IT Central Station is now PeerSpot: Here's why
System Administration at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Meets all our needs, stays up and running, and gives us the confidence that the data is going to be securely transferred
  • "If I have a job that I need to run on the system and I want the data transferred, I can use GoAnywhere and schedule it on a daily basis, a weekly basis, or whatever, and it does the job for me to transfer the files over to the other systems, or back and forth."
  • "The process of adding a vendor is very easy. You just point and click. You create your job, schedule, and project, and off you go. You just need to know what the processes do when you add in a new job that runs daily and so on. For us, it is not a problem, but maybe the documentation on that could be a little more straightforward. We, however, have no problems figuring that out. It is pretty straightforward for us."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is basically to push data, SFTP, and FTP to other vendors offsite. So, it is all secured. We like it because of the security features in it. In terms of deployment, it is a local standalone system.

How has it helped my organization?

It centralized the exchange of data between systems, employees, customers, and trading partners. It is important to us because it is all secured and encrypted. It is a very well-known product for this type of thing, and we have confidence that the data is going to be securely transferred to the other site. Because we deal with finances and stuff like that, we have to make sure it is secure. It eliminates the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers, but we do have some scripts. For the most part, it meets what we need to do, and we don't have to interfere with any scripting or anything like that. A lot of it is basically pointing, clicking, and putting in your information, and off you go. Its workflow features helped us to eliminate manual processes. We do the same thing every day. We have things set up in the schedulers, and it automatically does them. If there are any issues, we get a report and look into it to see what was the issue. Usually, it is because the line is disconnected, the other system is down, or we have a problem with our network.  The automation of file transfers has helped us to reduce workload in our organization. We've all been using it, so for us, the reduction has always been there, and it has always been the same. If we had to do it manually, it would take a lot longer.

What is most valuable?

If I have a job that I need to run on the system and I want the data transferred, I can use GoAnywhere and schedule it on a daily basis, a weekly basis, or whatever, and it does the job for me to transfer the files over to the other systems, or back and forth. It stays up and running. If there is an error with a job, it provides us reports. It is easy to understand. It is very comprehensive in terms of workflow features. It gives us a lot of options and is also easy to implement. It meets all our needs. We've always been using it, so all we know is GoAnywhere. For the AS/400 system, GoAnywhere is perfect.

What needs improvement?

The process of adding a vendor is very easy. You just point and click. You create your job, schedule, and project, and off you go. You just need to know what the processes do when you add in a new job that runs daily and so on. For us, it is not a problem, but maybe the documentation on that could be a little more straightforward. We, however, have no problems figuring that out. It is pretty straightforward for us. In terms of features, it is perfect for the way we use it. They just need to keep up with the security stuff, and that's about it. They should make sure that GoAnywhere or HelpSystems stays on top of security, and they're dealing with all the necessary issues that come up on a daily basis on the internet with the security. Other than that, all our needs are being met. The way it is right now, it is perfect for us. We have no other needs for it. We're definitely not asking HelpSystems for any improvements. So, we're fine and satisfied with it.
HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT
June 2022
Learn what your peers think about HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2022.
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It has been here well before my time. It has been more than 10 years.

Its stability is perfect and excellent. It doesn't go down. I don't think we've made any calls for support on this product all year. So, it is perfect for us.

It doesn't matter. For our purposes, it is just fine the way it is. We've got nowhere to scale it to or scale it down.  In terms of the number of users, I'm the administrator, and all we do is run jobs. There are basically maybe 40 vendors that we SFTP or FTP to and that's it, but individuals don't use it. We added another vendor just the other day, and the process of adding a vendor is very easy for us. So, as new vendors come on board, its usage increases, but there is a very slow addition to this. It is just not a super-growing area for us.

Their support is great. They've always been there whenever we had any issues. They always provided a prompt courier service. They were very professional and patient, and there were no issues. I would rate them a 10 out of 10.

All of us here have always worked with GoAnywhere, and it has worked well. We haven't had the need to go out and source another solution. So, we just leave it. Usually, on other systems I have worked with, I do things myself with just FTP scripts and stuff like that, but on this system, we have to have something like this. It has got to be controlled because of the sensitivity of the data. So, I haven't had any other product knowledge. It has been working fine, so we just leave it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I joined this company after the implementation of this solution.

For the money we make using this, it is well priced. Without it, we would be in trouble. If something broke and we couldn't get that data through, we're going to be losing a lot of money. So, I guess the return on investment is always great because the data is getting out. It is not that we make money per data that we send out. It is just that the data that goes out is very critical to the revenue stream.

I get the invoices, and its price is fine and appropriate. It is well priced. Even if it was double the price, we'd use it. For us, it is indispensable. We're not going to go anywhere else. There are no additional costs. Its licensing is good. There is just one charge that we get. That's it.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise others to go for it. It is a great product. If there are any issues, the support is there, and they're very helpful and right on the case. I would rate HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT a 10 out of 10.

Managed File transfer (MFT) Administrator at a non-profit with 5,001-10,000 employees
Centralizes file transfer management, saves us time, good reporting, and helps secure our data
  • "The SFTP and encryption functionality works well, and SFTP is the bulk of what we use."
  • "The security and vendor management features are helpful in terms of providing access to data."
  • "The support desk has room for improvement. I keep opening tickets and they keep telling me that they're closed, but they're not resolved."

What is our primary use case?

We are in the healthcare industry and we use GoAnywhere for file transfers in our finance, HR, clinical and logistical processes

How has it helped my organization?

GoAnywhere has helped improve our organization through the centralization of file transfer management, as well as standards enforcement. The error reporting and file auditing capabilities make troubleshooting problems and issues a fairly straightforward process.

GoAnywhere is the perfect tool to help centralize the exchange of data between systems, employees, customers, and trading partners. This is of critical importance to us because in previous implementations, where we've had trouble connecting with our partners and vendors and such, from a troubleshooting perspective it could take a day to solve an issue, but using the GoAnywhere tools & capabilities, we can address  most issues in minutes, instead of hours.

The user interface is intuitive, although someone who's not familiar with coding may have a little bit more of a challenge with it. I have a background in programming and infrastructure, and I found that it was logical & well designed.

The comprehensiveness of GoAnywhere's workflow features is fantastic.

The workflow features almost completely eliminate the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers. I would estimate that we have cut out custom scripts by about 95%. For the remaining 5%, we use the OS integration feature to allow us to interface with a given system and run OS native commands/scripts/operations from within GoAnywhere.

The elimination of custom scripts for every transfer was an important and valuable step for the organization from an operations, maintenance & support perspective.  We can build out a Managed File Transfer process in GoAnywhere with none of the hassles and headaches associated with scripts in an hour vs. custom scripting processes that would take significantly longer to develop and deploy.  we are doing the same work that existed prior to implementing GoAnywhere, but now the processes are faster, simpler, more supportable and secure.  With GoAnywhere, we are able to service our customers much faster and in a much more dependable, consistent and reliable manner.

The automation of file transfers has helped to reduce our workload for file transfers, freeing us up to focus more on the business requirements. For example, in the past, my customers would come to me with, "Hey. I can't find my files, they haven't been downloaded today."  With GoAnywhere we are able to give them a notification via email processes we build into our GoAnywhere jobs, allowing them to see the status of their respective file transfers.

Within the specific context of an organization-wide project, we managed to accomplish MFT request turnaround in a few days where previously, it may day weeks with our previous toolset.

What is most valuable?

I find the entire solution to be useful for what I do.

Specifically, the encryption & certificate functions, the ability to reuse a defined resource (SFTP server/Network share, e.g.) across multiple transfers and the granularity of the audit logs functionality is a solid tool for troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

Customer service is an area in need of improvement.

We have been using HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT since the spring of 2018.

Since we implemented GoAnywhere in the spring of 2018, there has been one bug that has caused us any issues. It was readily addressed by contacting the help desk.

Overall, stability has been rock solid.

I transfer tens of thousands of files per week and scalability is not a problem. I honestly think I would have difficulty scaling GoAnywhere to a point where a point where I would be concerned.

The users we have are GoAnywhere admins and they build managed file transfers. There aren't any functionalities that our customer community has access to.

At this point, more than 70% of our Managed File Transfer processes are utilizing GoAnywhere. The goal, although it may never be fully attained, is to get the rest of those outliers doing file transfers through the secure and dependable enterprise-grade system that is GoAnywhere.

In 2018, 2019, I would have rated the support a ten out of ten. As previously expressed, I would now give them a four.

How would you rate customer service and technical support?

Neutral

Prior to GoAnywhere, we used native operating system shell scripts and, worse, daily human processes.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. Their installation methodologies and their architectural configuration are pretty much laid out for you in their marketing documentation. From an implementation perspective, everything is there for you.

The installation took a couple of hours but from that point, it took probably two weeks before it was in functional production.   The strength of GoAnywhere is in the vary rich toolset.  Unfortunately, that also means that there can be a learning curve as one starts to implement it into Production.

I was the implementer of this product and I didn't require the help of a third party. Any issues or concerns I had during the implementation phase were readily addressed by the vendors (then) support staff.  At the time, they were very good at answering quickly and responding to the implementation issues that I encountered.  At the present time, I would suspect that the support is not to the level it was when we implemented GoAnywhere in 2018.

For the first three years, our GoANywhere implementation was really a one-man band in terms of managing the system, including implementing functionality.  As we have grown i to the systm a second administrator has beendrafted into the MFT Team.

For what we pay to GoAnywhere every year, we are getting a fantastic deal. From a dollar perspective, it provides very good value.

We reviewed three other products prior to implementing GoAnywhere. One that I recall is MOVEit, which was an Ipswitch product at the time.

The user interface that MOVEit had was abysmal. In contrast, the user interface that GoAnywhere has is intuitive and although it obviously depends on each individual user, overall, it's great. The ability to employ the functions and build out what needs to be built out is not a difficult process. It can be complex in some instances, but it's not difficult.

What other advice do I have?

We are not running the latest version; however, it is only because we are too busy with other things at the moment.

For me, this solution is fantastic. I'm able to solve a lot of problems for my organization by using the whole collection of features in GoAnywhere.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT
June 2022
610,518 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Prashant Fauzdar - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Solution Lead at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Enables us to develop template workflows and call them from other workflows, saving development time
  • "The most valuable feature is the ability to call a workflow from another workflow. That really gives you an edge by increasing reusability and speeding up development time. You can create a workflow which is a type of template and then call that workflow from any other workflow... It has sped up development time by 80 to 90 percent."
  • "There are a number of built-in tasks in GoAnywhere. One, in particular, the write to CSV task, is slow. If you have, say, 100,000 records in your row set and you want to write them to a CSV file, it takes a long time. That definitely requires performance improvement."

What is our primary use case?

We are mostly using it for ETL-related workloads. In our organization we have a lot of different systems that need to talk to each other. Files have to be transferred from one system to another. We use GoAnywhere to automate the file transfer processes, whether it involves an SFTP system or a Windows network shared drive.

We also use it for data translation and data load, when we want to extract the data from a database system and create a CSV file and send it to a downstream system.

And we have recently started using Cloud Connectors for things like Microsoft Azure Data Lake and blob storage. Most organizations are moving to the cloud and we have a lot of cloud-related integrations now coming into the picture. GoAnywhere MFT helps to accomplish them.

How has it helped my organization?

With the automation you don't have to worry about doing anything manually. You create a workflow and schedule it. You have various options to schedule your workflow daily, or at a certain date and time, and a repeat frequency. If you have complex scheduling requirements, those can also be done.

The very quick development time is another benefit.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to call a workflow from another workflow. That really gives you an edge by increasing reusability and speeding up development time. You can create a workflow which is a type of template and then call that workflow from any other workflow. That's really helpful for us. It has sped up development time by 80 to 90 percent. All you have to do is pass the parameters from the caller and everything is done by your template.

And after using it for some time and you become very comfortable with the syntax, if you want to quickly develop something you can directly edit the XML. It creates XML for all the workflows and you can directly import and edit them. That also helps with the speed of the development.

The solution is very intuitive because all the help is built-in. When you go to Help there is a developer guide there. You can search any library or function. Also, the tooltips are helpful. You can click on any label and it shows a tooltip that describes what it does. It also provides integrated development, meaning all the development can be done in the GoAnywhere portal itself, from a browser. You don't need any additional tools or an IDE. It's very user-friendly and developer-friendly.

GoAnywhere also has a very good log through which you can track any issues.

In addition, the workflow features are able to fulfill the requirements most of the time. Only certain, very rare scenarios are not covered. But GoAnywhere also provides a custom task feature. Apart from all the built-in tasks, if your workflow demands a special task, and you have the expertise, you can create a custom task. That's a good advantage.

What needs improvement?

They need to increase the number of Cloud Connectors and speed up their development of them.

Also, there are a number of built-in tasks in GoAnywhere. One, in particular, the write to CSV task, is slow. If you have, say, 100,000 records in your row set and you want to write them to a CSV file, it takes a long time. That definitely requires performance improvement.

I have been using HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT for more than eight years.

The solution is very stable. In all the time I've been using it, I haven't seen any deficiencies in terms of workflows or behaviors.

Any memory issues happen because of poor workflow design. Otherwise, It's very stable.

We have gone from 40 or 50 workflows to more than 600 workflows now. But we have only slightly increased the memory footprint of the server on which GoAnywhere is installed. We haven't seen any issues. The solution is scalable.

We have around 70 to 80 users of GoAnywhere and, at any point in time, some 10 to 20 active users. Among our 600-plus workflows, there are some running every hour or every minute or daily. On average, they transfer 100,000 files per day.

We have four environments: dev, test, QA, and production. Dev/sandbox is a single environment, while Test, QA, and Production are clustered. We have two nodes for high-availability.

Within our company there is still a lot of demand for GoAnywhere. We are going to increase our use of it by 10 to 20 percent per year.

Their technical support is good. Responses are not really instantaneous, but they respond within their SLA. They could improve their response time.

How would you rate customer service and support?

Neutral

It's a great value in terms of our overall satisfaction. It helps automate all our processes and reduces development time, so we don't have to invest much in developing. We haven't really seen any issues using it in all this time, or challenges in terms of operations. Overall, it brings us great value.

Because every new development request requires a certain amount of effort, new development in GoAnywhere is really fast thanks to the template workflow and being able to call another workflow. It helps reduce development costs and that's a great value.

The licensing is very organization-friendly. It's a one-time license, not a monthly or recurring model. Compared to other tools it's less expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If your overall requirements are related to ETL and sending files to different systems, and you want to automate these kinds of daily processes, then GoAnywhere would be the best fit. It's one of the best solutions. It's lightweight and doesn't need heavy servers or big hardware to run, and it's very scalable. All these features really add to the GoAnywhere solution.

Overall, the solution is a nine out of 10. The ease of use is definitely 9.5 and the performance is a nine. But in terms of catching up with all the new standards, it's a little behind it. On that, I would give it an eight. It doesn't have connectors to various new systems. For development, it's a 9.5.

Data Backup and Recovery Admin at Albert Einstein Healthcare Network
Easy to use, saves us time, has built-in compression and encryption, and the technical support is good
  • "The most valuable feature is the Advanced Workflows."
  • "If the hostname has a dash in it then it does not work."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is file transfer between trading partners and internally to different applications on Windows, Linux, AIX, and iSeries machines.

We are running on Windows.

How has it helped my organization?

In the past, scripts were written in Windows batch files and it was taking lots of time. With GoAnywhere, it is simpler and has more functionality.

The scripts can be written very quickly. With GoAnywhere advanced workflow, I was able to expand the scripting to include more features like emailing the log. I was able to send emails to the business unit that included what file was transferred and at what time.

Our old system used to take five minutes to transfer over 10MB of data. With GoAnywhere, it takes a few seconds. Now I can perform and schedule more FTPs than before and it takes fewer system resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the Advanced Workflows. It is useful for an open VMS system. With DOS-style batch files, it was long and difficult. With GoAnywhere, however, it was very easy.

With the Advanced Workflows, I can manipulate the date and send the file with an old date to the host. This is a great feature.

It has built-in zip compression as well as encryption features and we do not have to buy additional licenses for this functionality.

I also like the IP Filter list. It can protect the system from outside attacks using Banned IP addresses. It has very good security features.

With Web users, I can use the IP filter. It can be done with each user.

GoAnywhere integrates well with other products.

It sends an email alert if the process fails.

What needs improvement?

I think that this product has most of the features we require, although the license is expensive.

DNS support needs attention. If the hostname has a dash in it then it does not work. Without a dash being included, it works fine. This is something that needs to updated in the next release.

The shared mailbox support for OWA in the cloud needs to be improved. The shared mailbox does not have a password, and we cannot use it. If there is a password for it then it works well.

if you have host name with example aaa-fgju than in web user ip filter list the name aaa-fgju will not work. If you have host name fghhg1 then it will work. The agent is good feature but license is bit expensive.

I have been using GoAnywhere MFT for more than six years.

It is very stable. We never experience downtime, exept during upgrades.

Scalability is very good. I saw only this level with high availability solutions.

Technical support is excellent. They are always willing to help and want to resolve the issue ASAP.

Prior to GoAnywhere, we used FTP Serv-U and FTP Voyager. FTP Voyager is a free product but the functionality is very limited. It was not able to meet our business requirements. As technology changes, FTP Voyager does not have good features for new technology.

It also has high CPU utilization because it was written for workstation OS. The interface for FTP Voyager was simple but very functionality-wise, it was too basic. There were lots of restrictions while using it.

Everything was written manually. Lots of the time, we were not able to justify business needs with FTP Voyager. We needed a product that serves our business needs and found that GoAnywhere was the perfect one for us.

The initial setup was simple. It took only one hour to set up the product.

The product was implemented in-house.

It saves lots of time in terms of administration. With is product, I can perform other duties and it requires less intervention on a daily basis.

Licensing can be expensive and it depends upon which features you want to buy. If the license were cheaper then we would buy more features.

I have used other vendors and found that GoAnywhere was the winner in terms of price and our business requirements. In our case, it meets all of the business requirements.

What other advice do I have?

This suitability of this product depends on business requirements.

For anybody who is implementing this product, I would suggest taking some time to learn Advanced Workflows because it is complex.

Bill Dougherty - PeerSpot reviewer
CISO at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Centralizes the exchange of data among systems, employees, and customers in a secure manner
  • "We like that GoAnywhere helps to centralize the exchange of data among our systems, employees, and customers."
  • "At present, HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT integrates with an antivirus solution, but it's a bit kludgy."

What is our primary use case?

We are a healthcare company, and large employers and health plans will hire us to provide our services to their employees and members. They then have to send us files as to who their employees are, and we have to process them under the guidance of HIPAA. GoAnywhere is our file transfer platform for securely sharing health information.

How has it helped my organization?

The workflow features eliminate the need for custom programs and scripts for file transfers. The impact has been huge and has saved us many months of engineering time. GoAnywhere's workflow features have helped us eliminate manual processes and have streamlined our operations and made them more secure and repeatable.

We have been able to eliminate single-function tools or unsecured file transfer methods like email-based file transfers. Before switching to GoAnywhere, we had a lot of files being sent to us over email.

GoAnywhere has enabled us to allocate staff toward other work and has freed up engineering talent to focus on more important problems. We have been able to reduce the workload as well.

What is most valuable?

We like that GoAnywhere helps to centralize the exchange of data among our systems, employees, and customers. We wanted something that was scalable and secure and had a nice API, so we could automate the creation of new accounts and new directories and build a workflow around it. Every time we sign up a new customer, we can automatically create a setup for them. Some customers use a username and password, and others use a pre-shared key. We can build the workflow so that when we receive a new file, it alerts our application servers to go pick it up and process it. It is our one and only method by which we exchange data with our largest customers.

The user interface is highly intuitive; we got it set up and running within a matter of days. It is useful when support staff are trying to troubleshoot issues.

The comprehensiveness of GoAnywhere's workflow features is very high, and it has met all of our needs.

What needs improvement?

At present, HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT integrates with an antivirus solution, but it's a bit kludgy. It would be nice if the antivirus were built into the product so that it doesn't require integration.

We've been using it for four and a half years.

It's been very stable, and we have never had issues. It's stable enough that we give our customers a service level on the service that we provide with this solution.

For what we do, it scales perfectly. We haven't had any issues.

We use it for two or three different use cases, and it gets used every single day. It's mission-critical to us.

We're not adding any new use cases to it at present, but our use of it will grow as we assign new customers.

I haven't personally contacted technical support, but as far as I know, we've had no issues with it.

We previously used a homegrown solution and switched because we wanted something that would scale and that wouldn't require customization every time we signed up a new customer.

The initial setup was very straightforward and fast. We had it going and were using it within a matter of days.

The part-time effort of one engineer is required for maintenance of the solution.

We implemented it ourselves.

As for ROI, it probably paid for itself in the first two months. The license cost for the first year was roughly equivalent to two months of an engineer's salary. By freeing up engineers from creating customized solutions, it paid for itself immediately.

HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT is very reasonably priced for the value it brings.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure that you fully spec out your environment and include all the servers, clusters, and features you're going to need before you worry about the price.

If you are dependent on file transfers for your business, there isn't a better solution. Don't waste your time trying to evaluate other solutions. I would highly recommend GoAnywhere and would rate it at ten on a scale from one to ten.

Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Gives us trouble-free SFTP and HTTPS transfers and high availability
  • "If it's dealing with SFTP or any kind of secure transfer, we don't hear about it. It's good. Everything works."
  • "When we restart the agent on each server, it tries to go out to the internet and it takes about a 13-minute timeout before it can move forward. Why is there a 13-minute timeout value when trying to go to the internet? ...If they could limit that timeout or give us a way to modify it so we could have a faster timeout, that would help us at least knock out a half-hour's worth of outage."

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for SFTP and HTTPS.

How has it helped my organization?

We went from a single client to a clustered environment and that's nice for maintenance work. The thing that has improved is the high-availability.

What is most valuable?

We basically use the SFTP and HTTPS for transferring files. If it's dealing with SFTP or any kind of secure transfer, we don't hear about it. It's good. Everything works.

Also, for importing information and exporting it, it's not too bad.

What needs improvement?

We have it implemented on-prem only. That's one of the issues we have. When we restart the agent on each server, it tries to go out to the internet and it takes about a 13-minute timeout before it can move forward. Why is there a 13-minute timeout value when trying to go to the internet? Shouldn't it be a minute or so? We weren't sure why it was taking that long, and then we noticed that it took almost exactly 13 minutes, every single time. We looked into it and we found out that it could be a timeout value. They checked with their developers and they said, "Yeah, it looks like it is a timeout value." We have worked with a support engineer and they definitely know about it, but so far there is no fix.

In addition, when you log in through the GUI, it always fails the first time and says that your time expired, and it makes you log in twice. Supposedly it's a bug. If they could fix that, that would be awesome.

Also, in some areas it could be more user-friendly, when it comes to adding certificates and or keys for access.

The organization I'm working for has been using HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT for at least a couple of years,  but we just implemented our new cluster environment in February or March, about seven or eight months ago.

So far, the stability has been good.

The only thing I have noticed is that if you take it down hard, sometimes the startup can get corrupted. So you have to make sure you shut down that application. We had an issue where it lost the NFS mounts for a couple hours. When we tried to bring it back up, it wouldn't recognize where it was at and we had to call support. But most of the time, you don't want to take anything down hard.

Other than that, it seems to be pretty stable.

The support is really good, but the ticket system is not that good.

When you open the ticket, that's the only time you can see what is in the ticket. Support engineers can see it, but if you're a customer and you want to update your ticket or look at the ticket that you created, you can't access it. I think they know about that, but I don't know if they've done anything about it lately. It's one thing I can't stand. If you go to other vendors and you open a ticket, you can actually go into the ticket and update it. You can't do that with GoAnywhere's ticketing system.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend GoAnywhere, depending on how much it costs. I'm not involved with the cost side of things. For the most part, you can access it from the internet into the web servers, or you can have it only localized. So I would recommend it.

We have three or four admin people who can help maintain it, but that's only in case one of the people isn't available.

Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Allows us to connect internal applications and external web services and has good speed, security, and stability
  • "Its speed is the most valuable because every integration used to take months with old SOA tools, integration buses, and that type of stuff. Now, we do integrations in a matter of days. Security is another valuable thing because every step in the workflow has an audit trace, which is great. This also brings a lot of confidence in automating business process workflows through this type of solution."
  • "Its user interface can be improved. The current user interface is a little basic for some of the use cases. We have to use an external component to enhance it. When we need a more appealing user interface, we use an additional component, and that works okay."

What is our primary use case?

We are a partner of HelpSystems. They have a branch office in Argentina for all Latin American countries, and we work with them.

We use this solution to connect internet applications that traditionally are isolated. Instead of trying to build very costly interfaces or things like that, we send information from one app to the other app in the easiest but the most secure way possible. We just use MFT, and it does the work for us, but recently, we are being asked to connect not just internal applications but also external web services for government or other regulatory companies. With this type of solution, we are able to integrate not just the internal apps but also the external services. This is pretty much what we do with this solution.

What is most valuable?

Its speed is the most valuable because every integration used to take months with old SOA tools, integration buses, and that type of stuff. Now, we do integrations in a matter of days.

Security is another valuable thing because every step in the workflow has an audit trace, which is great. This also brings a lot of confidence in automating business process workflows through this type of solution.

What needs improvement?

Its user interface can be improved. The current user interface is a little basic for some of the use cases. We have to use an external component to enhance it. When we need a more appealing user interface, we use an additional component, and that works okay.

I have been using this solution for around four years.

Its stability is very high because it is installed in a cluster. When used this way, it is pretty stable. It uses a lot of cluster implementation, and the business processes start to be very critical.

Scalability is associated with the hardware. This solution is based on Java technology, so it is able to scale both vertically and horizontally. It has good scalability.

At this time, we've got two nodes. If we need more, we can add more components. We are not a very big company. So, at this time, it is not an issue for us. If we grow or have more integrations, we would need the scalability there, and I am not afraid of that.

This tool is used to automate processes. It doesn't handle end users. We are automating about 10 to 20 business processes that affect different kinds of users. About 100 to 150 users get to benefit from those automations. They are not necessarily direct users of this solution.

We receive direct support from HelpSystems. Their support is good. I would rate them a nine out of ten. A few cases were handled by the regional team. For a few cases, we received support from their first-level team.

The initial setup was easy. The provider has a lot of knowledge, which made it easy. The deployment is an ongoing process. The initial installation took about one month or so, and the training and being skilled took maybe one or two months more. Since then, the need for automation and newer workflows is there all the time.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution, but of course, you need to have the knowledge to be able to automate very quickly.

I would rate HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT a nine out of ten.

IT consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
This is a feature-packed solution that is highly recommended
  • "This is a very good product for managing file transfers."
  • "The product could be improved by being modular. There are more features in the core product than any client needs."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for GoAnywhere MFT (Managed File Transfer) is to provide control for file transfers.

What needs improvement?

Until now, I think the solution very good for me and my clients. If I had to name one thing that I think should be improved, I think it is that there are quite a lot of features and we do not use all of them. So a thing that could be done to improve this situation is maybe for HelpSystems to offer a lite version that also costs a bit less.

It has only been a couple of weeks now that we have rolled out the product in our company. We did the product selection a few months ago and then we started on a test license. I would guess we have been using it as a company for about four weeks.

From our experience up until now, I think the product is both stable and scalable.

We currently have somewhere between a minimum of five and a maximum of ten users. We may be expanding that in the future, but not in the coming year or so. We do plan to continue to use the product.

For the most part, we have been in a test evaluation phase and we have not needed to use the technical support until now.

This is actually the first product of this type that I am using.

I think that GoAnywhere is moderately complex as far as the initial setup. It is quite manageable for our experienced IT employees. We deploy it just by using people who are in our software development team. There is a consultant assigned to our team who could help us if we wanted to use their services, but until now it has gone quite well and we have not had to engage that level of support. We can ask for support if we want it. We just have not had to up until now.

The cost of the product is a one-time licensing.

I think it is a bit cheaper than Axway MFT (part of the AMPLIFY platform), but not by much. It could be cheaper if a few of the features that we are not using — and that most of our customers do not use — could be left out.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend this product for other users who wants to start using it, and we do recommend it all the time.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as an eight-out-of-ten. To improve it in order to rate it higher, it would have to be cheaper. To accomplish that HelpSystems could consider reorganizing the product in a more modular way. In that way, we could just make the solution fit to particular needs and pay for what is used. For most situations, we just need a few small modules instead of the entire solution in one big chunk.

Microsoft Azure
Download our free HelpSystems GoAnywhere MFT Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: June 2022
Product Categories
Managed File Transfer (MFT)