units, but they were very slow, which is why we went with the storage blade units. That gave us better performance.

We have upgraded to some newer NAS units from HPE, and they've worked very well for us, which is why we are starting to slowly shift in that direction. That may change now since we're going to have to go with a new platform the next time we do an upgrade.

I have contacted technical support once or twice, and it was very good.

We were very pleased with the support that we received.

We went from individual servers, or individual racking at servers, to the blade system.

The initial setup was different than anything we had done before. It was a little bit complex to get initially set up. But, once it was set up, the ongoing management has been fairly easy.

If I had to do it again, it would be very easy to do, now that we're familiar with it.

We rolled it out over time. We modified our implementation a little bit as we went along, as we discovered different features and different capabilities.

I maintain the solution. It only requires one person.

I am not familiar with the pricing.

We will be evaluating other solutions since we discovered that they are not going to be making the BladeSystem anymore.

What other advice do I have?

We have had good luck with them, and good success with them.

We haven't had any issues that are major issues. We have been very pleased with it.

I would rate HPE BladeSystem a nine out of ten.

Line Technical Agent at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
Dependable hardware that is scalable and not expensive
  • "It is a stable, dependable solution."
  • "It is not expensive."
  • "The technical support is good."
  • "There could be more management capability to work with integrations."
  • "Some part of virtual connections needs improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We use BladeSystem is something that we use simply as hardware that is very reliable.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about BladeSystem is just like the purpose of the product: it is reliable hardware.

What needs improvement?

What we want to improve would be to add more management capability for BladeSystem to be integrated with a cloud platform in a hybrid model.

Another point to improve. There are sometimes problems with laptops having issues in connecting with virtual connections to the database. The virtual connections can be improved.

We have been using HPE BladeSystem for a long time. We have always worked with HP it has been between five to ten years working with their products.

BladeSystem is a very stable solution.

As it is the hardware that all the applications are running on, it is not like software. You know what you are using and the capacity, it is not like scaling the number of users. The capability of the hardware can be upgraded and more blades can be added. So it is scalable. We are definitely going to continue to use this product and we will scale it as needed.

The technical support is very good. Generally, we use a subcontractor to do a lot of the things that we require. If they need to, they can contact HPE and work with them. There do not seem to be any issues working this way.

I have used a lot of products so, I would have to make a long list of products here. It is probably good enough to know that from all of them, we have chosen to work with HPE. We feel it is the best fit and the most reliable product that we can use and it is a reasonable price.

The installation is very straight forward. We set up the hardware and there is nothing unique or complicated.

The amount of time the deployment takes depends on the number of servers that need to be deployed. For the typical deployment, we have an HPE engineer on site. For each server it is very quick, let's say one week. The complexity is not very high.

Ordinarily, we work with a general contractor such as an integrator of a consultant, but that is assuming we have a new deployment.

It is not expensive, really, in this class of server products, but as a customer, we always hope that the pricing could be lower.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product for other users who wants to start using it. On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate HPE BladeSystem as an eight-out-of-ten.

The product can be improved and earn a higher rating by improving virtual connection integration, maybe lowering the cost (without degrading the quality of the product), and having a dedicated contact with HP for some critical issues if they arise.

VMware Software Engineer at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, easy to use, and offers good scalability
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "The support you get is dependant on the region. Some regions are better than others."

What is our primary use case?

We are using HPE for the virtualization. All machines are virtualized, and we are using them in the clusters. They are highly available and set up on the default ones as well. For the DMZ, we use regular rack servers. Those are separate clusters.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very easy to use.

We find the product to be very stable.

The scalability is great.

Technical support is okay.

What needs improvement?

These particular blades are no longer being produced. If they produced more or offered support for them I would be interested in getting more.

It would be ideal if they had been offered at a lower price point. If they bring them back, I'd buy them at a lower price point.

I have been here, in this company, for more than four years. We have been using the product since I have been here, so it's likely been more than five years that the company itself has used the product.

The stability of the product is very reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale well. It's not a problem if a company wants to expand it.

We have thousands of people that use it.

I've been in touch with technical support in the past. The level of service you receive depends on the region. We have two data centers, one in Frankfurt and one in Paris. When we were assigned to the Frankfurt team, they are okay, however, the local French team left us a bit unsatisfied.

Mainly we are using blade servers from different vendors. We have Cisco UCS, HPE blade servers, and Lenovo blade servers on the global team.

In previous companies, I used HPE and the Cisco blade servers as well - the Cisco UCS servers. In one other company, I used Dell servers as well.

It's my understanding that the initial setup is very straightforward and simple. However, I was not directly involved with the initial setup. It was two or three years ago.

I'm not sure exactly how long the deployment process takes.

We have five or six people on staff that can handle deployment and maintenance tasks. They are all engineers and one is a team leader.

The price of the product was a bit on the high side.

You do have to pay for the hardware and a yearly licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I'm a customer and an end-user.

I'd rate the solution at a nine out of ten. We've been very happy with its capabilities.

I would recommend it to others.

Ali Yazıcı - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Easy initial setup with good stability and simple troubleshooting
  • "The solution uses a smaller space in our data centers. It uses less feeder and network cable, which reduces costs."
  • "The response time in terms of getting technical support assistance could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for our SQL Server VMware virtualization. We put this on our on SQL Servers and VMware virtualization systems on this product.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution uses a smaller space in our data centers. It uses less feeder and network cable, which reduces costs. Troubleshooting is also easier than other options.

What is most valuable?

The solution saves us space and resources (like cables).

It's very easy to troubleshoot if we have issues.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

What needs improvement?

It's a bit expensive. They should work on bringing down the pricing if they can.

We have one older model, we've used for maybe six or seven years. We also have a new one, which is Synergy, we've used for two years.

The solution is stable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It's free of quirks and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The scalability is good. If a company needs to expand it out, they should be able to do so.

Our company has over 5,000 users on this solution.

We will continue to use the solution into the future.

The technical support is okay, I'd rate it seven out of ten overall. Their response times could be faster.

We didn't switch from a different solution. We had older models which we updated. We've always used HPE.

The initial implementation is not complex. It's a pretty straightforward process.

We deployed the solution over 100 servers, and it didn't take too long to deploy.

We have about ten to 20 people managing the solution.

We had a vendor assist us with the implementation.

I don't know the exact cost of licensing, however, it's my understanding that the solution is relatively expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're simply a customer. We don't have a business relationship with HPE.

I'm not sure which version of the solution we're using or if it's the latest.

I'd recommend the solution to other companies.

On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight. If the pricing was better and they offered better support, I would rate the solution higher.

Manager at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy to use, stable, and has scalable capabilities
  • "The solution is very easy to use."
  • "If the hardware offered higher efficiency, that would be an ideal situation for our company."

What is most valuable?

In my company, they tried to convert to hyper-converter due to the fact that the on-premise server is still a low demand. Some workloads we have moved to public CoW. We tried to reduce our footprint, our data center, to use only hyper-converged. It's good for that purpose.

The solution is very easy to use. It's not overly complex. I'd describe it as a user-friendly product.

The solution is stable. The performance is good.

The solution can scale to a certain extent.

What needs improvement?

It's an old-fashioned technology now.

I'm not sure precisely what should be improved. I can't recall any missing features.

I have ten years of experience with this solution. It's been about a decade. I've used it for quite a while.

The solution is very stable. We find it to be quite reliable. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is very good.

While the solution is pretty scalable, every company has its own context. Therefore, the scaling process might be different. In my future plans, for example, it's hard to reduce my footprint, as the workload has moved to CoW. Something that's based on-premise has limited parameters. That's why I'm trying to use the totally hyper-converged system.

I don't really have any direct experience with support from HPE, however, when they had the reports about the system, I would say the review was that they were okay. There have been no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of service, from what I can tell. I have heard nothing negative about the level of service.

I'm not an operations person. I can't speak to how easy or difficult it is to implement the solution. It's not an aspect I worried about or specifically had to deal with.

As I wasn't a part of the implementation process, I cannot speak to if there was any assistance with the process.

What other advice do I have?

We are simply a customer and an end-user. We don't have a professional relationship with HPE.

I'd rate the solution, on a scale from one to ten, at a nine. We've mostly been quite pleased with the product and its capabilities.

I would recommend the solution to other users, companies, and organizations.

Durga Ramesh - PeerSpot reviewer
Technical Project Manager at HCL Technologies
A good high-end option with helpful support and great reliability
  • "The scalability has been good."
  • "I'd like to see an all-in-one packet in the future."

What is most valuable?

I'm very happy with the product in general.

I'm an engineer in different environments, I have seen HPE frequently; HPE support packs, et cetera. In terms of the hardware versions update, it's giving me very good support compared to other products.

It is a stable product.

The scalability has been good.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see an all-in-one packet in the future. Some solutions don't come with storage.

During deployment, they're providing different places for the .EXE files and whatever it is downloading. It would sometimes mess up. This could be adjusted so that it's easier to deploy without issue.

I've used the solution for the past 15 years. It's been well over a decade now. I've used it for quite a while.

We are satisfied with the stability. There are no bugs or glitches and it doesn't crash or freeze.

The solution can scale. It is a bit limited, however.

The support has been very good and we are extremely satisfied with them.

Aside from some issues around .EXE files not downloading properly, the initial setup is pretty straightforward.

In terms of deployment times, each blade hardly takes one or two hours to set up. It might take one or two days in total based on the already gathered requirements and whatever the company made already.

You only need about two people to deploy and maintain the solution. Once it's deployed completely, likely you only need one person to maintain everything.

Vendors will come and they configure mostly hardware side. The remaining part, networking, et cetera, we configure, and everything is fine. Our clients mostly deployed it in-house. We come in to configure the WLANs and remaining stuff.

The licensing is paid on a yearly basis.

What other advice do I have?

I have recommended my clients to HPE. Rather than other companies, HPE would give good support, and I'm very happy with that. It is a good, high-end product.

I'm not completely an end-user. I'm like an administrator, in the server administration department.

The solution is more suited to the cloud in terms of deployment options.

I'd rate the solution a nine out of ten.