Fortinet FortiPortal OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Fortinet FortiPortal is the #8 ranked solution in top Firewall Security Management tools. PeerSpot users give Fortinet FortiPortal an average rating of 7.6 out of 10. Fortinet FortiPortal is most commonly compared to Fortinet FortiGate Cloud: Fortinet FortiPortal vs Fortinet FortiGate Cloud. Fortinet FortiPortal is popular among the large enterprise segment, accounting for 51% of users researching this solution on PeerSpot. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 29% of all views.
Fortinet FortiPortal Buyer's Guide

Download the Fortinet FortiPortal Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: December 2022

What is Fortinet FortiPortal?

FortiPortal gives MSPs a comprehensive set of hosted Wi-Fi and security management features for FortiGate, FortiWiFi, and FortiAP products. With multitenancy, you can securely manage your customers through a centralized management console. This lets you respond quickly to customer requests and easily monitor customer networks. Our virtual appliance can be deployed on a hosted services infrastructure, allowing you to build highly-customized private-cloud services for customers.

Fortinet FortiPortal was previously known as FortiPortal.

Fortinet FortiPortal Customers

Black Gold Regional Schools, Amadeus Hospitality, Jefferson County, Chunghwa Telecom, City of Boroondara, Dimension Data

Fortinet FortiPortal Video

Fortinet FortiPortal Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Fortinet FortiPortal pricing:
  • "On average, it tends to be cheaper than other enterprise solutions."
  • "Fortinet FortiPortal is relatively expensive, but being an industry-leading firewall, it does come with a cost."
  • "The price of the solution is reasonable."
  • Fortinet FortiPortal Reviews

Director of Cybersecurity Solutions at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Does a pretty good job of rolling out the environment and making most tasks actionable, but logging is a little bit trickier to manage
    • "It does a little bit better than some of the other products health-wise and updates-wise. It is really clear that a firewall is getting the signature updates in this timeframe. In some of the other products, usually, you have to go a couple of screens in to see that, but not so much in this product."
    • "I find their logging a little bit trickier to manage. The logging of events is broken up into a lot of different categories. Instead of breaking up my logs into several different places, I personally like to have all the events in one spot and then filter them down. In particular, I find that troubleshooting on Fortinet takes a little bit longer just because of those functional breakups in the logs."

What is our primary use case?

It is trying to provide a single console across all of your environments for what's happening from a DDoS perspective or what's happening with your firewalls, which is nice.

It is generally a cloud-based solution. Depending on how it's architected, you might be able to get to it from home to check on the status of things or get alerts, such as when your email system goes down.

What is most valuable?

It does a pretty good job of rolling out the environment and making most tasks actionable. That's probably the strongest piece to it.

It does a little bit better than some of the other products health-wise and updates-wise. It is really clear that a firewall is getting the signature updates in this timeframe. In some of the other products, usually, you have to go a couple of screens in to see that, but not so much in this product.

What needs improvement?

I find their logging a little bit trickier to manage. The logging of events is broken up into a lot of different categories. Instead of breaking up my logs into several different places, I personally like to have all the events in one spot and then filter them down. In particular, I find that troubleshooting on Fortinet takes a little bit longer just because of those functional breakups in the logs.

It has probably been a year and a half. There are not too many years under my boat with this one.

Fortinet FortiPortal
    December 2022
    Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiPortal. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

It is overall good. Every now and then, they go through an outage, and during that outage, you just can't change rule sets through the portal. You can do local rule changes and risk them being overwritten when the portal comes back up.

This is a very personal opinion. Because its console is broken up a lot more differently than other products, I find that when you have a lot of rules in a Fortinet environment, the console is slower, and troubleshooting it is very difficult compared to other solutions.

The number of people working with this solution varies. I've got a really large customer who is on Fortinet for their environment. I feel that it takes them a little longer to troubleshoot because of the style of this tool, and they also have a ton of rules. They've got a section of their network that has over 2,000 firewall rules and a couple of groups of devices. It is not quite painful, but it is slow.

They're okay. They used to be really good, but these days, I find them to be just okay. You do have to do some more escalations, and it takes a little bit longer to get through the process, but once you get the right person, you're usually okay.

It tends to be more of a SaaS type of offering. Rules are just different in Fortinet, and there is medium complexity with it. It has a fragmented style that I personally find a little bit more difficult. With the rule sets also, you tend to hop around the console a lot more than Palo Alto or ASA.

In terms of maintenance, most of the product side updates are thankfully automated, but where it does become a problem is that because of the volume of rules and the breakup of logs, adding new roles and doing modifications to that are more difficult. It tends to lead to a little bit more rework and a little bit more testing needs than other solutions or environments.

On average, it tends to be cheaper than other enterprise solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Because customers usually go for price and feature set, I would advise considering the day-to-day operational cost and support impact. If you have a smaller, less complex environment, you're probably okay with the solution. If you have lots of firewall rules and lots of complexity, supportability and staffing are going to be a little bit higher for Fortinet than other products. It is not exactly an easy thing to get your thought process around when you're making a purchasing decision.

I would rate it a six out of ten. I'm kind of harsh on consoles like that. They do have a lot going on. I get why they don't have the coolest interfaces.

Daryl Tate - PeerSpot reviewer
    ICT Infrastructure Coordinator at Chairo Christian School
    Good reporting on threats, an easy-to-use portal, with good support
    • "I am very comfortable with it, including it's reporting on threats and through its activities."
    • "It's useful for us but if it had more educational reporting, it would good. It's not necessarily lacking but it's an area that could get better."

What is our primary use case?

It's our main firewall and security protection, for both our internal and external network.

What is most valuable?

It's very good. I am very comfortable with it, including it's reporting on threats and through its activities. Also, the portal is reasonably easy to use.

The model we have does everything we want. It is doing a good job at what it is.

What needs improvement?

We are in the education space. We use more specific education-based reporting. It's useful for us but if it had more educational reporting, it would good. It's not necessarily lacking but it's an area that could get better.

If we had more throughput requirements, a bigger model would be useful.

I have been using the latest version of Fortinet FortiPortal for 18 months.

It's a stable solution.

Originally there were a couple of little bugs, but with a software upgrade, we sorted that out very quickly.

It was just with the memory leakage, but they continue to improve it with updates, which comes free once you have the support arrangement on it.

It's scalable. We have two at this time. We have a hot reserve unit as well as a backup unit that we haven't had to use, which is good.

In our network, we have approximately 2,000 users who are using this solution.

At this stage, we plan to continue using it for at least another 18 months. After that, we will review the situation. Hopefully, it will still be fulfilling our needs. Currently, it's everything we need, which is fantastic.

We have had some technical support and it's been very good.

We have changed the way we are connecting to our appliances and they were very good at assisting us in the change of data throughput and the different technologies we are using.

Previously, we used another solution, but we didn't use a next-generation firewall. It was an earlier version firewall that was fairly limited.

Fortinet FortiPortal has been by far better with effectiveness and with functionality.

We thought that it might be complicated but it was pretty straightforward. It was quite easy.

It's a basic setup and they customized it a little bit for our particular traffic usage.

It took approximately four hours to install and deploy.

We have an IT team of eight to maintain this solution.

We engaged an IT professional to help with the installation, but it wasn't difficult to do.

It's licensed.

When we compared it with other firewall products, it still represented good value. We were quite happy with the value option on it.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, I would recommend this solution.

Any medium to large organization would need to look at this product. It's quite good and provides a lot of performance, and it's very scalable.

As we grow, I am sure it will continue to be good for us.

I would rate Fortinet FortiPortal a nine out of ten.

Fortinet FortiPortal
    December 2022
    657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
    Head of Product - Networks at a tech vendor with 201-500 employees
    MSP
    Good visual reports, easy to set up, and can expand as needed
    • "The customer likes it for the graphs, the dynamics and the reporting functionality it offers."
    • "If you are a very small company or a person on your own, it's harder to get any response from technical support."

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet extensively in our business. We sell many services, so we're not an end customer. I'm a managed service supplier.

This product is primarily used for end customers to be able to control their FortiGate in a simpler manner without accessing other features they're not buying yet.

What is most valuable?

The customer likes it for the graphs, the dynamics, and the reporting functionality it offers.

It is easy to set up.

The solution can scale well.

What needs improvement?

A lot of things could be improved.

For example, right now, it's going through an iteration of change. The most recent version, which needed a whole new rebuild, is much more improved. Version seven and above is much more improved and much more stable from our testing. However, they could continue to refine it.

If you are a very small company or a person on your own, it's harder to get any response from technical support.

The business has been dealing with Fortinet for about eight years.

In the past, stability was an issue. It seems to be better with the latest release.

The scalability has been good so far.

I haven't dealt with technical support myself. That said, it depends on what level of MSP you are in the first place. Fortinet support is amazing at times, yet also, if you're a very small customer, the support can be quite troublesome.

The last few versions were pretty unstable. However, they seemed to have fixed it in the latest iteration.

Once it's in place, it's relatively easy to set up and offer to our end clients. It's all pretty straightforward.

As an MSP, we can assist our clients with the initial setup.

It's probably expensive on its own as you can do most things for yourself if you wanted to. However, it's in a nice environment, and the customers are happy to pay the premium for it as it makes things easy.

The costs vary according to the customer and the environment.

What other advice do I have?

We use Fortinet quite a lot in our business. We use most of the Fortinet range in our business. We're an MSP.

We tend to work with all deployment models, including the cloud and on-premises. We use the most recent version of the product.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. Our previous experience was poor; however, they've recently made some great improvements, and I only see it getting better.

General Manager at Megpoint
    Reseller
    Simple installation, good customer service, and priced well

What is our primary use case?

We use Fortinet FortiPortal security management.

What is most valuable?

The documentation has been satisfactory.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiPortal could improve by providing a learning portal and better security.

I have used Fortinet FortiPortal for approximately three years.

The stability could improve in the solution.

The technical support has been good.

The installation was straightforward, it took approximately two days.

The price of the solution is reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiPortal an eight out of ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiPortal Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
    Updated: December 2022