Network Engineer at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
A simple-to-configure and stable product with VPN concentrator and competitive pricing
  • "The simplicity of the configuration and the stability of the product are most valuable. The VPN concentrator is very useful."
  • "It is quite new for us, and we need to go more in-depth into the monitoring tools. It provides different features that we need to do what we want. So far, it is okay for us. In terms of improvement, in the future, they can provide a faster implementation of features. Some of the features are first available in other solutions. Fortinet sometimes takes a little bit longer than other solutions, such as Check Point, to implement new features."

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in our data center. It is being used at the perimeter of our data center to protect the applications that we have inside the data center. We are at the beginning of its installation in our data center. We have recently installed a new cluster for IPS functionality, and we have to check if this cluster does the job.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

The simplicity of the configuration and the stability of the product are most valuable. The VPN concentrator is very useful.

What needs improvement?

It is quite new for us, and we need to go more in-depth into the monitoring tools. It provides different features that we need to do what we want. So far, it is okay for us. In terms of improvement, in the future, they can provide a faster implementation of features. Some of the features are first available in other solutions. Fortinet sometimes takes a little bit longer than other solutions, such as Check Point, to implement new features.

It is quite a new product for us. We started using it only about six months ago.

Fortinet FortiGate
November 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2022.
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Its stability is okay for us. Since we have put this new cluster, we haven't had any problems or crashes. It's okay for us from this point of view.

We got this firewall just less than a year ago, and we hope to see good performance in three or four years.

There are around 10,000 people in our company, and they are all using FortiGate because they all need to go through this cluster of firewalls.

I have not yet interacted with them. That's because we didn't encounter any important issues. When we have any technical questions, our partner has been able to answer our questions. So, I don't have any experience with Fortinet support.

It is straightforward at the beginning.

We worked with a partner. Usually, when we have a project, we do the initial setup with this partner. After that, we are able to manage the firewall without any outside help.

Its pricing is competitive with other solutions.

We chose it after comparing different solutions on the market.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this product. It is very easy to use. We are happy to use this product.

I would rate it an eight out of 10.

Compliance Officer at a venture capital & private equity firm with 11-50 employees
Good UI, easy to use, and offers reasonable pricing
  • "Overall, the pricing of the solution is very good. The product offers good value."
  • "There aren't really any negative aspects to discuss."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for our network, as virtual security of the network. It helps protect us and keeps us safe.

What is most valuable?

The overall experience has been very good. It fully meets our requirements. We find the solution to be pretty user-friendly.

The solution has a lot of features. I'm not sure if there is one that stands out as the most valuable for us.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The vendor has been very good at providing us with everything we need.

The product is quite flexible.

We've found the scalability to be very good.

The dashboards and UI are very nice.

What needs improvement?

We aren't really missing any features.

The solution isn't lacking anything. We've been overall very please with the experience we've had. There aren't really any negative aspects to discuss.

I have used the solution for a while. It's been more than five years at this point.

So far, we have found the stability of the product to be quite good. It doesn't crash or freeze on us. We haven't experienced bugs or glitches. The performance is reliable. It's good.

You can scale the solution if you need to. It's not a difficult thing to do.

We do plan to continue using this solution.

We don't have any experience with technical support. No problems have really presented themselves, and therefore there hasn't been a need to reach out at all. Therefore, we can't really speak to the helpfulness of technical support.

We didn't previously use a different solution.

This is a cloud-based solution. Therefore, there really isn't an installation process per se. It's very easy to get started.

The solution offers good value for your money. It isn't too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

It is my understanding that we are using the latest version of the solution. However, I am not 100% positive. I don't know which version number we are currently on.

I'm not sure if I would recommend the product. It would depend on each individual company's needs.

I would rate this solution at an eight out of ten. It's been a pretty positive experience overall.

Fortinet FortiGate
November 2022
655,113 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Adriana Ymeri - PeerSpot reviewer
IT Infrastructure Engineer at Communication Progress
Scalable, Easy to implement, security fabric integration, wireless controller, low cost, stable
  • "Web filtering and two-factor authentication are great features."
  • "Vulnerability scanning could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution for our clients is for protecting internal networks with data center firewalls, internal segmentation and next generation firewalls.

We are a gold partner of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

SD-WAN, Security fabric integration, two-factor authentication, ADVPN, Dynamic routing, single pane of glas managements are great features. FortiGate is very easy to use, and to configure.

What needs improvement?

I think some improvements could be made in vulnerability scanning. I'd also like to see additional features in the authentication. They support RADIUS, LDAP  but the solution doesn't have API integration with other solutions. They have API in FortiAuthenticator, but not in the firewall and not all customers want to buy another solution.

I've been providing this solution to clients for seven years.

This is a very stable solution.

This solution is scalable. They have now built hyperscale firewalls and it's very easy. Also VMs, for example, is very easy to scale, you just need to adjust the licensing.

Technical support is very, very good. They respond quickly and provide the solution to the problem.

I have previously used Check Point and Cisco ASA. In terms of cost and security features, Fortinet has the advantage and it's also easy to implement. Cisco and Check Point are a little bit more difficult in that aspect.

The initial setup is simple, as with all Fortinet technologies. Deployment time depends on the situation. For small customers it takes about one to two hours. For larger companies with different kinds of firewalls in their infrastructure, it may take a day or two, it depends on the complexity of the network, the infrastructure and the size of the business. The solution is suitable for any size company. Maintenance depends on the contract with our customers, but Fortinet includes support with every license. If a customer wants support from us, we provide it.

Fortinet offers four types of licensing - Advanced Threat Protection, Unified Threat Protection and Enterprise Protection and 360 degree Protection.  Licensing costs are dependent on the VM  or Hardware model, not per features. For example if vm or Hardware model supports 200 IPsec tunnels you can setup 200 IPsec tunnels, it doesn't matter what kind of license you have.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution.

I would rate this solution a 10 out of 10.

Ahmad Aloqlah - PeerSpot reviewer
General Manager at GlobalTech
Powerful firewall with a user friendly interface and content filtering
  • "The most valuable feature is the interface, which is very user friendly. We are utilizing most of the features, like content filtering. The firewall is powerful."
  • "The renewal price and the availability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is mainly for firewalls. We tried FortiClient as well and FortiToken, but we mainly use it for the firewall.

The solution is deployed on-prem. We are using the latest version.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the interface, which is very user friendly. We are utilizing most of the features, like content filtering. The firewall is powerful.

What needs improvement?

The renewal price and the availability could be improved. We faced a lot of delivery issues because of the pandemic situation. We are a customer, but sometimes we have sister companies, so we deliver or order a few extra boxes. In these cases we are facing some delays, like three or four months. There are a massive delays in deliveries and they're saying that it's from the vendor itself. I don't know how long this will last or if it's just temporary.

We have been using this solution for six to seven years.

The solution is stable. The only issue is the renewal price, which is always higher compared to the purchase price.

We have two people for maintenance from network and security.

We have up to 100 users, and we are pretty satisfied. It's stable. We have never had to scale up because of the newest model. We go with C, E, then F, but at the same level, we never had to upgrade the hardware itself to a higher or a bigger model.

We raised a few tickets and issues, and they replied to us. It was pretty good. We have never faced any problems with getting our issues resolved.

It was straightforward. We didn't face any issues.

We implemented through a reseller and it took couple of days. There were some modifications and configurations that took more time, but the core configuration took a couple of days.

The renewal price is always higher compared to the purchase price.

Fortinet is one of our top products, our main products. They have 75% market share, so we cannot ignore the fact that they are in the market, but I need an alternate solution. I don't want to depend on only one vendor, so I think Sophos will be a good option for us.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution 8 out of 10.

Mohsinoddin Mohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Principal at Alkhorayef
Easy to manage, improves visibility, and lowered our TCO
  • "FortiGate Secure SD-WAN includes best-of-breed next-generation firewall (NGFW) security, SD-WAN, advanced routing, and WAN optimization capabilities, delivering a security-driven networking WAN edge transformation in a unified offering."
  • "There is a lot of improvement needed with SSL-VPN."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the FortiGate firewall for multiple purposes including network antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec Tunnels, and SSL-VPN using soft FortiTokens.

For the past year, we have also been using this technology for Secure SD-WAN. This added a lot of value in terms of technology, such as datacenter connectivity using IPSec tunnel-added security filters, with less cost by canceling MPLS.

How has it helped my organization?

We have implemented secure SD-WAN using FortiGate firewalls in 15 locations and it is working extremely well.

Since implementing, the total cost of ownership (TCO) has been lowered and the day-to-day security operations have been simplified through our FortiOps services. These provide cloud-based management, visibility, and automation across your Fortinet Security Fabric. It also helps to realize the operational benefits of a Fortinet-enabled Secure SD-WAN.

At the same time, cybersecurity threats have become more sophisticated and fast-moving. Fortinet offers a full range of services and subscriptions to help us simplify and make the most of your SD-WAN deployment with the lowest TCO possible.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet Secure SD-WAN delivered the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) per Mbps among all other vendors.

Antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec, and SSL-VPN are great features with the next-generation Fortinet firewall. They are all very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We are managing FortiGate using a FortiManager and it needs improvement with respect to the ease of administration tasks.

There is a lot of improvement needed with SSL-VPN.

Technical support could be improved.

We have been using FortiGate technology for more than five years.

FortiGate is a very stable firewall.

With respect to scalability, it's an excellent product.

The customer service is good, although there is room for improvement with technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented this solution with this assistance of a partner.

We did evaluate other products, including solutions by Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

There is always a need for improvement with any vendor.

Charbel Hajj - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Supervisor at MEPEQ
Robust, easy to use, and has excellent technical support that is quite responsive
  • "The performance is good."
  • "I would like to see better pricing in the next release, as well as a simplification of the installation."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate is a firewall that protects all network data. We use it as our primary firewall in the office.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate for six years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable product.

Fortinet FortiGate is a scalable product.

In our company, it is the main gateway for the internet, and we have less than 100 users.

Deployment is faster per user. Each one has a laptop or a PC, as well as a mobile phone, so we have less than 100 devices per user, but with mobile phones and Internet access, that number can rise to more than 100.

I have contacted technical support many times, they are very important and they are very good. They follow up on all of the cases that we have opened.

The response time is great.

They also always have an updated version of the firmware.

I now have UniFi Switches for our WiFi access point. We began using UniFi to replace Cisco Linksys Ethernet switches.

I am also working with QNAPS for network connections.

For virtual meetings, we use Google Meet. Some of our customers use Webex but we mainly work with Google Meet.

In our company, we have Kaspersky, as well as Fortinet.

It's not straightforward. You must have at least the knowledge and the settings. It's not that simple.

The length of time it takes to install is determined by the configuration you have inside. It could take anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours.

In our company, I am responsible for the solution's maintenance and deployment.

We had the assistance of a consultant at first.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

It would be better if it could be made a little less expensive.

It will be more expensive for the first year, then it will gradually decrease by a certain amount per year or something along those lines.

We have the full license that included all of the features and support.

Aside from the licensing fees, there are no other costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Systems Engineer at Vernity
Flexible, integrates well, and offers good technical support
  • "It's an easy solution to set up."
  • "The stability could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for the connection with VPN clients. We use the solution for network security and network segmentation.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution. The security that it's providing is a valuable aspect of the product.

FortiGate integrates well with other equipment such as FortiSwitch, FortiIB, and more, and delivers one pane of glass for the management of those devices.

It's an easy solution to set up.

Technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

The configuration option availability is not 100% from the website of the FortiGate web management site. When we log on to the web interface on FortiGate, we do not have everything under this web solution. If we need some specific configuration or need to do some specific configuration, we need to do additional things on the CLI.

The stability could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for at least the last 12 months.

In terms of stability, there are some areas in which they need to improve. There are different versions and we understand from past implementations which will work best according to our client's needs. The wrong one may not be as stable as they would like.

Some clients may increase usage in the future. FortiGate is fast becoming a very popular solution and its use will likely grow in general.

In general, technical support is helpful. We are quite happy with the level of support on offer.

The solution's initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The length of time it takes to deploy really depends on the size of the project.

While we do assist the client with the implementation, they tend to handle the maintenance on their end.

Typically we, as integrators, will assist the client with the initial setup.

The overall costs are pretty typical. It's not overly cheap or overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I work as an integrator and maybe 60% of my work is around FortiGate. My company is a Fortinet partner and integrator.

If companies are thinking about the security of their network, they should consider FortiGate as a gate to the internet. I would highly recommend it to others.

For small or mid-size businesses, I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Luis Teran - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at Cyber Sea
Is affordable and easy to deploy, and has good license management features
  • "The license management is very valuable. You can get a new license each year, or you can enroll every two to four years. You can get the logs, and you will get the information on the risk in your network and the entire organization. With this information, you can take action on your actives, computers, or devices. You can bring your own device as an SSE."
  • "The firmware needs improvement because there are bugs when a new release comes through. Sometimes, the configuration changes, and it's a bit harder to see where the fail is. The first time that you have the firmware, it tends to have some issues, and it's better to wait a bit to update the equipment."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this product has to do with security and visibility. When you are inside the business and when there are different departments and branches, it is used for the visibility of some packets. It can also be used for SSL inspections, to check if the SSL is right and that it is not phishing.

What is most valuable?

The license management is very valuable. You can get a new license each year, or you can enroll every two to four years. You can get the logs, and you will get the information on the risk in your network and the entire organization. With this information, you can take action on your actives, computers, or devices. You can bring your own device as an SSE.

The simplicity of the deployment and the digitization of risk are other valuable features that Fortinet provides.

The cost is low.

What needs improvement?

The firmware needs improvement because there are bugs when a new release comes through. Sometimes, the configuration changes, and it's a bit harder to see where the fail is. The first time that you have the firmware, it tends to have some issues, and it's better to wait a bit to update the equipment.

All the development of the firmware should be fixed before the update at the page level.

API tokens need to be improved, particularly with regard to integration with other cloud solutions. In other words, proxy flow and API integration need improvement.

I haven't had any problem with the stability of the product.

The scalability is good. You can merge other Fortinet products well with this solution.

Technical support has been good.

The initial setup is easy.

The deployment and maintenance can be done by one person.

I did it myself. To create all the policies and configurations needed by the customers, it usually takes me two days or a week at the most if the project is harder.

The price is really low. It's cheap in comparison to the cost of Cisco or CheckPoint, for example.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to get this product, first you must evaluate the number of people who will use it, and then choose the product that will best fit your needs.

I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: November 2022