Mohsinoddin Mohammed - PeerSpot reviewer
Information Security Principal at Alkhorayef
Easy to manage, improves visibility, and lowered our TCO
  • "FortiGate Secure SD-WAN includes best-of-breed next-generation firewall (NGFW) security, SD-WAN, advanced routing, and WAN optimization capabilities, delivering a security-driven networking WAN edge transformation in a unified offering."
  • "There is a lot of improvement needed with SSL-VPN."

What is our primary use case?

We are using the FortiGate firewall for multiple purposes including network antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec Tunnels, and SSL-VPN using soft FortiTokens.

For the past year, we have also been using this technology for Secure SD-WAN. This added a lot of value in terms of technology, such as datacenter connectivity using IPSec tunnel-added security filters, with less cost by canceling MPLS.

How has it helped my organization?

We have implemented secure SD-WAN using FortiGate firewalls in 15 locations and it is working extremely well.

Since implementing, the total cost of ownership (TCO) has been lowered and the day-to-day security operations have been simplified through our FortiOps services. These provide cloud-based management, visibility, and automation across your Fortinet Security Fabric. It also helps to realize the operational benefits of a Fortinet-enabled Secure SD-WAN.

At the same time, cybersecurity threats have become more sophisticated and fast-moving. Fortinet offers a full range of services and subscriptions to help us simplify and make the most of your SD-WAN deployment with the lowest TCO possible.

What is most valuable?

Fortinet Secure SD-WAN delivered the lowest total cost of ownership (TCO) per Mbps among all other vendors.

Antivirus, Application Control, Web Filtering, IPSec, and SSL-VPN are great features with the next-generation Fortinet firewall. They are all very easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

We are managing FortiGate using a FortiManager and it needs improvement with respect to the ease of administration tasks.

There is a lot of improvement needed with SSL-VPN.

Technical support could be improved.

Fortinet FortiGate
December 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiGate. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: December 2022.
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.

We have been using FortiGate technology for more than five years.

FortiGate is a very stable firewall.

With respect to scalability, it's an excellent product.

The customer service is good, although there is room for improvement with technical support.

We did not use another solution prior to this one.

The initial setup was straightforward.

We implemented this solution with this assistance of a partner.

We did evaluate other products, including solutions by Cisco.

What other advice do I have?

There is always a need for improvement with any vendor.

Charbel Hajj - PeerSpot reviewer
Senior Supervisor at MEPEQ
Robust, easy to use, and has excellent technical support that is quite responsive
  • "The performance is good."
  • "I would like to see better pricing in the next release, as well as a simplification of the installation."

What is our primary use case?

Fortinet FortiGate is a firewall that protects all network data. We use it as our primary firewall in the office.

What is most valuable?

The performance is good.

It is easy to use.

What needs improvement?

I have been working with Fortinet FortiGate for six years.

Fortinet FortiGate is a stable product.

Fortinet FortiGate is a scalable product.

In our company, it is the main gateway for the internet, and we have less than 100 users.

Deployment is faster per user. Each one has a laptop or a PC, as well as a mobile phone, so we have less than 100 devices per user, but with mobile phones and Internet access, that number can rise to more than 100.

I have contacted technical support many times, they are very important and they are very good. They follow up on all of the cases that we have opened.

The response time is great.

They also always have an updated version of the firmware.

I now have UniFi Switches for our WiFi access point. We began using UniFi to replace Cisco Linksys Ethernet switches.

I am also working with QNAPS for network connections.

For virtual meetings, we use Google Meet. Some of our customers use Webex but we mainly work with Google Meet.

In our company, we have Kaspersky, as well as Fortinet.

It's not straightforward. You must have at least the knowledge and the settings. It's not that simple.

The length of time it takes to install is determined by the configuration you have inside. It could take anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours.

In our company, I am responsible for the solution's maintenance and deployment.

We had the assistance of a consultant at first.

Licensing fees are paid on a yearly basis.

It would be better if it could be made a little less expensive.

It will be more expensive for the first year, then it will gradually decrease by a certain amount per year or something along those lines.

We have the full license that included all of the features and support.

Aside from the licensing fees, there are no other costs.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Fortinet FortiGate
December 2022
657,397 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Systems Engineer at Vernity
Flexible, integrates well, and offers good technical support
  • "It's an easy solution to set up."
  • "The stability could be a bit better."

What is our primary use case?

The solution is mostly used for the connection with VPN clients. We use the solution for network security and network segmentation.

What is most valuable?

It's a flexible solution. The security that it's providing is a valuable aspect of the product.

FortiGate integrates well with other equipment such as FortiSwitch, FortiIB, and more, and delivers one pane of glass for the management of those devices.

It's an easy solution to set up.

Technical support has been good.

What needs improvement?

The configuration option availability is not 100% from the website of the FortiGate web management site. When we log on to the web interface on FortiGate, we do not have everything under this web solution. If we need some specific configuration or need to do some specific configuration, we need to do additional things on the CLI.

The stability could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for at least the last 12 months.

In terms of stability, there are some areas in which they need to improve. There are different versions and we understand from past implementations which will work best according to our client's needs. The wrong one may not be as stable as they would like.

Some clients may increase usage in the future. FortiGate is fast becoming a very popular solution and its use will likely grow in general.

In general, technical support is helpful. We are quite happy with the level of support on offer.

The solution's initial setup is pretty simple and straightforward. It's not overly complex or difficult.

The length of time it takes to deploy really depends on the size of the project.

While we do assist the client with the implementation, they tend to handle the maintenance on their end.

Typically we, as integrators, will assist the client with the initial setup.

The overall costs are pretty typical. It's not overly cheap or overly expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I work as an integrator and maybe 60% of my work is around FortiGate. My company is a Fortinet partner and integrator.

If companies are thinking about the security of their network, they should consider FortiGate as a gate to the internet. I would highly recommend it to others.

For small or mid-size businesses, I'd rate the solution an eight out of ten.

Luis Teran - PeerSpot reviewer
Engineer at Cyber Sea
Is affordable and easy to deploy, and has good license management features
  • "The license management is very valuable. You can get a new license each year, or you can enroll every two to four years. You can get the logs, and you will get the information on the risk in your network and the entire organization. With this information, you can take action on your actives, computers, or devices. You can bring your own device as an SSE."
  • "The firmware needs improvement because there are bugs when a new release comes through. Sometimes, the configuration changes, and it's a bit harder to see where the fail is. The first time that you have the firmware, it tends to have some issues, and it's better to wait a bit to update the equipment."

What is our primary use case?

The use case for this product has to do with security and visibility. When you are inside the business and when there are different departments and branches, it is used for the visibility of some packets. It can also be used for SSL inspections, to check if the SSL is right and that it is not phishing.

What is most valuable?

The license management is very valuable. You can get a new license each year, or you can enroll every two to four years. You can get the logs, and you will get the information on the risk in your network and the entire organization. With this information, you can take action on your actives, computers, or devices. You can bring your own device as an SSE.

The simplicity of the deployment and the digitization of risk are other valuable features that Fortinet provides.

The cost is low.

What needs improvement?

The firmware needs improvement because there are bugs when a new release comes through. Sometimes, the configuration changes, and it's a bit harder to see where the fail is. The first time that you have the firmware, it tends to have some issues, and it's better to wait a bit to update the equipment.

All the development of the firmware should be fixed before the update at the page level.

API tokens need to be improved, particularly with regard to integration with other cloud solutions. In other words, proxy flow and API integration need improvement.

I haven't had any problem with the stability of the product.

The scalability is good. You can merge other Fortinet products well with this solution.

Technical support has been good.

The initial setup is easy.

The deployment and maintenance can be done by one person.

I did it myself. To create all the policies and configurations needed by the customers, it usually takes me two days or a week at the most if the project is harder.

The price is really low. It's cheap in comparison to the cost of Cisco or CheckPoint, for example.

What other advice do I have?

If you want to get this product, first you must evaluate the number of people who will use it, and then choose the product that will best fit your needs.

I would rate this solution at eight on a scale from one to ten.

Founder / Principal at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
The hardware is reliable, and it provides best performance per dollar spent and ease of licensing and management
  • "It increases security posture and is helpful for firewall reporting, intrusion protection, web filtering, and SD-WAN implementation."
  • "The cloud management and automation capability could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We're a Fortinet partner and reseller. We work with FortiGate models 40 through 600, and our customers have hybrid and on-prem deployments. The cloud providers are Microsoft Azure and Wasabi.

Its use cases are related to increasing the security posture, SD-WAN implementation, simplified management and licensing, and cost savings.

What is most valuable?

It increases security posture and is helpful for firewall reporting, intrusion protection, web filtering, and SD-WAN implementation.

The hardware is reliable. There are no surprises in terms of performance or add-on pricing.

What needs improvement?

The cloud management and automation capability could be improved.

I have been working with this solution for six years.

Its stability is excellent.

Its scalability is very good. There are 100 to 3,000 users, and they are knowledge workers with different roles, such as engineers, lawyers, accountants, etc.

Their technical support is very good. I would rate them a four out of five.

Most of the customers replaced Cisco.

It is straightforward for someone with Fortinet experience. If you don't know anything about Fortinet, you can take it out of the box and plug it in.

Its deployment is usually on a location-by-location basis. Each location often takes one day for the implementation of a new data service. One person is usually enough for its deployment and maintenance.

I don't know the numbers, but it typically results in a 20% to 30% reduction in data communications costs.

Fortinet costs are 25% lower than the high-cost provider. There is an equipment cost and a recurring monthly cost for licenses and technical support.

Most of the customers look at Cisco, Cisco Meraki, Palo Alto, and Fortinet. They go with Fortinet because of the best performance per dollar spent and ease of licensing and management.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise sizing the equipment appropriately to support future growth. You should look for a four to six-year life of a server. You should compare vendors for price versus performance, ease of management, ease of use, and completeness of features.

I would rate it a nine out of 10. We've had a good experience with it. There were no surprises.

Network Administrator at Hellenic National Meteorological Service
Useful web filtering, beneficial remote access, and straightforward setup
  • "The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are remote access, web filtering, and IPS."
  • "Fortinet FortiGate could improve by having more capabilities for troubleshooting VPN connections. For example, I do get some feedback about the current status, but I could use some history and logging of important events. The information is logged in our Syslog server, but I could use that information from the device. If they could provide a GUI to have some more insight on what's going with my VPN would be useful."

What is our primary use case?

I am using Fortinet FortiGate as a firewall.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of Fortinet FortiGate are remote access, web filtering, and IPS.

What needs improvement?

Fortinet FortiGate could improve by having more capabilities for troubleshooting VPN connections. For example, I do get some feedback about the current status, but I could use some history and logging of important events. The information is logged in our Syslog server, but I could use that information from the device. If they could provide a GUI to have some more insight on what's going with my VPN would be useful.

The way Fortinet FortiGate handles the phase two connection of a VPN setup could be better. For example, if I have to make a phase two traffic selector input, I cannot add more ports. For example, on a specific IP address pair, if I have an IP address pair source and destination, then I can only add one port. I'm not sure if I can do that through the command line, but on the GUI, I cannot, and this is a problem. I have to select another IP address pair to allow another port and this means new traffic selectors and a new set of tunnels. This causes more tunnels to need troubleshooting.

I would like to be able to pass more diverse information through the same tunnel, and it doesn't seem to be possible if you want to limit the traffic through the tunnel and not allow all protocols between the same IP address pair. If we want to limit the ports, then I find there is a problem.

I have been using Fortinet FortiGate for approximately a year and a half.

We have a contract with a Fortinet partner, and they're very good at providing support. We don't have the communication directly with Fortinet.

I have previously used a Cisco firewall, the 5520 model. It was not a next-generation firewall and did not have IPS integrated, and it was quite difficult to manage and to find features and implement them. Fortinet FortiGate is very good at this.

The initial setup of Fortinet FortiGate is straightforward.

I do not have first-hand experience with the rice of Fortinet FortiGate, but I have heard the price was reasonable.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a ten out of ten.

Service Delivery Engineer - Network Security Lead at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Reseller
Integrates smoothly, scales well, and high-quality features
  • "The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic."
  • "The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future."

What is most valuable?

When trying to move from MPLS to SD-WAN they have a very good SD-WAN offering.

The solution integrates well.

It has high-quality security features.

It provides a full end-to-end security suite.

The security of the solution is good.

What needs improvement?

The solution could have licensing fees reduced in the future.

I have been using the solution for 5 years.

It is not common for the solution to become unstable, but it does happen. The good thing is, they constantly release updates. If the version you are using has a bug, in the next version it definitely will be fixed.

The solution is highly scalable because they have devices that can handle a large amount of traffic. The VM version with the hardware appliances is widely scalable. It can handle small businesses to large scale enterprises. In terms of mode of deployment, you have VM, hardware appliance, and cloud. There is cloud management as well that is scalable. It can suit a number of deployment scenarios.

We currently have 50 employees using the solution, some of our clients that have deployed it has 1000 users and it has not given a problem.

The customer service was very fast to respond to our needs.

The installation is not difficult but there is a learning curve, it becomes easy over time.

The basic installation took approximately two days. A more complicated scenario can take even up to two weeks. Depending on the options that you are looking for, there are many things you can consider. If you are looking at a complex design then you are going to take more time.

I did the deployments myself with one other technician.

The pricing of the solution is very competitive. The license price can vary depending on the product you have and the different types of licenses you need. For example, they have an enterprise and UTM license. It depends on the type of license and the size of the company.

What other advice do I have?

Fortinet has a product that can cater to any area of the security market. For example, application firewall and authentication products.

I would recommend this solution to others.

I rate Fortinet FortiGate a nine out of ten.

Deputy Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
Good stability and fair pricing with an easy initial setup
  • "The customization potential is quite impressive."
  • "The ease of use could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the firewall for the most part. It's to help us with security on our network.

What is most valuable?

The solution has a very good set of rules.

The customization potential is quite impressive. It can be customized based on our licensing contracts.

The initial setup was pretty simple. We didn't find it to be overly difficult to execute on.

Technical support is rather helpful.

We find the stability to be pretty good.

We didn't have any trouble setting up the solution.

We find the pricing to be fairly good.

What needs improvement?

The ease of use could be improved.

We've been using the solution for about five years. We have been continuously working with FortiGate itself throughout that time. It's been a while.

So far, the stability has been pretty good for us. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. I'd describe the stability as reliable.

I can't really speak to the scalability of the solution, as it isn't as aspect I handle. I've never tried to do it, so I'm not sure how it works.

We have about 50 users on the solution. About one third have access to it.

We only really had one issue in the past where we had to deal with technical support. We needed some restoration of some data. It wasn't a bad experience. We were satisfied with their level of service. They seem to be knowledgeable and responsive.

In terms of the initial setup, the process was not complex at all. We found it to be very straightforward and easy. We didn't run into any issues setting everything up.

We have one engineer that handles ongoing maintenance for us when we need it.

The pricing is fair. I don't feel that it is too expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I've been good with using Fortinet. It's a fine tool.

Overall, I would recommend the solution to other organizations.

I would rate it a nine on a scale from one to ten.

Download our free Fortinet FortiGate Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: December 2022