Database Engineer at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
Our databases have never been affected by an outage, but it could use some better migration and backup tools
  • "I haven't had any trouble setting up Google Cloud."
  • "Google Cloud lacks some tools for database migration. I've only used MySQL and AWS in my career, so those are the only ones I can compare. AWS has a database migration tool that you can integrate with a cloud backup, so can take that backup and restore it in the AWS public cloud, but it's not the same with Google Cloud."

What is our primary use case?

We're using Google Cloud as infrastructure for hosting MySQL, but don't use Google's Database as a Service. We manage our database ourselves.

What needs improvement?

Google Cloud lacks some tools for database migration. I've only used MySQL and AWS in my career, so those are the only ones I can compare. AWS has a database migration tool that you can integrate with a cloud backup, so can take that backup and restore it in the AWS public cloud, but it's not the same with Google Cloud. We have to use a utility called mysqldump, which takes a long time to restore. That's a big shortcoming of Google Cloud. I don't know why they haven't thought of it.

I've been using Google Cloud Platform for about a year.

We weren't affected during the last major Google Cloud outage. We weren't in the availability zone that was affected. We haven't used it like Infrastructure as a Service. It doesn't provide you a lot unless all your services are in that particular cloud.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
November 2022
Find out what your peers are saying about Google, Alibaba, Linode and others in Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS). Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

I've used all three major public cloud platforms that offer infrastructure as a service. It's hard to compare. If you're a bigger enterprise, it's better to use multiple public clouds so that you are not putting all your eggs in one basket.

For example, you might have an outage in Google Cloud but not in Azure or vice versa. It's the same for AWS. I can't say it won't ever happen, but all three major public clouds haven't gone down at the same time.

I haven't had any trouble setting up Google Cloud.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Google Cloud seven out of 10.

NASSER ALY - PeerSpot reviewer
Computer Chief Specialist Engineer at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
User-friendly, overall performs well, and accessible anywhere
  • "Google Cloud is easy to use and accessible anywhere."
  • "Microsoft's solution is more common, Google Cloud could improve by being more compatible with different platforms or entities."

What is our primary use case?

Google Cloud can be used to share files with no need to carry them with you since it is on the cloud. You can access it anywhere if you are traveling or if you have important documents.

What is most valuable?

Google Cloud is easy to use and accessible anywhere.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft's solution is more common, Google Cloud could improve by being more compatible with different platforms or entities.

I have been using Google Cloud for a few years.

The solution is straightforward and since I am a professional, there is no need for any support.

I have used Microsoft's solution and they have more users using it than Google Cloud.

Google Cloud has no installation since it is on the cloud.

Google Cloud should be divided into modules so that users can buy which module will satisfy them. The overall price of Google Cloud should be reduced, Microsoft is a little bit cheaper. However, if Google divided the cloud offering it would be better. For example, if someone wants to use only for OneDrive they should be able to purchase the service separately, it would reduce the price. There is a license required to use this solution for enterprises.

There is a free account, which the users can increase the size of the space. Google cloud is used in most Android Mobile device operating systems.

What other advice do I have?

I have always said that Google Cloud is better than Microsoft, but the common solution is Microsoft and with some of the compatibility issues with Google Cloud, we typically choose Microsoft.

I rate Google Cloud a nine out of ten.

Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS)
November 2022
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sr SAP PP Consultant at HCL Technologies
Excellent customer support, with state of the art features, and extremely scalable
  • "The stability is good with Google Cloud."
  • "Current technologies keep on changing, so definitely those new changes need to be incorporated quickly. The competition is always out there to be one step ahead. How those open-source platforms can be easily integrated into the cloud, is going to be the key in the future."

What is most valuable?

When looking at CI/CD, and Kubernetes they are very good. In the new areas of CI/CD, and DevOps, those tools are actually good, in terms of utilization.

What needs improvement?

Current technologies keep on changing, so definitely those new changes need to be incorporated quickly. The competition is always out there to be one step ahead. How those open-source platforms can be easily integrated into the cloud, is going to be the key in the future.

I have been using Googe Cloud now for three to four years.

The stability is good with Google Cloud.

Google cloud is scalable. We have more than two hundred working on the solution.

We are actually using other products also of the cloud like AWS and Azure. Compared to that, it is going very well and most of the customers now actually use Google Cloud. If you talk about security, it is actually the integration with LDAP. When moving the organization's data it is important to manage that same LDAP, authentication, and usage of connecting the Google public cloud to the private infrastructure. Those items are actually much better in Google Cloud.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward.

When you have professional individuals work with the deployment it takes roughly three to four hours for installation.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Good Cloud a nine out of ten.

JuanGonzalez5 - PeerSpot reviewer
Cloud Services Consultant at Evolutio
Relatively inexpensive and with good governance but it could be lighter
  • "The solution can scale as well."
  • "The Spanish version is in beta. It needs to be farther along."

What is our primary use case?

I typically use the solution for creating infrastructure.

What is most valuable?

The governance feature is very good.

There are several functions the cloud has, which are quite useful.

The virtual machines are very big. It isn't small, like Azure or AWS.

It's relatively inexpensive.

The stability is okay.

The solution can scale as well.

What needs improvement?

The Spanish version is in beta. It needs to be farther along.

We'd like the solution to be smaller and lighter. It could be simpler.

We'd like for some better integration from TerraForm.

The solution has okay stability, however, that said, it has a way to go before it keeps up to something like Azure. Even AWS is more stable.

The solution, as far as I can tell, is quite scalable.

I also work with AWS and Azure. I find the stability okay with Google, and it is quite sizeable. However, AWS and Azure are more stable and lighter.

The pricing is very good. We're happy with it for the most part.

It was cheap. I'd rate it a four out of five in terms of being affordable. They are very competitive with other clouds.

What other advice do I have?

We're a consulting company and use the infrastructure created by the cloud itself.

I would rate the solution a seven out of ten.

Chief Information Security Officer at a government with 10,001+ employees
Cloud infrastructure solution that reduces capital expenditure and offers stability and scalability
  • "It eliminates capital expenditures and subsequent MNO that we would use to spend on on-prem architectures. That money is funneled towards security and connectivity provisioning."
  • "An area of improvement would be in the of managing accounts in terms of what we are using for memory, availability, and monitoring."

How has it helped my organization?

The value for us is the infrastructure as we don't have to host or worry about upgrades. It eliminates capital expenditures and subsequent MNO that we would use to spend on on-prem architectures. That money is funneled towards security and connectivity provisioning. This is a better way of spending money and trying to keep up with the cloud-forward strategy that we have in Oregon.

What needs improvement?

An area of improvement would be in the of managing accounts in terms of what we are using for memory, availability, and monitoring. We want to monitor our SaaS deployment within Google to give our SOC a good idea of what's going on.

We have been using this solution for a couple of years.

This is a stable solution.

This is a scalable solution.

This solution is worth the money we are paying. I would rate the pricing a three out of five.

What other advice do I have?

From a maintenance perspective, we have cloud architects who are working on what data can go where and what infrastructure we require from the cloud service providers. This is a team of ten.

I would advise others considering this solution to always plan and have a good blocking service before moving anything to the cloud. It is important to complete an evaluation of sing the solution long term and to take cost provisioning, availability of services, cyber security, credibility and compliance into consideration.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Abdulla Pathan - PeerSpot reviewer
Technology Competency and Solution Head at LearningMate
Easy to learn, stable, and auto-scalable
  • "It is stable. It is easy to learn and very straightforward."
  • "They need to improve the costing for predictive analytics, which is mainly related to the tools that come with AI. They also need to improve the BigQuery cost optimization and the visualization."

What is our primary use case?

We build solutions based on the Google platform. We don't create solutions for ourselves. We create them for our customers.

We are using it specifically for our machine learning and data analytics. We are building our data solutions by using Google Cloud services. We are building the analytics dashboards and coming out with predictive analytics for education.

What is most valuable?

It is stable. It is easy to learn and very straightforward.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the costing for predictive analytics, which is mainly related to the tools that come with AI. They also need to improve the BigQuery cost optimization and the visualization.

Their support could be faster.

I have been using this solution for the last one year.

It is stable.

It is auto-scalable. We have around 30 to 40 associates on this.

At the moment, we have around three customers who are using this particular product.

Their tech support is not so great. It takes more than 48 hours to get a response from the Google team. Their support could be faster.

It is a cloud-based solution, so there is no installation.

It has a monthly subscription. The customers pay based on the usage.

What other advice do I have?

We are getting into a partnership with Google very soon. Almost our whole organization will be a Google partner. We recommend Google for every educational institution.

I would rate Google Cloud a nine out of 10.

Andrew Wandera - PeerSpot reviewer
Legal Associate at Amber Solicitors and Advocates
Reliable with good performance and virtually no setup process

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution as the server for some of the applications I use.

What is most valuable?

The performance and stability are quite good.

The product scales well.

What needs improvement?

I don't have any problems using the solution. It's been problem-free for the most part.

The product could always be a little bit less expensive.

I've used the solution for a year or just over a year or so now.

The solution is very stable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I've had no issues with scaling the product. It expands well.

We have a team of 20 to 25 that use the product.

While I've never had to reach out to Google for assistance personally, it's my understanding that they are helpful. We haven't had any problems with them.

There isn't really an installation or setup process as it is a cloud.

You do need to pay a licensing fee in order to use the solution. However, I can't speak about the exact pricing.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution to other potential users.

I'd rate the product an eight out of ten. I've been mostly satisfied with the services so far.

Big Data Architect at a computer software company with 1-10 employees
A user-friendly fully managed cloud computing solution
  • "The most useful feature of Google Cloud is that it's basically completely managed or fully managed. There is no administration or maintenance needed from the user, and it's very simple to use."
  • "Workload management could be better. Their pricing could also be more flexible."

What is our primary use case?

We use Google Cloud as a data warehouse. We build modern data warehouses on the cloud mainly for reporting and business analytics needs.

What is most valuable?

The most useful feature of Google Cloud is that it's basically completely managed or fully managed. There is no administration or maintenance needed from the user, and it's very simple to use.

What needs improvement?

Workload management could be better. Their pricing could also be more flexible.

I've been using Google Cloud for about two and a half years.

Google Cloud is pretty stable.

Google Cloud is highly scalable.

Technical support is good.

As it's a fully managed serverless service, there is no setup needed.

It's not really an expensive solution, but it would be better if there were more flexibility in the pricing model.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise potential users to first try it out and see whether the pricing model meets their requirements.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Google Cloud an eight.

Google
Download our free Infrastructure as a Service Clouds (IaaS) Report and find out what your peers are saying about Google, Alibaba, Linode, and more!
Updated: November 2022