Coming October 25: PeerSpot Awards will be announced! Learn more
Network Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Good dashboards and customization but needs better AI
  • "The initial setup is very good."
  • "Fortinet needs to cover more areas where threats can come from."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as anti-malware.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard is great.

It offers good customization and integration with other software.

The initial setup is very good.

What needs improvement?

The artificial intelligent aspect of it needs improvement. Having worked with Sophos Intercept X before, I found it fascinating, especially the integration between the endpoint agents and the file. The synchronized security in that solution was great.

However, with Fortinet, it's not as easy. Sophos was simpler. With Sophos, when you are securing your assets, you are securing not only the network perimeter but also the endpoints. And the threats are coming from all sorts of directions. They can come from the internet or a USB. Fortinet needs to cover more areas where threats can come from.

We've been using the solution for 12 months.

Fortinet FortiClient
October 2022
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiClient. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2022.
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Currently, we have not had any major issues in stability. I will still say that we are still experimenting with it as the product is very new. That said, in general, it is stable.

The solution can scale, and we can still scale it as well. It could be expanded further and it could be used more extensively used in our organization. We likely will increase usage.

Their products are very highly scalable. They know how to develop products that adapt to the demands that come in the industry. That is why even experimenting on some of their products is very easy for many organizations.

The product is very responsive. We are happy with them.

Positive

I've also used Sophos, which is a pretty easy, broad solution.

I've also used Kaspersky.

The setup, the design, and the deployment are pretty straightforward.

The deployment can happen in just a matter of hours.

How many people you need for maintenance depends on the organization's size. It can be done by one person.

I used to do the deployment. Right now, I do have a team that is in charge of that.

We looked into CrowdStrike, however, we did not go to the point of running a proof of concept. They suggested among the software that we were looking at, of course, Intercept X. Sophos, the endpoint agent, is very, very bulky, however. It tends to make most computers become slow when installed, so that was out of the question.

There is Gartner reporting that informs a lot of decisions when it comes to solutions that organizations choose to go for. The ones that are higher up in the ranking in the Gartner are what most organizations will go for. That said, we like to experiment with different industry solutions to gain insights.

What other advice do I have?

We're a customer and end-user.

We are using the latest version of the product.

I don't interact it on a day-to-day basis. I'm not technical.

I appreciate Fortinet as one of the industry leaders, and its product portfolio is very extensive.

I'd recommend the solution. Fortinet is an industry leader. It is known especially for the FortiGate Firewall.

We have not yet exhausted their entire portfolio. Still, I have a lot of respect for Fortinet. I will highly recommend them, whether it's a cloud solution or it's a network security solution, or an endpoint security solution.

I would rate the solution six out of ten. It's still early days and I haven't looked at it exhaustively.

Rui Ribeiro - PeerSpot reviewer
Director Of Information Technology at Banco Millennium Atlântico
User
Great integrated VPN, real-time signature scans, and central intelligence
  • "EMS central reporting with fabric connectivity to FortiGate and FortiAnalyser is great and has seamless integration which makes managing 3000 devices a breeze."
  • "Working with Distribution sometimes comes at a cost due to a lack of knowledge of the current status of your licensing and products."

What is our primary use case?

We've used the solution to remove legacy AV and replace it with a modern EP.

We worked with Symantec and Kaspersky previously, and they were very cumbersome and exhaustive on the endpoints and supporting teams.

We needed a revamp and we did a very lengthy study of several platforms. Fortinet came to discuss a holistic view and had the right architecture. We actually bought FortiClient in the hope of creating 365-degree connectivity to all-stack on the Fortinet suite, including EDR. We have not been disappointed so far.

It is easy to manage platforms and has intuitive reporting making it a breeze to administer and project future remediation.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved through these key phases:

• Study application signatures identification capabilities.
  • Get to know the fabric connection to Fortigate/EMS
  • Understanding the gain with FortiAnalyser.
  • Using the SCCM in conjunction with patching
  • Upgrade to Zero Trust with FortiEDR

The idea of a single plane of glass for all security products fits perfectly on our four-man team, and we have a collaborations team independent of Azure Cloud Services and both can easily study, interpret the reports and act on them within five minutes, to be precise.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features include:

• Vulnerability Scan
  • Integrated VPN
  • Real-Time Signature Scan
  • Central Intelligence (Fortigate with FortiAnalyser)

EMS central reporting with fabric connectivity to FortiGate and FortiAnalyser is great and has seamless integration which makes managing 3000 devices a breeze and remediation a Hollywood movie.

We can't wait for the ERD integration and get the FortiNAC onboard for a Zero-Trust platform, every day goes by and we rest assured of the decision we made three years ago.

Thank you Fortinet, we do appreciate your R&D!

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved in these areas:

1. Support (If you have the Advanced Support Services you are in heaven) if not you will be in hell for a long time.

2. Licensing Division (They are starting to understand the value of their product and slicing everything to make money)

3. EDR with EMS better integrate them on the same single plane of glass. We will be waiting for it.

4. Working with Distribution sometimes comes at a cost due to a lack of knowledge of the current status of your licensing and products.

5. Advertise needs to be better for the ELA.

We've used the solution for 36 months.

The solution was stable within 24 Months and is 100% stable.

The product is scalable and adjusts to all needs.

Technical support has been a nightmare. We are about to get a ELA and pay for the Advance Care Support.

Positive

It is relative to your internal team competencies, and generally easier than other competitors.

We implemented it with our internal team.

ROI is almost 50% compared to old solutions.

If you have the chance to revamp, ask yourself what is your vision and start designing it on paper and understand what covers betters your needs, and move towards it.

Start with your internal competencies and build on them.

We also looked into:

• Microsoft
  • Checkpoint
  • Palo Alto
  • Cisco

What other advice do I have?

The solution offers great 365 views, impressive reporting, and good product integration.

Private Cloud

Other
Fortinet FortiClient
October 2022
634,590 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Sutjipto Budiman - PeerSpot reviewer
Director at Widya Presisi Solusi
Free to use, user-friendly and offers good stability
  • "The VPN has proven to be quite useful."
  • "We'd like to be able to properly encrypt the data more effectively."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for the VPN as well as for end protection. Those are the only two use cases for us. We don't use it for anything else.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has improved our organization as the VPN has allowed us to work from home, which has been quite handy during COVID. We don't need to be at the office to access the VPN. We can work from anywhere. It's made work much more flexible.

What is most valuable?

The anti-virus that the product offers is the most valuable aspect of the solution for us.

The VPN has proven to be quite useful. We access the VPN through FortiClient.

The stability is very good.

Technical support is okay.

The version we have is free to use. It doesn't cost us anything.

We've found the solution to be very user-friendly. It's easy to navigate.

What needs improvement?

I'm now looking for some sort of option that can maybe be centrally located. We want the IP in our office to centralize the settings and so on. The one that we use, hasn't had that kind of capability to push the settings.

We'd like to be able to properly encrypt the data more effectively. We want them to offer encryption of the hard drive.

The initial setup can sometimes be complex.

I've been using the solution for a while now. It's likely been about five or so years. I've had some time to get to know it.

The stability is pretty good. there are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. Its performance is reliable.

We use the solution on every PC right now. We use FortiClient, and we are happy with it, however, we do not have plans to increase the usage as our employee count has remained the same and we haven't added anyone to our team.

Technical support is okay. It's been fine. If we need assistance, we simply create a ticket. It's not hard to get a hold of them. I would say that we are satisfied with the level of support.

We used McAfee previously. It was the standard one that is already installed in the software. It's pre-installed software that was available on the computer. However, we needed to centralize the system. That's why we use FortiClient now instead.

I haven't handled the initial setup personally. Usually, it's handled by my IT team. They are the ones that install it for me. I don't know whether it's complex, or not. However, from my point of view, sometimes I've heard that it has failed, and therefore it's possible it's quite complex.

Since I didn't handle the initial setup, and can't speak to how much time the deployment actually took.

We are currently using the free version of the solution. We don't pay a licensing fee to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

We are Fortinet partners.

I would recommend the solution to other users and companies. It's a very useful tool and I have enjoyed working with it. It meets our expectations.

I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.

Junior Network Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
MSP
Reliable with good documentation and the ability to integrate well with other Fortinet solutions
  • "There is a lot of documentation available online."
  • "We've got one client where it was blocking the smartphones, and there's a way to set it up on Fortigate that's supposed to do that. However, it didn't work with them since they had a 2FA multi-factor."

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for the SSL VPN. That's what we use it for pretty much exclusively.

What is most valuable?

It works well with the Fortigate Firewall. It works like a VPN for our customers.

We haven't really integrated it with much else other than Fortigate. However, it does integrate well with other Fortinet solutions.

There is a lot of documentation available online.

It's reliable and stable.

The solution can scale.

What needs improvement?

I don't use it enough to be able to say what could be improved.

We've got one client where it was blocking the smartphones, and there's a way to set it up on Fortigate that's supposed to do that. However, it didn't work with them since they had a 2FA multi-factor. It was integrated with a Microsoft NPS server, and it does not work with that. It just blocks everything. Therefore, it doesn't integrate well. If they like to update the Fortigate so that you can VPN in, it’s fine. However, not from smartphones. That doesn't work at all. For somebody with the NPS server, it just screwed everything up. We're still trying to fix that.

I’ve used the solution for a couple of years.

The solution is stable. It’s reliable. The performance is good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn’t crash or freeze.

The product is scalable.

From the customer side, I don't know how many users there are per client. I don't know how many clients they all have. We've got a bunch of clients that use it. I don't know how many actual people are using it. They create groups, and people get added to groups, and the groups have access. We're not involved in all that. It's probably more like hundreds, or less than 100. Probably most of our clients would've less than 100 people.

I’ve dealt with support. It's okay. It depends on who you get on the other side. Some of them are very knowledgeable, and others seem to miss the mark. It can be hit and miss.

The solution does not require a lot of maintenance. You might just need an administrator to handle it. Occasionally when things stop working, we have them check what version they have as sometimes they need to upgrade it to the latest. However, in most cases, It's pretty maintenance-free.

We’re integrators. We can handle the setup.

They've got a free version that most of our clients have. I'm not sure of the costs beyond that. When you get into the licenses with the EMS and all that, I don't know how much it costs. I'm not on the sales side.

Without really having much in the way of experience with others, it's hard for me to compare it to others.

What other advice do I have?

We’re integrators and resellers.

I don't have the full version, though, as we don't run EMS. However, one of our clients does.

There's a lot of good documentation. Just Google it. You can find what you need about the solution.

I’d rate the solution a nine out of ten.

Ralf Sooth - PeerSpot reviewer
CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Stable connection, centralized administration, and easy deployment
  • "We like its centralized administration, integration with Active Directory, deployment, and stability of the connection."
  • "The user interface on the central server could be improved."

What is our primary use case?

It is for a VPN connection. It only has one purpose, and Fortinet is doing very well.

It is used for mobile offices, and/or for our own company so that we can connect to the company network using the VPN. We also do remote access to our customer's environment. They all have FortiGate equipment for firewalls, and we connect to their networks.

We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

It fits perfectly with our FortiGate firewall equipment. We are just using FortiGate firewalls, and these FortiGate firewalls make it very easy to use FortiClient because it is just a natural fit. Another advantage is its integration with the antivirus solution of Fortinet. If someone is using the antivirus software by Fortinet, it is the same agent. So, it perfectly integrates with the complete security stack if you are using the VPN and antivirus from the same brand.

What needs improvement?

The user interface on the central server could be improved.

In terms of additional features, the only thing I could imagine is that it should handle not only FortiClient VPN connections; it should also integrate with OpenVPN, for example. They should open it up for non-FortiGate devices. It is not a must, but it would be nice to have.

I have been using this solution for about two years.

Its stability is great.

We haven't reached the limit.

The support of Fortinet for their products is great. The same is true for the Fortinet VPN client. There are a lot of online resources, and you can go through frequently asked questions. You have an online knowledge base, and you have a support company in the background to call and open a ticket with Fortinet. The responsiveness of Fortinet is very good. I would rate them a four out of five.

Positive

It is straightforward. If you set up your environment correctly and it is centrally managed, it is just a matter of 10 to 15 minutes to set up a VPN connection to a new client. It is absolutely fast.

We are an integrator. Its deployment and maintenance can be perfectly handled by one administrator. We have a team for management because if a person is on vacation or ill, the other person can take over, but one administrator would also be perfectly okay.

We do not track return on investment. So, I don't have any numbers.

I don't know it by heart, but it is comparable to other solutions. It is based on the number of clients. It is probably 50 Euros per year per client. It greatly depends on the number of clients you're handling because the more clients you are ordering it for, the cheaper it will be.

What other advice do I have?

I would totally recommend it. The stability of the connection is great. The performance is also great, and I don't see any big improvements that are necessary.

I would rate it an 8 out of 10. I haven't seen a software I would give a 10 because 10 would just mean that the company can just sit back and do nothing else in the future.

Director of Information Technology at a real estate/law firm with 201-500 employees
Competitive pricing, centralized console, and useful Fortinet fabric to secure and track the movement of data through our network
  • "Having a centralized console is a valuable feature. The Fortinet fabric is also very valuable where all different pieces talk together to secure our network and track the North, South, East, and West movement of files and data through our network."
  • "Its stability can be improved. It is not as reliable as I would like it to be. There are times when things don't work quite right. Our biggest pain point is not related to Fortinet FortiClient and the whole scheme of things. It is related to one of the additional services called FortiGuard. They are the arm that does all of the updates to definitions, keeps all the signatures updated, and responds to new threats and whatnot. What we have found is that they react quickly, but sometimes their solutions aren't compatible with all of the components of the Fortinet security suite, specifically around FortiSandbox."

What is our primary use case?

We use it for securing all of our endpoints as they move behind our firewall and outside our firewall or in and out of our network. We are using its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Having a centralized console is a valuable feature. The Fortinet fabric is also very valuable where all different pieces talk together to secure our network and track the North, South, East, and West movement of files and data through our network.

What needs improvement?

Its stability can be improved. It is not as reliable as I would like it to be. There are times when things don't work quite right.

Our biggest pain point is not related to Fortinet FortiClient and the whole scheme of things. It is related to one of the additional services called FortiGuard. They are the arm that does all of the updates to definitions, keeps all the signatures updated, and responds to new threats and whatnot. What we have found is that they react quickly, but sometimes their solutions aren't compatible with all of the components of the Fortinet security suite, specifically around FortiSandbox.

I have been using this solution for about eight months.

It is not as reliable as I would like. Its reliability is around 95%. There are times when things don't work quite right.

We're a relatively small company, and we haven't expanded really large. We're in the 500 or less range, and it works fine for our environment. I don't know how scalable it is. We will continue to use it in the foreseeable future.

They have been responsive. Sometimes, it takes them a little while to understand what the issues are. Fortinet right now has a little bit of growing pain. They have acquired a lot of different technologies over the last 18 months, and it hasn't been an absolutely smooth integration between all of those different products, support infrastructures, and developers.

Its deployment was complex and drawn out. It took a long time.

Its pricing is good. One thing that has always attracted us to the Fortinet range of products is that their pricing is very competitive.

Our particular licensing is on a yearly basis. However, as part of this project, we did pre-purchase three years of maintenance and support at a fairly significant discount.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. They are developing more EDP as it comes out, and they are staying on track with their development side and current trends.

I would recommend others to talk to Fortinet Professional Services before using a local professional. What we found as part of our long implementation was that the local professionals generally have a very good grasp of one area but not in bringing the fabric together, where you have the EMS, Folder Manager, Sandbox, all the firewalls, and other things coming together. There may be some out there who are good at it, but we ran into a number that didn't have a grasp across the whole thing, and we ended up talking directly to Fortinet Professional Services.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

Sr. Manager at Emirates Technology Solutions
A stable and reliable solution for secure and easy access to our applications
  • "Secure and easy connect is the most valuable feature. It is a reliable solution, and it works."
  • "In terms of improvements, their SSL VPN tunnel can be a lot better. I've seen other products that have got much better VPN features than Fortinet. Some of my colleagues get this error called "License not available." When they get this error, they have to uninstall and reinstall it. This kind of problem is there, and sometimes, we have to open a case with Fortinet to resolve it. Their support is quick, so we are able to resolve and move forward. In terms of new features, when it is connecting, it should check the endpoint and say whether the end client is actually safe enough or whether there is a vulnerability. It should give a pop-up on the client itself. Because I'm on the admin side, I can also see this information in the log. However, if a non-IT user, such as a user from finance, is working on this and there is some problem, he or she would not know about this and would call IT admin to say that this is not working. If the users get a message explaining why and what is happening, it is easy for them to understand."

What is our primary use case?

This is used by our employees when they need to access our bookkeeping applications, such as Tally, from outside. We also have a couple of managers for our clients, and to manage that infrastructure, I use FortiClient to connect to that firewall and manage the server storage and everything else for them.

We have most of our things on the cloud except a small unit, which is on-prem. Except for the financial bookkeeping, which we have on-prem, the rest is all on the cloud.

We are not using its latest version. We are using the previous version of the client.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

In terms of improvements, their SSL VPN tunnel can be a lot better. I've seen other products that have got much better VPN features than Fortinet.

Some of my colleagues get this error called "License not available." When they get this error, they have to uninstall and reinstall it. This kind of problem is there, and sometimes, we have to open a case with Fortinet to resolve it. Their support is quick, so we are able to resolve and move forward.

In terms of new features, when it is connecting, it should check the endpoint and say whether the end client is actually safe enough or whether there is a vulnerability. It should give a pop-up on the client itself. Because I'm on the admin side, I can also see this information in the log. However, if a non-IT user, such as a user from finance, is working on this and there is some problem, he or she would not know about this and would call IT admin to say that this is not working. If the users get a message explaining why and what is happening, it is easy for them to understand.

I have been using this solution since 2017.

It is stable and reliable.

I never had the need for scalability. I always size my requirements with a 30% buffer.

I have five users in my core office, and on the client-side, I have about ten users.

Their support is quick. They are responsive.

I am used to working with firewalls, so it is easy for me.

It is a yearly subscription license. I don't see a problem with the pricing. Resellers add their markup and then give it to us, but I don't see that as a major challenge. It is fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution. It works, and we are okay with it.

I would rate Fortinet FortiClient an eight out of ten.

Microsoft Azure
Bořivoj Tydlitát - PeerSpot reviewer
Chief Security Officer at The Mama AI
Good integration with FortiGate and supports Linux, but vulnerability scanning and reporting lacking
  • "The integration of the vulnerability scan, mobile detection, and VPN client."
  • "Compatibility issues between different versions."

What is our primary use case?

We are using an on-site EMS server for this product and our clients install it on their workstations. I'm a security officer and we are customers of Fortinet.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features for us are the integration of the vulnerability scan, mobile detection, and VPN client. The advantage of FortiClient for us is the integration with FortiGate and that they support Linux, which most other solutions do not. One-third of our users have Linux workstations.

What needs improvement?

FortiClient has compatibility issues between different versions, for example, the VPN doesn't work well between FortiClient 6.4 and FortiGate. There are usability issues with vulnerability scanning and with reporting. It's often difficult to interpret and there are inadequate features in management identity. I would appreciate a better explanation of the findings of the malware scanning and of things like real-time protection. The solution is geared toward centralized single sign-on for the workstations, which is something we do not have. From that point of view, it's not a good match. I've also found the SSL VPN very sensitive to network disruptions. The anti-ransomware feature is hard to use because when it finds something, it doesn't provide adequate information and there are false positives that are hard to identify. Generally, it's difficult to access the documentation of the APIs as it requires an invitation via sponsorship from a Fortinet employee. We had some long-running issues, but that's perhaps because our configuration is not mainstream.

I've been using this solution for over a year.

We haven't had any crashes, so the product is stable. We have problems with the stability of the VPN connection which tends to disconnect, but my impression is that it's just sensitive to network disruptions and is not related to the solution.

It's hard for me to comment on scalability because we are a company of 50 employees. We have one person who deals with maintenance for a minimal amount of time.

The technical support could be improved because it takes time to get through the first level of support, where you have to prove your case. When you get to where you need, it gets better, but just to get to someone who understands the problem can be tedious. We had some technical problems that they were never able to resolve.

The solution can be set up manually which can be quite complex on some operating systems because it requires a lot of manual settings. It can also be set up on Linux but they only support some distributions.

I believe that licensing costs $500 per year for a 25-seat pack. It's a reasonable price although for small businesses, the disadvantage is that you have to buy a minimum 25 licenses.

What other advice do I have?

I rate this solution six out of 10.

Download our free Fortinet FortiClient Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
Updated: October 2022