Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more

Fortinet FortiSandbox OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiSandbox is #10 ranked solution in top ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiSandbox an average rating of 8.2 out of 10. Fortinet FortiSandbox is most commonly compared to Palo Alto Networks WildFire: Fortinet FortiSandbox vs Palo Alto Networks WildFire. Fortinet FortiSandbox is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 58% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a comms service provider, accounting for 23% of all views.
Fortinet FortiSandbox Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiSandbox Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2022

What is Fortinet FortiSandbox?

Today’s threats are increasingly sophisticated and often bypass traditional malware security by masking their malicious activity. A sandbox augments your security architecture by validating threats in a separate, secure environment. FortiSandbox offers a powerful combination of advanced detection, automated mitigation, actionable insight, and flexible deployment to stop targeted attacks and subsequent data loss. It's also a key component of our Advanced Threat Protection solution.

Fortinet FortiSandbox was previously known as FortiSandbox.

Fortinet FortiSandbox Customers

Lush, Barnabas Health, Options, Riverside Healthcare, Hillsbourough County Schools, Columbia Public Schools, Schiller AG

Fortinet FortiSandbox Video

Archived Fortinet FortiSandbox Reviews (more than two years old)

it_user1128765 - PeerSpot reviewer
ICT Department at a energy/utilities company with 201-500 employees
Excellent at redirecting or stopping malicious content, very stable, and scalable
  • "The initial setup is straightforward."
  • "The integration is limited. The solution needs to offer better integration with multiple vendors."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to allow us to pick up on any traffic that is suspicious.

What is most valuable?

If there is malicious traffic that is going through the web application, we can halt that action, instead of waiting for the AntiVirus to take action. It also allows us to block them. This is the most valuable aspect of the solution.

What needs improvement?

I've been using the solution for three months.
Fortinet FortiSandbox
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiSandbox. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

The solution is very stable.

The solution is scalable. All of our web traffic currently goes through it.

Technical support is pretty good.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We used a local vendor to help us with the initial implementation.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. All of its features are readily available.

I'd rate it nine out of ten.

Principal Cyber Security Architect at a comms service provider with 5,001-10,000 employees
Reseller
Provides very good security and is easily adaptable to customer requirements
  • "The analysis engine is a very valuable feature."
  • "Product could include a user interface and be made simpler for customers to configure."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use for FortiSandbox is to provide a good environment, a test environment for us to analyze any new threat in the market. Fortinet Cloud uses its technology to analyze those threats for us and we use the analysis engine.

Our company is a service provider of Fortinet products, providing solutions based on the company's products. This can be anything from a UTM (Urchin Tracking Module) to a cloud solution depending on the requirements of the customer. It's not one specific model of the product that we have, rather we offer products based on the solutions required by the customer. We are resellers.

There are easily more than 1,000 or 2,000 people that would be using this product through our company because we get organizations where there are maybe 500 to 600 users and others with around 1,000. So I would have to say more than 2,000.

What is most valuable?

The analysis engine is a very valuable feature. It's quite up-to-date. However, I have not been able to compare it with another manufacturer's product so I'm not really sure whether it is the best. But we just use information that we get from Ratna, and the popularity of Fortinet itself.

What needs improvement?

I'm not sure whether anything needs improvement because I feel we need to have more experience with it. Perhaps if there were issues where customers complained, that's when I would be able to comment on what could be improved. So far, I haven't come across any specific features that need improving.

I'm content with the features of the product. If they plan to provide a feature that would make it easier for the customer to configure themselves, that would be appropriate. And possibly a user interface. As a service provider, the functionality is quite satisfactory.

We've been using FortiSandbox for about a year

I have confidence in the stability of the product. We've realized that quite a number of our customers really want Fortinet products. They might not understand all the FortiSandbox features until we show them how it all works but most customers look at the brand name and where it stands in the market.

The scalability is very good, it's easily expandable and I like that there is a uniform operating system, FortiOS, in all their products. Whenever you interact with either FortiSandbox or any other feature, the interface is the same.

We have great support from Fortinet. We have our own research partner who can assist us with configuration and getting to know the product. They're easily available to inform us about new features, new rollouts, and the new operating system in the FortiOS.

The setup of Fortinet is quite straightforward. If you're going to use their products, then you really need to know what to do technically. However, there's no great learning curve in the concept of setting it up, or at least not for anyone who's interested in applying themselves.

Most of our clients will opt for us to manage the setup for them because the security is fairly new. Most of our customers feel it is better to outsource the management of security services for their hardware so they can focus on the business. We have our own team of security experts that are fully trained in Fortinet. It's easier for them to carry out the setup for the customers.

The relationship between the customer and our company is by SNA (social network analysis), so there are fewer configuration errors and instances where the configuration hasn't been carried out correctly and the product is still not working well for the customer, so most companies prefer us to do it for them.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend that for customers looking for a security solution, FortiSandbox is a good option. It's available on different platforms, both on and off-premises. It's easier for the customer to plug in any other security solution they may need to cover security issues depending on their environment. It's very easy to plug-in additional new features as opposed to most other security products where you have to find compatibility with other elements of the customer environment. And those options are usually challenging and expensive.

I would rate this product eight out of 10.

Fortinet FortiSandbox
October 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Security Pre-Sales Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Very easy to use, but the end-point protection needs to be better

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution on-premises and our primary use case is for end-point protection.

What is most valuable?

What I find most valuable, is that it is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Something that needs to improve, is the end-point protection.

I've been using the solution for two to three years now.

I believe the solution is very stable. We've had a crash once or twice, but it was because they were having problems on their side. Now it works pretty well and we don't have any issues.

I believe the solution is scalable. We currently have only four people using it at our office.

The initial setup is easy and straightforward. If a person doesn't have experience with the product, they can do some searching to see exactly how to do it. But it's not difficult at all.

The solution is not expensive at all.

What other advice do I have?

I will rate this solution a seven out of ten. I would like to see an improvement in the end-point protection.

Ahmed Konsowa - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Security Consultant at SEE "Systems Engineering of Egypt"
It is stable and scalable, and the technical support is good
  • "The technical support is very good."
  • "Most people are confused about how to use the right integration of the right Fortinet product."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is to view the texts from our clients to their lawyers. We look for unknown malware and then I also use FortiFabric for integration.

What is most valuable?

I like the integration between FortiSandbox and FortiClient with FortiGate.

What needs improvement?

It would be awesome if it can be integrated with other solutions. I would like to add one more feature because there are some tricks to deploy integration for all sorts in a product. I had that problem because when I had FortiSandbox, FortiLink, FortiClient, FortiManager, FortiLicense, there was one license for the integration, and the other license was called IOP or FortiAnalyzer. I would like to have one bundle or one license for each device. There should be one orchestrator for the integration because until now there have been two devices, which are the orchestrators for the integration. So most people are confused about how to use the right integration of the right Fortinet product.

I have been using this solution for three years now.

The solution is very stable and I've never had any issues with stability.

I believe the solution is scalable.

The technical support is very good.

Setup and installation is very easy with the Fortinet Portal. If I remember correctly, the deployment took about a week.

There are additional costs that aren't included in the licensing fee.

What other advice do I have?

I will definitely recommend this solution to others. On a scale of one to ten, my rating will be an eight. In the next version I would love to see more integration and more products from other vendors.

Network and Server Engineer at AMiFN
A solution that has a very good GUI, is easy to set up, and offers good stability

What is most valuable?

The solution works very well for us. It's also fast, which is a very valuable aspect.

The solution's GUI is good.

What needs improvement?

At least once a week we have a false alarm. This needs to be adjusted so that we get fewer of these occurrences.

I've been using the solution for less than one year.

The stability of the solution is okay.

The scalability of the solution is good.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The pricing on the solution is okay; it's not too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

We're a reseller. We use the cloud deployment model of the solution.

I'd recommend the solution. The price point is decent and we've been satisfied with the results so far.

I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.

IT Manager at a international affairs institute with 11-50 employees
Easy to deploy, integrates with all of our Fortinet solutions, and helps protect against email threats

What is our primary use case?

This solution is used to connect to all of our other fabric, including Fortinet solutions such as FortiGate, FortiMail, and FortiClient.

We have this solution deployed on a virtual machine.

What is most valuable?

The solution is very good because it catches a lot of threats in emails.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes, email remains in the queue, which is a problem that we have contacted support about. This is something that needs to be improved.

The response time from technical support should be improved.

We have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable.

We have approximately four hundred people who use this solution.

We do plan on increasing our usage.

Technical support for this solution is good, but the people can take a long time to answer you. Sometimes, by the time they answer our ticket, we have already fixed the problem.

The initial setup is easy. There are instructions to follow.

We deployed this solution on our own.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I strongly recommend.

Solutions Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Stable and easy to implement, works with FortiMail to protect our network
  • "The most valuable feature is the protection and the way it works, the technology is what I like the most."
  • "The licensing can be very confusing. It needs to be simplified."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is email and protection.

We use FortiMail as well, and most of our environment is protected. We don’t have internet access for our users apart from email.

This solution is deployed in the Cloud.

What is most valuable?

The online information is very good.

What needs improvement?

The licensing can be very confusing. It needs to be simplified.

When choosing FortiSandbox, there are three different types of Licenses, but it doesn’t specify that it is for FortiSandbox, so you have a box for Sandboxing, then a separate box for hardware, and a separate one for the Cloud.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable. I am happy with it.

This solution is scalable.

We have over two thousand users.

I have never used technical support.

The initial setup was straightforward.

The information available on-line was helpful during the configuration.

We did not implement this solution through a vendor, we did it ourselves.

The pricing is okay, but the licensing can be confusing. For example, if you purchase FortiSandbox, there are three different types of licensing. They have a separate FortiSandbox for the cloud, and for FortiGate. It can be quite confusing.

For being an existing FortiGate customer, they started by giving me one year for free, then I started renewing.

What other advice do I have?

If you are an existing user of Fortinet and familiar with the interfaces of FortiGate and others then it will be easy for you.

I don’t have a business relationship with Fortinet. I am a user.

I would recommend this solution. I don’t have any complaints, so it is difficult to say what I would like to see in the next release.

Mahmoud Salaheldin - PeerSpot reviewer
Security Unit Manager at EEMC
Good endpoint detection and response, but it needs better technical support
  • "The most valuable feature was the EDR, endpoint detection and response."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see machine learning and anti-exploitation included."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for using FortiSandbox.

The deployment model we are using is on-premises.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature was the EDR, endpoint detection and response.

What needs improvement?

FortiSandbox could be improved. Fortinet took some time to include this feature and new technologies.

They have to develop it more, because of the codes, the variables in the number of virtual environments and the number of virtual rules.

They only provide eight or sometimes a maximum of fourteen virtual environments and the competitors are offering two hundred environments, so the number of environments offered it too small and needs to increase. Currently, this is one of the weakest capabilities with FortiSandbox.

The integration has no enforcements, you cannot apply any action, you have to integrate it with Fortinet. For example, if a customer wants to have FortiSandbox, he has to purchase the entire Fortinet profile. This is not an advantage for Fortinet, compared to others that can be integrated easily with any technology and with any vendor. Fortinet will only integrate with itself.

They are not leading in endpoints for FortiSandbox.

The capabilities and features of this solution are not good. They have to enhance and develop the product to compete.

I have been using this solution for two years.

This solution is stable. I have not had any issues with stability. It's fine.

We face some challenges with Fortinet. Each time we use the technical support, we run into the same problem. We open a ticket and we have to wait until is it escalated to a tier-two or a tier-three level before anyone will address your specific issues. You will never get help on the first level, and it is always directed to another level.

There seems to be a lack of coordinators.

It is possible that on our end we contact them for issues that are on a larger scale, or new issues, never on a basic level. However, it still takes time to get the issue resolved.

The installation is easy and straightforward.

Other companies, the competitors of Fortinet, offer this and in this area, they are better.

What other advice do I have?

We are Platinum level partners, and I am a consultant.

My advice would be to check the web reviews and you will find that Sandbox and FortiClient are not the best.

If you check Gartner, you will see that McAfee and Microsoft are better.

The setup and installation are easy and straightforward.

If you a Symantec endpoint then it's easy and straightforward.

I would rate this solution a six out of ten.

Owner at a tech services company
Reseller
Detects new threats but could be faster and less complex
  • "One of the valuable features is its ability to detect new threats."
  • "The product is good but it could be speedier. In addition, it's quite complex."

What is our primary use case?

Securing mail is our primary use case.

How has it helped my organization?

We have seen a measurable decrease in the mean time to detect or respond to threats, on the order of 20 percent.

What is most valuable?

One of the valuable features is its ability to detect new threats.

What needs improvement?

We would like to see the solution open to third parties.

The stability is okay.

It's scalable. You can scale it.

We did not have a previous solution. Using this solution is part of the way we do business. If you don't invest in the future you could be stopping your business.

The initial setup is quite complex. You have to really know the features by heart.

There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We did not evaluate other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If you aren't sure about the solution, buy the cloud version first. You can use it in their cloud.

The solution is a seven out of ten. The product is good but it could be speedier. In addition, it's quite complex.

Jonathan Bernardino - PeerSpot reviewer
Analista de Segurança da Informação at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
  • "You have access to a report as to what behaviors the example file entered in the registry."
  • "For additional features, maybe a form of execution pain files in a non-virtual environment because it has threats that identify when it is being run in a virtual machine."

What is our primary use case?

I work at a college campus with the intention of understanding targeted attacks. If a file is hit or some pre files set as .exe, .pif, .zip, or .pdf among others and forwards to virtual machines and executes an action of the file changing a registry, it creates some backdoor or memory overflow guaranteeing access the machine.

How has it helped my organization?

Improved the security imagine if any hacker develops a file for invasion my antivirus, it will not have a vaccine where FortiSandbox enters.

What is most valuable?

You have access to a report as to what behaviors the example file entered in the registry. Windows changed this parameter in order to obtain a breach, and this is demonstrated by report.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I do not see anything to improve.

Download our free Fortinet FortiSandbox Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: October 2022